Re: Most unexcellent: Stealing Computers & Components

Message has been deleted

Henry Sands

Oct 8, 2015, 7:40:37 PM10/8/15
to London Hackspace
Can people who do this kind of thing kindly leave and not be hackspace members any more.

On Friday, 9 October 2015 00:17:53 UTC+1, kraptv wrote:
With some encouragement from others to post on this list, I regret to share a note.

To the person who stole the donated laptop and the components out of the Dell Precision T5500 earmarked for infrastructure use:

You did a very unexcellent thing. When I first inspected the machines, they were missing hard drives and video cards.  I popped in another separately donated video card and that and some of the memory went missing between Saturday and today (Thursday).  Waves of theft like a car being picked for parts in a bad neighbourhood.

Just because it was a free donation doesn't mean it's free for you to take. There's at least one other member that had his computer taken as well. Not nice at all.

This kind of unexcellent behaviour inspires people to invest in surveillance of their own members (IP cameras, etc.) rather than spend the money on productive stuff and fun stuff.

If you're feeling any remorse, please return the components to where you took them.

Thanks.

JJ

Oct 8, 2015, 7:41:55 PM10/8/15
to London Hackspace
A small minority confuse a community with a free shop.  Taking stuff that you're not entitled to is a criminal offence whether it's a lasercutter or a slab of memory.  It may amount to pennies per member but someone's got to go to the expense and effort of replacing it.

Do the right thing and drop it back somewhere where it'll be found.

simon tyszko

Oct 8, 2015, 8:58:04 PM10/8/15
to London Hackspace
serious down vote on this behaviour....
sad

Simon Howes

Oct 9, 2015, 4:45:08 AM10/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I suspect the answer is that we probably do at this point have one or thieves more operating in their professional capacity at the space. We've grown big enough and been going long enough now that this is just going to happen with a public-facing organisation. Sorry if that sounds overly pessimistic, but sooner or later someone will work out there's somewhere they can get in and nick bits.

Jon Russell

Oct 9, 2015, 6:20:16 AM10/9/15
to London Hackspace
Yes. Some people are arseholes.

Drop me a PM of what you're missing ... I'll see if I can find some spare bits ...

Regards,

Jon.

David Murphy

Oct 9, 2015, 6:39:57 AM10/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On a less serious note: Someone keeps stealing forks. I've gone out and bought more forks for the space a few times and within a couple of weeks they're all gone again.

We may simply have a single Klepto asshole filling their wardrobe at home with shiny things rather than anything professional.

Jonathan Wising

Oct 9, 2015, 6:47:11 AM10/9/15
to London Hackspace
Haha, wow someone is stealing forks? Maybe someone is of the mindset that it's nicer to recycle the forks than doing the dishes... Or using them as electrodes for some nice electrolysis process we haven't yet found out about.

Simon Howes

Oct 9, 2015, 6:48:06 AM10/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Using them to fork the source

On 9 Oct 2015 11:47 am, "Jonathan Wising" <jw1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Haha, wow someone is stealing forks? Maybe someone is of the mindset that it's nicer to recycle the forks than doing the dishes... Or using them as electrodes for some nice electrolysis process we haven't yet found out about.

Martin (Crypt)

Oct 9, 2015, 7:32:36 AM10/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

No, if it was just source then there would be an issue with spoons as well.  Can someone check them actually, maybe there is no spoon

Ian Henderson

Oct 9, 2015, 7:51:04 AM10/9/15
to London Hackspace
I have previously donated over 50 forks

All have gone....

David Murphy

Oct 9, 2015, 8:00:22 AM10/9/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think I'm up to about 24 or 36.
I wouldn't mind if a few had got mangled in or turned into electrodes, they're not expensive, but someone is just nicking them.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Ian Henderson <i...@advancedforensics.com> wrote:
I have previously donated over 50 forks

All have gone....

Mr Ed

Oct 9, 2015, 9:55:31 AM10/9/15
to London Hackspace

On Friday, 9 October 2015 12:51:04 UTC+1, Ian Henderson wrote:
I have previously donated over 50 forks

All have gone....

I don't recall seeing a storage request or a "DNH" sticker on any of the forks.

-Ed

[PS no, I am not being serious]

Yvan Janssens

Oct 9, 2015, 12:44:43 PM10/9/15
to London Hackspace
Forks are not the only problem either, most of the usable screwdrivers are nicked too, and if they get replaced, they'd just get nicked again.

I'm currently already at a point where I just bring in my own (basic) tools, and use the more complex things or things too heavy to steal from the space itself. Which more or less spoils the purpose of coming to the space to work on a project a bit, since if I need to drag everything with me to take my laptop apart to work on it, I could just as well do it on my kitchen table.

On the other side, we can't really stop this. I sometimes drop some poundland screwdrivers in the space, or some other crap. They're low quality and not always reliable, but at least, there is something. I try to keep my eyes open, but there isn't anything more we can do I think.

This message has been sent on the road - excuse me for my brevity.

