Calling all SoCal Rivsters S240 August 23rd anyone? See details below.

hsmitham

Jul 31, 2013, 8:12:14 PM7/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
SoCal Rivesters,

I was thinking of a S240 for Friday the 23rd at San Mateo Campground near San Onofre State Beach. For those in the North we could meet at Doug P's home and ride the 30 miles to the site. Those in the South could either meet us at the Metro link station in Irvine and ride down with us or ride the Metro link to Oceanside and ride through Camp Pendleton to the site, a few options to choose from. Suggestions are  welcome. Once there we can jump in the Pacific and rollick in the surf. I figure this would be a good date before the Labor Day weekend.

Here's the rub though, there is only one site available at this moment so I need a count quick before I reserve it.

Thanks for looking,

~Hugh

Mike Schiller

Jul 31, 2013, 8:17:11 PM7/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to Hugh, but I'm on a backpacking trip that week. How about we do the Crystal Cove campground the next weekend. It's a primitive site so easy to get reservations. I'm all recovered from my crash, finally.

~mike

dougP

Jul 31, 2013, 8:19:00 PM7/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh:

Count me in!  Great spot.  And yes, plenty of free parking in front of my house.  I'm a mile from the Tustin Metrolink station for those that want to train down this far & ride to San Mateo.

dougP

hsmitham

Jul 31, 2013, 8:28:38 PM7/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ok I booked it cause I was afraid it would be gone! So I'm all the way in. Mike sorry you can't but this was short notice so I sort of expected this would happen with some. Anyway we can work on another date. Also I think it would great if we could all meet @ Doug's or the Metro Link station. Food for thought.

~Hugh

Tom Virgil

Jul 31, 2013, 11:57:36 PM7/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A ride up Camp Pendleton from Oceanside in late afternoon or early evening is a very nice experience.  A call to the Public Affairs Officer (PAO) at (760)-725-5799 or e-mail mcb.cpe...@usmc.mil can help clarify access.  There are no longer blanket long term closures, but some USMC training operations might block a particular set of days.  One needs to call ahead.  If the coast is clear (obvious chance to use that phrase, don't you know), you will need an ID such as a California Driver's license to clear the guard post at the South entrance.  If the coast is not clear, you are diverted onto the shoulder of I5.  I did that once after 9/11 in the era of long term closure and will never do it again; better to boost a ride on Metrolink and retain your sanity without lasting psychosis.

For those who have never done it, the personnel on the base are very professional gentlemen and gentle-women.  I have never encountered anything but courtesy, encouragement, and enthusiasm from them on my rides across the base.  Sometimes they are performing operations and their equipment and professionalism is impressive.

Camping with other Riv oriented folks at San Mateo sounds great.  I would love to see you and see the bikes.  I cannot commit because of mid-term reviews at my place of employment.  If I can break away, I will.  That's why it's an S24O!

Some other options...  (Maybe not so S24O) Peddle up Camp Pendleton, dine at an Italian restaurant (recommend Guicho's), credit car tour into hotel (San Clemente Surf Inn works well), chow down at Adele's Cafe,  rest, digest, and ride back South.  My San Diego friends call this Pedal and Pig/Pig and Pedal.

Hope I can hook up.

Tom

cyclotourist

Aug 1, 2013, 12:46:14 AM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A tentative "Yes". Thanks for putting this together!
If you're going to be @ San Mateo, you absolutely HAVE to ride the "No
Tools" trail on the San Clemente Singletrack. It parallels
Christianitos Rd and doesn't have any real climbs. Just up and downs
and all arounds.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/9323152107/in/photostream/
> --

Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

James Warren

Aug 1, 2013, 1:14:27 AM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For that matter, in the industry in general why are so few TT upslope angles included in geometry info? With Rivs, for example, it's important to know that some models slope about 2 degrees, while others slope 6 degrees. The 6 degree ones shoot those bars up about 4 extra centimeters relative to the seat. (It's about a cm of height per degree.) fortunately, Rivendell is one company that does provide TT upslope numbers.

Sent from my iPhone

James Warren

Aug 1, 2013, 1:17:04 AM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Hugh. It sounds cool, but I'm assuming it will be too close to my return south after a long bay area trip. We also have a school inservice keeping me stuck in PV most of Friday. I'll let y'all know if I change my fortunes.

Sent from my iPhone

Curtis McKenzie

Jul 31, 2013, 10:31:53 PM7/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh no, I just thought of something that may prevent me from going.......Homer can't swim.

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013, Curtis McKenzie wrote:
Hugh, count me in. A great way to end the summer.

Curtis McKenzie

Jul 31, 2013, 9:02:04 PM7/31/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh, count me in. A great way to end the summer.

Hugh Smitham

Aug 1, 2013, 8:32:50 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Thanks for the advice I neglected to mention said sage advice...humm as far as moteling it where's the fun in that? That is unless they allow camp fires in the lobby...I do hope you can make it.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

Evan Spacht

Aug 1, 2013, 9:14:39 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
About 96% in.
Need to check with work.

