Carvalho (Flores) and Thomas (Pico) Families who settled in San Joaquin Valley

Annie Carvalho

Feb 22, 2015, 12:02:35 PM2/22/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I'm Annie Carvalho.
My great-grandparents were Emma (Thomas) and JJ Carvalho.
I grew up spending lots of time with them on their ranch in Hanford, California.

I have a lot of old photos of this family, some people I do not know.
They were in my grandmother's things.
If you are researching this family, I hope you will contact me.

My family tree is public on ancestry.com and is called the Deborah Carvalho Family Tree.

Also, I visited the Azores several years ago, and have photos of some of the islands.

Is anyone driving to the conference in SLC from Portland, Oregon?

Happy to have found this group!
Annie (Deborah) Carvalho

Cheri Mello

Feb 22, 2015, 1:50:47 PM2/22/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

Do you have dates on your ancestors or their freguesia?  Was Emma Portuguese?

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

John Vasconcelos

Feb 22, 2015, 5:17:24 PM2/22/15
to azores
Annie,
My aunt and uncle, Jose and Maria Sousa (immigrants from Flores) were active in the Portuguese organizations in Hanford. She was secretary of the SPRSI (women's organization) for many years. He was treasurer or accountant for many Portugese lodges in Hanford.
John Vasconcelos

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---

luiznoia .

Feb 22, 2015, 11:08:38 PM2/22/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

Your Tree has Maria de Jesus Freitas born in Sao Miguel,

Her passport says she is a native of Santa Cruz, Flores.

I did some work on a Carvalho  family from Flores a few years back.

I'll take a look and get back to you. Meanwhile...
these marriage records from Flores relate to this family

Alfredo José Marcos [30 anos, n. Santa Cruz das Flores, f.º de Marcos
José Teixeira e de Catarina Tomásia de Simas] c. 1910.04.09 c. Cristina
de Freitas Carvalho [18 anos, n. Santa Cruz das Flores, f.ª de António
Joaquim de Carvalho, n. Bretanha, Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, e de
Maria de Jesus de Freitas, n. Santa Cruz das Flores].

João de Medeiros Coelho Ramos [20 anos, n. Santa Cruz das Flores, f.º
de João de Medeiros Barbosa, n. Relva, Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, e de
Mariana Jacinta, n. Santa Cruz das Flores] c. 1906.09.01 c. Maria José
Carvalho Medeiros [18 anos, f.ª de António Joaquim de Carvalho, n.
Pilar da Bretanha, Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, e de Maria de Jesus de
Freitas, n. Santa Cruz das Flores].

Eric Edgar

Researching Noia, Vieira, Rodrigues, Coelho from Flores

                    Soares, Silveira Soares, from Lajes, Pico

luiznoia .

Feb 22, 2015, 11:09:01 PM2/22/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/FLR-SC-SANTACRUZ-B-1881-1886/FLR-SC-SANTACRUZ-B-1881-1886_item1/P153.html

This link shows baptism record of Jose Carvalho from 26 Dec 1884 in Santa Cruz
It states his father is Antonio Joaquim de Carvalho  a native of _____? de Ajuda, Sao Miguel. It doesn't look like Fenais de Ajuda, might be Senhora de Ajuda

paterno is Jacinto Joaquim de Carvalho

The Carvalho family I worked on in the past is not from Flores after all , but Sao Jorge

Eric Edgar

JR

Feb 22, 2015, 11:32:38 PM2/22/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Senhora de Ajuda, has to Bretanha, Ajuda, where there are indeed many Carvalho's.

JR

Richard Francis Pimentel

Feb 23, 2015, 8:48:51 AM2/23/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Eric,

Do you have the parents of Antonio Joaquim Carvalho who was born in Bretanha?

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel

Epping, NH

luiznoia .

Feb 23, 2015, 5:29:58 PM2/23/15
to Azores Genealogy

Maria de Jose de Freitas's parents marriage records:

José Jacinto [22 anos, n. Conceição, Horta, f.º de Tomás José e de Maria Carolina]

 c. 1865.01.23 Santa Cruz das Flores

 c. Ana de Jesus [31 anos, f.ª de Manuel de Freitas Cardoso e de Teodora de Jesus].

José Jacinto Tomás [44 anos, n. Conceição, Horta, f.º de Tomás José e de Maria Carolina, e já v.º de Ana de Jesus]

 c. 1887.09.15  Sao Caetano , Lomba, Lajes de Flores

 c. Ana Úrsula do Coração de Jesus [41 anos, f.ª de António Caetano Martins e de Maria Úrsula, e já v.ª de Francisco José Filipe].

Using the age and parents names from the marriage record, a search at the NEPS site for Conceicao, Horta , Faial shows this family

Eric Edgar

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM, luiznoia . <nobla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Antonio and Maria's marriage record

António de Carvalho [25 anos, n. Ajuda da Bretanha, Ponta Delgada, São Miguel,
 f.º de Jacinto José de Carvalho e de Joaquina de Jesus]

 c. 1884.05.01 c. Maria José de Freitas [18 anos, n. Santa Cruz das Flores,

 f.ª de José Jacinto Tomás, n. Conceição, Horta, e de Ana de Jesus, n. Santa Cruz das Flores].

link to Antonio Carvalho's baptism, found using age from marriage record, and matching his father's name from

his son Jose's baptism record posted above

Antonio, son of Jacintho Jose  de Carvalho and Joaquina de Jesus

paternos- Antonio Joaquim de Carvalho, already deceased and Lucretia Umbelina

maternos- Jacintho Botelho and  Anna Joaquina

Eric Edgar

Richard Francis Pimentel

Feb 23, 2015, 6:52:15 PM2/23/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Bingo!

Antonio Joaquim de Carvalho is the older brother of my Great grandfather Manuel Joaquim de Carvalho b.18 Oct 1862 in Bretanha.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel

Epping, NH

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha, Achada Grande,  Bretanha, and Ponta Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores

.

Cheri Mello

Feb 24, 2015, 11:05:32 AM2/24/15
to Azores Genealogy
Repost for Annie Carvalho, anniesantiago13 at gmail.com
(Note: Because these were multiple messages sent within minutes of each other, they were being flagged as spam.  All responses are being placed into 1 message on the correct thread.  Thank yous were deleted).

Yes, Emma and her parents are full Azorian Portuguese. Their name was Tomas, and was changed to Thomas.
They were from the island of Pico.
Are you asking for dates for Emma and JJ Carvalho?
==============
John, did your uncle own a gas station in Hanford?
==============
Some of these names are very familiar.
I will look at this closely today.
==============
I was surprised the passport didn't have her birthdate on it.
Did you see it?
I knew she was born in Santa Cruz - that was a mistake on my part.
Thanks for catching it.
============
Eric, that Carvalho family from San Jorge may be my ex-husband's family.
I will contact him and let him know.
============
Is Bretanha, Ajuda a place?
I thought it was a family surname.
I found this name carved in the door at the Bishop's prison in St. Jean Pied de Port when I walked the Camino Santiago.
I have a photo.
I'll try to find it and post it.
============
Eric,
When you say "paterno" I'm not sure who this is?
==========
My grandmother is Maria de JESUS de Freitas, not Maria de Jose de Freitas.
Is this the same person?
Annie

luiznoia .

Feb 24, 2015, 4:05:38 PM2/24/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

The Carvalho family I worked on came in 1911 to Hawaii, then settled in the Niles, Alameda, California

The parish church for the freguisia of Bretanha in the concelho of Ponta Delgada, island of Sao Miguel is called Nossa Senhora de Ajuda, so the records read Ajuda de Bretanha

Nossa Senhora de Ajuda means Our Lady of Help ( or assistance). There is another freguisia in the neighboring concelho of Ribeira Grande called Fenais de Ajuda, so it's important to know which one to look in.

