Tutorial Installing Android Studio 4.1.1 on Windows 10 (AMD CPU)

Arlen Holder

Dec 11, 2020, 1:09:35 AM12/11/20
Tutorial Installing Android Studio 4.1.1 on Windows 10 (AMD CPU)
o Tested using Android Studio, version 4.1.1 on Windows 10 Pro v2004 (AMD CPU)

Here is a screenshot of that first app, running on my Moto G7 (Android 10):
o <https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg> hello world
(About 1 hour total elapsed time from installation to 1st app creation & test).

While the Android Studio IDE takes care of everything, here are key components:
1. Java JDK (includes JRE)
<https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html>
(The Android Studio IDE will download & unpack the JDK for you.)
2. Android SDK
<https://developer.android.com/sdk/older_releases>
(The Android Studio IDE will download & unpack the SDK for you.)
3. Android Studio IDE
<https://developer.android.com/studio/install>
(This is all you need since it will set up the SDK & JDK for you.)

If you want things to go where _you_ want them, install the JRE & SDK first:
o Java SDK: c:\app\editor\android\sdk\
o Android Studio IDE: c:\app\editor\android\as\
o Projects: c:\tmp\android\{app01_hello,app02_whatever,app03_etc.}

For this tutorial, I let Android Studio install the JRE & SDK.

STEP 1: Obtain & install & set up Android Studio freeware
December 2020: Android Stuidio 4.1.1 for Windows 64-bit (896 MB)
<https://developer.android.com/studio>
Name: android-studio-ide-201.6953283-windows.exe
Size: 940548560 bytes (896 MiB)
CRC32: BBAC0A66
CRC64: 14638B0E87BDB702
SHA256: 88D1576B5F672E67035BC4CDE55697CF4CC0E63F9C9740F82F4EF8E09DDB05D4
SHA1: D15959AF19B9CA1887B1C50B2DC040D634FAA81E
BLAKE2sp: CFDA8610B2CA3707798AFDE4C7B5EBBE418BAE0CBD1B231653CFB3B5B0121A6E

Select components to install:
[x]Android Studio
[x]Android Virtual Device
I changed defaults from C:\Program Files\Android\Android Studio
I changed settings to C:\app\editor\android\as
[_]Do not create shortcuts

It will say "Please wait while Android Studio is being installed."
After that, it will ask to start which I would _not_ let it do.

It doesn't create a desktop shortcut but creates a start menu item:
FILESPEC: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Android Studio\Android Studio.lnk
TARGET: C:\app\editor\android\as\bin\studio64.exe
STARTIN: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Android Studio"

Copy that shortcut to your taskbar cascade accordion foldout menu:
copy "Android Studio.lnk" C:\menu\editor\android\as.lnk

Start Android Studio from your taskbar cascade accordion foldout menu:
Taskbar > menu > editor > android > as

Up popped: Import Android Studio Settings
(_)Import
(o)Do not import settings

Allow Google to collect usage data for Android Studio and its related tools?
[Don't send]

Choose the type of setup you want for Android Studio:
(_)Standard
(o)Custom

Select the Java Development Kit (JDK) you want Gradle to use:
C:\app\editor\android\as\jre

Check the components you want to update/install:
[x]Android SDK
[_]Android SDK platform
[x]API 30: Android 11.0
[x]Performance (Android Emulator Hypervisor Driver for AMD Products)
NOTE: If you're on AMD & this says "HAXIM", do _not_ check the box!
[x]Android Virtual Device

I changed the SDK installation default location from:
Android SDK Location: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk
I changed the SDK installation default location to:
Android SDK Location: C:\app\editor\android\sdk

It will download and install the components listed above.

STEP 2: Set up your default settings in Android Studio:
Taskbar > menu > editor > android > as

as:Configure > Settings > Editor > General > Auto Import >
Or...
as:File > Settings > Editor > General > Auto Import >

Change from (for both Java & Kotlin):
[_]Add unambiguous imports on the fly
[_]Optimize imports on the fly (for current project)
Change to:
[x]Add unambiguous imports on the fly
[x]Optimize imports on the fly (for current project)
I'm told that will make things easier if/when problems occur.

