Flash San Diego Riv Ride Report

hsmitham

Nov 10, 2013, 10:01:43 PM11/10/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It happened again another awesome SoCal Riv ride...Met Curtis and Mike in Del Mar after I dropped off the Atlantis Frame and Fork with Mr. Allen Wanta in Carlsbad for additional braze on's and a fresh coat of paint, had to tear my self away as talking bike stuff can make me lose track of time and space, oh right I did lose some time! Was about half and hour late to the meet up fortunately I have one of those modern devices and gave Curtis a heads up.

We left the Del Martians behind and traveled South toward Torrey Pines State Beach and made a turn East along Carmel Valley Rd skirting the Torrey Pines Preserve lagoon fed by Penaquitos Creek. Just before Interstate 5 we make a right onto Old Sorrento Valley Rd which transitions into Sorrento Valley Rd, we made a pit stop at Cycle Quest tucked into a strip mall in the shadow of Interstate 5 need to go back and really check the place out, you can see the mixed terrain vibe is growing as this shop had Surly and Salsa among other brands. I think we were all anxious to be free of automotive traffic so we rolled over the rail road tracks up Sorrento Valley Blvd and crossed into the Western edge of Penasquitos Canyon making our way over a dry water course and had ridden no more than a couple of miles before we spotted a group from the San Diego Randonneurs travelling West...Mike chatted about their web site and future rides and Randonneur bikes, very nice fellows all atop 29ers. We made our way up the canyon and okay about this time I was in bliss smooth fire road and single track oh and floating over the rough patches were the remounted Hetres hooray for balloon tires.

Continuing on we paused at the Penasquitos water falls and ook in views of the surprising amount of water, but we had a meet up with our fellow Riv rider Tom Virgil so we picked up the pace and giddily glided to the Eastern edge of the Preserve at Black Mountain Rd. From here we climbed North up to Carmel Valley Rd  turned left West toward Camino Del Sur and Tom, who had camera phone in hand.and his luxurious Sam Hillborne with flipped Albatross bars (unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of Tom's Sam, on the next one) which has me thinking now. We had a brief chat and Tom took us into new territory!

At a fair clip riding West down Carmel Valley Rd we turned right on to Lopelia Meadow Pl past new model homes and a Danger no pedestrians sign with orange barrier fencing http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedalpusher61/10785042006/in/set-72157637527430185 (hey it didn't say no bicyclists) before us was a surreal graded plain with farming discards, tomato stakes, graffiti-ed trailer and massive sewer section also adorned with graffiti. We pressed on for our second canyon "Gonzales Canyon" which we dropped into and the rest of the world melted away...more smooth single track with undulating sections as the trail traced a line from canyon floor to it's sloping sides. We paused often both to take in the solitude and route suggestions from Tom...at a point he mentioned a 45% climb and I must say I was skeptical...wrong we all fsound our LCG as we topped out of the Canyon at it's South Western terminus at Torrey Pines Public Park on the back side of Torrey Pine High School.

We lost Tom to family obligations and we all thanked him for showing us a new playground as this area has a network of fire roads and trails which run for miles upon miles in nearly every direction, more to explore. Can't thank Tom enough he's a wonderful man and great riding partner.

The three of us rode down to El Camino Real heading North and picked up our third dirt section near Via Del Valle Rd (This is near the Equestrian Center Tom spoke of thanks to Tom we avoided any nasty horse people) we entered the San Dieguito River Park Lagoon trail and rode along the edge of the serene waters of the lagoon with blue sky and soft wispy clouds above and the Del Mar Fair Grounds across the lagoon to our right. Exiting the trail at Camino Del Mar at River Mouth we headed North onto Hwy 101 to Solana Beach and Pizza Port for refreshments.

I always experience a bit of sadness as a great ride comes to it's end but in the end was completely satisfied with the ride and so pleased with the company as Curtis, Mike and Tom are great fellows to ride with.

Here are my set of pictures to prove that it indeed happened.

~Hugh

dougP

Nov 10, 2013, 11:03:09 PM11/10/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh:

Great description & love the photos.  Love the shot of Mike going under the orange fencing.  You're right; it seems to say "no pedestrians".  Curtis inspires me to dig out a Hawai'ian shirt for our next adventure.  I've been all over the paved roads in that area but lots of the dirt connectors would be new turf, which is always welcome.  When your frame is ready would be a good reason for another trip down this way.

dougP

cyclotourist

Nov 10, 2013, 11:05:58 PM11/10/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is the one that got away for sure... I didn't have the time to
put into it unfortunately :-( Looks perfect in every way!
> --

Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 12:00:19 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David,

The only thing wrong about this ride was it was too short on time.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 12:11:35 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Doug,

Well were not sure that was Mike ;-)

Curtis is inspiring me to wear some cruise wear too!

