Names of Plants in India :: etymology of epithet robustobrownianum

Visto 20 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Dinesh Valke

no leída,
16 sept 2016, 10:00:1816/9/16
a efloraofindia,Dinesh Valke
Dear friends,
I could not find any clue to what the epithet robustobrownianum in context of Eriocaulon robustobrownianum Ruhland stands for.
Hopefully someone helps with the etymology.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar Raman

no leída,
16 sept 2016, 12:28:1816/9/16
a Dinesh Valke,efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,

I was able to trace back to the original publication by Engler in 1903 (see attached). Although there is no direct mention of etymology of the specific epithet in the protologue, we can infer something. First of all, the specific epithet is originally hyphenated (robusto-Brownianum). And, there is another species called Eriocaulon brownianum (the first letter of specific names derived from name of a person or place was usually capitalized in the past). I assume that this plant, E. robusto-brownianum, is morphologically somewhat similar to E. brownianum but comparatively more ''robust'' in its habit, i.e. the peduncles could be more in number and/or stouter than those of E. brownianum. This is just a hypothesis, though!

Vijayasankar

Vijayasankar Raman
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, USA
Eriocaulon robusto-brownianum.pdf

Dinesh Valke

no leída,
16 sept 2016, 14:15:5016/9/16
a Vijayasankar Raman,efloraofindia
Thank you very much Vijayasankar ji; your analysis is convincing, and etymology should be so. I too was thinking that robusto could be a descriptive prefix, when I saw few instances of the hyphenated epithet, as in Herbarium JCB, IISc, ... but did not know of another species E, brownianum. Thank you very much.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dr Pankaj Kumar

no leída,
19 sept 2016, 1:00:4419/9/16
a efloraofindia,dinesh...@gmail.com
I agree with Vijay although in the protologue it mentions SUBROBUST, but such terms are usually in comparison with another existing species, eg. Balanopsis and Cyclobalanopsis. Sometimes names are even in parts or just to sound like an existing name or just opposite of the wording of an existing name:
Thismia : Thomas Smith, some say it is opposite of SMITH.
Sedirea: Opposite of another orchid Aerides because flower looks like it but obviously not same genus.
Thanks and regards
Pankaj

Dinesh Valke

no leída,
19 sept 2016, 6:52:1419/9/16
a Dr Pankaj Kumar,efloraofindia
Thanks very much Pankaj; thanks for the additional information.
Regards.
Dinesh

Nidhan Singh

no leída,
22 sept 2016, 23:17:2222/9/16
a Dinesh Valke,Dr Pankaj Kumar,efloraofindia
Got to know so many things from this discussion, thanks Dinesh Ji, Vijayasankar Ji and Pankaj Ji..

Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany