Google Feedburner not working

Rand Hardy

Jan 17, 2015, 9:27:22 AM1/17/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
I tried to post here yesterday but the message has not appeared.

I am a self-taught, volunteer web-master for a community website www.hodnet.org.uk

Recently our Google Feedburner has broken - I think in the last three days. Investigation via http://feedvalidator.org  tells me the problem is the appearance of the code for 'left double quotes' in the line for the Title.

line 11, column 34: XML parsing error: <unknown>:11:34: undefined entity [help]
<title>Hodnet - North Shropshire &laquo; Hodnet - North Shropshire</title>

There are two features in the above which I am not sure where they arise from and therefore not sure how to correct them. The first is the &laquo; and the second is why the site title "Hodnet - North Shropshire" is repeated.

The feed address is: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Hodnet

The site is a WordPress site.

If anyone could suggest how I can access the cause of the fault to correct it I would appreciate it. The last thing I want to do is set up an alternate feed and find that the problem transfers there.

Matti Nescio

Jan 17, 2015, 6:45:14 PM1/17/15
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:27:22 PM UTC+2, Rand Hardy wrote:

line 11, column 34: XML parsing error: <unknown>:11:34: undefined entity [help]
<title>Hodnet - North Shropshire &laquo; Hodnet - North Shropshire</title>

There are two features in the above which I am not sure where they arise from and therefore not sure how to correct them. The first is the &laquo; and the second is why the site title "Hodnet - North Shropshire" is repeated.

The duplicated title is not a Feedburner issue, although it can be worked around by changing your Feedburner settings.
To really fix it, your Wordpress settings need to be corrected.

While you are redirecting all Wordpress feed URLs to the Feedburner feed, it's
somewhat impossible to see what the content of your Original Feed looks like.

Matti Nescio

Jan 17, 2015, 6:50:47 PM1/17/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
... and &laquo; is simply the encoded form of « , double left angle quote  ,
that you have a few of in your right sidebar. Might want to look for both
forms of it in your themes and php files.

Rand Hardy

Jan 19, 2015, 9:59:35 AM1/19/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matti,

Thanks for both your posts. Yes, you are correct it does seem to be caused by the theme (Atahualpa) and I remember now that an update was released last week. The theme has worked well for several years and I am reluctant to change it because of all the customising which has been done - finding a like for like replacement would be hard.

The source feed is http://www.hodnet.org.uk/main/?feed=rss2  which also contains the problem line.

The problem was resolved by a short lived change to the default theme Twenty Fifteen, but reoccurred when I switched back. I do remember the update taking longer than usual but then it seemed to be OK. So in case it was corrupted I downloaded a second copy and placed it in the themes directory with an adjusted folder name and switched the site it. That did not resolve the problems :{

The links you provided did suggest looking in several of the wp files for the problem (e.g. header.php) but I was not sure what I was looking for. If you can be specific which system file I should find it in I would be very grateful.

I will also raise this on the theme author's discussion board when I next get a moment.

Many thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Rand Hardy

Jan 20, 2015, 9:35:35 AM1/20/15
to feedburner...@googlegroups.com
A final update and word of thanks.

The theme support had not spotted the problem, but now has. Their comment was "There was code changed in that area due to WP Theme Requirements." and advise reinstalling a previous version.

That has now resolved the problem.

Once again thanks to Matti for his help
Message has been deleted