New CW/Audio Interface Project

433 views
Skip to first unread message

Steve Haynal

unread,
Aug 15, 2026, 5:57:39 PMAug 15
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

For low latency CW sidetone, I have always thought that a CW keyer should be combined with a USB audio interface. This way, what the user hears is their low-latency sidetone mixed with received audio. This enables remote placement of the HL2 (it doesn't require the HL2 to be next to the user). It also saves on network bandwidth and doesn't require FPGA/HL2 resources to act as a cheap ethernet soundcard.

There is this project which provided that:


Unfortunately, I became burnt out working on that and it never became a product.

Now, the radioberry creator, PA3GSB Johan Maas, has developed a similar project. An interesting twist is AI was used for a large portion of the development.

https://groups.google.com/g/radioberry/c/3k7mUc-OZMA/m/MQEocLDlCwAJ

It would be great to see that developed into a product which more people have easy access to.

73,

Steve
kf7o


Nikos Magafourakis

unread,
Aug 22, 2026, 4:25:48 AMAug 22
to Hermes-Lite
Hi, I just built it, everything seems to be fine, I have sound from the speakers and I hear the full stops and dashes from the keyer, but it seems like it is not communicating with Thetis because it is not TXing, while in MIDI I have mapped it on the RP2350 CWX PTT .

73 
Nikos de SV9CVJ
IMG_20260822_110334.jpg
IMG_20260822_110140.jpg

Steve Haynal

unread,
Aug 23, 2026, 11:42:02 PMAug 23
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Nikos,

It is fantastic you were able to build this project. I imagine there is something not quite right with your software setup. I am not a Thetis user. You may want to contact the creator on the Radioberry list for details on how/what software he tested with.


73,

Steve
kf7o

Mats Sundin

unread,
Aug 25, 2026, 3:07:05 PMAug 25
to Hermes-Lite
Hi
I don't know if it is a coincidence .. 
Your CW name refers to CWXPTT..   it should be CWX Key

Maybe thats why... (??)

73 Mats - SM0FPR

Gerry Hull

unread,
Aug 25, 2026, 8:18:36 PMAug 25
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Hello All,

You might be interested in my RWK Router Keyer project.





If is a fully remote software-based Winkeyer, with a station-side component.  Both runnin Windows  However, a raspi station side is on the station roadmap.

I've tested CW remote keying over a 10,00 mile path from Maine to Malawi.

The keyer has an extensive routing engine and Wizards to support port forwarding of many devices. TCP or UDP,
Ipv4 now and ipv6 in the next few days.

It creates a private Tsilscale network, providing worldwide
Conectivity on any internet architecture.  No VPN indtall required, all user-mode code.

It is all free  and the code is open source.  C# and GO code.

For the code and documentation, and links to the releases  with Windows installers.

73

Gerry W1VE


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hermes-Lite" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hermes-lite...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/b653506c-fb23-4259-b123-420055d5b80dn%40googlegroups.com.

KK7OEA

unread,
Aug 27, 2026, 2:27:57 AMAug 27
to Hermes-Lite
I’m stuck with this problem too. According to the description, PTT is triggered via MIDI note 17. I set it up as CWX PTT, but nothing works. Tried as CWX KEY with same result.  I tried switching USB ports between Console and WinKeyr, but that didn’t help either. Just another half-baked project. AI didn't help. 

KK7OEA

unread,
Aug 27, 2026, 4:35:10 PMAug 27
to Hermes-Lite
I can proudly state that the problem has been resolved. Kind of. Digging in PA3GSB github page I found how to set up Thetis file.  RP2350-SDR-CW-Interface/THETIS-CW-SETUP.md at main · pa3gsb/RP2350-SDR-CW-Interface · GitHub 
Few key notes. 
In my Thetis v 2.10.3.14 for some reasons MIDI settings very tricky. If trying to set something, it's refreshes all settings I just put in. So, the solution was to download thetis-keyer-note17.m2c file then import file in Thetis MIDI settings. 
In Thetis Setup>DSP>CW menu
 mark CW break in SEMI
Connections - check COM ports Windows assigned to RP2350, in my case I have COM8 and COM9 assigned to RP2350. I set it Primary to COM9 and its working. Secondary is NONE.
Options - Iambic unmarked. Sidetone - marked. Hardware - marked. 
It was tested just on bare RP2350 without CW speed encoder. So, now I will make full circuitry and test CW interface completely.
73's to all.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages