Searching Location Fields for Museum Artifacts

colle...@cumberlandmuseum.ca

Jun 21, 2018, 3:53:27 PM6/21/18
to AtoM Users
Hi All,

I am wondering how others have used the Location Information field when searching or if there is another field option around this when using RAD standard fields. In a museum setting it is sometimes ideal to search for all items in a certain box or shelf within an archive for example. The Accessions module is searchable i see, but i am finding it difficult to search in this way- should the data in the Location information field but entered in a certain way to make the searching process easier? currently we are entering it as: Artifact Storage Room: Shelf: 4 Box: 13

Is it ideal to put this info in a different field?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Dan Gillean

Jun 21, 2018, 5:01:07 PM6/21/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the location information is indexed on the archival description page.

You should be able to search for your container name in the dedicated search provided on the Manage > Physical storage page.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Dan Gillean

Jun 21, 2018, 5:15:05 PM6/21/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Woops, sorry!

I read your question too quickly, and see that I've misunderstood.

The free-text Location information field on the accession records IS indexed, and should be searchable via the Accessions search box (Manage > Accessions).  See:

We use Elasticsearch as the search index in AtoM. Some special characters are considered "reserved" in ES, and consequently are either stripped from the Elastisearch index, or can throw errors. - and it seems that the colon is one of these. See:
So, it's possible that your search is actually querying without those colons, and that's why it isn't finding matches. You can try a couple things:
  • First, try putting the search phrase in quotations. This will make it an exact search, and should allow the search to include the colons.
  • Try the same search without the colons - e.g. search for  Artifact Storage Room Shelf 4 Box 13. When you do this, AtoM is actually performing a Boolean search on the terms (and it may still be using OR as the default operator on this page - we've changed it to AND elsewhere, but I'm not sure about here), so you may get results that only match some of the terms in that string, but it should include the results you need as well.
Finally, you can try using the ES search fieldname to target the Location information field directly, like so (assuming your location information was entered in English):
  • i18n.en.locationInformation:"Artifact Storage Room: Shelf: 4 Box: 13"
The first link I shared above has a list of all the Elasticsearch field names that are indexed for the Accessions module. We have introductory instructions on how to use these for expert searching here:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM, <collections@cumberlandmuseum.ca> wrote:
Hi All,

I am wondering how others have used the Location Information field when searching or if there is another field option around this when using RAD standard fields. In a museum setting it is sometimes ideal to search for all items in a certain box or shelf within an archive for example. The Accessions module is searchable i see, but i am finding it difficult to search in this way- should the data in the Location information field but entered in a certain way to make the searching process easier? currently we are entering it as: Artifact Storage Room: Shelf: 4 Box: 13

Is it ideal to put this info in a different field?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

colle...@cumberlandmuseum.ca

Jun 21, 2018, 5:45:47 PM6/21/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thankyou for the speedy response! I was able to search if i enter the full "Artifact Storage Room: Shelf: 4 Box: 14" in quotations with colons, however i am not able to just search "Box: 13" - that said i think the physical storage option in your first response may be the best way to do this kind of thing. I am wondering if it would make more sense to have both a physical storage object for shelf and a physical storage object for box- is this  the ideal way to link storage? or is it ideal to just have one physical object for each archival description?

for example:
B11Artifact Storage Room: Shelf 3Box

Allows me to search all items in box 11
but if i also had:
S3Artifact Storage Room: Shelf 3Shelf

I can search all items in box 11 and also all items on shelf 3 (as some items may be on a shelf but not within a box)

I hope that makes sense!

Dan Gillean

Jun 22, 2018, 11:24:19 AM6/22/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again,

Yes, I think that could work - I mean, if it works for you, then it works! Keep in mind however that currently AtoM's physical storage module is very basic, and can't be organized hierarchically. You will be able to make another container called B3 (say for box 3 that lives on Shelf 12), but if you are not including any location information to tell them apart, it might get tricky to select the correct one from the autocomplete dropdown when linking it to a description.

One other possibility might be to give the containers meaningful codes that indicate this at a glance - for example:
  • S03B11
  • S03B12
  • S04B01
  • S04B02
  • ...
  • S04B11
  • S04B12
And so forth. Just by the container name I can see that there are multiple Box 12's, but they belong on different shelves - S04B11 is not easily confused with S03B11. Plus, if you want to search, you can simply search for "S03" and it should return all containers that start with this:

​Hopefully, this also means a bit less data entry for you as well :)

In my example above, note that I have added leading zeroes to the shelves (though I forgot in the screenshot example) - this is something else you might want to consider doing. AtoM's "alphabetic" sort is actually what's called ASCIIbetical, so without leading zeros, numbers would be organized like so:
  • 1
  • 10
  • 11
  • 100
  • 2
  • 20
  • 21
  • etc...
I've previously mentioned this in the forum here, if you'd like more info.

Unless you have more than 99 shelves, and will ever have more than 99 boxes on a shelf, then a single leading zero should probably suffice if you choose to follow this method - e.g.:
  • S01B01
  • S02B02
  • ...
  • S99B99
Note that if you have more than one storage location where items live permanently, you could also extend this method further - e.g add a V for vault, or CS for cold storage as a prefix, etc.

Finally, I wanted to share one more interesting approach that we used to use at UBC when I worked there. The way that Rare Books and Special collections handled some of AtoM's limitations around physical storage was to make the archival description identifiers indicative of the physical organization of the materials - i.e. they indicate box and folder numbers. I've elaborated on this approach here:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

colle...@cumberlandmuseum.ca

Jun 26, 2018, 6:57:52 PM6/26/18
to AtoM Users
Thanks so much Dan! You have given us some great ideas on how to approach this!
-Melissa

Anna Dysert

Sep 21, 2018, 11:15:20 AM9/21/18
to AtoM Users