Names of Plants in India :: Bonnaya antipoda (L.) Druce

Dinesh Valke

Aug 21, 2023, 12:28:00 AM8/21/23
to efloraofindia

Bonnaya antipoda (L.) Druce

¿ bon-NEY-ah ? -- named for Charles François, Marquis de Bonnay (1750-1825), French military officer, politician and diplomat, student of botany ... Plant genera named after people (1753-1853) by José A. Mari Mut
an-te-PO-da or an-TIP-uh-da -- from the Greek, anti (opposite) and pous (foot), referring to people or places diametrically opposite on the globe ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: fart weed, sparrow false pimpernel • Assamese: বগা কাঁচিডৰিয়া baga kachidoria • Bengali: সাদা পানি ঘাস sada pani ghas, জাই ঘাস zai ghas • Khamti: yakio • Konkani: शेवाळ sheval • Marathi: शेवाळ sheval • Tamil: தண்ணிப் பூண்டு thanni poondu • Telugu: నీళ్ల పుండు neella pundu

botanical names: Bonnaya antipoda (L.) Druce ... homotypic synonyms: Lindernia antipoda (L.) Alston • Ruellia antipoda L. ... heterotypic synonyms: Bonnaya bracteata Griff. • Bonnaya verbenifolia (Colsm.) Spreng. • Lindernia verbenifolia (Colsm.) Pennell ... and many more at POWO
Bibliography / etymology
Links listed as references in the notes below, may not remain valid permanently. Portals / websites have a tendency to re-organize / revise their content, leading to change in URLs of pages in their site. Some sites may even close down at their own will.
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
fart weed
sparrow false pimpernel
~~~~~ ASSAMESE ~~~~~
বগা কাঁচিডৰিয়া baga kachidoria
  • Many thanks to Ashim Gogoi for help with this name ... facebook
~~~~~ BENGALI ~~~~~
সাদা পানি ঘাস sada pani ghas, জাই ঘাস zai ghas
  • Many thanks to Subham Sahu for help with these names for Lindernia antipoda (L.) Alston ... facebook
~~~~~ KHAMTI ~~~~~
yakio
~~~~~ KONKANI ~~~~~
शेवाळ sheval
  • name borrowed from Marathi, for want of name
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
शेवाळ sheval
  • Many thanks to Swagat Thorat for help with this name for Lindernia antipoda (L.) Alston ... efloraofindia
  • this name is quite generic, and normally applied to mosses and other tiny aquatic plants which spread over wet walls and ground
~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
தண்ணிப் பூண்டு thanni poondu
~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
నీళ్ల పుండు neella pundu
~~~~~ DISTRIBUTION in INDIA ~~~~~
Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, *Bihar, *Jharkhand, Goa, *Gujarat, *Karnataka, *Kerala, *Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, *Meghalaya, *Odisha, Tamil Nadu, *Tripura, *Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal
* no given name / no name found, in the regional language(s) of the state
~~~~~ x ~~~~~

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Aug 21, 2023, 5:05:00 AM8/21/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice pic and excellent work dear Dinesh ji,
With regards, Sam.

M Swamy

Aug 21, 2023, 7:47:28 AM8/21/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,
As of now  there is no name in Kannada for this plant .  As such I have coined a new word based on  South Indian languages namely  Tamil and Teleugu..
I think the word  "ನೀರು ಬೆಳ್ಳುಳ್ಳಿ" (Neeru Bellulli)  mIeaning water garlic  is more suitable.  The name derived using the Tamil name   Thanni Poondu and  Telugu   name  Neella Pundu .  Both the names mean water garlic.  Therefore, I have derived the equivalent name in Kannada.  If you feel  it is O.K.you may incorporate.
Thanks & Regards,

Dinesh Valke

Aug 21, 2023, 8:21:33 AM8/21/23
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Thanks very much, dear Mahadeswara ji, for coining this name.

I had discussed with Vijayasankar ji for coining a Tamil name for Bonnaya gracilis based on the name "thanni poondu" given to Bonnaya antipoda. I too was under the impression that "poondu" means garlic. However, he pointed out that the word "poondo" in this context means "herb", thus "thanni poondu" would mean "aquatic herb".

Therefore, I request you to think in terms of the generic "aquatic herb" ... perhaps, ನೀರು ಸೊಪ್ಪು neeru soppu. I leave it to your discretion.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Aug 21, 2023, 8:36:05 AM8/21/23
to efloraofindia
Removed the Marathi (शेवाळ sheval) and Konkani (शेवाळ sheval) names of this plant.
One of my facebook friend pointed out that शेवाळ sheval has been misapplied to this plant; it is just a generic name for moss and other aquatic non-flowering plants.

Bonnaya antipoda (L.) Druce

Bonnaya antipoda (L.) Druce

¿ bon-NEY-ah ? -- named for Charles François, Marquis de Bonnay (1750-1825), French military officer, politician and diplomat, student of botany ... Plant genera named after people (1753-1853) by José A. Mari Mut
an-te-PO-da or an-TIP-uh-da -- from the Greek, anti (opposite) and pous (foot), referring to people or places diametrically opposite on the globe ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: fart weed, sparrow false pimpernel • Assamese: বগা কাঁচিডৰিয়া baga kachidoria • Bengali: সাদা পানি ঘাস sada pani ghas, জাই ঘাস zai ghas • Khamti: yakio • Tamil: தண்ணிப் பூண்டு thanni poondu • Telugu: నీళ్ల పుండు neella pundu

[...]

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 22, 2023, 9:03:26 AM8/22/23
to eFloraofIndia
Another great contribution Dinesh ji.