And from what I saw there's a bunch to explore! For example dirt trails heading North all the way to San Marcos and from what Mike said the San Diego Randonneurs have a route all the way to Escondido or even further...and that San Dieguito lagoon trail  is supposed to go all the way to Vulcan Mountain. So no twisting my arm I'm ready to explore. The Atlantis is  supposed to be ready in six weeks then the build so maybe the first major ride with the Atlantis will be the Strada Rossa? I'm ready for  San Diego most anytime.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 12:16:36 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's the trail and where it routes on it's way to Vulcan.

Best,

~Hugh

Esteban

Nov 11, 2013, 12:17:48 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I know the first half well - this second part is what intrigues me. Great write up - makes me curious about my own home turf!

Esteban

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 12:22:52 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Esteban,

I lived in SD for 15 years and never new about Gonzalez Canyon and there are tons of other canyons and the Lagoon trail is new. So I'll be semi moving back ;-)

Best,

~Hugh

Tom Virgil

Nov 11, 2013, 1:23:08 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
These were wonderful gentlemen to ride with.

"Gonzales Canyon" which we dropped into and the rest of the world melted away..."  It was exactly that.  I live nearby and feel that "escape" every time I go in.  This time was special with you guys.

I told Jahantab about our Alejandro sighting at RSF and CVR, or at least his belongings on the cart.  That motivated her to cut up some melon (it was a hot day), pack some frozen food we had (he has a stove), and meet up there with me on the bike (she does not do bikes, she drove).  We talked for about an hour, the three of us.  He is, very much, "the fool on the hill".  I am intrigued, but wonder in my heart what really is the right thing to do about him.

~blessings,

Tom

James Warren

Nov 11, 2013, 1:28:04 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hugh,
Congrats on a great ride! I'm so glad to see Mike S. out there enjoying.

Sorry I couldn't join you guys. Once again, a work conflict kept me from the San Diego group ride experience. But I'm glad you all went big, and I was lucky enough to join David in Redlands.

-Jim W.

James Warren

- 700x55

Mike Schiller

Nov 11, 2013, 1:38:11 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It was a great ride, over mostly new terrain for me.  Hugh and Curtis, and Tom for a short section, were great riding partners and made the day perfect.  I had just switched back to Hetres and was just amazed at how well those tires performed. Fast on pavement, smooth on dirt and even well behaved in rock gardens and sand.

I'll certainly be back for more on those trails. It's just amazing what sort of trails you can find with a little help and research.

~mike

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 2:02:26 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

As much as I like Pizza Port I have to say that Hanger 24 Brew pub looks inviting. As far as the San Diego ride there is more to come so I know you'll make another.

Best,

~Hugh

sameness

Nov 11, 2013, 3:11:44 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice report, but totally making me homesick.

Jeff "Rancho Bernardo Born 'n Bred" Hagedorn
Warragul, VIC Australia

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 3:40:54 AM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Come on back! Or at the least when you visit let us know and we'll throw another Flash ride together.

Best,

~Hugh

Andy Smitty Schmidt

Nov 11, 2013, 12:17:15 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks like it was a good one. Enjoyed the pics.

--Smitty

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 12:42:31 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy, just playing catch up with you soggy sorts up in Puddle Town.

Best,

~Hugh

WETH

Nov 11, 2013, 2:25:38 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh,
That looks like a great ride.  The video was cool, and while I didn't believe you had crashed, I kept thinking, "Watch where your going!" :)
I can hope my travels will bring me to Southern California one day, and I can join you on one of these outings.  Thanks for sharing.
Erl

WETH

Nov 11, 2013, 2:26:40 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
...of course "your" should be "you're" .... darn autocorrect.

Curtis McKenzie

Nov 11, 2013, 2:26:52 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh,  thanks for putting together such a nice ride.  It was great to ride with Mike and Tom. So many out of the way spots in North County San Diego.  Local knowledge is great.

Here a a few picture from my point of view.

