What free Android emulator do you use on Windows for running APKs?

Joe Scotch

Jan 1, 2018, 4:30:26 PM1/1/18
What free Android emulator do you use on Windows for running APKs?

Joe Scotch

Jan 1, 2018, 5:48:42 PM1/1/18
/nIn <news:emulator-20...@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>, Stefan Ram
<r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I am using the default emulator. The one which comes from
> Google as a part of the Google Android SDK. It can sometimes
> use HAXM, the graphics accelerator and memory snapshots for
> acceleration, depending on details of the environment.

Thank you for that advice on the default Windows Android emulator.

Is this the emulator you are using?
Android Studio Emulator
https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html

I may need to try that approach because the first approach I tried hung my
Windows machine.

Here's what I tried first, but Windows 10 hung when I tried it.

1. Download, install & configure VirtualBox (mine was already configured).
a. Find the latest stable version:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/LATEST-STABLE.TXT
(5.1.30)
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.30/
b. Download the latest stable ISO:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.30/VirtualBox-5.1.30-118389-Win.exe
c. Download the latest stable guest additions:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.30/VBoxGuestAdditions_5.1.30.iso

2. Download the latest Android X86 32-bit ISO file (usually less than 1GB)
https://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html/android-x86-7.1-rc2.iso

3. Setting up the VirtualBox VM may be tricky - here's what I tried:
Name: Android32b
Type: Other
Version: Other/Unknown
Memory size: 64MB
Create a virtual hard disk now.
VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image)
Dynamically allocated
Virtual hard disk size: 2.00GB
Start
Select startup disk: android-x86-7.1-rc2.iso (681.00MB)
Start
Selection choice:
Live CD - Run Android-X86 without installation < I chose this option
Live CD - VESA mode
Live CD - Debug mode
Installation - Install Android-X86 to harddisk

The Windows-10 64-bit machine hung.
I had to kill VirtualBox to get my Windows mouse back.

Everything else was fine on Windows when I killed VirtualBox.
So, the Android ISO didn't work on the first pass.

M.L.

Jan 2, 2018, 3:00:07 AM1/2/18

>What free Android emulator do you use on Windows for running APKs?

I use LeapDroid emulator. However, the company removed their download
shortly after being purchased by Google, so you'll need to do a search
for the apk. It's a good stable emulator even though it emulates
Android 4.4.4.

Joe Scotch

Jan 3, 2018, 5:20:05 PM1/3/18
/nIn <news:p2e99h$5eo$1...@dont-email.me>, Joe Scotch <jsc...@aol.com> wrote:

> What free Android emulator do you use on Windows for running APKs?

It seems that the most direct way to run Android in Windows is to follow
one of these tutorials.

How to install Android inside of VirtualBox in Windows
https://www.howtogeek.com/164570/HOW-TO-INSTALL-ANDROID-IN-VIRTUALBOX/

This is an Android 5.0 lollipop specific tutorial
http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2015/03/how-to-install-android-5-0-lollipop-in-virtualbox-windows/

This is an Android 6.0 marshmallow specific tutorial
http://www.tactig.com/install-android-6-0-marshmallow-virtualbox-pc/

This is an Android 7.0 nougat specific tutorial
http://www.wikigain.com/install-android-7-0-nougat-on-virtualbox/

Joe Scotch

Jan 3, 2018, 9:19:46 PM1/3/18
/nIn <news:p2eds9$3te$1...@dont-email.me>, Joe Scotch <jsc...@aol.com> wrote:

> Is this the emulator you are using?
> Android Studio Emulator
> https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html

Here's an article for installing Android 7 Nougat on Windows
http://www.wikigain.com/install-android-7-0-nougat-on-pc/
http://www.wikigain.com/install-android-7-0-nougat-on-virtualbox/

Using those articles, I now have Android 7.1 running inside of Windows.
http://i.cubeupload.com/hb3lIb.jpg

I've used Google Play to install Android software in the virtual machine,
and it seems to work.
http://i.cubeupload.com/LhQbwD.jpg

The mouse is quirky, and I can't get the Guest Additions ISO to work but so
far those are the only glitches.
http://i.cubeupload.com/pXkXrr.png