Do we want my granddad's wood lathe?

Gausie

Jun 4, 2013, 11:40:12 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

My granddad's moving out of his house and into a flat and has a few tools I've stopped him throwing away in case they could be used in the space:

I don't do much woodwork - do we need this? Shall I let him throw it away? He's even kept the manual (from 1956), bless him. And some spare belts.

Jonty Wareing

Jun 4, 2013, 11:45:49 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would suspect the answer is yes. I'd love someone to teach me to use a
wood lathe.

--jonty

> My granddad's moving out of his house and into a flat and has a few
> tools I've stopped him throwing away in case they could be used in the
> space:
>

> I don't do much woodwork - do we need this? Shall I let him throw it
> away? He's even kept the manual (from 1956), bless him. And some spare
> belts.

> Groups "London Hackspace" group.
> an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com.

wyan std

Jun 4, 2013, 11:48:01 AM6/4/13
to london-hack-space
I'd love to learn how to use this... A working lathe is also nice to have :)

oliver greenaway

Jun 4, 2013, 11:48:42 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

Then people would have no reason to use a metal lathe for wood, which would be a good thing IMO.

Russ Garrett

Jun 4, 2013, 11:49:45 AM6/4/13
to London Hack Space
At the risk of turning the space into some kind of second-hand lathe
warehouse, a wood lathe will be a good thing if it keeps wood shavings
off the decent lathes.

Russ
--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Paddy Duncan

Jun 4, 2013, 11:53:16 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Oh yes +1 from me...

Paddy

Jun 4, 2013, 11:57:18 AM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
He custom made the table its attached to (as the motor sits underneath). Would we want that as well? I wouldn't be able to commit to fitting it to our existing benches, but I imagine someone else would.

Also he used to be a dentist and offers this dentist light to us too. For some reason I imagine tomwyatt would like it...

tgreer

Jun 4, 2013, 12:02:29 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If it's fitted to the desk then I say we take the desk also..

Nigel Worsley

Jun 4, 2013, 12:06:58 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> If it's fitted to the desk then I say we take the desk also..

Me too, although it would be nice to add a guard around the drive belt - safety standards have changed a bit in the last half a
century!

Nigle

Toby Catlin

Jun 4, 2013, 12:29:54 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Damn that dentist lamp is sweet. If the space doesn't want i'd give it a good home.
My wife loves my collection of non functioning but cool looking lighting

Henry Sands

Jun 4, 2013, 1:03:39 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hell yes I want this! +8

Wood turning is a joy, though I haven't done it for ages.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jun 4, 2013, 1:22:00 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
My thoughts exactly. Plus a wood-lathe will have features a metal lathe
won't. Like a tool-rest.

As a note though, wood turning requires special chisels to do properly.
Ones with long handles and specially shaped tips.

Gausie

Jun 4, 2013, 6:20:40 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Its got an enormous collection of tools. And some (completely worn) sanding discs you can attach to the other side.

Henry Sands

Jun 4, 2013, 6:39:14 PM6/4/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Perfect perfect perfect! Do want! I can't wait to see it!

SamLR

Jun 5, 2013, 5:21:46 AM6/5/13
to Hackspace Mailing List
oh gods yes!

I've been pondering buying one of these anyway as I really want to start wood turning.

Thanks!

On 4 June 2013 23:39, Henry Sands <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Perfect perfect perfect! Do want! I can't wait to see it!

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Jun 5, 2013, 8:44:18 AM6/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful!

Thinking proactively, we'll probably need to mark the turning chisels so
people don't use them as general-purpose ones.
Message has been deleted

Benjamin Gatti

Jun 5, 2013, 4:19:46 PM6/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Seriously?

wood lathes may require nothing more than the skill of the craftsman.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TDfsl6yvYXU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tim Reynolds

Jun 5, 2013, 5:30:08 PM6/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That's it, scrap it - we're going to buy some string instead

(..?)

