Announcing GWT 1.6 Release Candidate

Bruce Johnson

Mar 18, 2009, 4:32:55 PM3/18/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Good news! Google Web Toolkit 1.6 RC is ready for you to download and try out:

For background on what's new in GWT 1.6, please see the still-in-progress doc:

as well as previous 1.6-related announcements:

and

For complete details, the GWT issue tracker has the full list of changes:

We expect this to be a short RC cycle, so a more comprehensive blog post with an overview of the features in GWT 1.6 should be just around the corner.

-- Bruce, on behalf of the GWT team

hezjing

Mar 19, 2009, 5:27:20 AM3/19/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi

The gwt-windows-1.6.2.zip seems to be invalid when downloaded from IE 7 and Chrome.
I'm not sure if anyone has successfully download and extract gwt-windows-1.6.2.zip?
--

Hez

hezjing

Mar 19, 2009, 5:51:14 AM3/19/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm sorry, but I'm able to download gwt-windows-1.6.2.zip from the other PC.
There must be something wrong with my environment :-(

Please ignore my problem!
--

Hez

Lance Weber

Mar 19, 2009, 9:36:43 AM3/19/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Awesome! Go team go!

El Mentecato Mayor

Mar 19, 2009, 11:32:05 AM3/19/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I downloaded the file under openSUSE. After bunzip2 does its thing,
the tar file has the mozilla* directory containing an extra "./" at
the start, and I get this error when trying to untar (for each file
under this mozilla* subdirectory):

gwt-linux-1.6.2/./mozilla-1.7.12/gwt-dl-loadorder.conf: Cannot open:
No such file or directory

Do you know of a way to extract it regardless of that? Or could you
provide a different file?
Thanks.

On Mar 19, 1:36 pm, Lance Weber <weber.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome! Go team go!

Jewel

Mar 19, 2009, 12:54:15 PM3/19/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Does Google have any plan to include comet support officially in GWT
in near future?

On Mar 19, 9:32 pm, El Mentecato Mayor <rogelio.flo...@gmail.com>

cignini

Mar 20, 2009, 5:32:13 AM3/20/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm having a problem with 1.6RC / Jetty and Spring 2.5.
Same project worked well on last 1.6 milestone version, but not on
1.6RC.

I hope you can solve this problem in order to use the newest version.

Tanks,
Marco

[WARN] failed springServlet
java.lang.LinkageError: loader constraint violation: loader (instance
of com/google/gwt/dev/shell/jetty/JettyLauncher
$WebAppContextWithReload
$WebAppClassLoaderExtension) previously initiated loading for a
different type with name "org/apache/commons/logging/Log"
at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:
124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher
$WebAppContextWithReload$WebAppClassLoaderExtension.findClass
(JettyLauncher.java:303)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass
(WebAppClassLoader.java:366)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass
(WebAppClassLoader.java:337)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:
320)
at
org.springframework.core.CollectionFactory.createConcurrentMapIfPossible
(CollectionFactory.java:195)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.<clinit>
(ContextLoader.java:153)
at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderServlet.createContextLoader
(ContextLoaderServlet.java:89)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderServlet.init
(ContextLoaderServlet.java:80)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:212)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet
(ServletHolder.java:433)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(ServletHolder.java:
256)
at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start
(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize
(ServletHandler.java:616)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:
140)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext
(WebAppContext.java:1220)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart
(ContextHandler.java:513)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:
448)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher
$WebAppContextWithReload.doStart(JettyLauncher.java:397)
at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start
(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart
(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler.doStart
(RequestLogHandler.java:115)
at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start
(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart
(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:222)
at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start
(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher.start
(JettyLauncher.java:449)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode.doStartUpServer(HostedMode.java:367)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.HostedModeBase.startUp(HostedModeBase.java:590)
at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedModeBase.run(HostedModeBase.java:
397)
at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode.main(HostedMode.java:232)

El Mentecato Mayor

Mar 21, 2009, 7:42:38 AM3/21/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Just to report back on the problem I reported, I was able to
uncompress fine the GWT 1.6 download using the gnome application "File
Roller". I guess bunzip2 can't handle a directory like "gwt-linux/./
mozila" but FileRoller can.

Still the GWT team might want to modify the download file.

On Mar 19, 11:32 am, El Mentecato Mayor <rogelio.flo...@gmail.com>

Rakesh

Mar 22, 2009, 11:48:33 AM3/22/09
to Google Web Toolkit
great job! keep the momentum going... Gwt is the most vibrant open
source project I have team. Thanks to the google gwt team...

On Mar 18, 3:32 pm, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Good news! Google Web Toolkit 1.6 RC is ready for you to download and try
> out:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?q=1.6.2
>
> For background on what's new in GWT 1.6, please see the still-in-progress
> doc:
>
> http://code.google.com/docreader/?p=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-6&s=goog...
>
> as well as previous 1.6-related announcements:
>
> "Announcing GWT 1.6 Milestone 1"http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> and
>
> "Announcing GWT 1.6 Milestone 2"http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> For complete details, the GWT issue tracker has the full list of changes:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list?can=2&q=miles...

cvasilak

Mar 23, 2009, 4:19:54 PM3/23/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi there,

downloaded RC but I have a problem getting it to work. Specifically If
I do:

$ mkdir MyProject
$ cd MyProject
$ webAppCreator org.tests.client.MyApp

If I try now to import the project into eclipse(3.4.2), right-click
"Debug as->Debug Configurations->Java Application->MyApp", eclipse
gives me the error "Project MyApp does not exist". if I click "Browse"
and select the correct project name(MyProject) eclipse gives me:

"The archive: /MyApp/src which is referenced by the classpath, does
not exist."

