My Winter Projects

Clayton

Mar 10, 2015, 2:17:27 PM3/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This winter, I made a camera bag that is secured shut by magnets and clips onto my Ortlieb handlebar bag frame. I also made a top tube Tenkara rod bag, tent pole rack bag (not shown). The two frame bags I made last winter. The new quick release basket I made works flawlessly, better than the first one. It goes on and off in seconds, there is nothing attached to the rack, and is very secure. I only mount it when I need it.

Clayton (Bend)

drew beckmeyer

Mar 10, 2015, 2:36:07 PM3/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
awesome. mind going into some detail about the qr basket?

clayton bailey

Mar 10, 2015, 7:30:00 PM3/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It would be very lengthly to explain how to make your own. Hopefully with these photos and video it will be clear enough to make yourself. No I won't make them. The hook is made from aluminum, but I already had it. If I was to make it from scratch, I'd use steel. Front prongs are aluminum too. I just bent them in a vice and sandwiched the wires of the basket with a piece on the opposite side. I filed small grooves in the aluminum to encapsulate the wire so they would not slide loose. The strap that I pop riveted the buckle to with steel rivets is stainless steel, 3/4" x 0.25 strips that I bought at the local hobby store. It is bent back on itself so that there is three layers between the wires that hold the buckle. That whole wrap job is also bent at the middle to provide the proper cam action for the buckle. See the side view. I peened down the rivets with a hammer a little bit to improve appearance. I hope the video works.
Clayton (Bend)

image

Preview by Yahoo

clayton bailey

Mar 10, 2015, 8:04:32 PM3/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention that Bend Velo in Bend Oregon is thinking of making and selling my basket design. Talk to Eric.

Surlyprof

Mar 11, 2015, 12:09:21 AM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's a clever design.  Looks stable and easy to operate.  I've just been using an Irish strap to swap between a randonneur bag and the Wald.  Stable but takes a little practice to attach.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/129545862@N03/16159037984/in/set-72157650518230279

John

Soren Hansen

Mar 11, 2015, 9:18:03 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Clayton, I really like the camerabag.
I just have to ask, was it you who wrote the wonderful instruction for the Schultzi pannier? If yes I want to thank you ! I read the instruction and made 4 panniers...as a Winther project.
Best regards
Soren in Denmark

Deacon Patrick

Mar 11, 2015, 9:29:08 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Schultzi pannier? Could you please post a link? My wife is thinking of making panniers for bikepacking with the Clementines (and our current bikes now, if she makes them soon enough).

With abandon,
Patrick

Clayton

Mar 11, 2015, 9:47:53 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here is the link to the Shultzi bags. I am still using them on a almost on a weekly basis for really heavy loads, groceries, which sometimes hit 80 lbs. I mounted the newest Arkel top rail mounting system recently, and use the Orlieb lower hook. The best of both systems.

Have fun!

Clayton (Bend)

Deacon Patrick

Mar 11, 2015, 10:06:26 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

With abandon,
Patrick

clayton bailey

Mar 11, 2015, 11:01:29 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Soren, I am glad they worked for you!

Clayton

Soren Hansen

Mar 14, 2015, 12:01:19 PM3/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
.... and here is a picture of a couple of my bags mounted on my current touring bike; Velo Orange Camargue 62 cm.
best regards
Soren in Denmark
Camargue_2014.JPG

Clayton

Mar 24, 2015, 12:34:00 PM3/24/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Video of quick basket in action....

Clayton (Bend)

Clayton

Mar 24, 2015, 12:35:55 PM3/24/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Vid disappeared.

Clayton

Mar 24, 2015, 12:37:59 PM3/24/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireman483/16592294430/

Ok, I think this is it....Beetle basket operation...

Clayton

Montclair BobbyB

Mar 25, 2015, 9:38:59 AM3/25/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Soren:  Nice build, cool panniers, nice mod... Where did you find the bags to make the panniers?

I saw the Camargue up close at the Philly Bike Expo... just a solid-looking workhorse-of-a-bike... very impressed.
Curious why you left the front shifter on the down-tube?

Great job, BB

Soren Hansen

Mar 26, 2015, 11:17:17 AM3/26/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
BobbyB, thank you for the kind words,
I bought my "BW mountain troops rucksack" in used condition from a Store in Finland (Varusteleka.com), a miltary surplus store.
That makes me the happy second owner, next after Heinz,Jürgen, Udo and Karl, who at some point probably carried these rucksacks on their backs, (I personally prefer to carry them on the bike..), no doubt these bags can take a beating !  Once again thanks to Clayton for his very informative instruction to convert these !
I believe that Clayton back in the day found some in new condition from Cabelas ?
the front shifter on the downtube... ;
I spend most of my time in the middle ring (36t) of my triple crank with an 8 speed 11-32t on the back.
it gives a little more space for my handlebar bag (an old Swedish Gasmask bag dated 1942)
I had an almost empty bottle of Whisky (Balvenie 21 year old Portwood with the most beautiful wooden cork I thought would look nice on the barend)..it does !
The only thing is, I still can not afford a Rivendell.
Best regards

Clayton

Mar 27, 2015, 10:02:03 AM3/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bobby,
I found the bags in a Army Surplus store here in Oregon. They no longer carry them unfortunately.

Montclair BobbyB

Mar 27, 2015, 12:17:03 PM3/27/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Clayton and Soren... yeah the large ones are indeed hard to find.  Varusteleka has some nice medium-sized surplus bags, which should make for nicely-sized overnighters, or possibly front panniers.  These remind me of the Carradice C bags.

BB

Montclair BobbyB

Apr 7, 2015, 6:42:31 PM4/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Correction:  I received my "medium" rucksacks from Varusteleka (Helsinki) today, and they're actually the same ones you both have...and they're BIG!!  I ordered 4 (which in total cost only 92.75 Euros, or roughly $101 shipped!!.  The quality of these bags is IMPRESSIVE... I can't wait to modify them.  Thanks!!!
BB