Did Cavemen Eat Yams?

Eric Norris

Nov 23, 2013, 3:21:33 PM11/23/13
to RBW
More about the Paleo Diet:

From the article:

“Nearly every food item you currently eat today has been modified from its ancestral form, typically in a drastic way, ” he began. “The notion that we have not yet adapted to eat wheat, yet we have had sufficient time to adapt to kale or lentils is ridiculous. In fact, for most practitioners of the Paleo Diet, who are typically westerners, the majority of the food they consume has been available to their gene pool for less than five centuries. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, potatoes, avocados, pecans, cashews, and blueberries are all New World crops, and have only been on the dinner table of African and Eurasian populations for probably 10 generations of their evolutionary history. Europeans have been eating grain for the last 10,000 years; we’ve been eating sweet potatoes for less than 500. Yet the human body has seemingly adapted perfectly well to yams, let alone pineapple and sunflower seeds.”

Eric N
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy

Deacon Patrick

Nov 23, 2013, 4:04:14 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sigh. Then it's a bunch of scientists making fools of themselves, much the same as Marlene Zuk did earlier this year. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-all-just-a-paleofantasy/#axzz2lVLlYgZq, setting up strawmen and knocking them down.

I'd recommend for anyone interest in what the topic in general read "The Story of the Human Body" by Daniel E. Lieberman, an evolutionary biologist.

With abandon,
Patrick

Steve Palincsar

Deacon Patrick

Nov 23, 2013, 4:28:14 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that quote is the most intelligent part of the post (a low bar). Clearly they (the scientists) made little to no attempt to understand the actual science and arguments behind eliminating grains, veggie oils, sugar.

With abandon,
Patrick

Garth

Nov 23, 2013, 4:29:26 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Evolution is All "made up" .... lol.   . . .  .just like the Article .

Eat what you want , whatever you want.

Perry

Nov 23, 2013, 4:37:12 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Marlene Zuk is a fool but Sisson we should listen to? Patrick, I love you man, but step away from the cool aid.

• Perry

Deacon Patrick

Nov 23, 2013, 5:17:56 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Perry,

There are amazingly compelling arguments for the modern disease epidemics we see with diabetes, Alzheimer's, obesity, and others, which the two resources I mention explore from very different perspectives. Respond to those rather than making cool aid accusations and we can talk.

With abandon,
Patrick

Christopher Chen

Nov 23, 2013, 5:43:12 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My takeaway is the "evolved to" argument is emotionally compelling because it appeals to this idea of "human nature", but their take was that evolutionary fitness is rather concerned with the first few decades, that once we're past child rearing age, it's just frosting (pardon the sweet pun).

I loved the last quote.

I think the fallacy exposed here is, eating a hunter-gatherer diet implies fitness, doesn't imply that eating something outside the diet doesn't imply fitness. N > P, -N !> -P.

Anyway, I don't see what the fuss is all about (this one particular article anyway). Type II diabetes is basically a family member at this point so if I can avoid getting fat as I get older *and* avoid all the complications, sign me up.

"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink." -- Micah

Deacon Patrick

Nov 23, 2013, 5:46:31 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
An alert reader pointed out it appears I may thing those diseases are a good thing. Here's what my sentence should read: "There are amazingly compelling arguments for the modern disease epidemics we see with diabetes, Alzheimer's, obesity, and others being caused by a diet that leaves us in fat storing mode rather than mostly in fat burning mode, which the two resources I mention explore from very different perspectives."

Hopefully that clarifies my position that diabetes, Alzheimer's, and obesity are not good things. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Bobish

Nov 23, 2013, 5:47:03 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, I know. I've read them. I remain utterly unconvinced. But I won't debate yet again. I'm not going down that rabbit hole one more time.

• Perry

Deacon Patrick

Nov 23, 2013, 5:57:40 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's fine, Perry. I'm not here to convince you. But there is so much benefit from activating our bodies to be fat burning rather than fat storing.  Additionally most diet advice (including what we learned as kids) out there fails to understand that eating less fat actually makes us fatter and increases our chances for getting those very preventable diseases. I'll take fat burning mode over sugar burning mode every time -- that I felt I should respond to the "scientific" response that utterly misses the point, and offer an alternative to the traditional food pyramid (which appears to contribute to much of our current health epidemic).

With abandon,
Patrick

jimD

jimD

Nov 23, 2013, 6:57:37 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Oh gosh, isn't this the RBW-owners-bunch?

We're all about cool aid.

On Nov 23, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Perry <bob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marlene Zuk is a fool but Sisson we should listen to? Patrick, I love you man, but step away from the cool aid.
>
> • Perry

Matthew J

Nov 23, 2013, 7:00:20 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Obesity and diabetes are not common in many parts of the world where people eat large quantities of tubers. These diseases are common in the United States and other countries where people eat large quantities of highly processed corn starch and animals kept in confined feeding lots and fed copious amounts of refined grain full of antibiotics and other drugs.

And of course while potatoes are native to the Americas there are similar edible roots that quite clearly were part of human diets in Africa, Europe and Asia going back to prehistorical times.  Also, potato products were eaten by Native Americans who by all accounts were thin and quite healthy before the Europeans brought them smallpox, etc.  Heck, keep in mind pre-Europer Native Americans had active trade and interaction across a rugged continent that did not have horses or other beasts of burden that could be ridden or pull heavy loads.

Looking at the data and history, I personally think it best to avoid processed foods but will gladly eat an organic sweet potato with no butter or margarine

sameness

Nov 23, 2013, 8:35:23 PM11/23/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For anyone interested in completing the transition to full Paleo, I'd be happy to take over any homes, automobiles, clothing, bikes or computers with which you might otherwise be burdened. Besides, you'll be dead 18 years ago anyway.

Jeff Hagedorn
Warragul, VIC Australia

Patrick Moore

Nov 24, 2013, 4:44:03 PM11/24/13
to rbw-owners-bunch
I'll agree to this. Bringing in "cavemen" is explaining the obscure by the conjectural.

Giving in shamelessly to the temptation to offer another, hardly on topic, topic, I've been having fun reading 1491, the second edition. Apparently corn as the Indians knew it (let along our modern hybrids) took years of deliberate modification, since the ancestral teosinte (the author says) is hardly a food plant -- which raises obvious questions of motive ....

Anyway, no caveman can ride *my* bikes.

Patrick Moore, delightedly eating a guacamole of tomatoes and avocados and old world onions on real, New Mexican tortilla chips during Advent-lent in ABQ, NM.