Biophytum sp. from Hooghly 11/10/12 sk2

surajit koley

Oct 10, 2012, 3:30:50 PM10/10/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

I searched Biophytum sensitivum (L.) DC. in group posts and in other websites and found a couple of keys -
  1. ".... The main difference is sepals are more or less equal to petals in B.sensitivum whereas  in B. nervifolium sepals are half the length of petals....."  and "..... Biophtyum reinwardtii was a nightmare for me. This species often having a long and slender stem in shady habitat but in open place it is stem less with rosette of leaves apparetly seems to be a different species......" = https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/GPVHqpxMxXo/discussion
  2. : .... This is not Biophytum sensitivum (L.) DC. This is B. reinwardtii. Biophytum sensitivum has pedicels 1/3 of the calyx length. " = https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/U0TJHuKQZ14/discussion
  3. "... This species is similar to Biophytum reinwardtii (Zuccarini) Klotzsch of Bhutan, India (W Himalaya), Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, and Thailand, which differs in the longer pedicels (5-7 mm) and capsules, which are longer than sepals..." = FoC = http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200012374
  4. Biophytum sensitivum in FoI = http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Little%20Tree%20Plant.html
  5. Biophytum reinwardtii in FoI = http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Reinwardt's%20Tree%20Plant.html
  6. Biophytum sensitivum in eFI = https://groups.google.com/d/topic/bodhi-nighantu/wufx94XZKHs/discussion
  7. another site = http://mukkutti-biophytumsensitivum.blogspot.in/
  8. from Japan = http://www.botanic.jp/plants-aa/osafuu.htm

Species : Biophytum sensitivum (L.) DC. ?
Habit & Habitat : wild herb grew in the garden of my colleague, Ms Arpita Ram (Das)
Date : 3-Sept-2012
Place : Konnagar (Hooghly)

Thank you and Regards,

surajit

arpita03sep12_DSCN1429.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1432.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1433.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1435.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1436.jpg

jmgarg1

Oct 21, 2012, 12:31:49 PM10/21/12
to efloraofindia, ratang...@yahoo.com, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, surajitno...@gmail.com

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1980 members & 1,33,000 messages on 30/9/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

arpita03sep12_DSCN1429.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1432.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1433.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1435.jpg
arpita03sep12_DSCN1436.jpg

surajit koley

Oct 21, 2012, 1:21:01 PM10/21/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, ratang...@yahoo.com, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in
Thank you very much Garg Sir, once again.

Regards,

surajit

jmgarg1

Oct 29, 2012, 3:25:10 AM10/29/12
to efloraofindia, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, surajitno...@gmail.com, sujan...@yahoo.com

Oct 29, 2012, 4:17:12 AM10/29/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, sujan...@yahoo.com
Thank you once again Garg Sir,

Regards,

surajit

J.M. Garg

Mar 10, 2013, 3:19:28 AM3/10/13
to efloraofindia, surajitno...@gmail.com
Taken as Biophytum nervifolium Thw., Enum. Pl. Zeyl. 64 1858 as per discusion in another thread;
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2065 members & 1,47,500 messages on 28/2/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8000 species).

surajit koley

Mar 10, 2013, 11:53:49 AM3/10/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Sir,

I think this is (and https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/indiantreepix/wCmyff5YzxwNOT Biophytum nervifolium Thwaites, because the species in this thread differs from following herbarium-
I think this plant qualifies the description of FoC, besides "Bengal Plants", "Flora of British India", "Flora Indica", - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200012374.

This is Biophytum sensitivum DC. of the "Bengal Plants" whatever be its current status and however one plays some botanical jargon using the terms like "holotype", "lectotype", "typotype" or "neotype"!

Even if it is Biophytum nervifolium Thwaites, as you seem to be more comfortable with, it is Biophytum sensitivum (L.) DC. as per The Plant List - http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2676169.

When we, in this group, are always consulting KEW, GRIN, FoC, FoP and other efloras to identify all other plants submitted to our group why should this case be an exception?

Regards,

surajit

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Mar 11, 2013, 3:49:20 AM3/11/13
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Taxonomic identity is subjective and may vary as per person's view. If someone thinking that he should  follow  on  certain concept and he has the freedom to do so. Somebody having a broad  species concept accommodating all variabilities of a taxon and the others are not. That doesnt meant that all concepts are wrong. If one has to get identified his specimen, he can use only the available monographs or floras. We will be waiting for a better one in near future.

Thanks

santhosh
--

---

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar MSc, PhD, FIAT, FLS (on leave for 2 years)
Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Presently working for the British Aerospace, Riyadh, KSA
NB: Please consider your environmental responsibility! Ask yourself before printing this email !!!

surajit koley

Mar 11, 2013, 11:14:13 AM3/11/13
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir for elaborating on taxonomic views. I understand your view. But, it cannot be put in the same bracket along with Phyllanthus niruri, i am afraid.

Regards,
surajit