STEP 3: Create your first test project automatically:
<https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/creating-project>
o Create New Project > Empty Activity > Next
o Name = app01_hello
o Package Name = com.foo.app01_hello
o Save Location = c:\tmp\android\app01_hello
o Language = Java
o Minimum SDK = API 16: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) (runs on 99.8% of devices)
o Press [Finish]

STEP 4: Have a look around where you must note that the first time you
run Android Studio with a project, "things happen" that you just have
to wait to complete (there is a "status" line at the bottom).

Notice, if you are patient, the first "hello world" app literally creates itself:
o as:View > Tool Windows > Project
o as:app > java > com.foo.app01_hello > MainActivity
o as:app > res > layout > activity_main.xml
o as:app > manifests > AndroidManifest.xml

Step 5: Hook up your phone via USB to your computer to install & test that 1st app:
a. Enable USB debugging in the Developer options on your phone:
b. If you don't already have a good USB driver for your phone
<https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb>
c. Connect the phone via USB to the computer

o as:Run > Select Device > (mine didn't show up)
o as:Run > Select Device > TroubleShoot Device >
Found 1 Android device(s) with possible problems:
- ADB reports that the device is in the 'unauthorized' state
but Android Studio reports that it is in the 'offline' state
o The phone says:
Allow USB debugging?
[x]Always allow from this computer
[Cancel][Allow]
Then press the "Rescan devices" button in the Android Studio troubleshooter.

Step 6: Install and run your 1st Android app on your Android phone:
o as:Run > Select Device > motorola moto g(7)
o as:Run > Run (look at the status at the bottom & wait for it to complete)

--
Written out of the goodness of my heart. Please see also:
o Report: My first "hello world" using Android Studio freeware on Windows worked just fine (in about an hour)

Arlen Holder

Dec 11, 2020, 1:39:22 PM12/11/20
On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 06:09:34 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> (This is all you need since it will set up the SDK & JDK for you.)

For anyone installing Android Studio on an AMD CPU Windows box
o Be advised Android Studio _still_ has its native emulation screwed up.
<https://dl.google.com/android/repository/gvm-windows_v1_6_0.zip>

It has all to do with horribly lousy setup instructions for Android Studio
o Where it's clear Google couldn't possibly have tested it even once
(on an older AMD CPU, that is)

The problem only shows up when you create an Android Virtual Device (AVD)
o <https://developer.android.com/studio/run/managing-avds#createavd>

What's surprising is _all_ the other instructions are really good!

It's just that Google (clearly) never tested Android emulation on older AMD CPUs
<https://dl.google.com/android/repository/gvm-windows_v1_6_0.zip>

Some references:
<https://androidstudio.googleblog.com/2019/12/emulator-29211-and-amd-hypervisor-12-to.html>
<https://github.com/google/android-emulator-hypervisor-driver-for-amd-processors>
<https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator#install>
<https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator-acceleration>
<https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/07/09/android-studio-device-emulator-now-works-amd-processors-hyper-v/>
<https://github.com/google/android-emulator-hypervisor-driver-for-amd-processors/wiki/Is-Hyper-V-really-disabled%3F>
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31366453/run-android-studio-emulator-on-amd-processor>
etc.

When I figure out how to get the native emulation (that comes with Android
Studio) working on my older AMD CPU, I'll post the step-by-step tutorial.

Meanwhile, I suggest using any _other_ emulator than the one in Android
Studio, given my prior experience with the Android Studio emulator was that
it didn't support as much as the commercial (freeware) emulators did
anyway.

Stay tuned on the Android Studio native emulation solution to be written.
--
See also:
o How to get Genymotion Android emulation to work on an AMD Win10Pro desktop

o Have you gotten Genymotion freeware to work on an older AMD CPU on Win10?
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/ix9empN-mxg>

o How to run Andyroid Nougat 7.1 freeware emulator on older AMD Windows 10
Pro <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/WkCVh_YE6v8>

o Running Bluestacks4 Android 7.1.1 emulation freeware on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/JBRjZ39w4Ok>

o What free Android emulator do you use on Windows for running APKs?
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/0OeqqmRvCtg>

Arlen Holder

Dec 11, 2020, 10:03:46 PM12/11/20
On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 06:09:34 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> While the Android Studio IDE takes care of everything, here are key components:

These are, so far, the five components you'll likely need (and want):
1. Java JDK (includes JRE)
(The Android Studio IDE will download & unpack the JDK for you.)