-Evan

Mitch Browne

Aug 1, 2013, 10:08:38 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh,

I don't have any camping gear but Tom's suggestion re: San Clemente Inn sounds interesting given it's only a mile away.

Although I went through training at Camp Pendleton longer-ago-Than-I-care-to-remember I don't know this area at all.

Would this violate the S240 spirit? I did enjoy the brief visit up here last week with you, Evan, and omnipresent DougP.

I'd have to see how this shakes out with the beginning of school.

Mitch Browne
San Luis Obispo, CA

dougP

Aug 1, 2013, 10:48:03 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
IIRC Camp Pendleton also has a mandatory helmet requirement, in addition to the ID.  OTH, if diverted onto I-5, it's generally between Harbor Blvd in Oceanside and Las Pulgas, where the old highway is next to I-5 & accessible without going on-base.  Don't recall the distance but have been diverted a few times & haven't found it too bad a ride.  A bit noisy but hugely wide bike lane.  The Marines are pretty good at routing you through or around whatever they may be doing.  A plus is snagging a photo of your bike leaning against the sign "Tank Xing".

dougP

dougP

Aug 1, 2013, 10:56:33 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mitch:

Just get on down here & we'll make it happen.  My interpretation of "the S24O spirit" is just to get out for an overnight & break the routine.  Camping gear is easy to borrow.  Lodging is fine if it gets you away but you miss all the campfire fun.  But, wait, yes, you have lights!  You can hang out, cruise back to town (a whopping mile away) & we'll see you for breakfast.

dougP

Hugh Smitham

Aug 1, 2013, 11:33:24 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mitch,

It was good to meet you and would enjoy your presence on this S240. Doug has a point, you can ride your bike for evening festivities then (with appropriate lighting) ride the mile or so to the Inn and reconvene for Breakfast.

David mentioned a single track called the  "No
Tools" trail on the San Clemente Singletrack. It parallels
Christianitos Rd though I don't know the distance ect... I know I'll be riding the 30 odd miles to camp so theoretically I could unload the Hilsen then do a short single track ride. As long as I have time to go swimming and of course daylight to cook or ride to town for a meal.

I'd like to get a count of those joining for the ride down and  meeting at Doug's.

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

Hugh Smitham

Aug 1, 2013, 11:34:51 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis,

Awesome! Glad to have you in on this one.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

Curtis McKenzie

Aug 1, 2013, 11:40:19 PM8/1/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would like to take the train from San Diego to Irvine and ride down with the group.  I will check the Amtrak schedule.

--
Curtis

James Warren

Aug 2, 2013, 12:34:09 AM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Do you guys know what time the meetup for this ride will be on the Friday?

-Jim W.

Sent from my iPhone

dougP

Aug 2, 2013, 12:37:19 AM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Meet point is in Irvine, close to I-5 & Culver Dr, and the Tustin Metrolink station.  From here it is nominally 30 miles to San Mateo so a mid-afternoon start gives plenty of time.  So far looks like 4-5-6 (???).

dougP

James Warren

Aug 2, 2013, 1:31:10 AM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gonna be tight. It all depends how much time our school admin wants to take requiring us to learn things in a mandatory meeting day. I may not make it down in time. So if you're counting heads, I have to say no. However, I'm gonna crash it if things work out.

-Jim W.

Sent from my iPhone

cyclotourist

Aug 2, 2013, 1:44:45 AM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping to make it, should be a lot of fun. The singletrack I
mentioned and encourage you all to ride is very doable with Riv-ish
bikes. It starts pretty close to the San Mateo Campground's entrance.

Knobbies are not needed.

Does anyone have an extra 1P tent I could borrow?

Hugh Smitham

Aug 2, 2013, 2:16:14 AM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

At the least you can drive down and hang with us or perhaps take a later train to San Clemente which is a 5 mile ride to San Mateo Campground, then we'll ride the single track, swim, eat and carry on about Rivendell bikes.

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

Hugh Smitham

Aug 2, 2013, 2:19:36 AM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David,

Let me see I have a spare tent you can use. I have a 1 person about 3 lbs & 2 person with a trail weight( Fly, poles & footprint) of 4 lbs works well. Let me decide which I'm bringing and you can use the other. Cool?

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

cyclotourist

Aug 2, 2013, 2:24:38 AM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks!

dougP

Aug 2, 2013, 8:56:43 PM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis:

When you book your ticket on the Surfliner, remember to "add a bike".  There's no charge but you need a bike reservation.  There are only 6 per train (yeh, the whole train!) to book early, especially on a weekend in summer.

An added "wrinkle" I ran into on the NorCal / SoCal event was not every train is set up for bikes to "roll on".  I had to remove my panniers & hand the bike up to the conductor in the baggage car.  The bike is fastened to a rack in the car but you're not allowed in.

Look forward to seeing you on the ride.  The Irvine station is on the route south, about 6 miles from my house.  Another option you may consider is taking the Coaster to Oceanside & hopping onto Metrolink north.  If you do that, go to Tustin (Amtrak does not stop at Tustin).

dougP

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:17:11 PM UTC-7, Mike Schiller wrote:
I'd love to Hugh, but I'm on a backpacking trip that week. How about we do the Crystal Cove campground the next weekend. It's a primitive site so easy to get reservations. I'm all recovered from my crash, finally.

