Need collectives help on color choice.

hsmitham

Oct 29, 2013, 8:23:36 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bunch,

New to me Atlantis and having it painted and need you opinions on which color to go with...my first thought was to go with pea soup green like this,

And the second color I'm considering is a burnt orange which I believe this is,

Sorry for the lake of close up color pictures.

I feel as though the orange is a bit flashy as I already have a green flashy so was leaning toward an understated green as my rough stuff tour/S240 beasty. Let me know what cha think and if you have pictures even better.

Best,

~Hugh

Deacon Patrick

Oct 29, 2013, 8:37:40 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Burnt orange. Colors like that are striking in the city but fit right in in the wilds. I love my gray/orange Hunqapillar scheme.

With abandon,
Patrick

Peter Morgano

Oct 29, 2013, 8:44:14 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owners-bunch

Elton of Harris Cyclery sold a red Atlantis a few months back on this list, looked real sharp. Search the archives.  I like flashy though, always get smiles in the tangerine dream machine (my orange bombadil)

WETH

Oct 29, 2013, 8:48:49 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hugh,
Of the two I am partial to the orange; that is a nice shade of orange, deep, rich and not too flashy.
I agonized over the same decision this spring, before deciding I really liked the original color on my Atlantis (for now).
In your other post you wrote about adding a kickstand plate, which is a great idea. Mine, like yours, doesn't have one, and I wish it did.
Enjoy.
Erl

Curtis McKenzie

Oct 29, 2013, 8:53:59 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Burnt orange.  Wow! What a great color for a bike.

Eric Platt

Oct 29, 2013, 8:58:05 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My first suggestion would be black.  Like the one Jim Thill used to have.  Add the cream headtube and it would be nice and elegant.

Otherwise, a green like the olive drab Surly has used on the Long Haul Trucker in the past.  Or on the new Pugsley Ops.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

dougP

Oct 29, 2013, 8:59:23 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
To me, an understated color scheme is desireable on a touring bike.  Given the above choices, I'd go with the pea soup.

dougP

fulf

Oct 29, 2013, 9:06:34 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I like the green but think it needs a cream head tube. The green would look great in the woods. The orange is sweet too, though I agree, it is flashy. FWIW.  Bill

Bill Lindsay

Oct 29, 2013, 9:14:29 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
if i ever end up with an atlantis, i will copy the pewter metallic that pudge has.

James Warren

Oct 29, 2013, 9:15:52 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

In 2011, I joined a growing cult called Red Atlantis.

Join us.

James Warren

Oct 29, 2013, 9:41:41 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Also, Hugh, burnt orange sounds really good.

Here's another idea: get it the older, darker AHH blue (like Evan's bike) that your AHH is not.

-Jim

cyclotourist

Oct 29, 2013, 9:46:07 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think there are a lot of orange bikes out there, and not too many
sage green ones.
The green would be a great way to differentiate the bike. Definitely
needs a cream headtube though! :-)
Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Michael

Oct 29, 2013, 11:32:47 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Whatever color you get, get it in metallic (shiny sparkly bits in the paint) .

More depth that way. Les matte and flat, unless that is what you want.

I say neither green, nor orange.

I say Aqua.

Coconutbill

Oct 29, 2013, 11:51:49 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
how about a darker than pea soup, forest green.... here's a good reference:

Hugh Smitham

Oct 29, 2013, 11:56:25 PM10/29/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I thought you were going to recommend purple? But I can see how Forest Green would look good with purple accents. Thanks for the reference.

Best,

~Hugh

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Coconutbill <evan....@gmail.com> wrote:
how about a darker than pea soup, forest green.... here's a good reference:

Allingham II, Thomas J

Oct 30, 2013, 9:03:10 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Aw, shucks, Bill.

But Hugh, if you are really looking for understated, here it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/7107210911/in/set-72157624427413755 The color looks a lot richer (but still understated) in person, especially in the sunlight.

Oct 30, 2013, 9:40:55 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I will always vote against earth-tone bicycle colors.

