The Australian Ecosystem - Startup Genome

Phil Morle

Jun 21, 2012, 9:23:30 PM6/21/12
to pollenizer, silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com, pushst...@googlegroups.com, Björn Herrmann
Happy Friday Everyone :)

Apologies for the cross posting if you get this a few times, but we need your help. Pollenizer is partnering with Deloitte and the Startup Genome Project to look closely at the Australian ecosystem comparatively with the rest of the world.

The early data is deeply insightful and I think we will end up with a powerful argument for change. We need as many Australian startups as possible to complete the Startup Compass (www.startupcompass.co). If you are a founder, please complete it. It provides you with a valuable window into your business and is worth the effort. If you are an investor, employee or friend, please encourage founders you know to complete the survey.  All data is confidential and will not share your private data with the world.

The initial data shows that Sydney is way ahead of Melbourne in terms of throughput, and other Australian cities much farther behind that. It may be because not enough founders have completed the survey in these areas so don't let Sydney pwn you. Complete the form :)

It also shows that Australian companies don't make it to the "Scaling" stage of a business. It is probably showing a troubling reality, but looks worse because not enough Series A funded businesses have completed the survey. It would be awesome if you could.

And please pass this on...

Cheers

Phil

--

I'm experimenting with only checking my email before 9 and after 5.

---

Glen Maddern

Jun 21, 2012, 10:14:38 PM6/21/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com, pollenizer, pushst...@googlegroups.com, Björn Herrmann
Just filled it in for my company, Goodfilms (http://goodfil.ms), in order to help boost Melbourne's numbers a bit :)

-glen.

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

drllau

Jun 22, 2012, 1:24:04 PM6/22/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
https://www.mindmeister.com/136732137/startup-ecosystem-map

whatever happened to the MindMeister map of Australian startups you put out for people to populate?

Lawrence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drllau

cie-unsw

Jun 24, 2012, 9:16:16 PM6/24/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, Linda from the CIE here (Centre for Innovation & Entrepreneurship at UNSW) - Dr Martin Bliemel is the one who usually posts to SB on our behalf.

It looks like minds are thinking alike - CIE and NSi have collaborated on what started out being called a Techmap and is now called the GIG Engine (after a short period when it was named the Linkubator).  http://webbrain.com/brainpage/brain/73F6667C-C605-30B8-561F-3AE6AE3F1007

Anyway.  The idea is to provide an interactive, dynamic map of the Sydney (and beyond) startup ecosystem in a user-friendly format.  We've populated the Engine with organisations and companies from the MindMeister and BlueChilli StartRail just to crack the surface.

The Engine is intended to help people navigate the Sydney innovation/entrepreneurship ecosystem so we've included not only tech companies but also supporting entities - funding sources, incubators, educational institutions, professional resources, communities, etc.

The key aspect of this is to see the relationships between entities as an assist to someone's own foray into innovation and entrepreneurship.

We would like to add as many players as possible, and would love to partner with Startup Genome and Startup Nation.  The Engine is not meant for research but as a resource for the community and anyone who wants to join the community.

Feedback and suggestions are always welcome, so please check it out (http://webbrain.com/brainpage/brain/73F6667C-C605-30B8-561F-3AE6AE3F1007) and let us know what you think and if you want to be added to the map (c...@unsw.edu.au or linku...@unsw.edu.au.

Thanks!

cheers,
Linda