~mike

Curtis

dougP

Aug 2, 2013, 8:57:47 PM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Not yet but it's only 30 miles so mid-afternoon gives plenty of time.  When can you get here?

dougP

dougP

Aug 2, 2013, 8:59:57 PM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David:

"Knobbies are not needed. "  Whew!

I can come up with another tent.

dougP

dougP

Aug 2, 2013, 9:04:10 PM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jim:

See about your schedule & we can work it out.  Southbound in the afternoon has good service so you could park at Tustin (huge parking structure) & take a southbound to Laguna Niguel, or San Juan.  We can figure it out once you get your schedule firmed up.

dougP

Evan Spacht

Aug 2, 2013, 9:47:08 PM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Count me in.

I'm becoming a fan of these scheduled mental health breaks.

-ES

dougP

Aug 2, 2013, 11:16:15 PM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!  So we're at 6-7 now?  Looking good.

dougP

Tom Virgil

Aug 3, 2013, 12:20:12 AM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is starting to shape up to be something too good to miss.  In am going to really try to reshuffle some professional obligations and make it happen.  After all, it is "S24O".  There must be some time I can find. Barring any passage problems on Camp Pendleton, I would be riding up from Del Mar in the early evening to San Mateo.  I think it is really nice of Hugh to propose this.

Best regards,

Tom

Curtis McKenzie

Aug 2, 2013, 11:08:27 PM8/2/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Doug Thanks for the train advice.  I just need to know an approximate time for getting into Irvine. I don't mind arriving early and pedaling around Irvine for a bit. This will be a blast.

Curtis

cyclotourist

Aug 3, 2013, 12:48:59 AM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What time is the estimated meet up time in Tustin/Irvine? I'm working
that day, so later is better. I might have to meet up in SC.

Hugh Smitham

Aug 3, 2013, 1:21:03 AM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Hope you can make it. As Grant puts it a S240 is a quick not too many logistical issues involved affair, and even if there are issues it's just an overnight the next day were all back to civilization. But yes it is shaping up nicely. I hope to put more of these together and try to bring more SoCal Riv riders together and not let the NorCalers  have all the fun. As Evan put it, it's nice to have a mental health day.

Best.

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

Hugh Smitham

Aug 3, 2013, 1:24:49 AM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think we can shoot for 4 pm or so. Lets get some feedback on depart time. If Jim can make it then it needs to be later. Jim what time will work for you or do you want to opt out on this part and figure as you put it "to crash the event". I'll probably get down early and ride around Irvine and visit with Doug, so perhaps Curtis we'll meet up.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

James Warren

Aug 3, 2013, 2:26:06 AM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

The problem is that my school has not given us an agenda yet, so you all should plan what works for you and then I'll jump in if possible.

Hugh Smitham

Aug 3, 2013, 2:31:35 AM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

Thanks,  we'll make plans and hope it works out for you to join in.

Best,

Deacon Patrick

Aug 3, 2013, 8:45:39 AM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am in awe at the response you Westcoasters get on these things. Beautiful! Enjoy!

With abandon,
Patrick

Hugh Smitham

Aug 3, 2013, 12:02:25 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Deacon, though the sheer beauty in which you and your family bike-camp is awe inspiring. I can see why you live there.

~Hugh

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

dougP

Aug 3, 2013, 12:18:57 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd start from Irvine no later than 4 PM.

dougP

cyclotourist

Aug 3, 2013, 1:34:08 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I'll have to get off work a bit early, but think I can pull it
off! Worst case scenario is I meet you in San Clemente.

On 8/3/13, dougP <doug...@cox.net> wrote:
> I'd start from Irvine no later than 4 PM.
>
> dougP
>
> On Friday, August 2, 2013 10:24:49 PM UTC-7, hsmitham wrote:
>>
>> I think we can shoot for 4 pm or so. Lets get some feedback on depart
>> time. If Jim can make it then it needs to be later. Jim what time will
>> work
>> for you or do you want to opt out on this part and figure as you put it
>> crash the event". I'll probably get down early and ride around Irvine and
>>
>> visit with Doug, so perhaps Curtis we'll meet up.
>>
>> Best,
>>

>> Hugh
>> Sunland, Ca
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM, cyclotourist
>> <cyclot...@gmail.com<javascript:>
>>> .
>>> >

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> David
>>>
>>> "it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal
>>>
>>> --
>>> .

hsmitham

Aug 3, 2013, 2:08:44 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. So this is what I have:

9 riders total
4 are definite shows: Doug, Evan, Curtis & Me riding from Irvine.
5 are maybe's have to work or rearrange schedules Tom Virgil, David Estes, Jim Warren, Mitch Browne and Mike Shiller.

Tom needs to rearrange his schedule, David is working and may need to meet in San Clemente, Jim is being held captive on a mandatory meeting, Mitch has possible work conflict start of school and I heard from Mike that his ankle is still problematic with swelling so as he put it backpacking with 35 lbs not the best idea, so he might be up for pedaling.