Henry Best

Oct 9, 2015, 7:00:59 PM10/9/15
to London Hackspace
I think the problem with forks is that they get put into a bin with food waste and wrappings by accident. I don't think anyone would actually steal a fork, unless it was solid silver or gold.

simon tyszko

Oct 9, 2015, 8:00:52 PM10/9/15
to London Hackspace
i was actually thinking a similar thing.... occams razor would suggest hackspace members more likely being focused on projects, components, international politics, science, the space program, etc etc etc, and simply not noticing the fork hidden underneath the stale pizza crust or aged kebab wrapper.. rather than a dedicated cabal of fork thieves.....

Henry Best

Oct 10, 2015, 9:21:11 PM10/10/15
to London Hackspace

On Saturday, 10 October 2015 01:00:52 UTC+1, simon tyszko wrote:
i was actually thinking a similar thing.... occams razor would suggest hackspace members more likely being focused on projects, components, international politics, science, the space program, etc etc etc, and simply not noticing the fork hidden underneath the stale pizza crust or aged kebab wrapper.. rather than a dedicated cabal of fork thieves.....

More a case of forketfulness than malice.
Message has been deleted

Matt Taylor

Oct 11, 2015, 5:34:27 PM10/11/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I *think* I still have my previous card. ATI Radeon something. Not as oooomphy as today’s card, but happy to donate its oooomph if it’ll help. I’ll root around and see if I can find the model number and spec. I’ve had an ATI Radon 6900 in my main machine since 2012, and I’m praying it’s good enough to cope with Fallout 4…

Oct 11, 2015, 5:34:59 PM10/11/15
to London Hackspace
sad to report my donated server had the graphics card cleanly removed... i checked with jon and they all had cards installed and were booting. i assumed mine was headless as the slot cover has been replaced... utter strangeness and yes, lets try and turn this to a positive......

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 11, 2015, 6:50:17 PM10/11/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Since the servers don't have any spare card slot covers with them, that
suggests quite a bit of pre-meditation. Over-thinking it even.

It sounds like they not only wanted to steal the card, but wanted to
make you think it might never have had one to start with?

I'm curious if the slot cover matched all the others. The vented Dell
ones aren't exactly rare, but I only had a single one in my extensive
collection of old computer bits.

On 11/10/2015 22:34, simon tyszko wrote:
> sad to report my donated server had the graphics card cleanly removed...
> i checked with jon and they all had cards installed and were booting. i
> assumed mine was headless as the slot cover has been replaced... utter
> strangeness and yes, lets try and turn this to a positive......

> On Sunday, 11 October 2015 22:22:19 UTC+1, kraptv wrote:
>
> So, reverting back to the original topic (these people did not have
> a sudden change of heart and returned the goods - disappointing):
>
> *Any gamers or bitcoin miners having upgraded their nice-ish cards
> the latest GPUs have any modern(ish - 2012 to current day) they
> would be willing to donate to the space? This will be used for
> refurbishing the workstations on the ground floor that need 3D oomph.*
>
> This would be appreciated as we try to improve the resources at the
> hackspace - we gotta put a bit more fondness back into the shared
> space these days. Turn this negative into a positive, possibly.
> (also - maybe make a sign for the lazies 'stop binning metal
> forks' and bring some forks if you've got some hope it'll make a
> difference?)
>
> Thanks, all.

Tangent-man

Oct 11, 2015, 7:07:29 PM10/11/15
to London Hackspace
Are you sure the machine hasn't got any display ports?

I didn't think my Dell Jon gave me had a video card at first but on further inspection it had 2 dispay ports (not VGA ports etc). The look a bit like HDMI but not...

simon tyszko

Oct 11, 2015, 7:20:05 PM10/11/15
to London Hackspace
it seems far more likely I've made a schoolboy error here than someone going to all that trouble.......
bright lights, hands and knees, slot by slot...asap......
fingers crossed

simon tyszko

Oct 11, 2015, 7:51:24 PM10/11/15
to London Hackspace
original dell slot covers.... and plenty of esata but no graphics that i can see...
(roughly stitched images)

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 11, 2015, 7:55:29 PM10/11/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Those eSATA ports are where the graphics card was positioned on mine.

On 12/10/2015 00:51, simon tyszko wrote:
> original dell slot covers.... and plenty of esata but no graphics that i
> can see...
> (roughly stitched images)
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zhZYPg1upDo/Vhr12yc1SCI/AAAAAAABdug/CGptt8G1muw/s1600/server----1.jpg>
>

> On Monday, 12 October 2015 00:20:05 UTC+1, simon tyszko wrote:
>
> it seems far more likely I've made a schoolboy error here than
> someone going to all that trouble.......
> bright lights, hands and knees, slot by slot...asap......
> fingers crossed
>

> On Monday, 12 October 2015 00:07:29 UTC+1, Tangent-man wrote:
>
> Are you sure the machine hasn't got any display ports?
>
> I didn't think my Dell Jon gave me had a video card at first but
> on further inspection it had 2 dispay ports (not VGA ports etc).
> The look a bit like HDMI but not...