Paternos-  the father's parents,  Materno-the mother's parents

On differences in names in records- It's common that a persons baptism record, marriage (casamento), and death record (obito) are going to be written by different priests

The way they record the names does tend to change. In the marriage record, she was recorded  as Maria Jose de Freitas, yes, same person

The baptism record shows the given name at birth, but the middle name used later is often the confirmation name. The surname can be the father's, mother's , any of the

 grandparents, or a combination of those, and maybe an alcunha (nickname) added.

Eric Edgar

Annie Carvalho

Feb 24, 2015, 7:53:47 PM2/24/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

I want to be sure I understand you.

Are you saying this family you gave me information for is not my family?
Because the names and dates fit, but my family did NOT go to Hawaii, though I'm in contact with a good friend in Hawaii whose husband is a Carvalho.

And are you saying that
Maria de Jesus de Freitas and
Maria de Jose de Freitas are the same person because a different priest did the recording?

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it.
I figured out after a bit that the paternos and maternos were the grandparents.

Do you live in Flores? Because my Tio Alfredo just passed away there a few years ago and I still have a cousin, Joaquina, who lives there with her husband whose last name is Felix. I'm not sure what became of the house that Tio Alfredo lived in, but it is the same house his parents lived in and I have both an old photo of the house waaaaay back when and then a new photo I took when I was in the Azores a few years ago.

A photo of that house and of my grandfather and his family can be seen on my blog at this link:  Our Precious Past

Again, thank you for the information.
Annie

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

luiznoia .

Feb 24, 2015, 11:38:02 PM2/24/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

Yes a different Carvalho family.

The record that says Maria Jose de Freitas is the same person. It could be a transcription error by the archivist, or the way the priest wrote it.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My mom's family came from Flores and I have cousins raised there that are now in the US and Canada.

Eric

Annie Carvalho

Feb 25, 2015, 1:29:46 AM2/25/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I don't know.
I think this is my family.
The names are all family names.
The first names are right.
The dates and village are right.
If it is them, there will be 7 more children:

Edna Epps

Feb 25, 2015, 2:39:41 PM2/25/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I have been watching the postings on the Carvalho family from Flores and I also am very interested.  My Great Grandfather was named Manuel Crovel (Crovelle) here in USA, but I'm sure he was a Carvalho.  All the past records I've found show he was from Flores.  He apparently came to USA as a young man maybe 15 or 16 yrs on a whaling ship.  He ended up in California in 1867 and settled in Hawkinsville, Ca, which is near Yreka, Ca about 15 miles south of the Oregon border.  So far I have not been able to find out who his parents were or which village in Flores that he was from.   Family records show he was born about 1832 in Flores.  IF any of you have a "missing" Manuel from Flores, I'd be interested.  I have had DNA done on both myself, my brother, my son, so maybe I should look for connectiions with some of you there?  I haven't had a lot of time to look at or study all your Carvalho emails yet, but wanted to put in my 2 cents anyhow in hopes someone might know something.;)
Thanks..
Edna Lemos Epps
[ISAIAH 46:4   NIV]
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am
He who will sustain you.  I have made you and I will
carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

luiznoia .

Feb 25, 2015, 5:15:01 PM2/25/15
to Azores Genealogy
Edna,

I think it's a greater possibility that his name was originally Corvelo . It's more common in Flores

Eric Edgar

John Vasconcelos

Feb 25, 2015, 7:19:55 PM2/25/15
to azores
Eric, you took the words right out of my mouth. At an earlier time, it would have been spelled Corvello. I met a professor at Cal State LA whose name was Crovello and he said his ancestors were Italian.
John Vasconcelos
Feb 26, 2015, 12:48:31 AM2/26/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric, you are probably right.  Right now, I'm kind of hoping for of clue of anything that's close!;)

luiznoia .

Feb 26, 2015, 2:15:53 PM2/26/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

I saw this tree also. Some of the children here are documented, but others seem to be pasted on because the surname matches.

They need to be checked against the California death index and the CCA records for Santa Cruz Flores. Even a  shiplist of the collective family would help determine which belong.