So I think a 4 pm start it is. Camp Friday night and plan on the Single track ride Saturday morning that David mentioned. David can you give us some more statistics on the "No Tools" trail? Distance ect... Since SC is so close how many would want to ride in the morning for Breakfast? Or do we want the full camp experience and make all our meals? Doug I know where you stand on this one. Doug is on the restaurant side of the ledger.

Also I may ride South on Saturday to meet up with my wife in Oceanside? I need to confirm with her on her plans for that weekend...we have friends in Oceanside & Carlsbad she may visit with.

Best,

~Hugh

cyclotourist

Aug 3, 2013, 3:32:59 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The restaurant on the pier is a little ways away from camp (as opposed
to Adele's), but is a great place to eat and quite reasonable for
breakfast. Lots of options!

cyclotourist

Aug 3, 2013, 3:50:17 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No Tools has minimal overall elevation gain. Lots of little rollers
over/around/through the different gullies coming down from the hills.
Rideable with any sort of tire or bike, just depends on how fast you
want to go. I'd say at most 2 hrs out and back. Don't know the
distance, I Just Ride it. :-) It's a very nice intro to singletrack
for anyone not used to technical rides (I take my 11 y.o. on it, he
can ride it all) and a smile-inducing ride for the pros who just want
to be out and about a mile from the ocean.

On 8/3/13, hsmitham <hughs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David can you give us some more statistics on the "No Tools" trail? Distance ect...

Mike Schiller

Aug 3, 2013, 4:06:55 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
maybe I should throw on the big knobbies just in case?

What route were you planning on from Tustin?  I'm thinking I would train up Friday if I go.The 1st afternoon Metrolink from Oceanside arrives in Tustin at 356pm so that would work.

I would ride home to Carlsbad on Saturday.

~mike

Mike Schiller

Aug 3, 2013, 4:09:43 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
or Irvine at 349pm if that's better.

~mike

Hugh Smitham

Aug 3, 2013, 4:23:21 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Mike,

The earlier I would think the better.
David, thanks for the extra info on the single track. I'm sold especially when you attached smiles, but I'm an easy sell:-)

On Aug 3, 2013 1:09 PM, "Mike Schiller" <mikey...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
or Irvine at 349pm if that's better.

~mike

dougP

Aug 3, 2013, 10:48:08 PM8/3/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"What route were you planning on from Tustin? "

Likely take Irvine Center Dr to Barranca & past the Irvine Amtrak station.  There's a couple of ways thru the Saddleback Valley that roughly parallel the tracks (always the path of least resistance) or Alicia Pkwy to Crown Valley to the coast at Monarch Bay (more hilly, more scenic) & south on PCH.

We can sort out the details as we go but with cell phones is easy to make changes on the fly.  No worries.

dougP
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Hugh Smitham

Aug 6, 2013, 3:09:02 AM8/6/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Evan,

Sorry I only have my Cosmo and likely will purchase another.  May I suggest you post it both on CL & the list-serve then I will direct you to a web seller that's reasonable price wise. That is if you can't find a trade. On the group make sure to post as FS/WTT Nitto R-14 rack for Tubus Cosmo rack and select the transaction tab. Of course if you already know all this then disregard.

Best,

-Hugh

On Aug 5, 2013 11:24 PM, "Evan Spacht" <evan....@gmail.com> wrote:
topic drift alert:

I'm in the market for a rear pannier rack , if anyone is trying to sel one!
I have a used R-14 top rack that I am looking ot sell or trade.
Normally it's best to just post a new topic but I don't care to ship stuff if I don't have to .

kindly,
Evan

Tom Virgil

Aug 7, 2013, 12:42:54 AM8/7/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rivendell Hugh,

I have a lot going on the 23th due to work, but I am committed to getting there and camping with you folks.  I want to see all of you you and see your bikes.  Whether I ride from Del Mar or do some combination of contingencies (train + bike) I will get there.  I've figured out several Amtrak options.  Even if it's after dark.  Do you still have some space for me, a Samuel Hillborne, and modest tent space?  I do regret that I cannot commit to getting up to starting from Irvine for the full S24O from the transit station or Doug's in the timeframe (have lighting, and can deal with dark if I do it later).

I may opt with Doug and either bring take out or ride out for comeda.  I don't want to take all the cook gear.  OTOH, once I've got there, I have a largish Sackville, saddle bag and can do carrier service back into civilization for supplies and any liquid refreshment that might be required to ensure restful sleep.

I might opt to ride back South with any San Diegans or those who would like to extend their ride and visit our county.   Let me know.  I ride slow.  un-racer.

Do you have a reservation and how do I specify the campsite when I get there?.  What did this cost you to reserve?  May I contribute?

I am a short timer in this group, but I have seen such passion about these bikes and the people here that I feel compelled to meet all of you that turn out.

Heck yes, I am bringing camera and iPhone (gotta prove that it happened to wife).  Perhaps we should create a "proof that it happened" clump on flickr and post so other folks can enjoy.

