SoCal February S240 poll.

hsmitham

Jan 26, 2014, 11:12:50 PM1/26/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hello Riders,

Sending out this poll to see if any of your are interested in a February S240 in the bucolic Ojai area. Plans are for a gentle Man/Woman 's leisurely ride from Ventura, Ca up the bike path to Ojai and camp at any number of campgrounds in the vicinityTBD. One thing is certain that Bikes, beers and books are on the agenda and good food is a must.

I'm working on the unofficial S240 a month club and this will be my second of the year...a post of January's adventure will be coming and after such an epic one I thought it'd be nice to dial down the epic with a dose of country leisure. The point here is if it doesn't work for ya all it's no big deal as I'll have a back up solo one planned...hey it's the Boy Scout in me "always be prepared".

Thanks to Curtis McKinzie for forwarding the blog pathlesspedaled which helped loads in coming up with an easy peasy overnight.

Note: If your a lurking and don't own a Rivendell currently and have nothing planned on the dates no big deal! Just chime in and come along for the fun.

Here is the Poll the dates are what are available for me and the times are arrival times per Amtrak Surfliner.

As always I hope to see you all and keep the rubber side down.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

cyclotourist

Jan 27, 2014, 12:08:46 AM1/27/14
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Bikes, beers and books are on the agenda and good food is a must."

Sorry, if hatchets aren't an integral to this, I don't think I can be a part of it.

Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Hugh Smitham

Jan 27, 2014, 12:10:01 AM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh did I leave those out?

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

cyclotourist

Jan 27, 2014, 12:13:36 AM1/27/14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Better re-think your agenda!

Hugh Smitham

Jan 27, 2014, 12:14:54 AM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If a hatchet there will be then you better haul it out West.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

cyclotourist

Jan 27, 2014, 12:21:04 AM1/27/14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Don't leave home without one.

Oh wait, I think that's a towel.

Hugh Smitham

Jan 27, 2014, 12:24:09 AM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I thought that was a petrol derivative.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

cyclotourist

Jan 27, 2014, 12:40:39 AM1/27/14
to RBW Owners Bunch
The hatchet or the towel?

Hugh Smitham

Jan 27, 2014, 12:45:53 AM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

The phrase was IIRC an American express commercial. Plastic is the derivative.

cyclotourist

Jan 27, 2014, 1:50:17 AM1/27/14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just one word: Plastics!

Hugh Smitham

Jan 27, 2014, 2:06:04 AM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Sure thing Mr Robinsontouritsa.

Leslie

Jan 27, 2014, 11:26:30 AM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Or your babelfish...   got any peanuts?

cyclot...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2014, 12:35:20 PM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
They go wonderfully with pan-galactic gargle blasters!

Mike Schiller

Jan 27, 2014, 9:56:17 PM1/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Valentines day?   Not sure I want to suggest that to my wife.

Any thoughts on a route?  Both those campsites are  very short rides from Ventura.  Maybe do Sulfur Mtn rd and camp after?  Sat. go over Casitas Pass and then down the coast?

~mike
Carlsbad Ca.

Hugh Smitham

Jan 28, 2014, 12:40:52 AM1/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

The 14th is out as I made the mistake regarding Valentines day. So the only date I can go is the 28th I'll be closing the poll it was a nice idea and I'll employ it's function in the future.

As far as the camps the pathlesspedaled suggested Lake Casitas camp & Dennison County both good choices and close to Ojai. As my post stated I'm dialing it down on this one as I promised Evan a less epic ride and more gentle.

You can of course come along do Sulphur Mountain (I might even join you) and then meet at the camp. The next day you can see how many(might be a low turn out as Friday is hard for working folks) want to do Casitas Pass? Or you could do the ride your suggesting. we'll see how things shake out.

Let me know if your available for the 28th. If I get zero bites I have a solo overnight ride planned in my neighborhood.

sameness

Jan 28, 2014, 1:14:43 AM1/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm probably 40/60, but glad for the 28th, as I'll still be unpacking on the 14th.

Just had my first SoCal mixed terrain ride in ages today (and first ride at all in almost... 8 weeks !?)

Forgot just how nice it is to head out for the day in a T-shirt and sunglasses.

Some more nice miles over the next two weeks will definitely edge me closer to commitment.

Jeff Hagedorn
San Diego, CA USA

Hugh Smitham

Jan 28, 2014, 2:26:22 AM1/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

I do hope you flip that over to 80/20 or better. This would be a great one to get to know you and it'll be mellow as you'd like and the bonus of Ojai isn't too bad either.

Are you just regrouping in the old family haunts before moving to the West side of Los Angeles?

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Coconutbill

Jan 28, 2014, 12:29:23 PM1/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"Gentle" may be a bit of an exaggeration...  but most things will seem gentle after the last two epic outings!

Hugh Smitham

Jan 28, 2014, 12:46:22 PM1/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Why exaggeration? I mean it as a gentleman's ride which could be like the ride" Team Dream" did on SCDR ;-)

Really, how about "leisurely" or we'll coin it the P&C ramble "pedal and chat" ramble...I like the sound of that even better.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Coconutbill <evan....@gmail.com> wrote:
"Gentle" may be a bit of an exaggeration...  but most things will seem gentle after the last two epic outings!

sameness

Jan 28, 2014, 1:07:53 PM1/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Are you just regrouping in the old family haunts before moving to the West side of Los Angeles?

Yep, in a bit of a holding pattern down here in Rancho Bernardo until my place up north is ready in a couple of weeks.

Lake Hodges trails are right out my backyard, so there are worse problems to have.

Hugh Smitham

Jan 28, 2014, 1:45:57 PM1/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Truly.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

rperks

Jan 29, 2014, 2:26:54 PM1/29/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if I will be able to make it or not, but would put in a strong vote for Casitas.  I made it into the part itself a couple of weeks ago.  There are plenty of back roads, out and backs to get supplies, an ghost town (water district claimed neighborhood, most houses are flattened) to explore for those not afraid to jump fences, and all manner of pleasant stuff.  Denison is nice enough but not as much diversion for how close it is to town(s).

Rob

Hugh Smitham

Jan 29, 2014, 2:55:41 PM1/29/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Thanks for the info I was hoping to hear from you. I hope you can make it as it's in your back yard but understand your business and family obligations may supersede involvement.

I was going to and will reach out to chat about the various locations of interest.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Hugh Smitham

Feb 9, 2014, 9:20:58 PM2/9/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So here we are the 9th of February already and before we know it we'll be buying candy and flowers for our loved one's...and then there's the notion of an S240 at the end of the month. I'm bumping it one last time to see if there's any interest.

The idea was to do a ramble overnight out Ojai way...I've had interest from Evan S, and Mike S. for this one but before I commit to traveling to Ventura once again I'd be nice to have a few more folks on board. I think an S240 like this begs for a small group.

So let me know if your in for February 28th & March 1st travelling by train to Ventura. Refer to original post for the details I proposed. As usual the idea is flexible to a point as long as we have a consensus.

Hope to see some of you fire side.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Hugh Smitham

Feb 10, 2014, 12:53:45 PM2/10/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So Southlanders looks like Mr. Perks is about 90% in for the Ojai S240 and may recruit a few other locals, so it seems to be firming up. By my count 4 semi solid participants with may as many as 3 to 4 other Ventura residents. I also asked Rob for his recommendations for camp locations other than Lake Casitas if we include Sulphur Mountain into the mix. As a default we can do SM and also camp at Casitas which is a perfectly fine idea.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Mike Schiller

Feb 10, 2014, 11:32:44 PM2/10/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
just discovered the Amtrak lines from Irvine south are down for service March 1-2.  I'll have to drive up to Irvine to use train.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca

Hugh Smitham

Feb 10, 2014, 11:40:32 PM2/10/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bummer! But glad you'll be making it. I'll see you on the train.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Tony DeFilippo

Feb 11, 2014, 12:06:06 AM2/11/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm very jealous of this ride, the company, the bikes and the route! A trifecta of bike awesomeness!!

Can't wait to see pictures.

Tony

Hugh Smitham

Feb 11, 2014, 12:25:51 AM2/11/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tony,

All you need to do is shift that business stuff one week later or tag on some Winter mental health days and come along.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Hugh Smitham

Feb 15, 2014, 1:28:18 PM2/15/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Riders,

Rob Perks sent me this ride route so passing it along for more clarification.

Here is the first train arriving into Ventura,

9:35 am & 10:53 am

Here are the returns,

2:40 pm & 5:16 pm

Since the first day is 37 miles with all the climbing I suggest the earlier the better. Let's get a consensus.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Curtis McKenzie

Feb 15, 2014, 3:09:09 PM2/15/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hugh,

I only see a 10:53 arrival in Ventura out of Irvine.  So maybe 10:53 it is.

Curtis

Hugh Smitham

Feb 15, 2014, 7:31:33 PM2/15/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis,

Yes you are correct. I didn't check the train schedules from further South. I presume you are interested in the ride? By my count that will make two from the Southern California cul-de-sac planning on joining. If that is the case then yes the meet up will be 11:20 am or so at Rob's condo. I'll post the address shortly, unless Rob is monitoring and he can throw it out there. Peace,

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

dougP

Feb 15, 2014, 7:53:40 PM2/15/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Train 761 originates in LA & is the earlier one.  Train 763 originates in San Diego and is the later arrival.

To catch the 761, you'd need to get an early Metrolink from Irvine (since Amtrak's service ends there that weekend).  There's a 5:24 AM that arrives LA 6:40 or a 6:03 that arrives LA 7:20 (cutting it close).  It could be done with a bit of juggling.

dougP
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Mike Schiller

Feb 16, 2014, 12:14:19 AM2/16/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis, I was planning on the earlier Metrolink train from Irvine.  That gives me plenty of time to make the Amtrak train that arrives at 935am.

I may stay another day and come back on Sunday.  I was thinking of riding to Sycamore Canyon at Pt Mugu SP and camp at the hiker biker site. Sunday I would ride the dirt rd up the canyon and thru TO to Moorpark and the Amtrak station.

~mike

Curtis McKenzie

Feb 16, 2014, 11:09:47 AM2/16/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Mike,

I was thinking of returning Sunday as well.  Looks like the early Metrolink out of Irvine it is.  Let me know if I can tag along for the Saturday over night.

Curtis

Mike Schiller

Feb 16, 2014, 12:00:32 PM2/16/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
that works for me Curtis. It's a nice ride down the coast once we get pass Oxnard.  The dirt road up Sycamore Cyn is very nice too. After that we will have to ride roads though Newberry Park over to the Moorpark Station.

~mike
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Hugh Smitham

Feb 16, 2014, 11:01:50 PM2/16/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Man you guy's are making me want to take Sunday off :-)

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Curtis McKenzie

Feb 16, 2014, 11:05:37 PM2/16/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Sounds like fun.  If you could let me know what train numbers I would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis

Hugh Smitham

Feb 18, 2014, 7:38:28 PM2/18/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Update:

Rob has recruited about 5 or 6 locals for the overnight. So by my count that's 11. That's counting Evan, Mike, Curtis and me.

Mike and Curtis could you let me know what time you plan on arriving? Rob has a start time or 9:30am or 10 am just want to make sure you fellows can make it for that time?

Also here's Rob's address which I believe is pretty close to the station:

Rob's address is 135 S Garden Street, Ventura, Ca 93001 Phone 760-214-0307

If you need last minute gear, real cheap sports is right up the street.

Looking forward to a great ride.

Evan are you planning on Amtrak or do we want to drive? It's so close.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Curtis McKenzie

Feb 18, 2014, 7:55:05 PM2/18/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh,

Just reserved space on train 761 which has an arrival in Ventura of 9:35 am. Will be making this a two night trip.  You should as well:)

Curtis "who needs a bike overnight" Mckenzie

Hugh Smitham

Feb 18, 2014, 8:01:45 PM2/18/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis,

I'd love to but I'm requesting off March 23rd when Smitty visits from PDX possible Joshua Tree overnight which you should consider...then in April time off for a Death Valley trip and the big one, late June early July, Siskiyou's, PDX and July 12th Bay Area Rally.

I'll consider it tho.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Mike Schiller

Feb 18, 2014, 8:23:03 PM2/18/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Did I miss an email?  A JTree overnight?   March is filling up fast.