On 05/06/2013 21:19, Benjamin Gatti wrote:
> Seriously?
>
> http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/5626996
> <http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/5626996>
>
> wood lathes may require nothing more than the skill of the craftsman.
>
> <http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2313/3541613980_eea1363693_o.jpg>
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDfsl6yvYXU
>
> <iframe width="640" height="360"
> src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TDfsl6yvYXU?feature=player_detailpage"
> frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
>

> On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:22:00 PM UTC-4, Sci wrote:
>
> My thoughts exactly. Plus a wood-lathe will have features a metal lathe
> won't. Like a tool-rest.
>
> As a note though, wood turning requires special chisels to do properly.
> Ones with long handles and specially shaped tips.
>
> On 04/06/2013 16:49, Russ Garrett wrote:
> > At the risk of turning the space into some kind of second-hand lathe
> > warehouse, a wood lathe will be a good thing if it keeps wood
> shavings
> > off the decent lathes.
> >
> > Russ
> >
> > On 4 June 2013 16:48, wyan std <wya...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out> .

> https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
> >>>

> >> --
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
> >>

> > --
> > Russ Garrett
> > ru...@garrett.co.uk <javascript:>

tgreer

Jun 6, 2013, 4:23:26 AM6/6/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Where/when can we collect?

Thanks

Thomas

Gausie

Jun 7, 2013, 5:03:08 AM6/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll drive it over to the space asap. Its in Edgware.

tgreer

Jun 7, 2013, 6:40:18 AM6/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You sir are a legend. <3

Henry Sands

Jun 17, 2013, 10:14:25 AM6/17/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any update on this?

Gausie

Jun 18, 2013, 6:54:38 AM6/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yep - I'm going to try to get it to the space this weekend.

On Monday, 17 June 2013 15:14:25 UTC+1, Henry Sands wrote:
Any update on this?

Henry Sands

Jun 18, 2013, 7:56:47 AM6/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, let us know if you need a hand with anything

Henry Sands

Jul 11, 2013, 1:03:08 PM7/11/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any update on this?

Tom Sands

Jul 30, 2013, 7:24:59 AM7/30/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gausie,

Any update on this? Are you still attempting to get this down to the space or is this lathe no longer available?

tgreer

Aug 5, 2013, 9:21:14 AM8/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gausie

Are you having issues with transport? I can grab a zipvan and collect it if that makes your life easier. Don't mean to pester, we just don't want to miss out on this amazing opportunity.

Thanks

Thomas

James Fleming

Aug 5, 2013, 11:33:19 AM8/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Give it to some other place where the people can really use it. In the hackspace they just tell people about things that are never in good condition to be used or even worst, like with the metal lathe, there is no training available for ages. Even if someone, like me, wants to train others there is nobody to say that he / she can

Tim Reynolds

Aug 5, 2013, 11:35:07 AM8/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A waabulance is being dispatched, hold on tight. You're a brave little trooper.

The hackspace isn't for you.

wyan std

Aug 5, 2013, 11:35:40 AM8/5/13
to london-hack-space
I would love to learn to use this wood lathe.

James: I don't think you understand the way the Hackspace works, nor seem to be interested in being part of the community. I only hear passive agressive comments from you that add nothing of value. Please be excellent.

Monty

Aug 5, 2013, 11:39:16 AM8/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
While I understand you're frustrated please remember to be excellent. There is no need for this bitterness and negativity. Instead, let's focus on what can be help resolve the problems you've faced and improve the space, although perhaps best if you start a new thread. :)

Tom Sands

Aug 5, 2013, 11:40:10 AM8/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I believe the wood lathe is a significantly easier and inheriently safer machine than a metal lathe, so the required training would be substantually less. Obviously it's still dangerous (as is everything), but I don't see this piece of equipment having quite the same issue.

The main problems I could see with this would be someone cutting through their piece/breaking their piece early/not tightening it properly and sending it spinning and bouncing into their legs. Getting chips flung into their eyes due to lack of face protection. Or going too deep with a tool and having it flung back against them.

This is purely speculation though, I haven't used a serious one before so I'm not wholey in the know.

Monty

Aug 5, 2013, 11:41:03 AM8/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Whoops. Managed to miss a few vital words despite a proof-read

* ...let's focus on what can be done to help resolve the problems...

Adrian Godwin

Aug 5, 2013, 11:42:46 AM8/5/13
to london-hack-space
I only have real experience of metal lathes, but I think all the problems you mention are significantly more of a danger with wood lathes. When I start doing wood turning, I'll use full-face protection. I don't use anything more than plastic-lensed spectacles on the metal lathe.

Monty

Aug 5, 2013, 11:44:40 AM8/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You're not being the person that Mr. Rogers believed you could be.

James Fleming

Aug 6, 2013, 7:10:26 PM8/6/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You are probably right Tim. There are far too many guys who only like to go there to drink, talk nonsense and feel they are doing something important while disrupting the work of others. I've seen too many focused people not coming back as a result of this.