Thank you,

Tom

hsmitham

Aug 9, 2013, 12:10:03 AM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gentlemen,

Working on my Amtrak return trip. I figure we'll ride the single track in the mid morning and figure on a couple of hours then pack up and head North to Irvine to catch the train back to Burbank. I have two choices 1:40 pm or 5:49 pm those that are heading North any thoughts?

Also spoke with Curtis and were meeting in Irvine around 11 am just thought I'd mention it.

Doug, can you once again remind me again the bicycle policy on the Pacific Surf liner. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

Curtis McKenzie

Aug 9, 2013, 12:25:16 AM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just made my reservation for a 11 am arrival in Irvine on Friday the 23rd. What a great way to end the summer!

Peace,

Curtis

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2013, 2:30:53 AM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Glad you're going to join us however you need to make it up. In regards to the camp site: I think we'll be okay with bikes and small tents so you're welcome to join us if we go over 8 person's we'll just be courtous and sauve. Here is the camp info:

SAN ONOFRE SB
SM117
STANDARD
San Mateo Sites 101-140
California
Southern Division
Fri Aug 23 2013
Sat Aug 24 2013
1
HUGH SMITHAM
8
Tent(1)
3
2:00 PM
12:00 PM
Thanks for asking  what I paid. I paid $43.00,  $35.00 for the site + $ 8.00 for the service fee. If you feel like contributing great if not I'm not going to make a big deal just glad folks are into this S240 thingy.
I've decided to head North on Saturday and will catch the 5:45 pm train home so have lots of time to lolly gag. Really looking forward to riding and camping with you all.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2013, 3:34:18 AM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Made and confirmed my Amtrak ticket arriving in Irvine 10:53 am.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

dougP

Aug 9, 2013, 6:08:15 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"..can you once again remind me again the bicycle policy on the Pacific Surf liner?"

When you book your ticket you also need to "add a bike".  There's no charge but it reserves space on the train for your wheels.  Amtrak's policy on the Surfliner is 6 bikes total per train BUT since it's new enforcement has not been stringent.  I've used them 2X since it started & had a bike reservation both times.

A random twist that may occur is type if equipment.  If the train is made up of the newer, double deck passenger cars, look for a blue bicycle logo on a car toward one end or the other.  You can just wheel your bike on that without removing panniers.  Melanie & I happened to have this set-up on all 3 trains we used on our tour.

BUT if the train is the older, single deck cars, they have steep steps up into the car.  If that's the case, you need to corral the conductor (he'll actually be looking for you if you have a reservation) and LIFT your bike up to the floor level of the baggage car, about shoulder height.  I can't do this with any amount of panniers.  Same drill getting off.  The conductor has to go into the car and hand your bike down to you on the platform.  This was what I encountered on both trains I used a couple of weeks ago, and it was in Ventura that I found out about it.

dougP

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2013, 7:05:37 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Doug, I did make the bicycle reservation. I should have been more specific with my question.  I was concerned with the Pacific Surf Liner and bicycle transport boxed or not. Thankfully you have covered it. Thanks,

-Hugh

Tom Virgil

Aug 9, 2013, 10:32:22 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hugh and So Cal Rivers,

I found this on the Pacific Surfliner schedule PDF I downloaded...

Bicycles: Most Pacific Surfliner trains have racks for six or seven bicycles located in the “cab car”. Starting June 1, 2013 these slots will be available by reservation only. Passengers must properly secure bicycles in racks. For some departures and on Thruway buses, reservations will not be available and only a limited number of bicycles can be carried. When space is available, unboxed bicycles may be put in the bin under connecting Thruway buses. Amtrak disclaims liability for loss or damage. Passengers connecting to Trains 2, 4, and 14 will be required to check a bike in a bicycle box available for a $10.00 fee.

The operative word there is Most.  I don't know if their reservation system prevents overbooking the "six or seven bicycles" or not.  Rephrasing Doug, the Hi-Level Surfliner consists are the one's with a "cab car" that has slots for our bicycles.  The single level consists have the baggage car in the consist.  I, too, would be challenged to lift a fully loaded Riv bicycle to the level of the baggage car.  My contingency is going to be to pull the large Sackville saddle bag and Barsack from the bike and carry them on.

BTW, the Hi-Level (term from the Santa Fe Railroad) are not necessarily new.  Some of them are conversions Santa Fe El Capitan cars that date from June 1956.  I rode the El Capitan between LA and Chicago a number of times and enjoyed the experience.

Samuel Hillborne bike recon mission for tomorrow is going to be to ride down to the Solana Beach transit station, find a time between Coasters and Amtraks (not busy), and chat up one of the station agents as to the notion that certain train numbers consistently run a specific type consist.

Best regards,

Tom

Mike Schiller

Aug 9, 2013, 10:57:14 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I'll need to let my beard grow in order to ride with you guys!   So with a bunch of 1100 am arrivals... what's your agenda for the afternoon before heading down? I could certainly be on the Surfliner that arrives at 1100 am.  Is there some nice lunch spot with hand crafted ales nearby?