Deacon Patrick

Oct 30, 2013, 9:55:11 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Considering all colors occur in nature, what colors does that leave you with Ron? Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

blakcloud

Oct 30, 2013, 10:08:05 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If it was my bike, burnt orange. It is not over the top and it doesn't look bland like the sage green. Of course it has to have the cream accents for the contrast.

Tom Goodmann

Oct 30, 2013, 10:57:25 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Of the two choices, my vote is for the burnt orange; I agree that the cream accents would look great (but more $). --Tom in Miami

Ron Mc

Oct 30, 2013, 11:07:33 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
fuchsia - chicks dig it

Bryan

Oct 30, 2013, 11:35:52 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think yellow would look cool with 26" knobbies, no fenders and 'stache bars.

Bryan

Andy Smitty Schmidt

Oct 30, 2013, 11:38:53 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Red bikes are faster, obviously, so don't overlook that when making your decision. That said... I believe this Pea Sage Green Atlantis (it belongs to Mike Williams on the list) is one of the coolest looking bikes I've seen... http://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/9646807447/

It's not just the frame color that makes it look cool though. I see great looking bikes all the time and they span the whole rainbow. It's the aggregate of everything about how it's set up and for what purpose that makes it a bitchin looking bike. A flashy bright scheme will look a whole lot different on a stripped down go-fast than it will on a fully racked/bagged tourer.

Perhaps look through a book of old cars for inspiration. Or find a piece of fruit/veggie and match it to a pantone swatch.

Or connect with your inner zen... find a painter you trust and let him/her pick the color.

--Smitty

Allingham II, Thomas J

Oct 30, 2013, 11:47:40 AM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

But not earth-tone – metal-tone!

Steve Palincsar

Oct 30, 2013, 11:55:40 AM10/30/13
On 10/30/2013 11:38 AM, Andy Smitty Schmidt wrote:
A flashy bright scheme will look a whole lot different on a stripped down go-fast than it will on a fully racked/bagged tourer.

Excellent point.  All the racks, bags, fenders etc. provide visual accents that go well with an understated paint job that lets the chrome shine through.

Deacon Patrick

Oct 30, 2013, 12:13:02 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
But fuchsia is an earth tone. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Hugh Smitham

Oct 30, 2013, 12:38:13 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I leave that color for your next build Ron :-)

Best,

~Hugh

Ron Mc

Oct 30, 2013, 1:01:42 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
of course I was just teasing Patrick back, but I don't think any color that would fit in a camo pattern belongs on a bicycle frame.  Gray cars drive me nuts.  Add gray road, gray weather and these people driving without their lights.

Ron Mc

Oct 30, 2013, 1:04:58 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
and Patrick, your photo - feather those colors from end to end and that is exactly how a bicycle frame should be painted

Deacon Patrick

Oct 30, 2013, 1:20:13 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ron, that would be a bike that would attract a lot of chicks by your rule, something Hugh apparently doesn't need. Must be the beard.

With abandon,
Patrick

Clayton

Oct 30, 2013, 1:29:36 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

 Green, but I am partial....

iamkeith

Oct 30, 2013, 2:22:59 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's a twist:  See the attached image for a slightly different take on a "burnt orange."  I stole this image about a year and a half ago, when this rare Rivendell mountain bike sold (I think we discussed it here quite a bit), because it was and is still the prettiest Rivendell paint color ever - to my eye, at least.   I'm sure I can find more images out there on the internet, too.

I'm currently thinking about having my beat-up, green Quickbeam repainted, and am strongly considering this color because it would go well with the gold decals.   Were you going to have D&D paint your Atlantis?   If so and if you like this, maybe we should consider doing both at the same time for a slight color-match, multi-bike discount??  (I don't know if Rick would offer that, but it wouldn't hurt to ask...).  Or did you want to be totally different than everybody else??  ;-)
8061214541_455d9e34e1_b.jpg

iamkeith

Oct 30, 2013, 2:33:30 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well, just for the sake of illustration, here's yet another take on "burnt orange,"  also stolen when the bike sold recently.  (An all-Rounder, by someone here on the list, this time).   This one is non-metallic, unlike the one I posted a moment ago.   Judging from the fact that I've made the effort to collect and archive these photos, you can probably guess which color I lean toward...
55cmorange.jpg

Iron Rider

Oct 30, 2013, 6:39:13 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Orange. For sure.