Russ Garrett

Aug 6, 2013, 7:19:58 PM8/6/13
to sales.worl...@gmail.com, London Hack Space
James, you're now moderated from the mailing list; we're happy to approve any constructive contributions you might want to make, but further unproductive snark will be prevented from entering the inboxes of the 2000+ subscribers of this list.

Cheers,

Russ

Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Ndlovu (aka) Dean

Aug 7, 2013, 4:03:32 AM8/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
@Russ dont you think that moderating James Fleming is a bit heavy handed give we are an open commmunity orginisation if you only accept comments from the yes men and silence critics that is not very healthy IMHO

Perhaps it would be better to look at why he is making these statments and why he is doing it on this forum,

I believe that culture comes from the top a little awarness with some process and transparency would go a long way

We could discount it but there have been a number of rage quits and people speaking out the last few months as i have said directly before we should in my view not discount this, not be defensive but look for a way to address it

Adrian Godwin

Aug 7, 2013, 4:05:50 AM8/7/13
to london-hack-space
It might be heavy-handed if he were a member. Members should participate in discussions, though if they have nothing useful to add there might be a question. But for a non-member who's only started posting with negative and unhelpful comments, it seems fairly reasonable.

Dean Forbes (PERS)

Aug 7, 2013, 4:15:06 AM8/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Apologies did not know he was not a member

But I do believe he or his post raises valid points

Dean Forbes

07906948725

wyan std

Aug 7, 2013, 4:16:17 AM8/7/13
to london-hack-space
His attitude is rather destructive, regardless of the validity of his points. Also, we're talking about moderation, not ban.

Tom Sands

Aug 7, 2013, 4:18:23 AM8/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
While they may raise valid points, they raise them in unfriendly, agressive, unhelpful and almost spiteful ways. I wouldn't want new people coming onto this list seeing these posts and thinking they're acceptable.

Dean Forbes (PERS)

Aug 7, 2013, 4:22:17 AM8/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I could list 10 people who share his view of the top of my head but the choose not to speak out due to fear of alianation

You may not like how he has said what he has said (not all of us present in the samee way) but I believe what he says is very valid

The focus in my view should be about what and how to address it .... any way this is now going off topic for a thread that started about a lathe

attack the person rather than deal with the issue is an age old denial and defence mechanisim that we should try and avoid'

address the issue not the person :-) would be my mantra

tgreer

Aug 7, 2013, 4:26:52 AM8/7/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dean

Please stop derailing topics. You will be moderated next time you do this.

Adrian Godwin

Aug 7, 2013, 4:28:00 AM8/7/13
to london-hack-space
There are three issues.

1. Dealing with unhelpful attitudes
2. Encouraging people to speak out when they have a problem.
3. Lathe training.

The first two I don't know how to deal with, though in some cases moderation seems very reasonable.

The third : Russ has several time, patiently explained why training is a problem. We need constructive, workable suggestions to sort this out, not angry and snide remarks. I don't believe anybody with a problem has even read the lathe training page. Don't they even do some basic enquiries before getting angry ?

Eugene Nadyrshin

Aug 7, 2013, 4:37:48 AM8/7/13
to london-hack-space
Thanks Russ, long over-due!
Message has been deleted

Russ Garrett

Aug 10, 2013, 6:17:40 AM8/10/13
to London Hack Space
Maria,

We accept that the situation with the 3-in-1 isn't great and we are working to make it better. We are not intentionally being unfair, what you experienced was unfortunately because of the lack of communication between people. Criticising the volunteers who are working to make it better is not going to help.

I invited anyone interested in improving the situation to a meeting last Tuesday; nobody turned up.

This thread is about Gausie's wood lathe, not about the 3-in-1, so this discussion *is* off topic. If you want to contribute constructively, please do so in the thread about 3-in-1 training:

Russ

On 9 August 2013 19:06, Maria A <mariaagon...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am not a member because I don't want to waste my time and money going to a place where the only machine I need to use it is not available. Another person was told he cannot use it because nobody wants to take the responsability of saying yes he knows enough about it, even when he said he wanted to train others so I didn't need to make the same offer just to receive the same answer, however it looks like from this list that some offerings for training are accepted or at least being seriously considered, which is very unfair and humiliating for the others who tried the same.
Ndlovu (aka) Dean was not derailing in his message, he was polite and explained perfectly what others are afraid of saying, and viewing that he is also threatened to be moderated confirms the dictatorship this place is under.