Matt Wheeler

Mike

Oct 12, 2015, 5:09:24 AM10/12/15
On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 04:51:23PM -0700, simon tyszko wrote:
> original dell slot covers.... and plenty of esata but no graphics that i
> can see...
> (roughly stitched images)

They're display port connectors. Three right-angle corners with one
diaganol. ESATA connectors are symetical and look a bit like a
scaled-up microUSB connector.

Mike.
signature.asc

torq...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2015, 5:12:07 AM10/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I can't see too well cos on my phone and picture a bit blurred  too I think but I'm pretty sure thats dual head display port graphics card I can see :-)

torq...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2015, 5:14:56 AM10/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Heh mystery solved :-)

I still had my laptop nicked though...

Sent from my iPhone

theb...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2015, 5:16:27 AM10/12/15
to London Hackspace
Re: "Are you sure the machine hasn't got any display ports?

I didn't think my Dell Jon gave me had a video card at first but on further inspection it had 2 dispay ports (not VGA ports etc). The look a bit like HDMI but not..."

Yes, sounds like mine- those are DisplayPort card/connectors. Adapters to VGA etc available.

(I had some fun, in that tried to set bios passwords, but either i messed up or something weird happened, got locked out, had to reset jumpers :) Then got all working, but seem to have or ended up with a password on the one seagate drive. Used a replacement drive, todo: crack seagate, tips welcome).

Anyway, thanks! Sorry to hear about the apparent thefts.

simon tyszko

Oct 12, 2015, 5:46:18 AM10/12/15
to London Hackspace
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....
SCHOOLBOY ERROR.....
HAHAHAHAHAHA
that's so so so much better than someone removing the graphics card...
i'm going to donate some forks as well

so sorry for the silly.....

THANKS EVERYONE....

Adrian Godwin

Oct 12, 2015, 6:50:39 AM10/12/15
to london-hack-space

I've donated spoons in the past, but I'm a bit against it now. The less cutlery there is, the harder it is to get away with leaving it dirty in the sink. Ideally there would be only 1 set and a queue, like most other tools.

Jon Russell

Oct 12, 2015, 6:56:31 AM10/12/15
to London Hackspace
We must have some metal letter stamps somewhere ? If we stamped all the cutlery with "LHS" do we think that would deter people ?

Do we think they're being stolen ? or just lost ?

I have a suspicion people take them by mistake (left in a lunch box, put in your bag by mistake) and once they are home, they look like everyone else's forks and will never return.

If they were stamped with "LHS", they would be identifiable as alien ?

I don't mind stamping them, if we think it would make a difference ?

Regards,

Jon.

David Murphy

Oct 12, 2015, 7:18:37 AM10/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Worth a shot. Though the earlier explanation of them maybe ending up in the bin is also likely.

JJ

Oct 12, 2015, 7:26:22 AM10/12/15
to London Hackspace
We could stop that by putting RFID tags on all the cutlery and readers in all the bins.

Martin (Crypt)

Oct 12, 2015, 7:43:54 AM10/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We could, but I'm pretty sure the readers and tags would cost more than just replacing the lost forks

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:26 PM, JJ <jj.so...@gmail.com> wrote:
We could stop that by putting RFID tags on all the cutlery and readers in all the bins.

Yvan Janssens

Oct 12, 2015, 8:05:52 AM10/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We could also just steal replacement forks - we have a certain number of members travelling often, so those people could e.g. steal two forks a week in a hotel to bring them to the space.

Y.

Simon Tyszko

Oct 12, 2015, 8:22:32 AM10/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That might have serious consequences for the space, not least with the cutlery cartels already in the hack knee area....

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "London Hackspace" group.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Oct 12, 2015, 10:02:32 AM10/12/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like there are two machines with dual displayport cards.

I'll be in later today to pick up the bits from the studio clearout.
I'll bring in some displayport to DVI adaptors I have.

Jeremy

Oct 13, 2015, 1:52:10 AM10/13/15
to London Hackspace
With regards to theft, we could build lockers accessed with our hackspace cards, so that the person acessing the locker took responsibility for the stuff inside or for a place to leave donations. Built with a raspberry pie or the like

Henry Best

Oct 13, 2015, 5:35:19 PM10/13/15
to London Hackspace
Where?

Tangent-man

Oct 14, 2015, 1:51:00 AM10/14/15
to London Hackspace
What if someone steels the raspberry-pi and the locker and just leaves a big pile of spoons in its place?

Philip Roy

Oct 14, 2015, 4:00:09 AM10/14/15
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Then the problem is solved... We have a supply of spoons again and we have got rid of a bulky item of unnecessary equipment.
Phil
-
Seek ye the truth and the truth shall make ye free
-

Jasper Wallace

Oct 27, 2015, 10:32:55 PM10/27/15
to London Hackspace
The blue olympic lockers by the lift in the basement are ment to to
exactly that, the rfid access never got finished tho :/

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]