Michael

Oct 30, 2013, 6:42:16 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Orange seems to be prized by Riv-peeps.
But is there a danger of it becoming cliché with Rivs?

How about Saluki butterscotch color with cream head tube and windows?

Hugh Smitham

Oct 30, 2013, 7:01:47 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Do you have a picture to share?

Best,

~Hugh

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM, James Warren <jimcw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

In 2011, I joined a growing cult called Red Atlantis.

Join us.

Hugh Smitham

Oct 30, 2013, 7:02:12 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David,

Yes.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 30, 2013, 7:08:44 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

I am always in awe of your builds, choice of colors and all the other fine points that you incorporate into a build...heck my wife couldn't stop talking about your stealth Bomba! I feel that the black or silver would work well with Mr. Classy Homer. I'm leaning toward a jeep  utilitrian type build if that makes sense.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 30, 2013, 7:11:56 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ha! too funny.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 30, 2013, 7:16:00 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Clayton,

Yes...yours was definately the reason I was leaning toward green. Beautiful color and build. I think you went with a power coat is that correct? And it's a flat green?

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Oct 30, 2013, 7:18:32 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Clayton,

Yours was one of the reasons I was considering going green, beautiful build. Is it a flat green power coat?

Best,

~Hugh

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Clayton <treef...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Garth

Oct 30, 2013, 7:27:29 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Whatever color ... make it Dupont Imron Metallic , or some brand like it, if there are any .
http://www.campyonly.com/images/joebell/imron.pdf

Check out the Dk. and Lt. Persimmon Metallic compared to a the Burnt Orange Metallic

My Bombadil is Lt. Forest Green Metallic # 44418.

Pondero

Oct 30, 2013, 7:28:38 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"I'm leaning toward a jeep utilitarian type build if that makes sense."

Total sense to me because that was the concept in the back of my mind for my "Army man green" AHH build.  If you are planning jeep utilitarian, you're planning Army green.

I'm planning some refinements to my own build to go a little more in that same direction.

Montclair BobbyB

Oct 30, 2013, 7:40:37 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kinda like an almost-empty glass o' root beer after the ice melts... LOVE THIS COLOR!!!

James Warren

Oct 30, 2013, 7:50:45 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

rob markwardt

Oct 30, 2013, 7:58:04 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, James Warren
The contrarian says...."keep it as is!"  ...love the Atlantis green.

Chris Lampe 2

Oct 30, 2013, 8:08:33 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
One of my favorite Riv pictures is a Hillborne powder coated solid black.  Very sharp.

Deacon Patrick

Oct 30, 2013, 8:24:38 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, James Warren
The Atlantis green looks great and would certainly fit with a "Jeep build." My Hunqapillar is my jeep (and far, far better!).

With abandon,
Patrick

clayton bailey

Oct 30, 2013, 10:06:28 PM10/30/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hugh,
Thanks for the compliment. It's not flat, it's gloss powder coat. I still might paint the head tube and lug cutouts ivory.  The green has a richness and peaceful quality that I like more every day. Green and brown, the colors of nature which seems appropriate for a touring bike, "doncha tink?" I like the color even more than "YETI turquoise". GASP!

Philip Williamson

Oct 31, 2013, 4:26:41 PM10/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Pea sage green, hands down. One of the great Rivendell colors. And I'm a giant fan of orange bikes.

Philip

Evan

Nov 1, 2013, 8:10:21 PM11/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The green is beautiful but the orange is unexpected. I vote orange.

Curtis McKenzie

Nov 1, 2013, 8:57:11 PM11/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I like the burnt orange, but how about a stealth bike with just a clear coat?