Dia compe knob grip?

Conway Bennett

Sep 14, 2014, 2:42:43 PM9/14/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Anyone use these? Have them to sell? I'm looking to get a little bit more out of my albatross bar. Thoughts?

FW,

CBB

Deacon Patrick

Sep 14, 2014, 3:36:10 PM9/14/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Conceptually, if you don't need brakes while in the curves, the knob grip would be excellent to try in the curves of the Albatross bars. It was what I was planning on trying until I sussed out that brakes in the curves were essential for me. I can't help you find them though. Curious how they work out for you when you do.

With abandon,
Patrick

WETH

Sep 14, 2014, 4:29:45 PM9/14/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Conway,
I use the bar ends off some old Ergon grips I had in inventory. I placed them forward on my albatross bars. They provide a nice place to hook my thumb or index finger if I am leaning forward and gripping the bars forward of the bend. Visual here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/86975051@N08/14710793269/
They work well enough.
All the best,
Erl

Goshen Peter

Sep 14, 2014, 5:11:53 PM9/14/14
to rbw-owners-bunch
I like them
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67889635@N06/8615929939/ , they kinda emulate the ramps of a drop bar setup (in my mind at least, YMMV) they are for sale at velo orange sometimes but sold out right now. I got mine from SJS, great company

captaincon...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2014, 5:15:38 PM9/14/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking some cheap mountain stubbies? I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is something like a VO crazy or jones type bar. I added some mountain grips in lieu of full tape then started taping and twining forward of the levers on the bends and got to thinking that I never, ever use them and may want something to grip or rest my hands on which I do on my cross levers. If you give a mouse a cookie I guess.

Fair winds,

Captain Conway Bennett

Goshen Peter

Sep 14, 2014, 5:19:35 PM9/14/14
to rbw-owners-bunch
you mean those crazy horn things on end the Walmart mtb handlebars? If they are the right diameter I guess you could slide them down the bars until they stick out front like the crazy bars. I have never seen it done before but hey, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

David Banzer

Sep 14, 2014, 10:35:16 PM9/14/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Non-aero brake levers can be converted to do this (dummy levers) by essentially taking them apart, removing the actual lever, and putting remaining parts back together. I did that on a fixed gear/front-brake-only/drop-bar setup where I wanted to have a hood hand placement. Original B'stone mustache setups I believe had this option (?) of have an extra set of hoods on the inner curve just out from the clamp area.
David
Chicago

jtallman

Sep 15, 2014, 8:58:03 AM9/15/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Conway,

I put a pair of mountain bike barend grips on my bosco bars. I like them more than I thought I would. Give me even more hand positions and let me stretch forward. A picture here: https://flic.kr/p/e2PjbY

I have albatross bars on another bike - no extensions, but did cover the curves with leather. https://flic.kr/p/fdofZ5

Jon Tallman

Marc Irwin

Sep 15, 2014, 10:04:05 AM9/15/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use them on my Bosco Bars as well, they are known as "stoker knobs" to provide the stoker on a tandem to have "hoods" to lean on.  They are available at Ben's Cycle in MIlwaukee as well as other places.

Marc

Evan Baird

Sep 19, 2014, 5:27:45 PM9/19/14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Have em. Love em.

El Sapo

Feb 14, 2016, 10:57:19 AM2/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
They have a couple of different sizes.
22.2 & 23.8
Which is the right one for the bosco bullmoose?

iamkeith

Feb 14, 2016, 4:01:06 PM2/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
22.2 is the diameter of the grip are of the bar of the bosco and most upright / mtb bars.   23.8 is the grip area diameter of most drop bars.

By resurrecting this thread, I take it you found a current source?

Missed the thread when it was new, but here are some pictures of how I use them.  Same way as the stoker dummys were used on the original XO-1.  They give a little more knee clearance, but still make the extra grip position viable.  I love them and use the position often on long rides.   Sadly, the bars aren't this pretty any more.   Must have taken these shots right after building the bikes.

El Sapo

Feb 14, 2016, 5:59:33 PM2/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Keith, I ordered them from SJS. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are in stock.

Bill in Roswell GA

Aug 29, 2016, 10:02:27 PM8/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Evan, what is your bike? Always curious as to what everyone is riding.

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

Adam

Jul 3, 2021, 1:32:25 PM7/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm just resurrecting this thread to see if anyone knows of a U.S. source for the 22.2mm clamp version of these dia compe knob grips?

I see the larger ones at the SOMA site. SJS has the smaller, correct size but with a crazy shipping fee from the UK.

If anyone knows where to get them, or have some around they want to sell, I'm looking.

Adam