 ~mike

Hugh Smitham

Aug 9, 2013, 11:44:35 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Mike,

I like the way you think. Cause I was thinking the same. Yet since I don't know Squat about Irvine I do a search of places and sure Doug can recommend something good.

Best,

-Hugh

On Aug 9, 2013 7:57 PM, "Mike Schiller" <mikey...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
Looks like I'll need to let my beard grow in order to ride with you guys!   So with a bunch of 1100 am arrivals... what's your agenda for the afternoon before heading down? I could certainly be on the Surfliner that arrives at 1100 am.  Is there some nice lunch spot with hand crafted ales nearby?

 ~mike

dougP

Aug 10, 2013, 12:41:55 AM8/10/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
11 AM is a bit early for lunch but an excellent time start a ride.  An interesting half-way point is:

http://www.capistranodepot.com/

which has patio seating, convenient for keeping an eye on the bike.  Sarducci's has been there forever & does a nice job.  If we leave the Irvine Amtrak we'd be there in roughly 1.5-2 hours.   A leisurely lunch & we'd be at San Mateo mid-late afternoon.

We need a final head count & ETAs from others so we can finalize the plan.  I like the 11:00 AM at Irvine Amtrak but can be flexible on that if Jim, David, et al need something later.  OTH, we don't all have to travel every mile together.  "Same highway, buddy" system works too.  Everyone who intends to go should speak up with their plans / constraints / desires / etc.

Jim & David:  let me know if you need help with timing & routing.  Absolute worst case is park in Tustin, hop on Metrolink to San Clemente & meet us at camp.  And that's pretty easy.

dougP

Tom Virgil

Aug 10, 2013, 11:16:49 AM8/10/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Please be careful out there.

I know this is sensitive as a beloved member of the group was lost shortly before my joining.

This unfortunate incident occurred on the route that would be taken by a San Diegan riding to or from the upcoming S24O at San Mateo.  It is in an area of Camp Pendelton (Stuart Mesa Road) that I consider quite safe.  A reminder to keep your awareness up at all times.

Godspeed to the cyclist and prayers for his surviving spouse and associates.

cyclotourist

Aug 10, 2013, 3:36:51 PM8/10/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If we're going to do an 11:00 meet up, I might just have to take the
day off work!
That would be awful...
>> <mikey...@rocketmail.com<javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like I'll need to let my beard grow in order to ride with you guys!
>>>
>>> So with a bunch of 1100 am arrivals... what's your agenda for the
>>> afternoon before heading down? I could certainly be on the Surfliner that
>>>
>>> arrives at 1100 am. Is there some nice lunch spot with hand crafted ales
>>>
>>> nearby?
>>>
>>> ~mike
>>>

>>> --
>>> .
>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch.

dougP

Aug 10, 2013, 4:40:55 PM8/10/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tough duty, David, but I think you're up to it.  You & Hugh can do a "dueling cameras" thing.

dougP

Curtis McKenzie

Aug 9, 2013, 12:59:01 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I plan on riding back to San Diego on Saturday after our shenanigans.  Would be great to ride with others.

Curtis McKenzie

Aug 9, 2013, 11:52:34 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There is the Anthill pub on/near the UCI campus. Sounds like they have a good selection of liquid carbohydrates. May be full of college kids. It is north of the train station eight or nine miles.

Curtis McKenzie

Aug 9, 2013, 11:40:16 PM8/9/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mike, you said the magic words "hand crafted ales". I will be on the 11 train into Irvine. Time for some research into Irvine brews.

On Friday, August 9, 2013, Mike Schiller wrote:
Looks like I'll need to let my beard grow in order to ride with you guys!   So with a bunch of 1100 am arrivals... what's your agenda for the afternoon before heading down? I could certainly be on the Surfliner that arrives at 1100 am.  Is there some nice lunch spot with hand crafted ales nearby?

 ~mike

cyclotourist

Aug 11, 2013, 12:18:43 AM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Now I'm really going to have to take the 23rd off!

Good thing it's all down hill to San Clemente from Irvine!

You know, as we're getting there kind of early, we can do a
second-lunch/lupper sortofathing at Pizza Port. I've heard they have
these "hand crafted ales" of which you speak.

We may even end up at Goody's Tavern depending on how things go!

On 8/9/13, Curtis McKenzie <cmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike, you said the magic words "hand crafted ales". I will be on the 11
> train into Irvine. Time for some research into Irvine brews.
>
> On Friday, August 9, 2013, Mike Schiller wrote:
>
>> Looks like I'll need to let my beard grow in order to ride with you guys!
>> So with a bunch of 1100 am arrivals... what's your agenda for the
>> afternoon before heading down? I could certainly be on the Surfliner that
>> arrives at 1100 am. Is there some nice lunch spot with hand crafted ales
>> nearby?
>>
>> ~mike
>>

>> --
>> .

Esteban

Aug 11, 2013, 1:45:34 AM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Can someone summarize the details, as I'm having a hard time finding essential nuggets of information. I may be able to meet folks in San Clemente?

cyclotourist

Aug 11, 2013, 1:58:54 AM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Night of 23rd in San Mateo State Park. http://goo.gl/maps/6fRK9 The
rest is just details...

