C&O in October

1 003 visningar

Pondero

oläst,
15 juni 2015 08:37:342015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Because I've had such great experiences meeting my internet buddies during my travels, because I've read that some of you have an interest riding (or re-riding) the C&O, and because carving time out of a busy life for lollygagging takes forethought, I want to announce my plan to ride the C&O during October 6-9 of this year.  I'd love to have you guys join us for a brief meet-up, coffee brew-up, or a complete ride along.

The main driver for my travel to the DC area is a family visit.  That means I have a fairly constrained itinerary.  My good friend Steve Butcher (GravelDoc) and my son-in-law will be riding with me, and we'll be comfortably spreading out the 185 miles over four days.  We plan to camp Tuesday and Thursday nights, but family will meet us in Sharpsburg for some tourist time and a B&B stay on Wednesday night.  We'll be riding out of Silver Spring, and family will shuttle us back from Cumberland on Friday evening.

If this is of interest to any of you, let me know here or by private message and I'll provide more details.  I'm hoping this will be another opportunity to meet some of my friends face-to-face and share some time awheel.  In the meantime, I'll be trying to determine which Riv to bring along...

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Tony DeFilippo

oläst,
15 juni 2015 09:23:062015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've got this on the calendar!  It's a bit far out but my thought is to take the 6-7th off... meet you on the trail and camp the Tues night, Wednesday perhaps ride with you a little ways before heading for home.  An 'O24O'.  Not sure if I'll be solo or my wife might join us and we'll take the tandem.

Let me know if you need any bike wrenching services while you're in town or if you want to slip a DC monuments ride into your busy schedule!

Tony

Rusty Click

oläst,
15 juni 2015 10:40:312015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'll pencil this in on the calendar too!  If possible, I'd like to meet you halfway, and ride to Cumberland.  I'll let you know for sure, offline, when I can.

RustyC

Pondero

oläst,
15 juni 2015 13:51:432015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!  Two potential candidates already.  If this pans out, it will make for a very rewarding outing.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

WETH

oläst,
15 juni 2015 14:11:222015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Chris,
I would hope to join you on the 6th as you ride out of Silver Spring.  Not sure if I can take two days off or not.  Looking forward to it!
All the best,
Erl

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 8:37:34 AM UTC-4, Pondero wrote:

Minh

oläst,
15 juni 2015 16:05:162015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't think i can make this, but out of curiosity, where are you planning to pick up the C&O?  Are you going to ride west across Bethesda and pick it up around Cabin John, or are you going north right away and picking up the C&O farther north?

Picking it up in CJ you're already skipping some of the more congested parts, but you still get to pass through Great Falls.

Pondero

oläst,
15 juni 2015 21:06:572015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Erl, fantastic, it would be an honor having a grand depart posse.

Minh, the current plan (subject to refinement) is to travel southwest and connect up with the C&O around mile 5/6.  But I'm open to suggestions on this.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

WETH

oläst,
15 juni 2015 21:36:382015-06-15
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Depending on how much time you'll have in DC before your start, the riding along the Potomac River in Georgetown around toward the Kennedy Center is beautiful. Depending on your first day mileage, I might suggest the Capital Crescent trail out of Silver Spring all the way to Georgetown. In Georgetown, turn and get on the C&O canal at its beginning. This would add 10-12 miles to your first day total with some backtracking (the capital crescent and C&O parallel each other for about 5 miles). If you are in DC over the weekend there is a great 30 mile loop that you can ride from Silver Spring into DC through Georgetown up the Capital Crescent Trail through Bethesda and back to Silver Spring.

Steve Palincsar

oläst,
15 juni 2015 21:45:252015-06-15
On 06/15/2015 09:36 PM, WETH wrote:
> Depending on how much time you'll have in DC before your start, the riding along the Potomac River in Georgetown around toward the Kennedy Center is beautiful. Depending on your first day mileage, I might suggest the Capital Crescent trail out of Silver Spring all the way to Georgetown. In Georgetown, turn and get on the C&O canal at its beginning.

Or you could just switch from the CCT to the Towpath at Fletchers
Boathouse, rather than going all the way down to Water St

Jeff Lesperance

oläst,
16 juni 2015 07:44:472015-06-16
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've marked the dates on my calendar. I live in Silver Spring and would be happy to at least do an overnight, possibly further depending on family schedule and work workload around that time.

I do fairly regular long day out-n-back rides on the C&O via downtown Silver Spring -> Georgetown Branch trail -> Capital Crescent trail -> C&O at Fletcher's boat house. That does involve backtracking a bit, but keeps me off of some tricky roads at other area entrance points.

-Jeff
Silver Spring, MD

Minh

oläst,
16 juni 2015 11:49:152015-06-16
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jeff's plan is pretty sound with not that much back-tracking.  here's the page for the camping info on the C&O, http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm

No water still at Swain's Lock at mile 16 (though i think you can get water at the concession stand at Great Falls), so bring more water then you think you need.  Technically you're not supposed by more than 2 tents per site, but i've never been kicked off the few times i've camped along the trail (including the one time 30 boy scouts showed up....).

For anyone planning to drive and park, you have to print out a pass ahead of time and place it in your car if you want to leave it overnight now.

Pondero

oläst,
16 juni 2015 22:48:132015-06-16
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great news, Jeff, I hope you can make it...and thanks for the trail connection routing tip!

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Kellie

oläst,
20 juni 2015 12:25:012015-06-20
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris, I actually might be able to do this! But I have more logistical questions. How are you getting your bike there? If you're shipping it, where to? By who? Where is Silver Springs; that's where you're starting from right? Thanks in advance.

Pondero

oläst,
20 juni 2015 15:21:182015-06-20
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great news, Kellie, I hope it works out!

As of now, my plan is to take the bike with me on the airplane. But I've never done that before and am trying to figure out the logistics. I'm hoping that will be easier than shipping, but not sure yet.

Silver Spring, MD is located at the northern limits of Washington, D.C. My daughter (and family) lives there, and that will be home base while I'm in the area. My son-in-law and I plan to roll away from their apartment, and toward the C&O on the morning of the first day.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Kellie

oläst,
21 juni 2015 11:06:372015-06-21
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've heard horrible stories of flying with your bike as far as fees. Adventure Cycling Assoc. list this company. I plugged in the numbers and it's about $140 round trip ship, SF>DC. Here's the link, Bike Flights: https://www.bikeflights.com/?siteid=AC_WH_300x250 I'm thinking of shipping to a bike store right near the trail.

Anyone else want to chip in here with getting your bike cross country?

Steven Sweedler

oläst,
21 juni 2015 13:11:032015-06-21
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Southwest Air charges $75.    as one your two pieces of luggage. Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Pondero

oläst,
8 sep. 2015 09:28:572015-09-08
till RBW Owners Bunch
A thread refresh to remind DC area folks that my trip is still a "go" and there have been no changes in the dates (October 6-9).  A month from now, my son-in-law, Steve Butcher, and I will be touring through the C&O trail.

We'd love to met and ride with some of you locals, if possible.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

KC

oläst,
8 sep. 2015 10:04:162015-09-08
till RBW Owners Bunch
Just read thru the thread and didn't see a posting re which bike you decided to take. I'm interested in your decision.
Also interested in hearing about the ride as it sure looks like fun and something we might want to plan

Pondero

oläst,
8 sep. 2015 14:12:372015-09-08
till RBW Owners Bunch
KC, I haven't decided which bike to take with me.  Any one would work great, and it might come down to how I feel when it is time to put something in a box.

The trip will be special because it promises to blend family, friends, and riding.  It sounds like I'll be able to meet some of my east US friends for the very first time.  I'm sure I'll follow-up with some kind of a report.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Tony DeFilippo

oläst,
8 sep. 2015 15:13:092015-09-08
till RBW Owners Bunch

I'm still planning to meet you out on the 6th, and hopefully join you for the overnight as well then head back to DC via the tow path on the 7th.  Can't wait!

Hmmm, Saluki or Bombadil!?!

Jeff Lesperance

oläst,
8 sep. 2015 16:05:042015-09-08
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I still have it on my calendar, and was thinking I'd be able to do the same as Tony, s24o. As I've already toured on my HIllborne, I think my new-to-me Hilsen will have to get the nod for the trip.

--

Pondero

oläst,
9 sep. 2015 22:47:122015-09-09
till RBW Owners Bunch
Great, Jeff, thanks.

Once I get my guys coordinated, I post a few more details. Then maybe take the discussion offline to include only actual participants.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Minh

oläst,
10 sep. 2015 10:11:262015-09-10
till RBW Owners Bunch
Chris,

If you don't mind, please come back to the thread with your final plans.  I'm unlikely to make it, but there's an outside chance i could meet up for a short part of this.

