Earliest Geodesic Domes

Chris Kitrick

Jan 4, 2021, 12:00:34 PM1/4/21
to Geodesic Help Group
This recent article is the most detailed account of the first geodesic dome developed by Walter Bauersfeld in Germany for the Jena Planetarium. It clearly shows some of the prior mathematical development of the division of the icosahedron and the final design of the 16 frequency class I shell.

Cheers,
Chris

Projecting stars, triangles and concrete
The Early History of Geodesics Domes, from Walter Bauersfeldto Richard Buckminster Fuller
Martino Peña Fernández-Serrano and José Calvo López

Paul Kranz

Jan 4, 2021, 12:48:06 PM1/4/21
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Once upon a time I saw a pic of an ancient Chinese statue of a lion with its paw over a geodesic sphere. I'm fairly sure it predates the GR. gentleman. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Paul sends...

Curt McNamara

Jan 4, 2021, 1:44:28 PM1/4/21
to Geodesic Help Group, pa...@revivetheflame.com
Like this?

Technically i think it is a Fu dog though.

      Curt

TaffGoch

Jan 4, 2021, 8:07:03 PM1/4/21
to Geodesic Help Group
Hitting both topics, "Bauersfeld" and "Chinese Fu-dogs," PDFs attached:

"Projecting_stars_triangles_and_concrete.pdf"
"Fullerenes, Polyhedra, and Chinese Guardian Lions - MathInt2016.pdf"

-Taff
(aka, David Price)