Northern crew meeting at or about 11:00 in Irvine to ride down. I
haven't been fully paying attention to what the southern contingent is
doing.

You should plan on being there with that bottle of whiskey!

James Warren

Aug 11, 2013, 2:03:06 AM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

And maybe the ride will be flat enough for a Quickbeam! (Orange)

James Warren

- 700x55

cyclotourist

Aug 11, 2013, 2:57:28 AM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And I thought you had a green one... :-)

hsmitham

Aug 11, 2013, 12:58:21 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Thanks for that awesome picture! And the information. I'm all set with the train and really excited about not driving a car to ride my bicycle.

Best,

~Hugh

dougP

Aug 11, 2013, 1:14:22 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Esteban:

Be great to have you on this one.  Assuming an 11 AM meetup in Irvine, with the usual bike ogling, gear ogling, etc., our ETA in San Clemente would in the 2-3 PM range if we ride straight thru.  We should plan on that knowing that we have San Diegans headed up to meet us.  David's suggestion of Pizza Port is as good as any.  IIRC, the beer is wonderful & the food is OK.  "Lupper" is new to me but sounds about right.  From there to the campground can't be more than a few miles.

If you want to hit the campground first, it's space 117.  When you come up the old highway, you'll hit Christianitos at the end of the bike path.  Head inland to San Mateo, about 1 mile.

David has an off-road adventure for Sunday AM but he says knobbies are not required.

dougP

James Warren

Aug 11, 2013, 1:24:19 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Offroad adventure Sunday or Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone

dougP

Aug 11, 2013, 1:29:51 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
SATURDAY!  Sorry 'bout that!  This is a Friday / Saturday gig.

dougP

cyclotourist

Aug 11, 2013, 1:32:30 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
We're getting there early enough... can do both!

We could do part of this route:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/socal_rivendell_bicycle_appreciation_society/discuss/72157627749072438/

Maybe even the whole loop if everyone is willing and able (beer +
pizza beforehand probably won't help).

Ride, eat, ride and then eat? Works for me!

Tom Virgil

Aug 11, 2013, 1:43:47 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just received my eTicket from Amtrak.  I should be rolling into San Mateo at about 5 PM on the 23rd.

My recon to the Amtrak station on Sam Hilborne had ambiguous results.  In talking to the station agent, trains that may be single or bi-level, it depends on what equipment they have.  Not a very satisfying answer.  Oh, well.  We'll deal with it.

Take care,

Mike Schiller

Aug 11, 2013, 4:32:09 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
on Friday....maybe ride a little, stop for lunch, ride the rest of the way there, ride around a bit, eat and then camp?

and with camping at the beach...not sure I'll bring a tent. May just cowboy camp.

~mike

Tom Virgil

Aug 11, 2013, 4:36:10 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have not had a lot of experience with the large Sackville, so I have taken it out for a shakedown.

dougP

Aug 11, 2013, 5:56:24 PM8/11/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.  Hope we think about riding again when we're tucking into sandwiches & cerveza.  OTH, the trail will still be there on Saturday.  Either way, we can't go wrong.

dougP

Frank Quan

Aug 12, 2013, 11:32:55 AM8/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is interested in riding up from North County on Friday, let me know.  I can't spend the night so it has to be early enough for me to get home before dark.

Thanks.

Frank

cyclotourist

Aug 12, 2013, 8:10:15 PM8/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh, do you have an updated count? Some of my locals are interested
but I don't know how much dirt is left to sleep on.

Hugh Smitham

Aug 12, 2013, 8:57:33 PM8/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David, Here is my count.

1.Me
2.Doug
3.Evan
4.You
5.Curtis
6.Mike
7.Tom
8.Jim ?
9.Estaban?
10Mitch?

So I have a confirmed 8 counting Jim in as I think he was in but might drive down later. I haven't heard whether Estaban was a confirmed participant also I haven't heard back from Mitch as he lives the furthest SLO and said he wasn't setup for camping.

Also, Doug said he had three friends that were interested but was holding off to see how many confirmed we ended up with. The site capacity is for 8 but since we won't have any auto's we can probably get away with now I'm guessing here 12 that's an additional 4. As a bail out plan I suppose the worst case scenario would be to take a motel in SC? I just checked there are 10 sites currently available perhaps you could book one then were good for 16 campers. It will cost $43 for the night. Go to http://www.reserveamerica.com Then Your friends and Doug's are covered.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

James Warren

Aug 12, 2013, 9:48:53 PM8/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Hugh,
Thank you so much for organizing this. The following is the source of my ambiguity, quoted from my school district's start-up meeting calendar:

"Friday, August 23, we will be meeting at Peninsula High School for our 9-12 District Professional Development Day starting at 8:00AM. Around 3PM, PV and Pen staff will be having a kick-off mixer (more info to come)."

What this means is that I have no idea when I can join you all for the ride. Even if I don't go to the mixer, if I'm not free until 3, I'm screwed with So. Cal Friday traffic. I figure I'll be joining the ride Saturday morning. So I will not insist on dibs on camping room.