Like this on from 1940- Maria J Freitas Carvalho arriving from Flores. It references two daughters- Ana Rodrigues Carvalho back in Sta Cruz, Flores and Christina CM Dias in Fresno

Eric Edgar

luiznoia .

Feb 26, 2015, 2:16:01 PM2/26/15
to Azores Genealogy

Cheri Mello

Feb 26, 2015, 4:31:44 PM2/26/15
to Azores Genealogy
Repost for Deborah or Annie Carvalho, anniesantiago13 at gmail.com

To my knowledge, my g-grandmother never visited except the time in 1952-1953 when I was a baby.
Perhaps her passport shows that trip, but I did  not see it and I have the passport.
Where do you see the tree attached to this record?
Deborah
==========
Yes, I have that.
It was sent to me in an earlier message.
I'm waiting to hear back from my cousin with an address for Joaquina, my cousin in Flores.
Thank you.
=============

luiznoia .

Feb 26, 2015, 5:28:39 PM2/26/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

I did not find this shiplist attached to  an Ancestry Tree. My experience with Ancestry is similar to the Familysearch trees, about 90% useless undocumented information, mostly referencing someone elses

undocumented tree

Eric

Richard Francis Pimentel

Feb 26, 2015, 7:08:45 PM2/26/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com

This would be the younger brother of Your G grandfather JJ Carvalho.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel

Epping, NH

Mar 2, 2015, 11:05:50 PM3/2/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Mar 3, 2015, 2:01:01 PM3/3/15
to Azores Genealogy
John,

Here is the entry on the Corvelo surname from the Pimentel Gomes book, A ilha das Flores: da redescoberta a' actualidade.

My interpetation:

The first of this surname in the Azores, living in Santa Maria, were the sons of Antonio Catalao, a Aragonese master ( in different passeges, Frutuoso calles him Valenciano, of Valencia and Aragon, and also of Catalonia) expert in the planting of sugar cane that the Infante Dom Henriques had sent to the island

The surname , which existed in Flores since the middle of the 1600s, came to the island with the descendents of Genes Corvelo and Francisco Corvelo, sons of the Catalan master " men of great manners, honor and generosity, of magnificent condidtion and great effort"

In Lajes, it is also known, there lived in the 17th century, Maria Corvela, married to Joao Rodrigues, parents of Antonio Corvelo, who married three times in Santa Cruz, the first of these in January of 1680. The daughter of Joao Rodrigues Corvelo , of Fajas, Barbara Corvelo, wed in Santa Cruz in April of 1688 to Sebastiao Pimentel.

By then , also living in Ponta Delgada, was Gaspar Rodrigues Corvelo, the father of Joao Rodrigues, who married there in 1675

Eric Edgar
corvelo.jpg

John Vasconcelos

Mar 3, 2015, 6:34:04 PM3/3/15
to azores
Eric,
The first couple of paragraphs  of that description were were confirmed by James Guill when I met with him between 15 and 20 years ago. He also told me that he had seen the original contract between Prince Henry and Antonio Catalão in the Portuguese Archives (Torre de Tombo?).
John Vasconcelos

Researching Vasconcelos, Freitas, Corvelo , Mendonça, Furtado de Mendonça Pimentel, Fraga, Coelho, Rodrigues, Gonçalves all from Flores

Annie Carvalho

Mar 4, 2015, 7:11:01 AM3/4/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry. I don't understand these messages.
I'm not sure what my family has to do with a contract.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

luiznoia .

Mar 4, 2015, 1:00:26 PM3/4/15
to Azores Genealogy
Annie,

The Corvelo information was started as a disambiguation after someone suggested Corvelo , Crivello and Carvalho might be of the same origin

Eric

Anthony Soares

Mar 6, 2015, 12:48:15 AM3/6/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
John,
 I wonder if it is possible to get a copy of this contract ? Have you ever looked into getting copies of documents from Torre de Tombo?
Tony