I'll be on the same train(s) with Curtis.  I would guess we will be there before 10am after loading up and the long ride under the freeway to Rob's.

~mike

Curtis McKenzie

Feb 23, 2014, 1:45:05 PM2/23/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
70 percent chance of rain for Friday.

For planning purposes only.  Will we be going near a food store later in the day on Friday?  If so I may buy food at that time. If not I will bring the needed calories.

Thanks

Curtis

Mike Schiller

Curtis McKenzie

Feb 23, 2014, 7:35:58 PM2/23/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Were you riding on Manchester today?

Also, do you think the group will be stopping for some supplies in Ojai?  I do no want to run afoul of the collective.

Curtis

Mike Schiller

Feb 23, 2014, 8:14:12 PM2/23/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I did't get out on the bike today.

I'm sure we will be stopping for liquid refreshment and maybe some food too.

~mike

Hugh Smitham

Feb 23, 2014, 8:32:11 PM2/23/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis,

What Mike said is correct we will be stopping in Ojai for food ect.

Yes there is rain in the forecast but I'm preparing for rain and will ride and camp. If it does rain I think it would be wise to skip the Sulfur Mountain section as it'll be muddy. So we'd ride up the bike trail to Ojai then swing back down to Lake Casitas and camp. There is always the Ojai Rancho Inn if things go really side-ways.

I'm planning on purchasing my Amtrak tickets from Burbank to Ventura and then Moorpark to Burbank. Mike what are the train numbers? Especially the Moorpark one. I'll buy them on Wednesday or Thursday.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Curtis McKenzie

Feb 23, 2014, 9:04:40 PM2/23/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh sounds like a great plan. Are you spending two nights?

Hugh Smitham

Feb 23, 2014, 10:17:50 PM2/23/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes. That's the plan. Just need the itinerary, train number from Moorpark.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Mike Schiller

Feb 23, 2014, 10:21:25 PM2/23/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
the train up to Ventura  on 2/28 is 761
train from Moorpark south is 784 leaves Moorpark at 324 pm

guess I need to drag out my rain gear.

We could add some distance Friday if it's muddy on dirt and go up 33 aways. It's a  nice ride up there.

~mike

Hugh Smitham

Feb 27, 2014, 2:59:05 PM2/27/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guy's,

Well I think it's about time to call this adventure off officially. Mother nature has conspired to throw a wrench into our plans...as I type this the sun is shinning and it's just gorgeous but we all know that can change on a dime!

I checked the NOAA site and a Hazardous Weather outlook is still in effect. For those of you not in our southerly clime we are not faint of heart, we are though not as prepared to contend with heavy rain, as when it does rain here it's not a Seattle drizzle it dumps down hard and intense. Then there's the fact that since we've been in a drought the earth is dry and will become a muddy mess rapidly.
because our Northern friends have been a bogarting.

Happy trails to you all.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Tom Virgil

Feb 28, 2014, 12:25:01 PM2/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

In view of the Noachian event occurring in SoCal I believe we can declare the first weeks of March "virtual February" and avoid dampening the prospect of one S24O/month for 2014.

Best regards,

Tom

Hugh Smitham

Feb 28, 2014, 1:42:17 PM2/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

You made me smile this morn. Thanks friend.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

dougP

Feb 28, 2014, 9:41:04 PM2/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Friday mid-day here in OC we had rainfall of biblical proportions.  Good call to cancel for the time being.  The canyons in LA must have been flooded.

dougP

Mike Schiller

Feb 28, 2014, 9:58:26 PM2/28/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ojai has had 3.3 inches of rain so far from this storm.  Probably get another few inches until the storm moves eastward.

On a positive note... it will be nice and green in a few weeks!

~mike
Carlsbad Ca

cyclotourist

Feb 28, 2014, 11:10:08 PM2/28/14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes it will!!!

Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Hugh Smitham

Mar 1, 2014, 3:17:01 AM3/1/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Doug,

Yep it's wet,

Mike,

So true. And more green paint too!

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

cyclotourist

Mar 1, 2014, 10:06:58 AM3/1/14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's good rainy-day SoCal reading: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/showthread.php?1025-Maple-Springs It gets interesting on the second page!