-Jim

dougP

Aug 12, 2013, 10:00:13 PM8/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mitch has a prior commitment.  I'll pass on inviting my buds as it looks like we're close to capacity.  For anyone planning on joining us on Saturday AM, such as Jim, there is a free public parking lot adjacent to Carl's Jr.  Park there & ride inland on Christianitos to San Mateo.

dougP

Hugh Smitham

Aug 12, 2013, 10:26:59 PM8/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Then my count David is 7 confirmed for Friday ride & camping so invite your friends unless it like 20.

Best,

Hugh
Sunland, Ca

cyclotourist

Aug 12, 2013, 11:21:33 PM8/12/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's just two, so I'll let them know. They're both Riv-Ride alums, so
should be grand-fathered in!
>>> http://www.reserveamerica.**com <http://www.reserveamerica.com/> Then
>>> Your friends and Doug's are covered.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>

>>> Hugh
>>> Sunland, Ca

Tom Virgil

Aug 17, 2013, 12:37:40 AM8/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dear SoCal Rivsters,

Been monitoring things.   I live about the same distance from the coast as San Mateo is from San Onofre.  Southern Orange County and Northern San Diego have many micro climates, so I cannot say what I see is predictive of what we will see on the 23rd.

 Up until today, the fog has been rolling in and we have overcast from about 4:00 PM.  Oddly, it recedes between 6:30 for about an hour and then rolls back in.

Tonight, we had one of those "Diamond Girl" kind of evenings where the sun shown on the beach until setting.  Samuel Hillborne and I were down at the Torrey Pines parking lot to see it  (testing camping gear).

I am hoping we have this kind of night for the 23rd.  No matter what, we are going to have a good time.

Take care,

Tom

Deacon Patrick

Aug 17, 2013, 1:16:32 AM8/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Hugh Smitham

Aug 17, 2013, 1:23:33 AM8/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Tom,

I hope as well. For the past month we've enjoyed below normal temperatures for this time of year. Today the heat came back with a vengeance so yeah what you described would fit the bill.

-Hugh

dougP

Aug 17, 2013, 8:52:14 PM8/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
After seeing Manny's photos & the video of their trip into the fog at Half Moon Bay, we will have nothing to grumble about regarding weather.  We're finally getting a taste of summer.  Should be excellent weather.

dougP

Curtis McKenzie

Aug 17, 2013, 8:29:28 PM8/17/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I may missed the posting about food. Are we planning to cook food in camp?  Or will we support the local economy and eat out?  Just need to know what to bring. Thanks.

Looking forward to next Friday and Saturday.

Peace

Tom Virgil

Aug 18, 2013, 12:16:09 AM8/18/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Another "Diamond Girl" morning (fog burned off on beach by 8:00 AM) and evening (still good).  Non bike enthusiast and non Rivendell fan wife rode with me to Edamame on Carmel Valley Road for a sunset Japanese dinner.  Sweet times.

hsmitham

Aug 18, 2013, 11:17:03 PM8/18/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Curtis,

I was planning on bringing the food thing up good timing...What's the consensus? Do we make camp then ride into SC for dinner then make our own Breakfast before the single track? Or do we want to do a group dinner? Looking forward to next weekend.

~Hugh
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

dougP

Aug 18, 2013, 11:26:35 PM8/18/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hugh:

Knowing your camp cooking skills (and depending on them!)  I'll vote for dinner in camp.  I'm hopeless in the kitchen but an eager volunteer for simple tasks, given adult supervision (caveat:  my wife restricts my participation to lighting the grill and cleaning up; she does not entrust me with sharp objects).  However, I'm more than willing to contribute some adult beverages to the festivities.

On the AM side, I gotta make coffee before getting on the bike anyway, & am happy with PB on bagels & fruit.  Suggest a camp breakfast, ride David's No Tools route, then possible second breakfast / brunch on the way home.

Just my ideas.  Look forward to hearing what others think.

dougP

cyclotourist

Aug 18, 2013, 11:48:58 PM8/18/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
We're getting in pretty early Fri, so might be worth it to ride back
into town for group dinner when everyone arrives?

Easy camp breakfast, ride, then second breakfast at the pier
restaurant would be my vote. Sorta' iconic, and pretty reasonable in
price & quality for that sort of a place.

Tom Virgil

Aug 19, 2013, 1:07:13 AM8/19/13
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ahem.  Adult beverages.  Thinking that a beer run (or wine or what have you) back into town after unloading and setting up camping gear might be the ticket.  Can't see myself toting 12 pack (need enough to share) and ice on top of my teetering load.  Don't like shopping and leaving bike out side locked or unlocked, so would prefer a partner on such a mission.

It the prevailing desire is for a Riv dinner in town or group campout, I am good with either.  Just need to know ahead so I don't pack too much.  Take out for dinner (bring to camp on adult beverage foray) and collaborative breakfast is also an option.  I am pretty easy to please, just need to know what we are doing.

Best regards,
It is loading more messages.