[ENHANCEMENT] [TRAIN TAB] Ring bell when workout intensity changes, buttons to change intensity increase by single percentage points, show remaining time in interval and possibly more!

Luis Zugasti

May 27, 2024, 4:28:36 AMMay 27
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello!

{Posting this to the user group because for some reason, I cannot access the golden cheetah developer forum, found here. I think, once I find out how to do this, I can re-post that there.}

I read the contributing guide for this project here and would like to develop a feature. I am posting this here to garner feedback from the community for this feature set.

All the features enhance the Train tab of Golden Cheetah. I started out my indoor training journey with this program and I want to give back.

Tooltips for the buttons in the "Intensity Adjustments and Workout Control" panel
When I first started out I didn't know what they did. Even now that I largely know what they are, I think a tooltip is super helpful to remind a user what a button generally does.
This feature would be always on with no configuration.

Intensity increase/decrease buttons increment intensity in % in ERG workout mode
Sometimes all I want when doing hard sets is to notch down intensity from 120% to 119%, but this seems inconsistent with the current buttons. In addition to this, I want to show a percentage beside these buttons showing what scaling is being applied to the original workout.
Off by default since I assume folks are used to the current behavior; Configuration would be added for users to switch to the "old" style of changing intensity, if the community desires
Intensity change sample.png

Ring a countdown when intensity will increase/decrease/entering a new set
Super helpful for sets with high intensity that makes you want to quit on the trainer. Three/Five seconds before there's a jump from a high intensity to a lower intensity, a subtle countdown timer sounds. Inversely, three/five seconds before there's a jump from low to high intensity, a subtle countup timer sounds. (For example, doing 200% FTP for a minute, then lowers down to 40% FTP. In the last five seconds of the 200% FTP repeat, there's an audible countdown chime.)
On by default; Configuration would be added to turn it off.

Look forward to learn what the community thinks of these. Open to other ideas in the train tab. I want to learn the codebase for this enhancement so I can't guarantee I'll be quick in implementing it.

Ale Martinez

May 27, 2024, 9:51:43 AMMay 27
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Luis, welcome to the project, the dev forum issue is likely due to spam control, we were receiving lot of spam there, and here is more likely you can get user feedback anyway.

There has been significative changes to Train view after v3.6 release, you can see some of them in v3.7 April dev build (https://groups.google.com/g/golden-cheetah-users/c/3RnQSl5qZ-k) and more recently the latest snapshot update (https://groups.google.com/g/golden-cheetah-users/c/OBtorle0oVA) which basically matches current master code, I suggest to try the last on if you plan to add new features.

I will let users to give feedback on your ideas, I am not a regular user of Train myself.

Cheers, Ale.

Joachim Kohlhammer

May 28, 2024, 2:24:35 AMMay 28
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Luis,

your journey seems to match mine, welcome to Golden Cheetah!

Luis Zugasti schrieb am Montag, 27. Mai 2024 um 10:28:36 UTC+2:

Tooltips for the buttons in the "Intensity Adjustments and Workout Control" panel
When I first started out I didn't know what they did. Even now that I largely know what they are, I think a tooltip is super helpful to remind a user what a button generally does.
This feature would be always on with no configuration.

This sounds useful. For my taste I would prefer to have the tooltips disabled during the workout  to prevent visual clutter- or at least have them disappear after some seconds.

Intensity increase/decrease buttons increment intensity in % in ERG workout mode
Sometimes all I want when doing hard sets is to notch down intensity from 120% to 119%, but this seems inconsistent with the current buttons. In addition to this, I want to show a percentage beside these buttons showing what scaling is being applied to the original workout.
Off by default since I assume folks are used to the current behavior; Configuration would be added for users to switch to the "old" style of changing intensity, if the community desires
Intensity change sample.png

On part 1, not sure if I fully get you: Do you want to change only the current section while leaving the neighbouring ones untouched?
On part 2 (showing the current intensity), the information could be displayed as a notification in the black box. Currently it only says Increasing / Decreasing Intensity (see TrainSidebar::Higher()), having a value next to it would be really nice.
To be honest, personally I don't use the adjustment buttons a lot, usually I select my workouts according to my current form. BTW, this is the reason why I missed adjusting the zones when having a colored ErgfilePlot (PR will follow after I contributed my missing documentation)

Ring a countdown when intensity will increase/decrease/entering a new set
Super helpful for sets with high intensity that makes you want to quit on the trainer. Three/Five seconds before there's a jump from a high intensity to a lower intensity, a subtle countdown timer sounds. Inversely, three/five seconds before there's a jump from low to high intensity, a subtle countup timer sounds. (For example, doing 200% FTP for a minute, then lowers down to 40% FTP. In the last five seconds of the 200% FTP repeat, there's an audible countdown chime.)
On by default; Configuration would be added to turn it off.

As of now, I have three Timers in my Ergmode-Perspective (the attached screenshot does not show my actual but a development-instance):
  • Time - time in the workout
  • Section Time Remaining - time that is left for the current section / set - maybe this could be an existing alternative to your proposal?
  • Lap Time Remaining - time that is left in the workout
Especially because of the "Section Time Remaining" I am not sure if I really need an audio signal.

Regards
 Joachim
Peek 2024-05-28 07-56.gif

Ale Martinez

Jun 27, 2024, 8:35:34 AM (9 days ago) Jun 27
to golden-cheetah-users

 We merged a PR adding tooltips to Train controls, they can be disabled in preferences: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/commit/65bf2c00e3ef18a7696b342b424662dd3d952bcd