FYI, this is unlikely to affect you but the Army Ten Miler is the following weekend (the 11th).  You're ahead of this and going north, but having a 30,000+ road race sometimes causes unexpected problems.

Pondero

oläst,
10 sep. 2015 12:58:542015-09-10
till RBW Owners Bunch
Minh, I'll absolutely be back in touch with more details...and thanks for the tip!

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Larry Charlton

oläst,
10 sep. 2015 19:51:312015-09-10
till RBW Owners Bunch
Were I not already expected to be in Cancun, Mexico that week I'd definitely be in.  My son lives in Alexandria, Va (I am in Pittsburgh) and I've always wanted to do  GAP to C&O to Aaron Charlton.  Someone please help arrange a ride next year.  Maybe by then I can take Amtrack home.

Pondero

oläst,
22 sep. 2015 22:40:182015-09-22
till RBW Owners Bunch
Okay locals, I've coordinated with my family, factored in our constraints, and even exchanged a couple of emails with Tony DeFilippo to get some tips.  Here is our plan for the C&O tour "rolling start" for any who wish to simply say "hi", ride with us a while, our ride with us all the way to Cumberland.

Our start date is Tuesday, October 6.

Our train that includes friend (Steve Butcher), son-in-law (Carey Jones), and me will depart out of Silver Spring, MD.  We'll make two stops to meet up with folks.  The first stop will be in Bethesda.  We will meet up at 0830 at Bethesda Bagels (http://www.bethesdabagels.com/) and plan to roll out by 0915.  That allows us to reach our next stop at Fletchers Boathouse (C&O rendezvous) by 0945ish.  From there we'll head north on the C&O for a few days.  For any who might be joining us for part of the way, we plan to lunch in Leesburg that Tuesday, and camp the first night at the Indian Flats hiker/biker site at approx. mile 42.

I believe Tony is planning to join us for the first day and overnight.  I recall that Rusty, Erl, Jeff, Kellie, and Minh have all expressed interest in some level of participation.  I hope to meet several of you on this trip...and thanks again to everyone who offered planning help!

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Tony DeFilippo

oläst,
23 sep. 2015 00:33:332015-09-23
till RBW Owners Bunch
See you then!  My plan is to ride up to Bethesda from Alexandria and be at the bagel place at 0830..  if anyone is interested in meeting up on that connector bit hit me up off-list and we can figure out a rendezvous.  I'll be riding Tues, camping and then returning to Alexandria on Weds.

I'm excited to meet Chris and hopefully some other lister's from the DC area I haven't met so far.  This'll be my first bike camping experience so I'm glad to be doing it with such a good crew!

Thanks Chris for setting this up!

Jeff Lesperance

oläst,
23 sep. 2015 10:26:302015-09-23
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'll plan to meetup in Bethesda - I'll be rolling in from Silver Spring as well, so possibly see you on the way to Bethesda. Unless something else comes up, I'm planning on doing this as an s24o.

Philip Kim

oläst,
23 sep. 2015 11:04:182015-09-23
till RBW Owners Bunch
This sounds like a great trip! I wish I could join, but I will be in Wyoming until the 13th.

Dale Click

oläst,
24 sep. 2015 16:49:002015-09-24
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m waiting for my daughter-in-law to deliver first grandchild!  Should be soon, and I will contact off list with my plans to join when I have a moment to plan…wheeee

Rusty

Allingham II, Thomas J

oläst,
24 sep. 2015 16:56:462015-09-24
till RBW Owners Bunch

OK, clear to join!

Here's my plan, Chris.  I'll take the train down to DC Monday night and have dinner with #3 son.  I'll meet up with you guys at Fletchers Boathouse (I'll plan to get there before 9 on Tuesday the 6th, to minimize the risk of missing the "train").    I'll camp with the crew at Indian Flats on Tuesday night.  My hope is to leave my tent, etc. at the campsite on Wednesday morning, ride with you as far as Harper's Ferry, then peel off and spend a few hours poking around the historical sites there before returning to Indian Flats Wednesday night.  Up early Thursday, return to DC, and train back to Wilmington.

Anybody have an assessment of risk of leaving tent, bag and pad at the campsite for the day?

