sk2015sept08/08 - Commelina sp. on the bank of the pond

surajit koley

Sep 8, 2015, 2:34:48 PM9/8/15
to efloraofindia
These photographs were recorded on 02-Sept-2015 and today. This species is thriving on the bank of ponds, village drainage, even on sides of railway tracks, possibly in damp soil.

Branching and rooting at nodes.

Flowers are the size of C. benghalensis as can be seen in the last pic (flowers in right is C. benghalensis) where two species growing side by side. Leaves are upto 7.5 cm long and 2 cm wide. Only a very few leaves are narrower than this. This species doesn't flower much, only a very few shoots bear flower.

Please help.

Thank you
Regards

P1160654.jpg
P1160722.jpg
P1160658.jpg
P1160659.jpg
P1160660.jpg
P1160664.jpg
P1160667.jpg
P1160669.jpg
P1160709.jpg
P1160711.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 14, 2015, 3:47:59 AM9/14/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Commelina species so far in efi

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

P1160654.jpg
P1160722.jpg
P1160658.jpg
P1160659.jpg
P1160660.jpg
P1160664.jpg
P1160667.jpg
P1160669.jpg
P1160709.jpg
P1160711.jpg

Shobha Halwe-Chavda

Sep 14, 2015, 6:35:10 AM9/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley
Dear Suajit ji,
Isn't it Commelina forsskalii    ?
Regards,
Shobha

surajit koley

Sep 14, 2015, 11:58:49 AM9/14/15
to Shobha Halwe-Chavda, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Madam for the suggestion. But, I simply do not know how to identify a Commelina. The problem is BSI restricts the distribution of C. forsskalaei Vahl. in the Peninsular and NW India.

Regards
surajit

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Sep 15, 2015, 10:02:19 AM9/15/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley

surajit koley

Sep 15, 2015, 2:15:36 PM9/15/15
to Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Many many thanks Santhan Ji. If BSI checklist didn't prevent me I would have very much identified it with the same taxon you have suggested.

There is very much confusion between C. diffusa Burm f. and C. caroliniana Walter (in US). C. caroliniana is conspecific with C. hasskarlii of India - http://www.jstor.org/stable/1220885?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents.

This species is C. hasskarlii C. B. Clarke.

Attached here relevant docs (downloaded from the net) for your perusal and further opinion.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group
116_IJAR-5827.pdf
2907-11801-1-PB.pdf

J.M. Garg

Sep 28, 2015, 6:50:38 AM9/28/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, Shobha Halwe-Chavda

Forwarding again for validation please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Isn't it Commelina forsskalii ?

Regards,
Shobha

Thank you very much Madam for the suggestion. But, I simply do not know how to identify a Commelina. The problem is BSI restricts the distribution of C. forsskalaei Vahl. in the Peninsular and NW India.

Regards
surajit

Commelina diffusa Burm.f.,- from Santhan ji.

Many many thanks Santhan Ji. If BSI checklist didn't prevent me I would have very much identified it with the same taxon you have suggested.
There is very much confusion between C. diffusa Burm f. and C. caroliniana Walter (in US). C. caroliniana is conspecific with C. hasskarlii of India - http://www.jstor.org/stable/1220885?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents.
This species is C. hasskarlii C. B. Clarke.
Attached here relevant docs (downloaded from the net) for your perusal and further opinion.
Thank you
Regards
surajit koley

Sep 28, 2015, 7:26:10 AM9/28/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, manudev madhavan
Thanks, Manudev ji.

Sep 28, 2015, 1:32:26 PM9/28/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, manudev madhavan
Thanks to Manudev ji and Garg Sir.
BSI checklist for this region can be viewed at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/rYFxY20DU3g/8-oX_700FwAJ.
As per per the checklist above C. diffusa Burm. f. not to be found in this regionhttp://efloraindia.nic.in/efloraindia/speciesDesc_PCL.action?species_id=2483.
Even if we assume that the BSI checklist is outdated, and C. diffusa later finds its way to south Bengal also, I doubt if such an introduced (in this region) species can be so pervasive. In fact this is the most common Commelina thriving everywhere in SINGUR, HARIPAL, DANKUNI, CHANDITALA blocks of Hooghly districts. Presently the species is not in flowering state. Only one or two can be seen in one or two population. All my previous uploads of this species in this group and in facebook group (4 years ago) had been identified as diffusa!

