Linda Ellis

Mar 15, 2019, 12:49:09 PM3/15/19
to AtoM Users
Trying to set up AtoM, I'm trying to import data from spreadsheets.  I was thinking first step would be to import Physical Storage records from a spreadsheet that contains all the locations in the archive before importing my archival descriptions but I can't find any explanations of how to import Physical Storage records.

I'm completely new to AtoM so I maybe going about this in the wrong way.  Any help much appreciated.

Dan Gillean

Mar 15, 2019, 1:32:20 PM3/15/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Linda,

AtoM doesn't currently have a separate CSV import or export for physical storage data. However, you can add physical storage information to related descriptions in the archival description CSV. See:
Please be sure to read the CSV import documentation closely - especially the part on preparing the CSV! We strongly recommend using LibreOffice Calc over MS Excel if you are using a spreadsheet program - MS Excel has been known to introduce issues because of their insistence on using custom line endings and character encodings. See:
You can also find this in previous forum posts as the source of many issues. For example:
We've also had some discussions about the current limitations of the physical storage module in AtoM in the forum recently, that it might be helpful to peruse before you begin. These also include some suggested workarounds, mainly having to do with naming conventions. See for example:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:49 PM Linda Ellis <li...@orangeleaf.com> wrote:
Trying to set up AtoM, I'm trying to import data from spreadsheets.  I was thinking first step would be to import Physical Storage records from a spreadsheet that contains all the locations in the archive before importing my archival descriptions but I can't find any explanations of how to import Physical Storage records.

I'm completely new to AtoM so I maybe going about this in the wrong way.  Any help much appreciated.

Linda Ellis

Mar 15, 2019, 1:37:27 PM3/15/19
to AtoM Users
Thanks Dan

Glad I'm using Libre Calc then!

Linda Ellis

Apr 1, 2019, 10:42:41 AM4/1/19
to AtoM Users
I've managed to download AtoM, Virtual Box etc onto my PC so that I can try and learn how AtoM works but have a problem when I try to import an EAD XML file, I get an error:

Sorry, something went wrong.
The server returned a 500 Internal Server Error.

Try again a little later or ask in the discussion group.

Not being techie this has thrown me and would appreciate any advice to fix this.

Dan Gillean

Apr 1, 2019, 11:26:58 AM4/1/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Linda,

Any time you encounter a 500 error, the first thing you should check would be the webserver error logs to see if more information is available - in this case Nginx is our webserver. You can check the logs with the following command:
You'll also find a lot of troubleshooting tips on this page:
My guess is that the job scheduler needs to be restarted. Try the following:

If that doesn't help resolve the issue, please let me know more about what you were doing (e.g. import via the user interface or the command-line, etc), and any relevant messages in the error log, and I will try to assist.

-----

One other thing worth mentioning about the Vagrant box: because it is intended for testing and development, by default the AtoM Vagrant box will install our latest development branch - in this case, our 2.5 development branch. However, it will require manual updating to make sure that you are seeing all the recent work we've done as we prepare for the 2.5 release! Essentially, as soon as 2.4.0 was released, we created the qa/2.5.x development branch for the 2.5 release, and then prepared a new vagrant box. The AtoM Vagrant box is essentially an image of an AtoM installation frozen in time - so despite the fact that a lot of work has gone into the 2.5 release since we created the Vagrant box, it doesn't automatically appear in the Vagrant box unless you manually pull in the changes. Below I will include instructions on how you could update the box manually yourself.

First, if you have created any data in the Vagrant box that you want to preserve, we'll need to back it up first, because we are going to purge it all. Slides 11-12 in this deck will show you how to back up the database and the uploads folder, and slide 14 will show you how to reload it again later. If your data is just test data and you don't mind losing it, you can skip this - but otherwise, back up the data now!!

Once that is done, let's begin updating our Vagrant environment so we can see the latest features and bug fixes in 2.5:

First, let's check what branch you are on:
  • git branch
It should show you qa/2.5.x if you have the latest Vagrant box installed. If it doesn't, then try the following command to track the 2.5 branch:
  • git checkout qa/2.5.x
Now we'll pull in the latest changes, and rebuild our AtoM code base against those changes:
  • git pull --rebase
Now let's purge everything! Using the --demo option with this command will skip confirmation, and will automatically create a demo admin account (de...@example.com, password: demo) for you to use. WARNING: this is the step that will flush ALL existing data from your system. If you want to keep anything, be sure to export it or make a backup first!
  • php symfony tools:purge --demo
Let's make sure the database schema is up-to-date - run the upgrade task:
  • php symfony tools:upgrade-sql -B
Populate the search index:
  • php symfony search:populate
Let's also remake the CSS, in case any page styling elements have changed, to ensure they render properly:
  • make -C plugins/arDominionPlugin
Clear the application cache:
  • php symony cc
Restart services (PHP-FPM, memcached, and the atom-worker):
  • sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
  • sudo systemctl restart memcached
  • sudo systemctl restart atom-worker
Now you're good to go! You can follow slides 13-15 to reload your data if you wish. You will probably want to repopulate the search index, clear the cache, and restart services after loading your data.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.