Only if the top-level directory is the same as the main class eg.
MyProject->MyApp only then the debug works as expected. (Or if you
modify MyApp.lauch and replace all the references of MyApp to
MyProject)

Regards,
Christos

pablosborges

Mar 23, 2009, 5:32:05 PM3/23/09
to Google Web Toolkit

congratulations on great work. ;)

On 18 mar, 17:32, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Good news! Google Web Toolkit 1.6 RC is ready for you to download and try
> out:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?q=1.6.2
>
> For background on what's new in GWT 1.6, please see the still-in-progress
> doc:
>
> http://code.google.com/docreader/?p=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-6&s=goog...
>
> as well as previous 1.6-related announcements:
>
> "Announcing GWT 1.6 Milestone 1"http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> and
>
> "Announcing GWT 1.6 Milestone 2"http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> For complete details, the GWT issue tracker has the full list of changes:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list?can=2&q=miles...

Alex Rudnick

Mar 24, 2009, 2:31:53 PM3/24/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hey Christos,

We tried to reproduce this error on Eclipse 3.3/Windows and 3.4/Linux,
but it didn't repro for us. It's a weird error, though -- Eclipse
projects shouldn't have to live in a directory with the same name as
the project!

Which platform are you on, and which Eclipse distribution are you
using? Do you get the same problem with a fresh Eclipse install?

Thanks!

cvasilak

Mar 24, 2009, 5:38:47 PM3/24/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Alex and thanks for your reply.

I have downloaded the latest "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers (163
MB) -> eclipse-jee-ganymede-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz" from the eclipse web
site. I am using Ubuntu 8.10 with
temp@casper:$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_12"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.2-b01, mixed mode)

(Only caveat here is that java is installed manually not through
ubuntu's package manager)

In order to start clean, I have created a separate user (temp), unpack
the tgz in his $HOME/bin directory, started eclipse, pointed to a new
$HOME/workspace but I am still experiencing the same problem :(

Exact steps followed:

$ export GWT_HOME=/opt/gwt-linux-1.6.2
$ mkdir bin
$ cp eclipse-jee-ganymede-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz bin/
$ cd bin
$ tar xvzf eclipse-jee-ganymede-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz
$ cd eclipse
$ ./eclipse

Eclipse recommends the default workspace /home/temp/workspace. I
choose Yes.

(From another terminal)
$ cd workspace
$ mkdir MyProject
$ cd MyProject
$ /opt/gwt-linux-1.6.2/webAppCreator org.tests.client.MyApp

Import into eclipse, but the same problem as explained in my previous
post...

Regards

Sumit Chandel

Mar 24, 2009, 6:28:36 PM3/24/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hez,

I've managed to download and extract the 1.6.2 distribution while on an external network. You should be able to do the same. Make sure you're on a stable connection when trying to download the distribution. If you're sure of the connection and still can't download the zip, let us know.

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel

googelybear

Mar 27, 2009, 11:21:52 AM3/27/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Is there an approximate release date for 1.6? Like "in April" or "not
before christmas". I was unable to find such a page...

On 18 Mrz., 21:32, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Good news! Google Web Toolkit 1.6 RC is ready for you to download and try
> out:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?q=1.6.2
>
> For background on what's new in GWT 1.6, please see the still-in-progress
> doc:
>
> http://code.google.com/docreader/?p=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-6&s=goog...
>
> as well as previous 1.6-related announcements:
>
> "Announcing GWT 1.6 Milestone 1"http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> and
>
> "Announcing GWT 1.6 Milestone 2"http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...
>
> For complete details, the GWT issue tracker has the full list of changes:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list?can=2&q=miles...

Scott Blum

Mar 27, 2009, 2:12:43 PM3/27/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
hi googelybear,

We don't preannounce release dates (mostly because we're never sure ourselves... you never know what issues people might run into using the RC).  Unofficially, it looks like things are in pretty good shape, so I would be surprised if we haven't shipped within the next month or so-- just don't hold me to that. :)

Scott

Rvanlaak

Apr 9, 2009, 4:49:08 AM4/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Jewel,

If GWT would offer server-push functionality out of the box, it would
make great possibilities. I've been searching for something similar,
and found it at
http://www.gwtapps.com/?page_id=31

That chat app can be downloaded at http://groups.google.com/group/gwtapps/files

Unfortunatly, it isn't GWT1.6 proof..

Rvanlaak

Apr 9, 2009, 6:35:59 AM4/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Besides that, Jetty is working on the Servlet 3.0 specification.

http://dist.codehaus.org/jetty/misc/AsyncServlet3.0-draft0.html

On top of those specifications is "Async and Comet Support"

On 9 apr, 10:49, Rvanlaak <Rvanl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jewel,
>
> If GWT would offer server-push functionality out of the box, it would
> make great possibilities. I've been searching for something similar,
> and found it athttp://www.gwtapps.com/?page_id=31
>
> That chat app can be downloaded athttp://groups.google.com/group/gwtapps/files

Vitali Lovich

Apr 9, 2009, 12:25:03 PM4/9/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
They also have a jar for GWT projects to support continuations & RPC.