Now, something about Manudev Ji's points (ruling out caroliniana Walter) -
  1. no where it was/is mentioned that caroliniana cannot have an upper cincinnus. Instead what author noted in his paper is "upper cyme usually vestigial (rarely well developed and 1-flowered)." The same has been copied in FoNA. Against this FBI, Bengal Plants, of-course outdated, noted "upper cymes 2-4 flowered.". The author's view in the paper (page 45) I referred can also be taken account in this regard.
  2. no where I could find mention of spathe in caroliniana is serrulate!
  3. spathe of caroliniana "margins distinct, usually cilliate, apex acuminate, glabrous or very sparsely pilose."
If, based on the above 3 points, we want to negate the probability of this species being hasskarlii (caroliniana) yet accepting the probability of diffusa as Manudev Ji has indicated we need to see/read the author's view in the paper I referred - "... Although a detailed comparision between C. caroliniana and C. diffusa and the variation exhibited by these species in the United States will be the subject of another paper, specimens of the two species can be separated by the following key :
  • Spathes not all to slightly falcate; upper cyme usually vestigial (rarely.....).... capsules....   .... C. caroliniana
  • Spathes usually distinctly falcate; upper cyme in larger spathes usually well developed and 1-several-flowered; capsules... C. diffusa
Interesting ..... until we examine a number of spathes and cymes at different locations of several populations!!!

(as for naming convention I followed BSI checklist which doesn't mention caroliniana)
(as for benghalensis I mentioned it in the initiating post itself !!!)

Thank you
Regards
(simply) surajit koley
! no "Sir", no "Dr.", no "Ji" !

surajit koley

Sep 28, 2015, 2:36:29 PM9/28/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, manudev madhavan
Since we are discussing upper cyme, three more pics of this specimen of same population.

Thank you
Regards
(simply) surajit koley
! no "Sir", no "Dr.", no "Ji" !

P1160754.jpg
P1160670.jpg
P1160722.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 8, 2015, 1:43:29 AM10/8/15

--
Manudev K Madhavan

Thanks to Manudev ji ....
[...]

surajit koley

Oct 10, 2015, 2:11:04 PM10/10/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I fail to find any reason to rule out possibility of C. caroliniana Walter (C. hasskarlii C. B. Clarke).

Thank you
Regards
(simply) surajit koley
! no "Sir", no "Dr.", no "Ji" !

Mayur Nandikar

Dec 7, 2015, 6:06:30 AM12/7/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Few more days required to conclude its identity. For time being keep it in Commlelina diffusa
Mayur D. Nandikar,
Department of Botany,
Goa University,
Taleigao Plateau,
Goa 403 206

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2021, 2:31:01 AM1/12/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley, Saroj Kasaju

Earlier feedback:

Few more days required to conclude its identity. For time being keep it in Commlelina diffusa.  - from Mayur ji.

Jan 18, 2021, 2:21:14 AM1/18/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley

Mar 13, 2021, 12:33:07 PM3/13/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Well, Sir, unless Mayur ji (or some other member) determines the species let it remain as Commelina sp.

Thank you.

With regards,

Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

Mar 17, 2021, 12:16:27 PM3/17/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley
Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please, as Commlelina diffusa

Jul 31, 2021, 11:37:02 AM7/31/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 31, 2021, 11:57:55 AM7/31/21
to indiantreepix, surajitkoley
Aug 1, 2021, 2:07:32 AM8/1/21
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Sir, thank you for taking care.

I think it is Commelina diffusa as Mayur ji and others suggested earlier. it's perhaps the commonest Commelina here, growing everywhere.

Regards,

Surajit