What tires do you use for trail riding?

DS

Jan 25, 2015, 5:33:40 PM1/25/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Another tire question (just posted something specific to Big Bens)

I've been riding Smart Sams 2.1's on my Hunqapillar (26") and been pretty happy with them on the trails, but I can't leave well enough alone. Curious, what tires do ya'll run for trail riding? Does anyone use a different tire for the front than rear?

Deacon Patrick

Jan 25, 2015, 7:08:42 PM1/25/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I ride Smart Sams 2.25" front, 2.1" rear on my Hunqapillar, Clement MSO's on my QuickBeam. I love both. I inflate them to 40 psi and then leave them untouched for a long time. When I do refill them they are quite low. I ride everything from paved (to get to the trails) to MUPs and backcountry single track. I love them. I started out with 50mm Duremes, so anything knobby would have been an improvement on the trails.

With abandon,
Patrick

George Millwood

Jan 25, 2015, 7:44:08 PM1/25/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

"but I can't leave well enough alone"

That just about sums up half my existence.  it resonates within me.

jinxed

Jan 25, 2015, 7:49:00 PM1/25/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For 26" there's a LOT of great tires. I imagine you'll get a different response from everyone and they'll all be good.

For strictly off road use I've been really happy with the IRC MythosXC 26x2.1 that I'm running on my MB3. Good volume and big knobs work well in loose rocky stuff.
I also had great luck with a Kenda Klimax XC Lite 26x1.95. It's a bit narrower with almost CX tread, but silly light at @350g. CHEAP too!

If riding pavement to the trail, I really like the Continental Town and Country, or the Maxxis Holy Roller. The T&C is would be the more road mannered of the two, but the deep reverse tread works surprisingly well in dirt. The Holy Roller is just a 26" version of a classic BMX tread. The same thing we all probably bombed trails on as kids. Kind of a mushed checker board tread.

David Stein

Jan 25, 2015, 10:25:09 PM1/25/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Patrick - that is the setup I'm leaning towards, especially since I already have the 2.1 on the rear, only one tire to buy! glad its working out!