On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 16:40:12 UTC+1, Gausie wrote:

My granddad's moving out of his house and into a flat and has a few tools I've stopped him throwing away in case they could be used in the space:

I don't do much woodwork - do we need this? Shall I let him throw it away? He's even kept the manual (from 1956), bless him. And some spare belts.

Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Gausie

Aug 25, 2013, 3:14:22 PM8/25/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
RIGHT. I bet you all gave up on this but IT IS COMING TOMORROW MORNING. I'm leaving Edgware at 8am in a van I've been able to borrow and it will probably arrive at the space around 9 (or later if its harder to pack into the van than I'm expecting).

Could anyone be there to assist getting it off the van and into the space? How does the elevator work?

Sorry this took so long!

Paddy Duncan

Aug 25, 2013, 4:04:50 PM8/25/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Excellent! I should be there …

Paddy

Martin (Crypt)

Aug 25, 2013, 4:37:35 PM8/25/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Nice one
I'll drop by to help out aswell

Henry Sands

Aug 26, 2013, 11:22:34 AM8/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Had a bit of a peek at the lathe, needs a bit of TLC and a polish, the belt needs changing but one has been provided, no tools with it so we'll have to find a set of them somewhere if we want to use it, but it does come with the grinding and sanding wheel attachments which is very cool, also a ton of centre drills and what my amateur eye makes out to be metal turning bits?

Thanks very much for dropping this down! Gonna enjoy myself digging into it!

Adrian Godwin

Aug 26, 2013, 12:00:28 PM8/26/13
to london-hack-space
Isn't the recycled tools guy visiting soon ? Maybe he has some gouges.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Henry Sands <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Had a bit of a peek at the lathe, needs a bit of TLC and a polish, the belt needs changing but one has been provided, no tools with it so we'll have to find a set of them somewhere if we want to use it, but it does come with the grinding and sanding wheel attachments which is very cool, also a ton of centre drills and what my amateur eye makes out to be metal turning bits?

Thanks very much for dropping this down! Gonna enjoy myself digging into it!

Henry Sands

Aug 26, 2013, 2:10:21 PM8/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There is no easy way to get the spindle out to put on a new v belt as it was originally designed with a segmented belt a bit like a bicycles, they are still around and used, I'll look into the size needed and get the price, probably around the £15-30 mark.

Other than that we gave it a thorough clean and polished out the tube and thoroughly freed all the moving parts, once we get a new belt, some gouges and a face shield we'll probably be good to go.

Getting a live centre would also not be a terrible idea.

wyan std

Aug 26, 2013, 2:12:55 PM8/26/13
to london-hack-space

Henry Sands

Aug 26, 2013, 3:15:50 PM8/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Probably not, but at that price you can probably take the risk.

Henry Sands

Aug 26, 2013, 5:05:40 PM8/26/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/A_Section_Power_Twist_Plus_V-Belt__13mm__-_1_Mtr-97393-p

this is exactly what we need, I'll double check and measure the belt to see if it is the correct length, otherwise we will need 2m which is £30

Adrian Godwin

Aug 27, 2013, 3:54:57 AM8/27/13
to london-hack-space
Could we add a full-face shield to the essential list please ?

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Henry Sands <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/A_Section_Power_Twist_Plus_V-Belt__13mm__-_1_Mtr-97393-p

this is exactly what we need, I'll double check and measure the belt to see if it is the correct length, otherwise we will need 2m which is £30

Henry Sands

Aug 28, 2013, 10:42:17 AM8/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Checked the length, 1m should do, add in a face shield and postage and it will probably come to around £35.

Could someone set up a pledge? I don't want to be That Guy who sets one up and doesn't pledge himself (currently skint)

Zachary Eastop

Sep 2, 2013, 7:04:32 PM9/2/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone know what size chuck will fit this machine? I need a jaw chuck for some projects and am looking into getting my hands on one.

Henry Sands

Sep 2, 2013, 8:33:35 PM9/2/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The threading for chucks is imperial, I remember googling to find the size and the answers in the first or second result, the chucks cost around £40-50, the taper for any centre holds is a 1M or M1, I can't remember which way around they are, but it's a universal size for most wood lathes.

AndHab

Sep 3, 2013, 4:36:38 AM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I was looking this morning and apparently Aldi will be doing a £90 wood lathe on Sunday.

