sk2015sept02/02 - BSI checklist of Commelina

surajit koley

Sep 8, 2015, 9:11:26 AM9/8/15
to efloraofindia
This is no particular species photographs. It's an introduction to my next couple of threads.

Interestingly, Commelina diffusa Burm. f. likely not to be found in our area. This is because Hooghly district (South of West Bengal) doesn't fall under the BSI specified regional distribution of the species http://efloraindia.nic.in/efloraindia/speciesDesc_PCL.action?species_id=2483.

Yet, Sir Prain thought it was distributed in the western & northern provinces of then Bengal. Haines also recorded the same in his book BoBO. lease check the attached literature.

So, I keep the species, C. diffusa Burm.f. in my following table -

speciesdistributionleavesspatheflower
1C. diffusa Burm, f.Peninsular, NE & NW India, E Himalaya, Andaman & Nicobarlanceolate, 1.5-3 x 0.33-0.67 inch, ciliate0.67-1 inch, acute, base rounded or cordate, striate

Haines = 0.75-2 inch
smaller petals blue, outer pale or white

Haines = flower blue 0.5 inch diam
2C. longifolia Lam. = C. salicifolia Roxb.Peninsular, E, NE Indialinear lanceolate, 3-6 x 0.16-0.5 inch, nearly glabrous, sheaths ciliolate1.5-2 inch, axillary, solitary, acute to acuminate, base roundedsmall, dark blue

Haines = smaller than diffusa
3C. hasskarlii C.B.Cl.throughout Indianarrowly lanceolate, 1-3 x 0.5-0.67 inch, subacute to obtuse, sheaths short0.5-1 inch, axillary, base rounded, longer than peduncle,
4C. attenuata Koen. ex vahlalmost throughout Indialinear or lanceolate, 1-2 (3 Haines) x 0.25-0.5 inch, obtuse or sub-acute0.33-1.5 inch, acute or caudate-acuminate, longer than peduncles, base auricled, deeply cordatesmall, blue

Haines = very small, brownish sepal
5C. apendiculata C.B.Cl.E, NE India, E Himalayalinear or linear-lanceolate, 4-6 x 0.17-0.67 inch, narrowed at both ends,very long peduncled, 2-3 inch, caudate-acuminate, base cordate
6C. benghalensis L.throughout India

7C. maculata Edgwe. = C. obliqua Buch-Ham. ex D. Don = C. paludosa Bl.throughout Indialanceolate, 4-7 x 1-2 inch, acute or caudate-acuminate,0.75-1.5 inch, usually in terminal heads, solitary or crowded, funnel shapedblue
8C. suffruticosa Bl.C, N, E & NE Indialanceolate, 3-14 x 0.75-2 inch, acuminate, sheaths auricled0.33-0.5 inch, panicled or clustered

Haines = spathe funnel shaped

9

C. tuberosa L. also likely to be found in our region as per BSI. But that species is different than the usual ones I see around. So, I left the 9th space of my table blank.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group
Bengal_Plants.jpg
Botany_of_Bihar_and_Orissa.jpg

surajit koley

Sep 16, 2015, 1:56:54 PM9/16/15
to efloraofindia
I am very surprised that why both FBI and BoBo recorded flowers of C. salicifolia Roxb. are small while Roxburgh himslef noted flowers are large and petals are equal..!

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

FI.I.172.jpg

surajit koley

Sep 19, 2015, 2:43:03 PM9/19/15
to efloraofindia
This is what Lamarck noted on C. longifolia - http://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/33349848#page/155/mode/1up. BSI informs the species is distributed in Peninsular, E & NE India. Isn't it surprising that till to date we have no representative in our database?

This is the only species I have ever come across which has larger flowers then the rest. I was very confused when Mayur Ji and Manudev Ji identified two of my threads, featuring this large flower, as C. diffusa Burm f. More so, because earlier Mayur Ji identified a smaller flower (where petals are not equal) a species as C. diffusa Burm.. f.

I have Mayur Ji's paper on C. beddomei and Manudev Ji's paper on C. andamanica with me. So. I still feel shaky while writing this.

I came to know that C. coelestis Willd. looks similar in another thread, but differs in some respect - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/RaAjZgNORCA/74FO9kxJeTAJ.

Even the Bangladesh doc i uploaded in one of my recent threads is confusing!

With so many pseudobotanists (me too!) playing in the net there are only two pics of C. longifolia -
Where is Roxburgh's C. salicifolia, I thought!

As for C. hasskarlii C.B. Clarke, the docs and the links I shared in another my recent thread will tell that it is exceedingly similar to C. diffusa Burm. f. The description in efloras would tell the flowers are of the size of C. benghalensis.

BSi informs C. hasskarlii is distributed throughout our country yet we do not have it in our database!!!

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

J.M. Garg

Oct 4, 2015, 4:25:39 AM10/4/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

surajit koley

Oct 4, 2015, 9:47:31 AM10/4/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Regarding flower size, whatever Haines might have recorded in his book BoBO, there is no question of confusing Commelina longifolia Lam. with C. diffusa Burm.f. (or that with C. hasskarlii C. B. Clarke / C. caroliniana Walter).

C. longifolia Lam. has the largest flower and equal petals I have ever seen.

The confusion is between C. hasskarlii C. B. Clarke (synonymous with C. caroliniana Walter) and C. diffusa Burm. f. and the discussion is open in https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/aulqw5hOoZk/C02DimNGFwAJ.

I think my pond species is C. caroliniana Walter (syn. C. hasskarlii C.B. Clarke), for its less or no falcate spathe.

Thank you
Regards
(simply) surajit koley
! no "Sir", no "Dr.", no "Ji" !