2023-07 Dataverse Community News

Philip Durbin

Aug 2, 2023, 2:59:32 PM8/2/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Here's what's top of mind for July 2023:

* IQSS is hiring three Dataverse developers: https://dataverse.org/blog/dataverse-project-hiring-three-software-developers
* Thomas van Erven gave a recorded demo on Semantic Enrichment using Dockerized Services: https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/A_jYjqdwXhI/m/9Rxy2fMgAwAJ
* Erwan Béguin gave a recorded demo on connectors between Dataverse and several research tools such as JupyterHub and D4science: https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/fgrVhqunt8c/m/APYwosD9AgAJ
* Eryk Kulikowski created an API client library for Dataverse in Go: https://github.com/libis/rdm-dataverse-go-api
* "A Plug-in Approach to Controlled Vocabulary Support in Dataverse" by Jim Myers and Slava Tykhonov now has a DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.8133723
* GREI now has a blog: https://medium.com/@blog-grei
* Slava gave a talk entitled "Decentralized research data infrastructure and knowledge graphs": https://twitter.com/4tykhonov/status/1678689180455452675
* Don Sizemore encouraged installations to be counted in worldwide metrics: https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/p4zZ0UwyOo4/m/QSUEcUKxAQAJ
* Binder issues seem to have been resolved: https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/_8hqw4wf4FY/m/mIw-bID2AwAJ
* Community calls have been reduced from every 2 weeks to every 4 weeks: https://dataverse.org/community-calls
* The 2023-07-11 Dataverse Community Call was about the talk by Thomas above, metrics, upgrades, MeSH/VIAF, updating metadata blocks, and more https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QiM3ReT3FH_036xD-LwNsm0-GBlM9roUC-2i8KSsqGA/edit?usp=sharing
* The 2023-07-25 Dataverse Community Call was about the talk by Erwan above, finalizing 5.14, guestbooks, Globus, possible license bugs, and more: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nw2ymns8GItHn--FBYyLt7ugr3cwip_f58EHha9K0gU/edit?usp=sharing
* Three Containerization Working Group meetings were held and recorded: https://ct.gdcc.io
* One NetCDF/HDF5/geospatial meeting was held: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-FERNBSsNS2RxrnE8jt0eui0GC2-e6PA?usp=share_link

If you have any news to add or comments to make, please simply reply to this email!

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. If you would like to add to next month's community news update, please leave comments at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RvNQDshKtLBG6z7n01zMHFRpar-dEZM3DQRfcrvwmBY/edit?usp=sharing

For last month's Dataverse Community News, please see https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/iEX0SEhVLKI/m/-ULLq6piAQAJ

For more background on these Dataverse Community News posts, please check out the README at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PtUHfBnu1gnjpZ1Uu7sEEWjW9QWAK2S9K62DbPaPHCQ/edit?usp=sharing

Ryan Perry

Aug 21, 2023, 10:50:30 PM8/21/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Phil,

Could you please confirm if the Community Call 1 meetings are still going ahead? The most recent one appears in the google calendar at 10pm Aug 21st EST. And will the presentation from Slava Tykhonov be going ahead in Community Call 2 today (10am, Aug 22 EST)? A couple of my colleagues at the Australian Data Archive are keen to tune in for that.

Thanks kindly,

Ryan Perry

Deputy Director, Australian Data Archive
The Australian National University

James Myers

Sep 18, 2023, 3:02:49 PM9/18/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Ryan, all,

Sorry for the delayed response. There's been a lot of discussion about changing the schedule and scope of the community calls and trying to maximize the value of attending the calls and minimizing the overlap with other communication channels (e.g. monthly status/update emails, the github boards, questions and discussion in slack and chat, etc.).

You may have seen the announcements about 'Call 2' moving to 10 AM on the US East Coast at reduced frequency and with more emphasis on community presentations.

Call 1 - the one at 2 AM UTC on Tuesdays - has had more limited attendance, both from IQSS/GDCC and the community, and often doesn't cover much beyond status updates which are available elsewhere. Due to that, we're going to suspend/cancel Call 1 as a regular scheduled meeting. That said, we all know it can be very valuable to have some real-time discussion of issues people are facing and being able to ask questions about new features, etc. To support that, we'd like to keep Call 1 as an on-demand option - if anyone wants to propose a topic or ask some questions about an issue in advance, we'll hold the meeting.

As this is the week for community calls, I'll plan to show up tonight (2 AM UTC) to discuss these changes and anything else that comes up. For any future calls, we'll rely on people sending a community email or slack/chat message, etc. by the end of the week prior to when Call 2 is scheduled and we'll announce if Call 1 will happen and what the scheduled topic(s) are. These would remain at 2 AM UTC on the Tuesday of that week so you can keep a hold for those dates.

-- Jim

PS. Re: your question about Slava's talk - Phil has been recording talks at the community calls and posting them to https://dataverse.org/dataversetv. Slava's is the most recent one there.