Changing the Dataverse Hierarchy

Sherry Lake

Nov 29, 2017, 9:48:28 AM11/29/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Please tell me if this is crazy (so I can confirm to others here at UVa that this is crazy, because I think it is crazy):

Can we create a new top-level dataverse on our existing sub-data verse structure? They want to go from this:

to this:

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 29, 2017, 9:22:11 PM11/29/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Sherry, I'll check in with the development team tomorrow. I don't know if we've had a case of switching out the root dataverse before, and there would certainly be some reindexing and some moving, but I'm sure there's something we can figure out. Thanks for the diagram!

Durand, Gustavo

Nov 29, 2017, 9:35:56 PM11/29/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
This should definitely be doable. The easiest way, I think, would be to:

1. Create UVa Dataverse under the current LibraDataverse.
2. In the db:
a. change the parent of UVa to be null
b. change parent of LibraDataverse to be UVa Dataverse.
3. REINDEX ALL
4. Create the other dataverses under UVa Dataverse, when ready.

There may be some special settings for the "root dataverse" that would no longer apply to Libra Dataverse, but I'm guessing that would be what you would want, since it's no longer root. But generally, there's nothing special about the "content" of the root dataverse.

This should, of course, be done on some test copy to make sure I'm not missing anything critical.

Gustavo

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:22 PM, danny...@g.harvard.edu <danny...@g.harvard.edu> wrote:
Hey Sherry, I'll check in with the development team tomorrow. I don't know if we've had a case of switching out the root dataverse before, and there would certainly be some reindexing and some moving, but I'm sure there's something we can figure out. Thanks for the diagram!

Heppler, Michael

Nov 30, 2017, 4:21:10 PM11/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I was looking for this issue in GitHub yesterday but couldn't seem to find it. Found it this morning though!

Move Dataverse: Allow super user to move a dataverse and reindex it and all child objects. #2278
https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2278

There are other related issues linked in comments. This was once planned to be a feature in the UI, but was not developed, so there have been various conversations related to it.

Sherry, please feel free to add any comments for your use case to relevant issues, or create a new issue!

Mike

Michael Heppler
User Interface Designer + Developer
The Institute for Quantitative Social Science
1737 Cambridge Street, Rm K333
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-2450
mhep...@hmdc.harvard.edu
www.iq.harvard.edu

Philipp at UiT

Dec 1, 2017, 1:02:10 AM12/1/17
to Dataverse Users Community
We have added a new top-level in out Dataverse installation (dataverse.no). We went from

UiT Open Research Data (= UiT's institutional repo)
> TROLLing

DataverseNO (= A national repo for research institutions (and single researchers) in Norway)
> UiT Open Research Data
   >TROLLing
> UiA Open Research Data

I'm sure my colleague Obi can give you the technical details.

Best,
Philipp (in a hurry...)

ofu...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2017, 5:08:34 AM12/1/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,
Gustavo explaination and the basic steps at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A2v_ylLIRLIV6UpkDAJNNiFQt7q3SrAtAvQmg4nHBoY/edit will help you.

Obi

Philip Durbin

Dec 1, 2017, 10:28:03 AM12/1/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Obi. I completely forgot about that Google doc but I see we discussed it at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/polE7z9_-NE/3xwAxgIHGgAJ

Anyone, if this workaround is useful enough to be put into the Admin Guide until a real solution is available, please created a GitHub issue: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

Thanks,

Phil

Sherry Lake

Dec 1, 2017, 10:31:06 AM12/1/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Thanks Obi & all others who have commented. We will give it a try on our testing server.

One question... will we have to do a re-index of SOLR as well? In Gustavo's comment about reindexing, I was assuming the Postgress DB, or did that mean ALL (including SOLR)?

Thanks again.
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Dec 1, 2017, 10:39:04 AM12/1/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm sure he means a "full reindex" as described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8.3/admin/solr-search-index.html

The reason is the in Solr we store an array called `subtreePaths` that looks something like this:

"subtreePaths":[
  "/2",
  "/2/3"
],

The example above means that the "dvobject" (a dataset, in this case) lives within a dataverse with an id of "3" and that the "3" dataverse lives within a dataverse with an id of "2". This Solr field is used to narrow searches to certain subtrees of the dataverse hierarchy. If you look at this field before and after you do your work, Sherry, it will certainly change. In the code I used a script at `scripts/search/query` to dump out values from Solr in JSON format.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Sherry Lake

Nov 6, 2018, 1:32:09 PM11/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Almost a year later ;-) and I am finally being pushed to change our dataverse hierarchy.

Main question I have now is:  Does the root dataverse HAVE to have id=1? Using API commands with ":root" - How does it know which one is root? Or is ":root" the dataverse with a null owner_id?

Thanks
Sherry

Don Sizemore

Nov 6, 2018, 1:49:20 PM11/6/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sherry,

This doesn't answer your question, and may or may not help at this point or be what you want to do: Odum simply renamed the root Dataverse to "unc" though I think we had to do so before publishing it.

You could try changing the alias in the dataverse table for id 1 on a test system?
Don

Philip Durbin

Nov 6, 2018, 1:53:58 PM11/6/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry (and Don),

That weird ":root" syntax[1] calls our standard "findRootDataverse" method which does indeed look for a null owner_id[2]. So the root dataverse shouldn't have to be id=1 even though it usually is.

I hope this helps,

Phil