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

Pondero

oläst,
24 sep. 2015 22:15:132015-09-24
till RBW Owners Bunch
Rusty, congrats on the first grandchild! I spite of what you people might think, my biggest motivation for traveling to DC is my first grandchild born in February. All my best to your family, and I hope to meet you somehow.

Pudge, great news! We should have a nice little band of lugged steel geeks assembled.

Since I'm such a solo rider, I'll not know how to behave. I am awkwardly excited.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Minh

oläst,
25 sep. 2015 12:21:272015-09-25
till RBW Owners Bunch
Ah man, Pudge is coming out for this?  I don't think work will let me make this mid-week trip.  But sounds like fun!

Tom, there's not a ton of traffic during the week at the campsites, but i'm not sure i would leave all your stuff there un-secure.  You could hide it in the woods?

John G

oläst,
28 sep. 2015 16:04:402015-09-28
till RBW Owners Bunch
I'll try to come by Indian Flats on my Quickbeam after work Tuesday to say hello. No camping though.

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 10:40:18 PM UTC-4, Pondero wrote:

Pondero

oläst,
28 sep. 2015 21:43:312015-09-28
till RBW Owners Bunch
Great, John, thanks! It sounds like we'll have a site full.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Pondero

oläst,
2 okt. 2015 19:53:172015-10-02
till RBW Owners Bunch
DC area friends, the plan provided above is still a "go".  Briefly...

-Tuesday, October 6

-Bethesda Bagels 8:30 to 9:15

-Fletchers Boathouse 9:45ish to 10ish

-Lunch likely in Leesburg (not sure when)

-Camp at Indian Flats H/B site

The long range weather forecast seems to suggest that the rainy weekend will improve...just in time.  We'll see you there.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Dale Click

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 10:04:432015-10-05
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hello Chris,

I am unable to join for the start of your C&O ride due to many schedule conflicts and the arrival of granddaughter number 1!

I could make it down for your thursday night overnight and ride into Cumberland, or just ride into you on friday and turn back with you into Cumberland.

If you know where you are overnighting thursday, let me know anytime this week, and I’ll try to get there.  If not, I plan on riding out of Cumberland friday towards you.

Cheers,
Rusty Click

Allingham II, Thomas J

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 10:05:572015-10-05
till RBW Owners Bunch

Still planning to see you at Fletchers Boathouse around 9:45.

DC area friends, the plan provided above is still a "go".  Briefly...

Steve Cole

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 10:13:472015-10-05
till RBW Owners Bunch
I also hope to come by at Fletcher's at 9:45 am.  I would be great to see a Rivbike flotilla.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 10:05:57 AM UTC-4, Pudge wrote:

Still planning to see you at Fletchers Boathouse around 9:45.

DC area friends, the plan provided above is still a "go".  Briefly...

-Tuesday, October 6

-Bethesda Bagels 8:30 to 9:15

-Fletchers Boathouse 9:45ish to 10ish

-Lunch likely in Leesburg (not sure when)

-Camp at Indian Flats H/B site

The long range weather forecast seems to suggest that the rainy weekend will improve...just in time.  We'll see you there.

Chris Johnson

Sanger, Texas

Tony DeFilippo

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 10:23:112015-10-05
till RBW Owners Bunch
I'll be joining you in Bethesda tomorrow morning, and planning to camp Tues night then return to DC Weds.  Can't wait to meet you all and see the Riv's!  Looks like the weather has cleared just in time for your trip.

Tony

Jeff Lesperance

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 10:44:462015-10-05
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Unless some crazy life things happen, I'll see you in Bethesda in the morning, I expect with my Hilsen. Weather is definitely looking to be good until Friday. As with Tony - I'm angling at S24O'ing it.

Inline image 1

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll be joining you in Bethesda tomorrow morning, and planning to camp Tues night then return to DC Weds.  Can't wait to meet you all and see the Riv's!  Looks like the weather has cleared just in time for your trip.

Tony

Pondero

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 16:23:242015-10-05
till RBW Owners Bunch
Rusty, congrats! I've been spending time with my first grandchild since Saturday. The tentative plan for Thursday night is to camp near mile 129.8.

Pudge, Steve, and Tony, we'll see you in the morning!