2. Android SDK
(The Android Studio IDE will download & unpack the SDK for you.)

3. Android Studio IDE
(This is all you need since it will set up the SDK & JDK for you.)

4. You'll likely want an emulator (which is problematic for AMD CPUs)
(If you're on an Intel CPU, you can use the Android Studio emulator.)

5. You'll also want more than just the default Android 11 SDK
(You can install any Android SDK from within Android Studio.)

Arlen Holder

Dec 11, 2020, 10:03:46 PM12/11/20
On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 06:09:34 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Here is a screenshot of that first app, running on my Moto G7 (Android 10):
> o <https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg> hello world

This hello-world tutorial app contained the following key components:
1. app > manifests > AndroidManifest.xml
o Describes the characteristics of the app & each of its components.
2. app > java > com.foo.app01_hello > MainActivity
o Contains the src JAVA that runs when the app icon is launched.
3. app > res > layout > activity_main.xml
o Define your app's user interface.

Each of those key files has a job to perform when the app is launched:
1. app > manifests > AndroidManifest.xml
This is the XML description of the key characteristics of your app.
For example, it defines the default "schema" your app will be using.
And it defines your unique "package name" of "com.foo.app01_hello".
It defines what icon the app uses & the name associated with the icon.
o action
o category
o Six methods run, starting with onCreate, onStart, and then onResume
o Later onPause will run, and then onStop, and, finally, onDestroy.

2. app > java > com.foo.app01_hello > MainActivity
This is the Java "entry point" when you run the app on your phone.
Tapping the app on your phone launches this "Activity".
The "Layout" is also displayed when this activity launches.
o extends
o @Override

3. app > res > layout > activity_main.xml
This is the XML definition of your app's "Layout" or User Interface.
In this case, there's a simple "Text View" "Element".
That Text View Element outputs "Hello World!".

Looking at the code flow...
1. app > manifests > AndroidManifest.xml
The "action" element indicates the activity that's set forth.
Being "MAIN" means that's the starting point of the app's execution.
The code's "onCreate" method will be what's actually launched.
The category element's "LAUNCHER" value makes an icon for running
the MainActivity class available on the device's Launcher screen.

2. app > java > com.foo.app01_hello > MainActivity
The "extends" allows calls to the many AppCompatActivity APIs.
The "@Override" can replace pre-existing code.
This is used to tell Android not to use the pre-existing onCreate method.
Instead, the MainActivity contains a declaration for its own onCreate method.
The onCreate method calls setContentView(R.layout.activity_main),
which displays what's described in the res/layout/activity_main.xml file.
Rather than override the onStart and onResume methods, this app employs
the AppCompatActivity class's prewritten onStart and onResume methods.
When an Android device ends an activity's run, the device calls three
pre-defined methods: the activity's onPause, onStop, & onDestroy methods.

3. app > res > layout > activity_main.xml
This is an example of a simple RelativeLayout.
The TextView is an Android control used to build the GUI.
It has attributes such as android:layout_width, android:layout_height.
The "text" is the text string that will be output (i.e., "Hello World!").

The actual code is shown below:
1. app > manifests > AndroidManifest.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
package="com.foo.app01_hello">
<application
android:allowBackup="true"
android:icon="@mipmap/ic_launcher"
android:label="@string/app_name"
android:roundIcon="@mipmap/ic_launcher_round"
android:supportsRtl="true"
android:theme="@style/Theme.App01_hello">
<activity android:name=".MainActivity">
<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>
</activity>
</application>
</manifest>

2. app > java > com.foo.app01_hello > MainActivity
package com.foo.app01_hello;
import androidx.appcompat.app.AppCompatActivity;
import android.os.Bundle;
public class MainActivity extends AppCompatActivity {
@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.activity_main);
}
}

3. app > res > layout > activity_main.xml
(Note: Normally you modify this XML code via a graphical method.)
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto"
xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="match_parent"
tools:context=".MainActivity">
<TextView
android:layout_width="wrap_content"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:text="Hello World!"
app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintLeft_toLeftOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintRight_toRightOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent" />
</androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout>

In summary, each file defines key tasks, such as:
1. app > manifests > AndroidManifest.xml
Name ==> com.foo.app01_hello
Icon ==> ic_launcher
Label ==> app01_hello

2. app > java > com.foo.app01_hello > MainActivity
Layout ==> activity_main.xml

3. app > res > layout > activity_main.xml
MainActivity ==> TextView ==> "Hello World!"

