Malicious Email

London Hackspace Trustees

Feb 16, 2018, 5:56:47 PM2/16/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

We feel you should be made aware of the following email, which was sent last week to the estate agents handling the Eade Rd property.

As might be expected from honest and intelligent people, they recognised it for what it was and informed us immediately.

If any of you have any information regarding the source, please contact us in confidence on trus...@london.hackspace.org.uk

It would be appreciated if you can refrain from idle speculation, finger-pointing, unnecessary drama etc. on this matter but any serious information on who might so wish us harm would be welcome.

FYI it was sent from: tonydu...@outlook.com

Regards

The London Hackspace Trustees

Subject: due diligence on 105 EADE ROAD, LONDON N4 1TJ

xxxxx

I am aware that you may be about to propose a contract regarding 105 EADE ROAD, LONDON N4 1TJ and London hackspace whilst doing your due diligence or advising the owner of this property you should be aware that there is considerable antisocial behaviour (theft drugs and violence) much of it unaddressed associated with this tenant and that they have very high traffic in terms of foot fall with over a thousand members 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

In addition to this they have declining income and - they acknowledge operational problems and have done so a for few years now, but have not been able to remedy them then and we suspect wont now.

Some links are included to public information regarding LHS. their wiki and google group are good starting points.

We feel that you are obliged to share this with the land lord, we will also be endeavouring to do so.

Regards

Tony

Tip of the ice berg

https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Grievance_Procedure/Bans_Issued

Basement Fire Door broken off hinges and light switch smashed

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/yMQ3XVh0B0c/831mbt4xBAAJ

Violence

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/s3D85gndDr4/nY5_FuKyCQAJ

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/g429gapefog/3mT1HcSyCQAJ

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/vqZx8AaP6r8/s0Odss6yCQAJ

Criminal Activity

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/V4ObbBFUrAg/uZtEZaYCDgAJ

Bike Theft

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!searchin/london-hack-space/theft|sort:date/london-hack-space/sgjAFYjrgSY/1tFpA640CAAJ

Cash theft from safe

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/0_CSstcyYXA/79nAdwjnBQAJ

Most unexcellent: Stealing Computers & Components

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/Ev2ioK8TJyM/EKz6QNGaBwAJ

Drugs - Illegal Activity

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/london-hack-space/EQf-m_MZIE0/kNirADMZAQAJ

Billy

Feb 16, 2018, 6:58:56 PM2/16/18
to London Hackspace

Could we find out if this is why we've had the run-around from the other properties we were looking at?

Des Quilty

Feb 17, 2018, 11:16:45 AM2/17/18
to London Hackspace
A good reason to make sure that our present place is cleared out correctly so we get a decent reference from the existing landlord.

henry...@ntlworld.com

Feb 17, 2018, 3:41:22 PM2/17/18
to London Hackspace
Obviously someone with a grievance. I'd start looking on the banned list.
Maybe the Trustees should keep any further negotiations more private, even though members want to know what is happening with the move.
I've noticed that you've learnt this WRT the proposed storage facility.

Henry Best
HS 06387

Matthew Haynes

Feb 17, 2018, 5:07:36 PM2/17/18
to London Hackspace
Hi Henry,

Yeah this is upsetting, clearly somebody with a grievance, sadly though I can’t say I am really surprised.

Regardless, I don’t feel that Trustees keeping stuff even more private than they have done feels like a good move to me. I know you guys have been working very hard in all our interests but there has already been long periods with little communication which has left a lot of us in the dark.

I come in the space very often but when I ask about the move I’m often told very cryptically that ‘things are happening’ or even worse have been told that it’s frustrating to be asking about the move at all.

It looks like the space is going into storage mode now, with the hope that we’ll find somewhere soon. I’m a really keen member but given there’ll be no physical meeting point if feels now more than ever we need open online communications to keep the community going, especially if we still need members standing orders to facilitate the move.

Either way, thanks to the Trustee’s for all you’ve done so far, I’m hoping to be in next weekend to help pack up.

Matt

Paddy Duncan

Feb 18, 2018, 3:02:47 AM2/18/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

??

We haven’t had the run-around…

Tom Newsom

Feb 18, 2018, 3:27:20 AM2/18/18
to London Hackspace
This would be a perfect opportunity to switch from a mailing list to a more managed platform with permissions/members-only areas etc. At SLMS we have our Discourse talking to the membership system so we can talk about things like finances, landlords or suppliers in private with paying members only.

Martin (Crypt)

Feb 18, 2018, 3:33:17 AM2/18/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We do have a discourse set up, as we were looking at this before, but I think that right now is not the time to be messing with our communication structures.  For the next few weeks, communication is going to be key to everything going smoothly, and no matter how good new platforms are, its going to inevitably lead to some confusion and teething problems that we really can't afford at the current time.

Maybe when we've completed the move out from the old space entirely, we can look at new platforms and structures, but I think now really isn't the time

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Tom Newsom <tom.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
This would be a perfect opportunity to switch from a mailing list to a more managed platform with permissions/members-only areas etc. At SLMS we have our Discourse talking to the membership system so we can talk about things like finances, landlords or suppliers in private with paying members only.

Paddy Duncan

Feb 18, 2018, 3:49:28 AM2/18/18
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk
Yes, the current situation makes a very good case for it.. I'm rapidly becoming in favour myself :)
Although as Martin has posted just now, maybe a bit later...

Regarding Matthew's experience of asking for information in person, I cannot explain why you are not getting straight answers, you will if you ask me, although I'm not as regular an attendee as some.
And suggesting that it's frustrating to be asked is not on at all. Feel free to email me and I'll answer anything. There is no reason to keep anything from members, but with only ~20% of subscribers being members on our main communication medium, it's a bit awkward at the mo.

Paddy