I guess I better go get the bike loaded up.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Pondero

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 16:25:422015-10-05
till RBW Owners Bunch
Jeff, thanks for ordering up some great weather. We'll see you tomorrow.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Tony DeFilippo

oläst,
6 okt. 2015 22:06:012015-10-06
till RBW Owners Bunch
What a splendid day. Awesome meeting Chris and so many other local and not local folks.  My participation ended in Leesburg today but the trip is still ongoing. I'm hoping the crew is settled down in front of a campfire (or more likely passed out)  off the C&O Canal right this minute.  Couple group shot's from Fletcher's Boat House along the C&O, more photo's and at least my part of the ride report coming later this week.

Tony

hsmitham

oläst,
7 okt. 2015 02:11:382015-10-07
till RBW Owners Bunch
Tony,

Great images. Can you name the folks in the picture. I know, Chris Johnson aka Pondero, Mary of Chasing Mailboxes and Tom Allingham aka Pudge, but the rest are a mystery.

Tail Winds,

~Hugh

Tony DeFilippo

oläst,
7 okt. 2015 07:13:552015-10-07
till RBW Owners Bunch

Hugh,

That is a great (and reasonable) question!  I'm terrible with recalling names but I'll do my best with apologies to anyone I screw up... I'll ID the person's bike because for some reason I do remember at least some details about each bike even if I can't now remember a name.  Which probably doesn't speak well to my priorities.  :)

Left to Right,

Chris (Pondero) - Texas dust coated light green AHH

Jeff L. (MD local) - Bright blue AHH w/ albastache

Mary (Coffeeneur, DC local) - Surly LHT

Tom A (Pudge, DE) - Black, parallel TT Bombadil w/ rolhoff

Ken P (local) - Butternut Saluki, with jingle bells!

??? - Bright blue AHH at center is this gentleman's bike but I didn't catch his name

Tony D (me) (VA local) - Green Saluki

Steve (local) - white steel road bike, didn't get a good look at this one

Chris's Son-in-Law whose name I really should remember! (MD local) - Surly Cross Check w/ a saddlesack LARGE

Steve? (Missouri) - Chris's friend with the purple fat tired Univega

Hilsen/Saluki's were very well represented! :)  There was also an impressive array of bike luggage given that five of the crew were camping at least one night.

Steve Cole

oläst,
7 okt. 2015 08:37:512015-10-07
till RBW Owners Bunch
All,

I'm the local guy.  I went to meet the group before it departed from Fletcher's Boat House yesterday.  What a great group and wish I felt I could have kept up.  The blue AHH in the center of the photo is mine, a Toyo built with Albatross bars, SKS fenders and Barlow Pass tires..  I love it.

My favorite comment of the morning was one that Mary offered:  "so much Rivness!"  True and wonderful.

I'll work on being ready to join the next group heading up or down the C&O .

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

[...]

7 okt. 2015 11:08:242015-10-07
till RBW Owners Bunch

After work yesterday I went down to Noland's Ferry and rode towards DC on my Quickbeam to find the group,  They were not at the campground yet, so I continued for a few miles until I found them.  We rode back to the camp site and I had a nice visit while everyone set up camp.  All too soon it was getting dark and I had to head home, but it was nice to meet fellow enthusiasts and share some time among them.

JohnG, Union Bridge, MD

Pondero

oläst,
7 okt. 2015 22:04:482015-10-07
till RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for posting these, Tony. We were overwhelmed by the local hospitality. Me, my son-in-law, Carey Jones, and my friend, Steve Butcher, from SW Missouri are with our wives and my grandson in Sharpsburg tonight and back on the trail tomorrow. More photos coming...

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Pondero

oläst,
7 okt. 2015 22:10:462015-10-07
till RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you, John, for coming out to meet us, and for telling us those great Gravel & Grind stories. Your enthusiasm helping make setting up camp more fun.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Mary Gersemalina

oläst,
8 okt. 2015 14:47:302015-10-08
till RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all.

I put together a short write-up with a few photos of the Pondero C&O Tour departure from Fletchers. Find it here, and thank you to Chris for inviting us all to join. It was great! http://chasingmailboxes.com/2015/10/07/from-the-page-to-in-person-pondero-rivendell-co-meetup/

Best,
Mary
Meddelandet har raderats

Allingham II, Thomas J

oläst,
9 okt. 2015 11:37:072015-10-09
till rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Back in the office (boo!) from this very fun ride, but thinking about how nice it is to meet up with folks I've only known through the miracle of the web (yay!). Thanks, Chris, for setting this up and putting out the invitations!

I'll put up a few photos soon.

Tom Allingham
Wilmington, DE