Names of Plants in India :: Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland

Dinesh Valke

Sep 17, 2016, 1:11:06 AM9/17/16
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
via Species‎ > ‎E‎ > ‎
Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland ... family: Eriocaulaceae

Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland

Flowers of India Discussions at efloraofindia more views in flickr more views on Google Earth

er-ee-oh-KAW-lon -- Greek: erion (wool), kaulos (plant stem) ... Dave's Botanary
¿ roh-BUS-tuh-brow-nee-AH-num ? -- more robust in its habit than of Eriocaulon brownianum Mart. ... efloraofindia

commonly known asMysore pipewort • Malayalamമൈസൂർ ചൂത് Mysore chooth • Marathiमैसूर गेंद Mysore gend

botanical namesEriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland ... synonymsEriocaulon mysorense Fyson • Eriocaulon rhodae Fyson ... The Plants List (2013). Version 1.1.

December 17, 2012 ... along Kumta Sirsi Road

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Sep 19, 2016, 10:12:27 PM9/19/16
to Dinesh Valke, flowers india, efloraofindia

Thanks, Dinesh ji

J.M. Garg

Sep 22, 2016, 6:26:16 AM9/22/16
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Hi, Dinesh ji.
This the first post in efi so far for this species.
So pl. post more images so that these are incorporated in efi site.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Dinesh Valke

Sep 22, 2016, 8:49:55 AM9/22/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Oh sure, Garg ji.
Will do it tonight or so.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Oct 15, 2022, 1:29:16 AM10/15/22
to eFloraofIndia
Names compiled / updated at https://dineshvalke.blogspot.com/2022/10/eriocaulon-robustobrownianum-ruhland.html

Regards.
Dinesh

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 at 18:19:55 UTC+5:30 Dinesh Valke wrote:
Oh sure, Garg ji.
Will do it tonight or so.
Regards.
Dinesh

On 17 September 2016 at 10:41, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
via Species‎ > ‎E‎ > ‎
Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland ... family: Eriocaulaceae

Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland

Flowers of India Discussions at efloraofindia more views in flickr more views on Google Earth

er-ee-oh-KAW-lon -- Greek: erion (wool), kaulos (plant stem) ... Dave's Botanary
¿ roh-BUS-tuh-brow-nee-AH-num ? -- more robust in its habit than of Eriocaulon brownianum Mart. ... efloraofindia

commonly known asMysore pipewort • Malayalamമൈസൂർ ചൂത് Mysore chooth • Marathiमैसूर गेंद Mysore gend

botanical namesEriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland ... synonymsEriocaulon mysorense Fyson • Eriocaulon rhodae Fyson ... The Plants List (2013). Version 1.1.

December 17, 2012 ... along Kumta Sirsi Road

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Oct 15, 2022, 1:35:06 AM10/15/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland

Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland

er-ee-oh-KAW-lon -- Greek: erion (wool), kaulos (plant stem) ... Dave's Botanary
¿ roh-BUS-tuh-brow-nee-AH-num ? -- more robust in its habit than of Eriocaulon brownianum Mart. ... efloraofindia

commonly known as: Mysore pipewort • Kannada: ಮೈಸೂರು ಗುಂಡು mysuru gundu • Malayalam: മൈസൂർ ചൂത് mysur chooth • Marathi: मैसूर गेंद mysoor gend

