Green Juice

Jamin Mendelsohn

Jun 21, 2010, 3:37:06 PM6/21/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi -- I'm new here and also new to my CSA, but I'm not new to the world of juicing and the CSA is fitting into that very nicely.

today I made 24oz of:
Apple
Celery
Cucumber
Romaine (CSA)
Rainbow Chard (CSA)

It's delicious and healthy!

Tomorrow's CSA has beets in it too -- you know I'll be juicing those babies up!

chrs,
Jamin

Heather Lalley

Jun 23, 2010, 8:45:03 AM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Welcome, John. That sounds great. I've thought about buying a juicer over the years but have never taken the plunge.

Cheers,
Heather

Heather Lalley

Jun 23, 2010, 9:31:47 AM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Good to know. Thank you, Amy. One question, though: Isn't it healthier just to eat the smoothie as-is, and not strain out all the pulp? Isn't that where all the fiber is? I guess I'm asking, what's the benefit to juicing per se, versus just plain old smoothies?

Sorry if that's a stupid question ...

Cheers,
Heather

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Amy Martell <aim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Heather (and everyone), if you have a good blender, you can just blend your smoothies the way you always do, and then strain out the pulp with a nut mylk bag (or good cheese cloth, doubled over).  Use the pulp for soups or breads or dehydrate with some honey to make some green raw "granola."

A great almost-all-local smoothie I'm enjoying lately is Strawberries, blueberries, squeeze of lime, mint, swiss chard, romaine and a bit of parsley with some frozen banana for creaminess.

Amy Martell

Jun 23, 2010, 9:42:30 AM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Totally not a stupid question!   My understanding (and it's a very limited understanding, so take it with many grains of salt), is that the benefit of juicing (or one of the benefits) is that the nutrients and sugars are more immediately available to your system via your bloodstream, so your digestion can take a little break.  If you are doing a juice fast (or juice "feast"), or if you juice in the morning as your system is waking up, it's a great cleanser.

For me, the immediate sugar rush of juice is too much, and I like the fiber and the weight of smoothies.  But that's just me and the way my body works best.  I know plenty of folks who swear by juicing.  Also, my kids love doing green juice; although they will drink smoothies, they won't drink a lot of them.  They will, however, drink gallons of "green lemonade" or "green apple juice" - which I make by juicing (via the blender).

cheers -  amy

Danielle Wiley

Jun 23, 2010, 9:44:11 AM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Our juicer just arrived yesterday and I put it to great use this morning! Apple, carrot juice with spinach and ovation greens from my CSA.

Sent from my iPhone