Re: [SiliconBeach] Digest for silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com - 13 Messages in 5 Topics

Nathan Parrott

Jun 23, 2012, 9:20:50 AM6/23/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Varun check out saber astronautics they are a group in Sydney.

On Jun 23, 2012 8:37 PM, <silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia/topics

    Ben Sand <b...@bensand.com> Jun 22 11:36PM +1000

    1) Being done by a few folk, but the best ones will always be a bit
    selective, and to be honest, include people from all areas, as well as
    Aussies. Also, see Startuphouse which is similar

    2) Awesome

    3) I'd like to expand the Deathbook, to just a general way to be able to
    store highly sensitive/secure stuff, and make it available to people based
    on certain conditions (eg. them requesting access and you not responding
    within a week).

    Varun Prakash <varunpr...@gmail.com> Jun 23 12:31AM +1000

    Great ideas Rod,
    I am particularly interested in your idea #4, what exactly would you try
    to aim at?

    Thanks
    Varun.

    --
    Varun

    Ben Sand <b...@bensand.com> Jun 23 12:37AM +1000

    Yeah #4 is big need, just can't see the business model at first glance.

    Also I have an X for Y for #3:
    ifttt for dead people

    drllau <drlawr...@gmail.com> Jun 22 10:40AM -0700

    1) Virtual Office with real-estate component (complete with roll-away cot)
    I suspect the indians and other capital lite nationals already have
    under-radar ops ... see Alibaba in how they bootstrapped from several
    Hanzhou apartments.

    2) SocialCRM ... I'm aware several startups already tackling this space

    3) Deathbook == variation of medical vault ... if you can solve the PKI
    problem you will mint money

    4) more an issue of social engineering than technology ... given the
    boat-people fiasco, I think the gov needs to refactor their attitude

    5) if anyone is going into a business meeting without preparation, they
    deserve what they get.

    #3 is the interesting problem.

    Lawrence
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/drllau

    Varun Prakash <varunpr...@gmail.com> Jun 23 01:21PM +1000

    #4 What is being referred to is international students. These are the plane
    people (some may arrive on boat, not sure though).

    > problem you will mint money

    > 4) more an issue of social engineering than technology ... given the
    > boat-people fiasco, I think the gov needs to refactor their attitude

    5) if anyone is going into a business meeting without preparation, they

    --
    Varun

    Rod Clarke <rodc...@gmail.com> Jun 22 09:43PM -0700

    Thanks very much for all of your responses. Everyone says execution is more
    important than the idea and I agree with that. However I have so many ideas
    in the pipe that I'll just have to throw them over to the community to play
    with.

    Re
    "4) Foreign Student connections" its a massive missed opportunity that we
    have all these young people who know Australias Society and Markets AND
    know their Home countries society and markets. A smart Funds Manager who
    wanted to invest in middle class consumption goods in emerging markets
    (like wine, beer, cigarettes, resturants, SMGC and durables) could use
    these kids. For example I would be very happy to invest $10grand on beer
    brewers in india (to go with all that indian food)

    I also have a blog at http://cash4.it/ it contains broader societal and
    economic (my background) commentary

    Cheers. Rod

    More Ideas to follow.

    On Friday, 22 June 2012 15:16:19 UTC+10, Rod Clarke wrote:

    Rod Clarke <rodc...@gmail.com> Jun 23 01:46AM -0700

    Idea 6) SkinnyPicture.com (the url is available) Its an app that makes you
    look skinny, it takes any jpeg you upload and make you look skinnier using
    simple gimp techniques (i.e. making the foreground darker and the
    background lighter etc) this taps into a few trends, social media, photos,
    self obsession and (sadly) obesity.

    7) abitcooler.com (the url is available) everyone wants to be (somewhere,
    something, listening to songs) a bit cooler than they are used to, but no
    one wants a dud, Its an app that takes your foursquare and faceboook place
    logins and song favourites etc and based on these it recommends places,
    resturants, songs a half a positive standard deviation away from the places
    you already visit. (based on song listens, resturant duration etc.

    On Friday, June 22, 2012 3:16:19 PM UTC+10, Rod Clarke wrote:

    > the app generates a few pithy rapport building questions.

    > * Free - but if you become a zillionaire out of any of these please flick
    > some money to the charity of your choice .

    On Friday, June 22, 2012 3:16:19 PM UTC+10, Rod Clarke wrote:

    Rod Clarke <rodc...@gmail.com> Jun 23 01:07AM -0700

    Thanks very much this is a great resource.

    Varun Prakash <varunpr...@gmail.com> Jun 23 02:38AM +1000

    Hi everyone,

    A lot of popular entrepreneurs like Jeff Bezos (Blue Origin), Elon Musk
    (Space X, Tesla Motors), Larry Page, Sergey Brin (both Google founders
    are supposed to be heavy investors in Tesla Motors) et al venturing into
    basic/core engineering ventures says a lot about their importance. This not
    only helps build a good manufacturing base, but, also advances one in the
    field of state-of-the art technology (IT included).

    With energy conservation, manufacturing becoming very critical issues does
    anybody think a lot could be done in this domain?

    Australia has recently launched a space programme and has a lot of very
    solid research groups (satellite navigation, hypersonics, robotics), does
    anybody think this could be a very interesting area to focus on?

    The question is not whether one can afford investing in basic engineering
    startups, can one afford to ignore it.

    Any Aussie startups focussing on aerospace and fundamental engineering
    sectors?

    I would like to get in touch with anyone working in this domain and learn
    how it works here.

    Thank you.

    --
    Varun.

    drllau <drlawr...@gmail.com> Jun 22 10:28AM -0700

    there are some firms working on drone tech which when you think about
    population density makes sense. whilst not aeroSPACE at least its
    engineering

    Lawrence
    http://www.linkedin.in/in/drllau

    On Saturday, 23 June 2012 05:38:13 UTC+13, VP wrote:

    David Lyon <david.lyon...@gmail.com> Jun 23 03:24PM +1000

    Be very wary of this little 'so-called' 'industry'. It's not an
    industry in the sense that you see anywhere else in the
    world.

    More to the point, it's just a collection of taxpayers money
    being pooled into an entertainment system for a limited group
    of perhaps 'Canberra' people.

    There will be no 'industry'. It won't be like the American space
    program where eventually the Government bow's out and leaves
    a healthy swag for private companies to pick up commercial
    flights to space etc.

    What you are seeing being built is little more than another
    closed 'beauracracy' like the NBN. Don't expect to see commercial
    launches of any of the rocketry to neighbouring countries or the private
    sector to be involved in any way.

    Sorry to be so direct, but this is the way things are done here.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group silicon-beach-australia.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at