RE: Digest for cooking-away-my-csa@googlegroups.com - 13 Messages in 6 Topics

Edith Thayer

Jul 12, 2010, 4:44:42 PM7/12/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
This is in response to Amy's request of what to do with escarole:

Last fall I had a large head of escarole that I need to use. Its lovely to look at but a bit on the bitter side served raw. My friend, Lora, gave a recipe that incorporated escarole and that she thought was excellent. She got the recipe from Blue Moon Community Farm, her CSA farm.

Escarole Celeriac Dressing
1 celeriac, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 medium leeks, washed well and sliced
2 or more portabello mushrooms, chopped
3 T. olive oil
Saute above ingredients until tender.
1 head escarole, blanched, drained and chopped
1/2 t. salt
Pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
4-5 cups bread cubes

Mix all and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
I baked the dressing in a 9 x 13" pan and put chicken breasts on top of the dressing to bake at the same time. Rub a little olive oil or butter on them and season.
Next time I would add about 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or sage and thyme to the dressing. It turned out very well. My husband said it was delicious. And voila the escarole is all gone!

If celeriac is not in season you can substitute some celery, probably 2-3 stalks.

To: cooking-away-...@googlegroups.com
From: cooking-away-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Digest for cooking-a...@googlegroups.com - 13 Messages in 6 Topics
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:09:19 +0000

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/cooking-away-my-csa/topics
    "Paul Leddy" <paul...@comcast.net> Jun 21 11:51AM -0500 ^

    Hello all,

    I help with compiling recipes and writing the occasional column for our
    CSA's newsletter. This week, the editor gave me my assignment for next
    week: "For Week 3, I am beginning to struggle with finding new things
    do/say about all the greens. Greens, greens and more greens coming next
    week. Would it be possible for you to craft a column about "greens"? We've
    had spinach, arugula, mixed Asian greens, the Chinese cabbages...and the
    salad greens. I think the kale and chard will start kicking in next week as
    well...and I'm expecting greens to continue to be a weekly thing. People
    may need some new ideas/tricks on how to manage them all."

    I love Diana's recipe for Swiss Chard soup and with your permission I would
    like to share it with our members (I will reference the website). Are there
    any other ideas out there for how you are using your greens?

    I am new to the list and I can't wait to share new ideas with each other
    this year.

    Happy cooking!

    Paul

    Heather Lalley <heathe...@gmail.com> Jun 23 07:43AM -0500 ^

    I would love to see that column, Paul. We get tons of greens, too.

    I use lots of them in Green Smoothies. Roasted kale chips are wonderful. And
    you can always toss them into soups. They're also great sauteed with eggs.

    I'd love to hear other uses for all of those greens.

    Cheers,
    Heather

    Amy Martell <aim...@gmail.com> Jun 23 09:30AM -0400 ^

    I have to say, even I am swimming in almost too many greens for me to
    handle.

    Would love if anyone has ideas for escarole, other than white bean and
    escarole soup!

    Thanks!
    Amy

    Patricia Eddy <patrici...@gmail.com> Jun 23 11:20AM -0700 ^

    We've had two great successes lately. First, this roasted vegetable
    salad with beans is fantastic. We turned it into a scramble and even
    quasi-enchiladas after the first night.
    http://www.cooklocal.com/?p=3143

    Secondly, one of the vendors at the farmers market told me that she
    uses fava beans in place of cheese in pestos. So we made a pesto with
    fava beans and it was absolutely fantastic. (That link is
    http://www.cooklocal.com/?p=3159)

    We've also been getting lots of onions. Other than caramelizing onions
    to put on nearly EVERYTHING, any other good ideas for onions? It's a
    little too warm here for French Onion soup.

    -Patricia

    Danielle Wiley <dani...@foodmomiac.com> Jun 23 11:22AM -0500 ^

    Since we were discussing this morning, thought I'd share.