Looking forward to the next one,

Curtis

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Andy Smitty Schmidt <54c...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Curtis McKenzie

Nov 11, 2013, 2:59:09 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Neglected to mention that after a day of riding I came home to the catalog in the mail. A good end to a great day of riding.

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 3:00:57 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Erl,

Thanks for your concern...I have a rear view mirror so was aware of the traffic even though it looked otherwise. And yes when you do visit by all means we will throw one together in your honor. IIRC you're in the DC area, one of these days I'll make it out there and we'll ride together.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 3:05:55 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis,

It was a fantastic day...on the next one I plan on putting a bit more leisure into my pedal stroke especially if we start a bit earlier. And your welcome I can't take too much credit as it's always a group effort, I just try to facilitate and see what happens. Time to start thinking about the nest overnight.

And thanks for your company.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 3:06:47 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ah the old patience card payed off. Enjoy the read.

Best,

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 4:05:46 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Tom Virgil

Nov 11, 2013, 10:19:57 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Although I caught but a part of it, I am still enjoying the memory of this ride.  This is the second time I have been out on a Hugh inspired and organized ride.  Hugh has a talent for choosing time, location, and routes, and I really appreciate him setting this up.  Curtis and Mike are tops as fellow riders; it was my second time one with them as well.

The best exclamation of the ride (from Hugh): "There will be more!".

I am still LOL at this.  You guys probably think I am cynical, but I'll stop here and go no further.

Best regards,

Tom

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 10:28:29 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

We were glad to have you on that part.

Not sure what you're cynical about as the link went to my Flickr show?

Thanks for the kind words and as Mike Shiller said "I live for this" or some such exclamation.

Best,

~Hugh

Tom Virgil

Nov 11, 2013, 10:33:31 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
OK, that's not the link I was thinking of and my comments in passing.  In the interest of keeping this a Rivendell bicycle forum, I'll let go of it, but I am still laughing about it.  The nerve of some people.

Tom Virgil

Nov 11, 2013, 11:09:41 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just to keep things in good spirits, it is the image of the stiletto heeled, um, shoes.  It's not the first time I have seen something like this in the "hood".  I don't know what it is that attracts them here.

That being said, thanks for diverting the ride to play in my "back yard".  I am very fond of those areas for biking and walking my dog, Louie.  Pardee Construction will continue to encroach on the "graded plain" area with their new development and push out the Alejandro's, but the Gonzales itself is part of the Black Mountain Preserve and is reasonably protected.  Remember the "Sword Way"  sign"?  That goes for about a 1/2 mile trip up the canyon to a trail head that is about one mile from my driveway.  You guys are welcome to come and explore further from my home.

~Tom

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 11:19:04 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom, is that a offer for tent space?? Just kidding. I so will be back down for more exploring. You can count on that.

I presume the Stiletto heels and other paraphernalia were for a photo shoot as we saw a changing tent, and photography gear...I imagine as it's so close to a parking lot and has a beautiful natural setting and  the west setting sun to help get just the right light it must be popular. It was surreal though to pop out of the canyon and see all this stuff strewn asunder as if it was a crime scene. And yes it makes me laugh. Thanks for reminding me.

Best,

~Hugh

Tom Virgil

Nov 11, 2013, 11:47:27 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tent space?  Bedroom space?  No problem. Our kids are adults now and we have the big house. I joke to my friends that I have attempted to childproof the house, but they keep back getting in.  Most of the time they are on their own.  Want to try a teardrop trailer?  We can roll it out on the driveway and level it.   It has all of the amenities (built in kitchen, and other cool stuff) and sure beats the doghouse when Jahan is furious with me for one of my transgressions.  As the years go by, that happens a lot less.
~Tom

Hugh Smitham

Nov 11, 2013, 11:58:48 PM11/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I love those teardrops, there is this company out in Wisconsin http://www.tinycamper.com/ or one of those cold Northern States that make the most beautifully appointed trailers interiors with wood paneling and lots of well thought out appointments. One of these days.

Ah yes the years have a way of smoothing things out, I've been in the proverbial Dog house a time or two, but I'm learning a happy wife makes a happy life.

That's very kind but I have about three places to stay in Carmel Valley the principle are my Parents home.

Best,

~Hugh

David Yu Greenblatt

Nov 12, 2013, 11:09:08 AM11/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Very sorry to have missed this ride in my back yard; I was doing stuff with my kids.
Anybody up for another San Diego area ride this Sunday, the 17th?

- David G in Carmel Valley, San Diego