Someone with some experience and one nearby might want to take a look at it, their tools can be a bit hit and miss sadly.

wyan std

Sep 3, 2013, 6:38:06 AM9/3/13
to london-hack-space
I have ordered the belt, so hopefully we'll have it in a few days. In the mean time, if someone wants to chip in, that'd be great. The total cost was £27.89.

Henry Sands

Sep 3, 2013, 7:01:02 AM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
For those interested in buying chucks, I did a bit of research and found the probable spindle thread size.

1" 12 tpi whitworth thread form

This needs verifying

Sam Gaus

Sep 3, 2013, 7:24:45 AM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Would be good to put that on the wiki

Adrian Godwin

Sep 3, 2013, 7:38:03 AM9/3/13
to london-hack-space
lathes.co.uk staes this too - but only for the right hand thread (the one facing the bed).
The left-hand bowl-turning thread is 0.75" x 12tpi

See the 4th greyscale picture in  http://www.lathes.co.uk/MYFORDWOOD/

This backplate should fit it to most generic woodturning chucks, or we can make one from a lump of steel - though that may not cost any less if we have to buy the steel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodturning-chuck-Backplate-myford-ml8-/121169495324

Adrian Godwin

Sep 3, 2013, 7:38:51 AM9/3/13
to london-hack-space
Sorry - 7/8", not 0.75"

Henry Sands

Sep 3, 2013, 8:13:10 AM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It actually came with a faceplace for each side, the outside one has been turned into a disc sander by having a disc screwed to it with sandpaper on, pretty handy actually.

Zachary Eastop

Sep 3, 2013, 4:15:17 PM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've looked into getting a jaw chuck and it's £135. Any thoughts?
(Second one down)

Henry Sands

Sep 3, 2013, 4:16:41 PM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There MUST be something cheaper, all you need is the faceplate then a non myford chuck

Nigel Worsley

Sep 3, 2013, 5:01:20 PM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I've looked into getting a jaw chuck and it's £135. Any thoughts?

Yes, why are you looking at buying an metalworking chuck for a wood
lathe? It is the wrong tool for the job and is also significantly more
expensive. This is what the proper chuck should look like:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290884435094&fromMakeTrack=true

I think that one has the wrong thread, and it would also be better to
source it in the UK, but it illustrates the difference between the two
types of chuck.

Nigle

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Sep 3, 2013, 5:08:56 PM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that link, I've forwarded it to a couple of friends outside
London with an interest in turning.

Henry Sands

Sep 3, 2013, 5:12:17 PM9/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, nig...@googlemail.com
a metalworking chuck will still work fine on a wood lathe, but yea a cheaper and probably better option is to get a woodturning chuck.

wyan std

Sep 5, 2013, 5:15:15 AM9/5/13
to london-hack-space
A quick update: We got the belt yesterday, and it turned out to be 10cm too short, so we'll have to order an additional one. They were pretty fast shipping it, so hopefully we'll be able to get the lathe working very soon.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Henry Sands <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
a metalworking chuck will still work fine on a wood lathe, but yea a cheaper and probably better option is to get a woodturning chuck.

Henry Sands

Sep 5, 2013, 10:55:12 AM9/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Does mean we'll have roughly 90cm of spare 13mm belt, which could be used for the other lathes.

Henry Sands

Sep 13, 2013, 11:20:41 AM9/13/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The rest of hte belt arrived, but I have been too sick to get to the space (stupid man flu), I will try and drop it off monday/tuesday

wyan std

Sep 13, 2013, 12:05:41 PM9/13/13
to london-hack-space
Get well soon get well soon get well soon get well soon get well soon

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Henry Sands <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
The rest of hte belt arrived, but I have been too sick to get to the space (stupid man flu), I will try and drop it off monday/tuesday

Henry Sands

Sep 18, 2013, 10:11:56 AM9/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wood lathe now fully functional, new belt installed and bearings lubricated, it uses an old fashioned total-loss system so seeing oil leaking out the housing is fine, needs a top up once a week based on use using automatic transmission fluids (in the red bottle behind the lathe)

Dr Thrax

Sep 18, 2013, 10:22:04 AM9/18/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone who worked on this. :)

wyan std

Sep 18, 2013, 10:36:26 AM9/18/13
to london-hack-space
Yay! :D

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Dr Thrax <ross.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks to everyone who worked on this. :)

Henry Sands

Oct 9, 2013, 11:16:58 AM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Phoned up HM Electric Motors to ask about repairs, they said WORST CASE it could be £250 for a complete rewind, but they have no idea what the problem might be until we take it to them.

