Paul Jono Hub?

Tony DeFilippo

Jan 7, 2015, 7:23:26 AM1/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I know Paul Components is thought of well around here, I love the brakes and levers I have for sure.  One of their niche hubs just went on sale, the Jono... anyone have any experience w/ them?  It's got an incredibly adjustable axle allowing you to build it up as anywhere from 120-135mm OLD and use a multi-speed freewheel.  I happen to have a '70s ish era frame w/ narrow spacing around that is right now limited to single speed/fixie use b/c I don't have a narrower multispeed hub so it's pretty compelling at $105 new from Paul.  I'd been stalking a couple vintage used hubsets on the auction site but hadn't pulled the trigger.  I figure I can't go wrong w/ a Paul hub but I figured I'd check in with the group!

cyclotourist

Jan 7, 2015, 9:41:12 AM1/7/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pricing is amazing.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I know Paul Components is thought of well around here, I love the brakes and levers I have for sure.  One of their niche hubs just went on sale, the Jono... anyone have any experience w/ them?  It's got an incredibly adjustable axle allowing you to build it up as anywhere from 120-135mm OLD and use a multi-speed freewheel.  I happen to have a '70s ish era frame w/ narrow spacing around that is right now limited to single speed/fixie use b/c I don't have a narrower multispeed hub so it's pretty compelling at $105 new from Paul.  I'd been stalking a couple vintage used hubsets on the auction site but hadn't pulled the trigger.  I figure I can't go wrong w/ a Paul hub but I figured I'd check in with the group!

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Tony DeFilippo

Jan 7, 2015, 11:43:31 AM1/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well I pulled the trigger... :)  rear 650B wheel that fits all my bikes coming soon!

Patrick Moore

Jan 7, 2015, 12:54:16 PM1/7/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
If only they offered it with a reverse threaded lockring ...

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 5:23 AM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I know Paul Components is thought of well around here, I love the brakes and levers I have for sure.  One of their niche hubs just went on sale, the Jono... anyone have any experience w/ them?  It's got an incredibly adjustable axle allowing you to build it up as anywhere from 120-135mm OLD and use a multi-speed freewheel.  I happen to have a '70s ish era frame w/ narrow spacing around that is right now limited to single speed/fixie use b/c I don't have a narrower multispeed hub so it's pretty compelling at $105 new from Paul.  I'd been stalking a couple vintage used hubsets on the auction site but hadn't pulled the trigger.  I figure I can't go wrong w/ a Paul hub but I figured I'd check in with the group!

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

drew beckmeyer

Jan 7, 2015, 1:38:08 PM1/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
yeah, this is really interesting. i dont need a wheel built or anything, but this hub seems like something nice to have around in case. i dont know anything about this sort of adjustable axle.  can anyone testify to potential downsides of this design?

Bill Lindsay

Jan 7, 2015, 2:22:16 PM1/7/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For me the big risk is that nobody makes a good freewheel.  For good freewheels, you are stuck trolling the NOS market, for the most part, or accepting the Shimanopore quality level.

The secondary risk is that when freewheel hubs first stretched to 130mm people had more problems with axles bending and breaking.  Paul probably has addressed that with his beefy aluminum axle, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

This is just an assumption, but to my eye the left flange seems WAAAAY far to the left.  The math of spoke tension guarantees that those spokes will be really loose.  I'd be a little worried about those really loose spokes wanting to loosen themselves up.  I would want to talk with a trusted wheelbuilder that has used that hub before I did anything with it.  My first contact would be Mike Varley, who likes Paul a lot and is a trusted wheelbuilder to me.  If he told me it's fine, I trust it would be fine.

Brewster Fong

Jan 7, 2015, 4:43:05 PM1/7/15

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 11:22:16 AM UTC-8, Bill Lindsay wrote:
For me the big risk is that nobody makes a good freewheel.  For good freewheels, you are stuck trolling the NOS market, for the most part, or accepting the Shimanopore quality level.

That's interesting. What about the Interloc Racing (IRD)'s freewheels:

I thought Riv was selling them, but looking at their website I don't see it.

The secondary risk is that when freewheel hubs first stretched to 130mm people had more problems with axles bending and breaking.  Paul probably has addressed that with his beefy aluminum axle, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

This is just an assumption, but to my eye the left flange seems WAAAAY far to the left.  The math of spoke tension guarantees that those spokes will be really loose.  I'd be a little worried about those really loose spokes wanting to loosen themselves up.  I would want to talk with a trusted wheelbuilder that has used that hub before I did anything with it.  My first contact would be Mike Varley, who likes Paul a lot and is a trusted wheelbuilder to me.  If he told me it's fine, I trust it would be fine.

Is the left flange further out then a flange found  on a standard Shimano 8/9/10 or even 11 speed cassette hub? which place the bearings outboard of the freehub.  Or what about a Campy cassette rear hub that has the bearing inside of the freehub body, but uses a very large oversized axle?

Matthew J

Jan 8, 2015, 9:08:12 AM1/8/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
> That's interesting. What about the Interloc Racing (IRD)'s freewheels:

When they first came out there were the internet lit up with quality complaints.  The pawls would strip and many noted uneven spacing between the cogs.

Mike Kone of Boulder Bicycle / Rene Herse Custom Bicycle says the current IRD freewheels are much better.  As I have a horde of Suntour freewheels, I've no inclination to try Mike's word.

Tony DeFilippo

Jan 8, 2015, 10:29:52 AM1/8/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
IRD released an updated FW design they are calling Classica and they are still closing out their earlier design Defiant at around $33 a FW.  It'll be a while before I build the wheel up so I'm not in a rush.  I'd be happy to help someone clean out their garage to finish this project though!

******WTB*******

-wide range freewheel 30T+ low end desired, 28T would work
-650B rim(s)

Philip Williamson

May 11, 2015, 7:52:38 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tony - did you ever build that Jono Hub into a wheel? I've been looking at it as a possible match for the SON hub on my fixed porteur that might need to become a geared road bike in the nearish future.
The down side to investing in a freewheel hub is that I sold all my (multispeed) freewheels last year. I was thinking a two-speed White freewheel with a derailleur might be weird enough to be worthwhile...

Philip

Tony DeFilippo

May 11, 2015, 8:03:27 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No I included it in a trade for a built up wheelset that had the 120mm rear OLD I needed. It was sweet looking though.