October 2020 News research and Star Charts

Edwin Rod

Oct 26, 2020, 7:05:16 PM10/26/20
to Edwin Rod
Hi everyone

Please find this month’s news, starcharts and as always a few of this month’s best research items.

You will be pleased to know the satellite Collison didn’t happen it sure was a nice day so I went out and took a few photos, and I have attached one taken around 2pm at the predicted time of re entery over wellington. There are two really interesting articles to read on the subject. The story behind Donald J. Kessler was very interesting and something I had never read about before.

Again Andrew has a range of interesting updates for us too including looking at Bennu and the sample collection a mission I know he’s been following closely.

If your looking for a full update on the Venus news I have managed over the last month to collect up all the bits of research on the phosphine discovery but top of the list are suggestions that the measurement was an error. Either way a new mission back to Venus is needed to study the clouds and map the surface in detail.

Remember it’s the Astrophotography camp in November and I’m hoping to make it along for one night.

Thanks Edwin

Research papers

Which Stars can see Earth as a Transiting Exoplanet
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.09766

Coupled Day-Night Models of Exoplanetary Atmospheres
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.07303

In Search for a Planet Better than Earth superhabitable worlds
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2019.2161

Solid tidal friction in multi-layer planets
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.04587

Hot Exoplanet Atmospheres WASP-121 b
https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.11308

a targeted SETI strategy that avoids the SETI Paradox
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.04089

Temperature Evolution and Habitability Impacts of Dozens of Superflares Observed Simultaneously by Evryscope and TESS
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.00604

Status of the SPARC Physics Basis
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-plasma-physics/collections/status-of-the-sparc-physics-basis

Moderate-Resolution K-Band Spectroscopy of Substellar Companion ? Andromedae b
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.08959

Earth as an Exoplanet
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.02589

Gravitational wave lensing beyond general relativity
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.12187

Refining the transit timing and photometric analysis of TRAPPIST-1
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.01074

Multiple subglacial water bodies below the south pole of Mars unveiled by new MARSIS data
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.00870

The CARMENES search for exoplanets around M dwarfs.
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.00474

A terrestrial-mass rogue planet candidate detected in the shortest-timescale microlensing event
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.12377

Effects of the Planar Galactic Tides and Stellar Mass on Comet Cloud Dynamics
https://arxiv.org/abs/0911.5533

Lunar Opportunities for SETI
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.12689

Primordial Black Holes as Dark Matter
https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.02838

Electrostatic lofting of dust grains from the surfaces of Thebe and Amalthea
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.11114

Rapidly Spinning Compact Stars with Deconfinement Phase Transition
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.10731

Venus

Venus No statistically significant detection of phosphine
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.09761

A stringent upper limit of the PH3 abundance at the cloud top of Venus
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.07817

Phosphine on Venus Cannot be Explained by Conventional Processes
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.06499

A Precursor Balloon Mission for Venusian Astrobiology
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.11826

Might active volcanisms today contribute to the presence of phosphine in Venus's atmosphere?
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.11904

On The Biomass Required To Produce Phosphine Detected In The Cloud Decks Of Venus

Authors: Manasvi Lingam, Abraham Loeb
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.07835

Feasibility Analysis and Preliminary Design of ChipSat Entry for In-situ Investigation of the Atmosphere of Venus
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.08396

Transfer of Life Between Earth and Venus with Planet-Grazing Asteroids
https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.09512

Phosphine as a Biosignature Gas in Exoplanet Atmospheres
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/ast.2018.1954

Looking for pieces of Venus? Try the moon
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-10/yu-lfp100720.php

Detection of simplest amino acid glycine in the atmosphere of the Venus
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.06211

Interesting News items

FORTHCOMING STAR PARTIES -
STARDATE MARS. Fri 16 to Sun 18 October 2020. Phoenix Astronomical Society. Talks and telescope viewing at Stonehenge Aotearoa
(near Carterton) – with a focus on Mars! Contact The Phoenix Astronomical Society secretary - secr...@astronomynz.org.nz .

NZ ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY WEEKEND. Fri 13th – Sun 15th November 2020. Shed new light on your astrophotography with some
of New Zealand’s top astrophotographers! Foxton Beach Camp, Foxton Beach, Horowhenua. www.nzapw.org.nz .

CENTRAL STAR PARTY. Thu 14th – Mon 18th January 2021. Four days/nights of tenting/bunk rooms, excellent astronomy talks and
telescope viewing! Tuki Tuki Camp site, 70 Moore Rd, Haumoana, Hawkes Bay. www.censtar.party .

STARDATE – SOUTH ISLAND. Waitangi weekend, Fri 5th -Mon 8th February 2021. Staveley. Keep an eye on https://cas.org.nz/

STARDATE. Fri 12 and Sat 13 February 2021, at Stonehenge. Phoenix Astronomical Society. Contact secr...@astronomynz.org.nz

Earth-like Planets often come with a bodyguard
http://www.mpia.de/news/science/2020-16-superearth

The current state of space debris
https://www.esa.int/Safety_Security/Space_Debris/The_current_state_of_space_debris

The Elusive Peril of Space Junk
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/09/28/the-elusive-peril-of-space-junk

Tasmanian devils return to mainland Australia for first time in 3,000 years
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/10/tasmanian-devils-return-to-mainland-australia/

How America Lost 200,000 Lives to Covid-19
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/opinion/covid-pandemic-us-response.html

2020 New Zealand Astrophotography Competition Entry movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8PNrPiqpM

Where in the world will the next epidemic start?
https://sciblogs.co.nz/guestwork/2020/09/27/where-in-the-world-will-the-next-epidemic-start/

Meet the bright people behind the Wairarapa dark sky reserve bid
https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wairarapa/300109429/meet-the-bright-people-behind-the-wairarapa-dark-sky-reserve-bid

Daylight savings
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/426993/spring-forward-five-facts-about-daylight-saving

Please join the following groups for further discussions and information

Astronomy in New Zealand - Groups.io
Astronomy in New Zealand - Facebook

Thanks Edwin
RASNZ_20_10_2020.txt
Wellington_P900_16_10_2020 002.JPG
Keeping_in_Touch-039-23October2020.pdf
Keeping_in_Touch-038-October2020.pdf
All charts 2011.pdf
STCEnews20201016.pdf
The sublimative evolution of (486958) Arrokoth.pdf
In Search for a Planet Better than Earth superhabitable worlds.pdf
Dynamical Packing in the Habitable Zone.pdf
Habitability Models for Planetary Sciences.pdf