Can we organize some transport? The things a big too heavy to be lugging down to the end of hackney road in a backpack. (N1 7RD)

Simon Howes

Oct 9, 2013, 11:18:42 AM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Wow. Why even bother?
new motors from machine mart are only about 60 bucks....
They even sell stepped pulleys that match 'em

Unless its really hard to make the mounting?

On Oct 9, 2013 3:17 PM, "Henry Sands" <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Phoned up HM Electric Motors to ask about repairs, they said WORST CASE it could be £250 for a complete rewind, but they have no idea what the problem might be until we take it to them.

Can we organize some transport? The things a big too heavy to be lugging down to the end of hackney road in a backpack. (N1 7RD)

David LHS

Oct 9, 2013, 3:49:16 PM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 9, 2013 3:17 PM, "Henry Sands" <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Phoned up HM Electric Motors to ask about repairs, they said WORST CASE it
> could be =A3250 for a complete rewind, but they have no idea what the problem
> might be until we take it to them.

What are the symptoms?

David.

pad...@padski.co.uk

Oct 9, 2013, 4:21:40 PM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It goes backwards. We dismantled it to check the brushes and commutator to
no avail, but noticed the insulation on the wires is perished, cracked,
and generally buggered. Hopefully the enameled windings are not so bad..
Paddy

David LHS

Oct 9, 2013, 4:58:27 PM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I had a look at it a couple of weeks ago as someone pointed it out to me as a non-runner, then saw it assembled and assumed it was working.

On 09/10/2013 21:21, pad...@padski.co.uk wrote:
> It goes backwards.

A twist in the belt would reverse the direction. Though that may not suit the belt you have. Maybe something like this:

<http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Engineering_Menu_Plastic_Transmission_Belt_46.html>

A V belt might be OK, but may break the fire rule if it rubs.

> We dismantled it to check the brushes and commutator to
> no avail, but noticed the insulation on the wires is perished, cracked,
> and generally buggered.

The wires can easily be replaced. I'd be willing to do that once I've dealt with my other problem. The polarity may be changeable (possibly by reversing a winding). Won't know without looking / trying. I'd prefer to twist the belt.

> Hopefully the enameled windings are not so bad..

Probably fine if it hasn't burnt out. The motor itself ran nicely when I looked at it.

David.

Paddy Duncan

Oct 9, 2013, 5:30:10 PM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Apologies I will elaborate; it was going the right way at first, then it
started going backwards for no apparent reason.
Yes it is reversible by moving one of the brushes, but no one moved
anything...
Paddy

Henry Sands

Oct 9, 2013, 6:01:32 PM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Its also going at half the speed it should and making a weird knocking sound, so we're thinking the wiring to one of the brushes has died.

Simon Howes

Oct 9, 2013, 7:13:10 PM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Wait? It isn't an induction motor?

On Oct 9, 2013 10:01 PM, "Henry Sands" <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Its also going at half the speed it should and making a weird knocking sound, so we're thinking the wiring to one of the brushes has died.

Henry Sands

Oct 9, 2013, 7:16:11 PM10/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No, universal.

Adrian Godwin

Oct 10, 2013, 4:35:21 PM10/10/13
to london-hack-space
I don't think it's worth fixing a universal motor. Find out what speed it should run at and get a modern induction motor, secondhand if necessary.

-adrian

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Henry Sands <hfs...@googlemail.com> wrote:
No, universal.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 10, 2013, 7:51:37 PM10/10/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've got a few sitting around. What RPM and power does it need to be?

On 10/10/2013 21:35, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> I don't think it's worth fixing a universal motor. Find out what speed
> it should run at and get a modern induction motor, secondhand if necessary.
>
> -adrian
>

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Henry Sands <hfs...@googlemail.com
> <mailto:hfs...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
> No, universal.

Henry Sands

Oct 10, 2013, 11:18:31 PM10/10/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4hp, rpm is 1750

Paddy Duncan

Oct 11, 2013, 4:05:32 AM10/11/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

The industrial Brother sewing machine motor is 1750rpm, so if anyone happens to come across a variable speed motor and controller for that…..

Don’t just nick it though.

Paddy