Please improve so that all benefit from every action you take.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart, to help everyone create apps.

Arlen Holder

Dec 13, 2020, 12:28:52 AM12/13/20

> 4. You'll likely want an emulator (which is problematic for AMD CPUs)
> (If you're on an Intel CPU, you can use the Android Studio emulator.)

SOLVED!

It took a couple of days (elapsed time) but I got the emulation working.
a. The "Hello World" worked the 1st time on my Android 10 Moto G7 over USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg>
b. The "Hello World" now works fine inside of Android Studio emulation
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjGjkX9X/cmos06.jpg>
c. The "Hello World" now works fine inside Genymotion VirtualBox emulation
<https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg>

The (unintuitive to me) trick is to turn AMD Virtualization ON in the BIOS:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/RhSXCJQn/cmos04.jpg>
And yet, to turn the Intel Virtualization OFF in "Windows Features"
o <https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg>

Otherwise, Android Studio won't work with its native Android emulation:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/fWSnSJXQ/cmos08.jpg>

And, the Genymotion Android emulator will also fail to work on AMD CPUs:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/QdqTpBsq/cmos02.jpg>

Just as the Android emulator will fail to work inside of VirtualBox on AMD:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/d1gkqrmJ/cmos03.jpg>

We can move forward now that we have both the hardware (Moto G7) working
o And now we have both Android Studio& Genymotion emulation working

But it was a PITA because Android emulation on Windows AMD is problematic.

See also gory details in:
o Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/p5RvsY_M978>

o Can someone please explain the logic of turning AMD-V "ON" in the BIOS,
& then turning Intel Hyper-V "OFF" in "Turn Windows features on or off"
just to get Android emulation to work on WIndows 10?
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/zcSpBmmc6eM>
--
If someone can explain the logic of that circumstance to me, please do.

Arlen Holder

Dec 15, 2020, 7:30:28 AM12/15/20
UPDATE:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg> code working on phone
o <https://i.postimg.cc/nLRWdFB1/as02.jpg> code working in Genymotion
o <https://i.postimg.cc/65NKJvkt/as03.jpg> Google emulator fails on AMD CPU
o <https://i.postimg.cc/QCQRxf2s/as04.jpg> Google emulator always offline
o <https://i.postimg.cc/qB2fL7zY/as05.jpg> Google emulator always times out
o <https://i.postimg.cc/02vTHqSN/as06.jpg> Hyper-V off doesn't matter
o <https://i.postimg.cc/Fsx2MnbV/as07.jpg> Hyper-V on doesn't matter

Once I figured out the unintuitive step of enabling AMD-V but disabling
Intel Hyper-V in Windows 10, then it was time to add the emulators.

Adding the native Android Studio emulators works fine, but they're slow.
o So below are instructions for also adding faster Genymotion emulators.

After you get your "Hello World" running on your device over USB:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg>

It's time to get "Hello World" running in Genymotion Android emulation:
0. For AMD CPUs, you have to turn ON the AMD-V hypervisor in your BIOS
o Win+R > msinfo32
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2004, build: 19041
Hardware: NY549AA-ABA p6230y, HP-Pavilion, FOXCONN, ALOE
CPU: Authentic AMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 5.02, 8/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes <== this is critical!
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Here are the before-and-after screenshots for BIOS enabling of AMD-V:
<https://i.postimg.cc/fWSnSJXQ/cmos08.jpg> Emulation fails w/o AMD-V
<https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg> Access CMOS settings
<https://i.postimg.cc/QdqTpBsq/cmos02.jpg> Genymotion needs AMD-V
<https://i.postimg.cc/d1gkqrmJ/cmos03.jpg> VirtualBox needs AMD-V
<https://i.postimg.cc/RhSXCJQn/cmos04.jpg> Turn on AMD-V in the BIOS
<https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg> Intel-V doesn't matter
<https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg> Hyper-V doesn't matter
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjGjkX9X/cmos06.jpg> Genymotion emulation working

