Bosco shifter placement

DS

Jul 19, 2015, 9:37:49 PM7/19/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For those of you riding bosco bars, where do you place the shifters? Thinking about a cockpit swap on my Sam, and wondering if bar ends or thumbies are the way to go, and if thumbies where to put them?

Consequently, if anyone has a bosco cockpit (all or whole) they're interested in selling, let me know ;) I need the bars (looking at the 52), stem (don't know length, I run 8cm on my albastaches), brake levers.

Clayton.sf

Jul 20, 2015, 12:55:25 AM7/20/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bar ends are ergonomically great but in a vulnerable position. On boscos I like to put my thumbies about 2/3rds down on the downsloping section and angle them in a little. It is real estate typically not used anyway and a more protected spot - at least for how my bike falls. Still very easy to reach too.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA

JohnS

Jul 20, 2015, 9:21:03 AM7/20/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I also went with having thumb shifters on the down sloping part of the bar and used inverse brake levers on my old school Bosco like bars. Works and looks great. The only tricky part was wrapping the handle bar tape around the shifter.

JohnS

EGNolan

Jul 20, 2015, 12:34:25 PM7/20/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have my rear/right shifter on the inside of the bar, just past the brake lever on my Handsome XOXO. I put a thumbie on the stem for the front derialer. If I had had two of the same thumbie, I would've put both on the bar, but since I had two different kinds, I figured I'd switch it up. I also have bar end shifters on another bike w/ Boscos, but with the long sweep, bump into them fairly often. I'd go thumbie. Can't sell any of this because it's too dang comfy.

Best,
Eric

Doug Williams

Jul 20, 2015, 7:54:09 PM7/20/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My Riv has Albas and Silver bar ends. My Bosco bars are on my non-Riv bike. I use (gasp) twist shifters. They have been trouble free and ergonomically sweet.

Doug

Bill Lindsay

Jul 21, 2015, 4:02:44 AM7/21/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It will be neither the first time nor the last time people think I'm a weirdo, but on my Bosco Bullmoose bars, I currently run the thumbies near the center, just inside where the Bullmoose extension is brazed on. That allowed me to run continuous newbaums from brake lever to that brazed joint.

David Stein

Jul 21, 2015, 10:51:03 AM7/21/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thats not a bad idea, Bill. I'm assuming you're happy w/ that setup?

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 1:02 AM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:
It will be neither the first time nor the last time people think I'm a weirdo, but on my Bosco Bullmoose bars, I currently run the thumbies near the center, just inside where the Bullmoose extension is brazed on. That allowed me to run continuous newbaums from brake lever to that brazed joint.

Bill Lindsay

Jul 21, 2015, 11:46:27 AM7/21/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's completely out of the way for using a bunch of hand positions. It is kind of a reach when I'm reaching from the grips, but certainly less than the reach to downtube shifters.

Clayton.sf

Jul 21, 2015, 12:02:11 PM7/21/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
but would clutter the aero hand position, no?

Liesl

Jul 21, 2015, 12:54:08 PM7/21/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see photos of these various positions!

On both Erin's Cheviot and my wee Appaloosa Custom, we have them mounted "Keven-Style" meaning inboard and immediately forward of the brake lever bracket, using Paul Thumbies.

Also did the stem-mount on the non-bullmoose boscos I have on the Saluki. Not a great picture, but I also attached the proto appaloosa that was living at Riv.

I like all these versions, and am still interested in all the variety described in this thread!

Custom Keven Style Thumbies.jpg
Saluki with Boscos.jpg
Proto Appaloosa Boscos.jpg

Johnny Alien

Jul 22, 2015, 7:09:51 AM7/22/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is exactly why I am contemplating going with the ird stem mounts. It really seems like maybe that is the best place for shifters and upright bars.

Clayton.sf

Jul 22, 2015, 2:45:07 PM7/22/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here some pictures of how shifters are placed. Accessible, reasonable protected, yet completely out of the way for all useable hand positions.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA