Announcing GWT 1.6 Milestone 2

1 view

Bruce Johnson

Feb 25, 2009, 3:45:29 PM2/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
The GWT team is happy to announce the availability of Google Web Toolkit 1.6 Milestone 2! Binary distributions are available for download directly from the GWT Google Code project.

http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=1.6+Milestone+2

If you have already tried GWT 1.6 Milestone 1, you may not notice much difference in Milestone 2. Changes have mostly been general polish and various small bug fixes. For the nitty-gritty details of the changes since the previous milestone, see the attached source control commit logs. You can also watch the GWT bug tracker for the most up-to-date list of resolved issues (http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list?can=1&q=status:Fixed,FixedNotReleased%20milestone:1_6_RC&num=1000). As for doc, the javadoc that comes bundled with the distribution should be up-to-date, but the online Developer Guide (http://code.google.com/docreader/#p=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-6) is still being tweaked.

We anticipate that GWT 1.6 M2 will be the last milestone build for this version. After a few more bugs fixes and a bit more doc, we expect it to be followed soon by a release candidate build. In the meanwhile, please report bugs to the GWT issue tracker (http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list) after doing a quick search to see if your issue has already been reported. If you encounter a bug in 1.6 M2 that you think qualifies as a showstopper, we would greatly appreciate it if you'd also reply on this thread to alert the engineering team.

As always, remember that GWT milestone builds like this are use-at-your-own-risk. Don't be surprised if it takes a bit of trial and error to get everything to work, and we don't recommend it for production use quite yet.

-- Bruce, on behalf of the GWT team

Ian Bambury

Mar 2, 2009, 7:39:27 PM3/2/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I doubt it is considered a showstopper. No-one took any notice when I mentioned it for 1.5 and 1.6.0, but it severely limits what I would like to be able to do.

There are a number of widgets which cannot be used anywhere inside DisclosurePanels and StackPanels and probably other things.

For example: add a SplitPanel to a DisclosurePanel and in IE the split is set at 0 but can be moved, in FF/Safari/Chrome and, I think, Opera, it is at 0 and cannot be moved

There are a number of other combinations like this. Here's some example code:

public class Main implements EntryPoint
{
    public void onModuleLoad()
    {
        DisclosurePanel d = new DisclosurePanel("Click To Open");
        RootPanel.get().add(d);
        HorizontalSplitPanel s = new HorizontalSplitPanel();
        d.add(s);
        s.setLeftWidget(new Label("Left"));
        s.setRightWidget(new Label("Right"));
        s.setSize("200px", "100px");
        s.setSplitPosition("100px");
    }
}

Ian Bambury

Mar 2, 2009, 8:22:23 PM3/2/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
id's in HTMLPanels have to be unique within an application for every HTMLPanel every time you use it. so, for example, if you go to a database and get some HTML returned, say

 then

getElementById("name").getInnerHTML()

will return 'Fred'

But from then on, every getElementById("name").getInnerHTML() will return 'Fred', even if you create a new instance of the same class, even if you create an instance of a completely different class

I reported this behaviour for version 1.4 for RootPanel back in 2007 (issue#1937). Nothing has happened about it but I was recommended to use HTMLPanel. This has now become ususable, too.

Is it worth adding a new issue, or will the v1.4 issue cover it?

Or is it supposed to do that now?

Sumit Chandel

Mar 3, 2009, 2:18:50 PM3/3/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

Thanks for bringing this back up on the radar. I've updated Issue #1937 so that the team can take another look at the issue and consider it for inclusion for 1.6. Given that the HTMLPanel solution no longer works, this should probably be fixed for 1.6. The issue log should be seeing some action soon, so keep an eye out for that.

Issue #1937:

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

Sumit Chandel

Mar 3, 2009, 2:24:46 PM3/3/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ian,

Agreed, this doesn't sound like a showstopper, but still should be investigated for a fix in a future release if not in 1.6.

