More on Juice Benefits

Danielle Wiley

Jun 23, 2010, 12:22:45 PM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Since we were discussing this morning, thought I'd share.

I'm in the early stages of gearing up for a 28 day cleanse/detox, and there is a whole section of the book on juicing, as the cleanse requires 12-32 ounces a day of fresh vegetable juice. The author (Scott Ohlgren) has the following to say about juice:

Juicing's biggest health benefit can be summarized in one phrase: cellular cleansing. Juicing works so well at cell cleansing because of a few reasons:

1. There is hardly any digestive work needed to process raw, enzymatically active liquid. Vegetable juice gets into the system quickly.
2. Squeezed vegetable juice is very nutrient-dense. This concentration acts to supercharge the system in the same way that herbal tinctures work.
3. Chlorophyll, a substance found exclusively in plants, has a structure similar to hemoglobin, the substance in blood that is responsible for transporting oxygen. During the 1940s, researchers found that consuming chlorophyll enhances the body's ability to produce hemoglobin, thus improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.