    I'm in the early stages of gearing up for a 28 day cleanse/detox, and there
    is a whole section of the book on juicing, as the cleanse requires 12-32
    ounces a day of fresh vegetable juice. The author (Scott Ohlgren) has the
    following to say about juice:

    Juicing's biggest health benefit can be summarized in one phrase: cellular
    cleansing. Juicing works so well at cell cleansing because of a few reasons:

    1. There is hardly any digestive work needed to process raw, enzymatically
    active liquid. Vegetable juice gets into the system quickly.
    2. Squeezed vegetable juice is very nutrient-dense. This concentration acts
    to supercharge the system in the same way that herbal tinctures work.
    3. Chlorophyll, a substance found exclusively in plants, has a structure
    similar to hemoglobin, the substance in blood that is responsible for
    transporting oxygen. During the 1940s, researchers found that consuming
    chlorophyll enhances the body's ability to produce hemoglobin, thus
    improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.

    Amy Martell <aim...@gmail.com> Jun 23 10:32AM -0400 ^

    Slightly OT, but relevant. Probably most of you know this already, but for
    those who don't or for those who want an additional talking point about why
    eating locally is so important, here's a great excerpt from *Animal,
    Vegetable, Miracle* by Barbara Kinsolver, talking about the relationship
    between our oil dependence and our food economy.

    http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Steven%20Excerpt.html

    "A quick way to improve food-related fuel economy would be to buy a quart of
    motor oil and drink it. More palatable options are available. If every
    U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and
    organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country’s oil
    consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil *every week.* That’s not
    gallons, but barrels. Small changes in buying habits can make big
    differences. Becoming a less energy-dependent nation may just need to start
    with a good breakfast*.* "

 Topic: Green Juice
    Jamin Mendelsohn <jaminme...@gmail.com> Jun 21 03:37PM -0400 ^

    Hi -- I'm new here and also new to my CSA, but I'm not new to the world of
    juicing and the CSA is fitting into that very nicely.

    today I made 24oz of:
    Apple
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Romaine (CSA)
    Rainbow Chard (CSA)

    It's delicious and healthy!

    Tomorrow's CSA has beets in it too -- you know I'll be juicing those babies
    up!

    chrs,
    Jamin

    Heather Lalley <heathe...@gmail.com> Jun 23 07:45AM -0500 ^

    Welcome, John. That sounds great. I've thought about buying a juicer over
    the years but have never taken the plunge.

    Cheers,
    Heather

    On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Jamin Mendelsohn <jaminme...@gmail.com

    Heather Lalley <heathe...@gmail.com> Jun 23 08:31AM -0500 ^

    Good to know. Thank you, Amy. One question, though: Isn't it healthier just
    to eat the smoothie as-is, and not strain out all the pulp? Isn't that where
    all the fiber is? I guess I'm asking, what's the benefit to juicing per se,
    versus just plain old smoothies?

    Sorry if that's a stupid question ...

    Cheers,
    Heather

    Amy Martell <aim...@gmail.com> Jun 23 09:42AM -0400 ^

    Totally not a stupid question! My understanding (and it's a very limited
    understanding, so take it with many grains of salt), is that the benefit of
    juicing (or one of the benefits) is that the nutrients and sugars are more
    immediately available to your system via your bloodstream, so your digestion
    can take a little break. If you are doing a juice fast (or juice "feast"),
    or if you juice in the morning as your system is waking up, it's a great
    cleanser.

    For me, the immediate sugar rush of juice is too much, and I like the fiber
    and the weight of smoothies. But that's just me and the way my body works
    best. I know plenty of folks who swear by juicing. Also, my kids love
    doing green juice; although they will drink smoothies, they won't drink a
    lot of them. They will, however, drink gallons of "green lemonade" or
    "green apple juice" - which I make by juicing (via the blender).

    cheers - amy

    Danielle Wiley <foodm...@gmail.com> Jun 23 08:44AM -0500 ^

    Our juicer just arrived yesterday and I put it to great use this
    morning! Apple, carrot juice with spinach and ovation greens from my
    CSA.

    Sent from my iPhone

    On Jun 23, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Heather Lalley <heathe...@gmail.com>

Heather Lalley