I couldn't find this issue reported on the Issue Tracker. Feel free to add this to the tracker - the details provided in the message below should be enough for the issue report itself. I'll add it myself in case you don't get a chance to get to it later today.

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

Riyaz Mansoor

Mar 4, 2009, 10:24:00 PM3/4/09
to Google Web Toolkit

Just installed M2 and took a look around. I must say I like it - feels
more natural to me. For a new project I wanted to start in 1.6, I
didn't want to migrate in the middle and update all the deprecated
stuff.

Haven't put it through its paces yet. But first thing - I have control
of web.xml :)

Excellent work.

Riyaz Mansoor

Mar 5, 2009, 3:28:07 AM3/5/09
to Google Web Toolkit

What version of Jetty is included with 1.6 ?

Specifically, which version of the Servlet API does it support ? I
hope 2.4 is supported.

Sumit Chandel

Mar 5, 2009, 2:14:03 PM3/5/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Riyaz,

GWT 1.6 ships with Jetty 6.1.11, which I believe supports Servlet API 2.5 and downwards (meaning 2.4 is supported).

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

Markus Knittig

Mar 5, 2009, 5:19:03 PM3/5/09
On 03/05/2009 08:14 PM, Sumit Chandel wrote:

> GWT 1.6 ships with Jetty 6.1.11, which I believe supports Servlet API 2.5
> and downwards (meaning 2.4 is supported).

Any chance of upgrading before the release? Because support for multiple
webapp directories would be quite handy, especially for Maven:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Multiple+WebApp+Source+Directory

MfG Markus

Markus Knittig

Mar 6, 2009, 11:44:09 AM3/6/09
On 03/05/2009 11:19 PM, Markus Knittig wrote:

> Any chance of upgrading before the release? Because support for multiple
> webapp directories would be quite handy, especially for Maven:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Multiple+WebApp+Source+Directory

FYI: I created an issue for this feature request:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3456

Best regards,
Markus

hezjing

Mar 8, 2009, 11:23:20 AM3/8/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi

may I know why the GWT 1.6 Milestone 2 distributions are labeled as "deprecated"?

--

Hez

Vitali Lovich

Mar 8, 2009, 1:56:55 PM3/8/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
My guess would be so that they don't show up unless people really look for it.

Sumit Chandel

Mar 9, 2009, 1:48:03 PM3/9/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hez,

As Vitali mentioned, marking these downloads as deprecated is our way of keeping them from view on the main download page. The milestone builds aren't fit for production, so we want to make sure no one mistakenly downloads a milestone build for work that they're planning to put into production.

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

PS

Mar 12, 2009, 8:54:34 AM3/12/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi All
I have an issue, I want to drag and drop the panel, It can be
horizontal or vertical or any other panel so that i can change it
property(like change its size), but it is not supporting for the
panels it is supporting for simple widgets like label,button,text box
and able to change it property also.

I try to do but facing issue.
Example:
AbsolutePanel ab=new AbsolutePanel();
Label LHP = new Label("HorizontalPanel");
LHP.addClickHandler(new ClickHandler(){
public void onClick(ClickEvent event) {
HorizontalPanel newHP = new HorizontalPanel();
newHP.setSize("50", "50"); // on click panel size must be
fixed,user can change it size
newHP.setBorderWidth(2); // broder
ab.add(newHP); // adding panel to absolutePanel
dragController.makeDraggable(newHP);

// This listner is called when a panel is clicked
newHP.addMouseDownHandler(new MouseDownHandler(){
public void onMouseDown(MouseDownEvent event) {
// TODO Auto-generated method stub
Label proplab=new Label("Property Pallet");
}

});

Here addMouseDownHandler it is not supporting please any one can help
me in this regard.

regards
Lokesh

powwow

Apr 28, 2009, 5:24:34 PM4/28/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Try using FocusPanel. Let us know if it solves your problem.