botanical names: Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland ... heterotypic synonyms: Eriocaulon mysorense Fyson ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
Mysore pipewort
  • name given for want of name by Flowers of India; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of pipewort
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
ಮೈಸೂರು ಗುಂಡು mysuru gundu
  • name given for want of name; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of ಮೈಸೂರು ಗುಂಡು mysuru = Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of ಗುಂಡು gundu = sphere
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
മൈസൂർ ചൂത് mysur chooth
  • Many thanks to Ajith Unnikrishnan, VC Balakrishnan and Vinaya Raj V R for their comments at facebook ... name given for want of name; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of മൈസൂർ mysur = Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of ചൂത് chooth
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
मैसूर गेंद mysoor gend
  • name given for want of name; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of मैसूर mysoor = Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of गेंद gend = ball
~~~~~ x ~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "eFloraofIndia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/19ecd055-a774-4f84-94be-a1814bc9f47en%40googlegroups.com.

J.M. Garg

Oct 15, 2022, 2:10:30 AM10/15/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, DineshValke
Thanks, Dinesh ji

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Mahadeswara

Oct 15, 2022, 7:31:00 AM10/15/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dinesh ji,
I will go through and offer my comments in a day or two on adaptation of the word Gend in Kannada  and renaming after the word.
With Regards,

Dinesh Valke

Oct 15, 2022, 8:45:27 AM10/15/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Mahadeswara Swamy
Dear Mahadeswara ji,
The name coined in Kannada is ಮೈಸೂರು ಗುಂಡು mysuru gundu
The word gend is used in Marathi.
I hope you are going to validate the Kannada name ... ಮೈಸೂರು ಗುಂಡು mysuru gundu

Regards.
Dinesh

Prof. Dr. Santhosh Kumar Rajamani

Oct 15, 2022, 10:07:19 AM10/15/22
to Efloraofindia
Dear Valke ji and Garg ji

The classification of Aquatic plants Eriocaulon is understandably complex, could you point the unique species identification points? Or better do you have a taxonomic key?

Identification till Genus Eriocaulon is very easy.

I am seeing and collecting a lot Erios (as they are known among Aquarists)  but no idea about their classification.

In addition many Erios are endangered like for example Eriocaulon ratanagiricum. A clear ID will help in conservation.

Thank you

Dinesh Valke

Oct 15, 2022, 11:33:32 AM10/15/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Prof Santhosh Rajamani ji,
I fully agree identifying Eriocaulon spp. to specific ID requires proper analysis as per keys.
ID of posted Eriocaulon as E. robustobrownianum was suggested by Shrikant ji Ingalhalikar, author of "Flowers of Sahyadri" book series - field guides to identify plants of northern Western Ghats.

Regards.
Dinesh

M Swamy

Oct 18, 2022, 7:49:33 AM10/18/22
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,
मैसूर गेंद mysoor gend
  • name given for want of name; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorensemysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of मैसूर mysoor = Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of गेंद gend = ball
With reference to the above I wish to  add my comments as follows :
    I suggest you may change it to Mysoru chendu  (   Chendu =  Ball )  ;  ಮೈಸೂರು ಚೆಂಡು.   The correct word for ball in Kannada is Chendu .   Hence,  Mysoru chendu  (   Chendu =  Ball )  ;  ಮೈಸೂರು ಚೆಂಡು  is  very  appropriate if you are deriving fresh name.   The common     Marigold ( Tagetes erecta )  is called ಚೆಂಡು ಹೂವು , based on  the nature of the flowers in the form of  a ball .  Hence, I  feel the word proposed by me is more appropriate in Kannada rather then Mysore gendu.
Thanks & Regards,
M.Swamy

M Swamy

Oct 18, 2022, 7:51:40 AM10/18/22
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Kindly read  'Mysoru chendu'    as  " Mysuru chenduwherever it is mentioned in my previous mail.  Sorry for the typo.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 18, 2022, 8:39:14 AM10/18/22
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Many many thanks dear Mahadeswara ji for this great help with new name in Kannada for Eriocaulon robustobrownianum.
I will revise the compilation to ಮೈಸೂರು ಚೆಂಡು Mysuru chendu, and post the revised compilation shortly.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Oct 18, 2022, 8:48:14 AM10/18/22
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Kannada name revised ...

Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland

Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland

er-ee-oh-KAW-lon -- Greek: erion (wool), kaulos (plant stem) ... Dave's Botanary
¿ roh-BUS-tuh-brow-nee-AH-num ? -- more robust in its habit than of Eriocaulon brownianum Mart. ... efloraofindia

commonly known as: Mysore pipewort • Kannada: ಮೈಸೂರು ಚೆಂಡು Mysuru chendu • Malayalam: മൈസൂർ ചൂത് mysur chooth • Marathi: मैसूर गेंद mysoor gend

botanical names: Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland ... heterotypic synonyms: Eriocaulon mysorense Fyson ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
Mysore pipewort
  • name given for want of name by Flowers of India; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of pipewort
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
ಮೈಸೂರು ಚೆಂಡು Mysuru chendu
  • name given for want of name; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of ಮೈಸೂರು mysuru = Mysore, during British rule in India ; and ಚೆಂಡು chendu = ball -- the flower head of Eriocaulon spp. have resemblance to ball
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
മൈസൂർ ചൂത് mysur chooth
  • Many thanks to Ajith Unnikrishnan, VC Balakrishnan and Vinaya Raj V R for their comments at facebook ... name given for want of name; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of മൈസൂർ mysur = Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of ചൂത് chooth
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
मैसूर गेंद mysoor gend
  • name given for want of name; literal translation of the scientific name - Eriocaulon mysorense; mysorense = of or from the erstwhile state of मैसूर mysoor = Mysore, during British rule in India ; the genus name Eriocaulon is given a generic name of गेंद gend = ball
~~~~~ x ~~~~~

M Swamy

Oct 18, 2022, 8:59:06 AM10/18/22
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Dinesh ji for accepting my suggestion. A great encouragement to me to contribute more & support your efforts.
With Regards,

J.M. Garg

Oct 18, 2022, 10:55:25 AM10/18/22
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, M Swamy
Great efforts, Mahadeswara ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 18, 2022, 12:36:28 PM10/18/22
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Dear Mahadeswara ji,
It is the other way round - I thank you always for your close collaboration with my work of compiling the regional names. Of course, I thank all other dear members like Saroj ji, Kiratsinh ji, Prasanta ji, Lalithamba ji, Vijayasankar ji, Viplav ji; I am afraid I may have missed a few more collaborators' names.

So much said, I am copying the blog here once more. I had missed adding the "many thanks" line in the Kannada bibliography notes.

[...]

  • Many thanks to Dr Mahadeswara Swamy for help with this name ... efloraofindia