Note: As far as I have tested, it doesn't matter whether the Intel
hypervisor is enabled or disabled in your Windows 10 settings
(even as a zillion articles say you "must" either check or not check)
o Win+R > ms-settings:optionalfeatures > More Windows features
o Turn Windows Features on or off
[_]Core Isolation
[_]Credential Guard
[_]Hyper-V
[_]Virtual Machine Platform <== it doesn't seem to matter if checked
[_]Windows Hypervisor Platform <== doesn't seem to matter if checked
[_]Windows Sandbox
[_]Windows Subsystem for Linux version 2

1. Install & run Genymotion Personal Edition (with VirtualBox)
<https://www.genymotion.com/>
(Follow instructions at the Genymotion web site, which are pretty good.)
2. Once you have Genymotion installed & Android emulation running,
then find your SDK path (if you don't already know it)
AS:Tools > SDK Manager > Android SDK Locations
3. Set ADB in Genymotion to point to that Android SDK path
Genymotion:Settings > ADB
Change from:
(o)Use Genymotion Android Tools (default)
(_)Use custom Android SDK Tools
Change to:
(_)Use Genymotion Android Tools (default)
(o)Use custom Android SDK Tools
[Browse]C:/app/editor/android/sdk
4. In Genymotion, to add a device, press the red "(+)" sign at the top.
Choose any Android device & API to emulate & press "Install"
Once installed, press the Genymotion "Start" button to boot it.
You should get an Android emulation window after a minute or two.
5. Now install the Genymotion plugins into Android Studio:
AS:File > Settings > Plugins > Marketplace > Genymotion > Install
Restart Android Studio to apply changes to plugins.
6. Now point Android Studio to your Genymotion folder
AS:File > Tools > Emulator > Genymotion Plugin >
Select the path to the Genymotion folder
C:\app\editor\android\emu\genymotion
7. Start Genymotion from your taskbar cascade accordion foldout menu
Taskbar > menu > editor > android > genymotion
Start the emulator from inside of Genymotion's installed devices
Wait for the emulator to start in a separate window in Windows.
8. From inside Android Studio, you can now select that emulator.
Then run your code on that emulator.
<https://i.postimg.cc/nLRWdFB1/as02.jpg>

In summary, you now should have the following:
A. Android Studio runs "Hello World" on your phone over USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg>
B. Android Studio runs "Hello World" over Google Android emulation:
<https://i.postimg.cc/65NKJvkt/as03.jpg> Google emulator fails
<https://i.postimg.cc/QCQRxf2s/as04.jpg> Google emulator always offline
<https://i.postimg.cc/qB2fL7zY/as05.jpg> Google emulator times out
Note: It's rare for me to "just give up" but for the life of me,
I couldn't get the native AVD Android emulation to do anything
but show up blank on my AMD CPU, and, judging from the references,
many (many) people have the same (unsolved) problem set on AMD.
<https://i.postimg.cc/02vTHqSN/as06.jpg> Hyper-V off doesn't matter
<https://i.postimg.cc/Fsx2MnbV/as07.jpg> Hyper-V on doesn't matter
C. Android Studio runs "Hello World" over Genymotion emulation:
<https://i.postimg.cc/nLRWdFB1/as02.jpg>

Everything above except item "B" was relatively easy; B was impossible.
o <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20155376/android-stop-emulator-from-command-line>
o <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3152681/android-emulator-5554-offline>
o <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59974253/android-studio-problem-timed-out-waiting-for-process-to-appear-on-device>
o <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62343011/android-studio-waiting-for-all-target-devices-to-come-online-and-black-avd-err>
o <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62560767/android-emulator-stays-with-black-screen-after-trying-a-lot-of-things-to-fix-it>
o <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62892194/android-emulator-was-not-loading-in-android-4-0>
(etc., there are many, most unresolved or arbitrarily resolved)

All these exact same concurrent errors exist in all articles:
a. AVD pops up the Android emulator; but it is black & unresponsive.
b. STATUS: Waiting for all target devices to come online
c. ERROR: AVD Manager Timed out after 300seconds waiting for emulator to come online.
d. AS:Tools > Troubleshoot device connections > Rescan devices
Found 1 Android device(s) with possible problems:
emulator-5554 - Device is currently in the offline state
e. Win+R > cmd
c:\> adb devices
List of devices attached
emulator-5554 offline

