Aechmanthera gossypina from Chakrata Mussoorie Road pl. validate

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

22 Sept 2011, 1:30:36 pm22/09/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India

Aechmanthera gossypina (Wall. ex Nees) Nees, Pl. As. Rar. 3: 87, 1832

Syn: Ruellia tomentosa Wall.; Ruellia gossypina Nees; Aechmanthera tomentosa Nees

Small shrubby plant to 130 cm tall, covered with white felt; leaves elliptic, toothed, white-tomentose beneath; flowers purplish to blue, 2-2.5 cm long, in elongated clusters forming lax leafy spike; calyx lobes linear, densely glandulary-hairy, corolla funnel-shaped, shallowly 5-lobed.

Photographed along roadsides on Mussoorie-Chakrata Road on September 16, 2011

Please validate the identification. Here are some links

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-1.jpg
Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-2.jpg
Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-3.jpg
Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-4.jpg

Balkar Arya

22 Sept 2011, 8:25:25 pm22/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Thanks Sir for this upload Now Situation Clear but i think i missed this plant to shoot
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Balkar Arya

23 Sept 2011, 7:57:30 am23/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Finally i got my plant also
here are mine from same place
Aechmanthera gossypina (2).JPG
Aechmanthera gossypina (4).JPG
Aechmanthera gossypina (5).JPG
Aechmanthera gossypina (6).JPG
Aechmanthera gossypina (8).JPG

Gurcharan Singh

23 Sept 2011, 8:05:50 am23/09/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Yes Balkar ji, you have got it
but somehow I missed the Pteracanthus, thinking that I already had many.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

29 Aug 2014, 8:28:03 pm29/08/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Feedback as per another thread:
My earlier upload as Aechmanthera may be Strobilanthes, perhaps S. glutinosus because of petioled leaves, foliaceous looking persistent bracts although calyx is not glandular pubescent. Pl. suggest ID.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,96,000 messages on 31/7/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-1.jpg
Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-2.jpg
Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-3.jpg
Aechmanthera gossypina-Mussoorie Chakrata Road-4.jpg

J.M. Garg

30 Aug 2014, 2:37:06 am30/08/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Kishanlal
A reply:
"It looks like Aechmathera gosypina to me.
                                     Krishan Lal"

J.M. Garg

6 Sept 2014, 4:31:31 am06/09/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Singh, Kishanlal, ushaprabha page

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Feedback as per another thread:
My earlier upload as Aechmanthera may be Strobilanthes, perhaps S. glutinosus because of petioled leaves, foliaceous looking persistent bracts although calyx is not glandular pubescent. Pl. suggest ID. - from Singh ji.
It looks like Aechmathera gosypina to me.
Krishan Lal

J.M. Garg

6 Sept 2014, 10:56:37 am06/09/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Singh, Kishanlal, ushaprabha page
Thanks, Dr. Wood.

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 14:01:28 +0530
From: jmg...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com
CC: sing...@gmail.com; balka...@gmail.com; kisha...@rediffmail.com; ushapra...@gmail.com

Gurcharan Singh

2 Oct 2014, 1:05:40 pm02/10/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Balkar Singh, Kishanlal, ushaprabha page
Dear members
This plant was identifies as Aechmanthera gossypina now named as Strobilanthes tomentosa. In his personal communication he considered it as variation of this species.
The other plant which I thought actual Aechmanthera gossypina was also confirmed by Dr. Wood as S. tomentosa

To me both plants look very different. If this is correctly identified we need to have relook at other one.