See also:
o Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/p5RvsY_M978>

o Can someone please explain the logic of turning AMD-V "ON" in the BIOS, & then turning Intel Hyper-V "OFF" in "Turn Windows features on or off" just to get Android emulation to work on WIndows 10?
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/zcSpBmmc6eM>

o Tutorial Installing Android Studio 4.1.1 on Windows 10 (AMD CPU)
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/g3ymz5CPsIk>

o Report: My first "hello world" using Android Studio freeware on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/aW64zYeBtF0>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart, to help others, where I can.

Arlen Holder

Dec 15, 2020, 8:19:20 AM12/15/20
On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:30:22 +0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> <https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg> Intel-V doesn't matter
> <https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg> Hyper-V doesn't matter

Ooops.

I forgot to mention why it matters that Hyper-V doesn't seem to matter.
o Genymotion seems to claim that it does matter that Hyper-V be turned off.

But, in my tests, Genymotion Android emulation worked with or without the
Intel Hyper-V turned on or off.

What mattered absolutely was that AMD-V be turned on (in the BIOS).

However, to support my claim that Genymotion says to enable Hyper-V (yet, I
found it didn't seem to matter), here are cites supporting that statement:

o Genymotion Desktop and Hyper-V (Windows 8/8.1/10)
<https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002732677>

o "An error has occurred while trying to create a virtualbox host-only
network interface" (Windows)
<https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002706697>

o "Your CPU is incompatible with virtualization technologies" error
<https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002737597>

o "Unable to start the Virtual Device" error
<https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002718198>

o How to disable Memory integrity in Windows 10?
<https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009163277>

In summary:
1. AMD-V absolutely must be on for Genymotion or Google Android emulation
2. Intel Hyper-V stuff doesn't seem to matter whether it's on or off.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others do this more easily.

Arlen Holder

Dec 15, 2020, 7:34:24 PM12/15/20
Update:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/NLq9GJvg/as08.jpg> msinfo32 expected results=

In hindsight, I would not recommend even attempting to get the Google
Android emulator to work inside of Android Studio if you're on AMD.
o It's just not worth the hassle (and it's not as good as Genymotion)

I wasted days (elapsed time) trying to get the Google Android emulator to
boot, but, for whatever reason, the Google Android emulation fails for me
(and for tons and tons of people on Usenet, for many years running).

The sane preliminary assessment is that Google Android emulation sucks.
o At least on AMD it sucks.

Yet, Genymotion works first time, every time, and Genymotion is fast.
o And there are tons of emulation images to choose from.

All for free (for personal use).

With AMD-V enabled in the BIOS, and with or without Intel Hyper-V "stuff"
o Genymotion "just works" with Android Studio

To make sure it will work, the important diagnostic command is msinfo32:
o As msinfo32 _must_ report "Yes" for firmware virtualization enabled

Here's a snippet of my msinfo32 output for a working setup:
o Win+R > msinfo32
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2004, build: 19041
Hardware: NY549AA-ABA p6230y, HP-Pavilion, FOXCONN, ALOE
CPU: Authentic AMD, AMD Phenom II X4 810
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 5.02, 8/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes <== this is critical
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Here's a screenshot showing that setup with an emulated Genymotion Pixel 3:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/NLq9GJvg/as08.jpg>

I repeat that it's not obvious that Hyper-V "stuff" doesn't seem to matter
o What matters only, is that "AMD-V" is enabled in the BIOS firmware!

Just to be clear, there are other emulators which might work find.
o Each emulator has a niche, where Genymotion is just one of your choices.

For example, Andyroid has its merits:
o How to run Andyroid Nougat 7.1 freeware emulator on older AMD Windows 10
Pro <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/WkCVh_YE6v8>

As does Bluestacks4:
o Running Bluestacks4 Android 7.1.1 emulation freeware on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/JBRjZ39w4Ok>

But, for now, I'm gonna stick with the Genymotion free personal edition.
o Based on my miserable experience with Google Android emulation anyway
--
There's a huge difference between plain knowledge and grizzled experience.