John Emmanuel Silva. Born 1837.

cari walker

May 27, 2014, 4:06:42 PM5/27/14
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Looking for details on John Emmauel Silva. Born Feb 1837. Tope, Saint Gorge, Azores. Can't locate any information past him. Any suggestions?

Cheri Mello

May 27, 2014, 4:15:15 PM5/27/14
to Azores Genealogy
Cari,

You need to try looking for a Joao born around Feb 1837 in Topo, Sao Jorge island.  Search all of 1837.  If that doesn't work, then try 1836 & 1838.  If that doesn't work, try 1835 & 1839.  If that doesn't work, look for more sources in your home country where you can get his birth date or approximate his age.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

cari walker

May 27, 2014, 4:18:40 PM5/27/14
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Where do I look? I am ancestry.com. Do I need to upgrade to their international one? Or is there others websites I can go to?

Cheri Mello

May 27, 2014, 4:57:27 PM5/27/14
to Azores Genealogy
Cari W,

Ancestry.com does not have Azorean records.  They are housed at the Centro do Conhecimento dos Azores (CCA).  But for navigation purposes, go through the Tombo.pt or the Azores Genweb.

Tombo.pt:  http://tombo.pt/f/cht03
Azores Genweb: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~azrwgw/saojorge.html

Both link you back to the CCA.

Adair Borba

Jun 2, 2014, 12:47:24 PM6/2/14
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cari,

Can you identify some of the people you have that surround John
Emmanuel? Wife, siblings, children etc? Did he migrate to the US?

Adair
> --
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group
> at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on
> the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit
> my membership."
> ---
> Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
> send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.

crwal...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2014, 2:15:51 PM6/2/14
to azo...@googlegroups.com
He migrated to US. Not sure when but i think it was in his 30's. Married Mary L gorham (1864-1902). Children were joseph, louisa, andrew, mary A l, frank, etta mae( my great great gma) rose, johnnie, lena, emma, charles, alice and mildred. He passed away 1943. Vallejo, ca. Might have also been married to a lady names Isabel (born about 1850)

Cari Walker
> ---You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

luiznoia .

Jun 3, 2014, 3:07:18 PM6/3/14
to Azores Genealogy
According to the California Great Registers of 1892 and 1896 , John Silva of Table Bluff, Humboldt County was naturailzed at Humboldt County on 6 August 1882. His age in 1892 is 50 yrs and in 1896 54 yrs

His marriage to Mary A Gorham took place on 23 July 1881 at Humboldt County.

Mary Silva died in 1902 and is burried in the at the Table Bluff cemetery.

I've seen 8 different Ancestry.com trees with this family. Most seemed to be citing the other as sources. The documents that they are citing do not back up the information.

For example marriage date of 23 Jul 1881 is citing the 1900 census as the source. The census states they have been married 7 years. This is a very common problem.

What is your source for John Silva using Emmanuel as Middle name? Some trees say V is the initial.

What source for Topo Sao Jorge as a birthplace? The CCA shows no one in the Topo baptisms for that person from Jan 1835 to Mar 1838

Eric Edgar

crwal...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2014, 4:18:13 PM6/3/14
to azo...@googlegroups.com
The location was on the other trees and the only thing I know for sure is that he was from the Azores (per my mother- she doesn't know much more because my grandmother never spoke about it-  my great grandparents were deaf and sent school of deaf at a young age). Not sure about specific island other than what the other trees had out down. Thanks so much.  Any other suggestions in how to locate more info?

Cari Walker

luiznoia .

Jun 3, 2014, 4:18:18 PM6/3/14
to Azores Genealogy
I think this is the John Silva from from Table Bluff Humboldt. Tells  me that after Mary Gorham Silva died in 1902, he went back home and got a new wife. Can't tell if they returned to Humboldt.

His daughter Rose married Benjamin Look and moved to Medford, OR where they're found on the 1910 census. Emma married a Nelson, Can't find a  clue on the rest of the family. Rose's 1955 obit shows 2 sisters in San Leandro.

Passport John Silva 1905.jpg

Cheri Mello

Jun 3, 2014, 4:20:33 PM6/3/14
to Azores Genealogy
Cari W,

A complete beginners guide with suggestions can be found on the Azores GenWeb here:
http://goo.gl/WqCZLe

luiznoia .

Jun 4, 2014, 6:56:22 PM6/4/14
to Azores Genealogy
This person is looking for the same family:

> Still looking for ggrandfather John, up in Humbolt Co. CA. His
> children; Anna Silva Rocha; Nellie (Etta) Silva Bush; Rosa Camille
> Silva Look; Johnnie R Silva; Emma Silva Nelson ( my grandmother);
> Alice Silva Cale; Mildred (Millie) Silva Cabral; Francis Silva. The
> first child was born in Aug 1882 and the last July 1902 when his
> mother died when he was a couple days old. Thier mother Mary Gorham
> was wiyot Indian and English.

No link on the post was active

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM, luiznoia . <nobla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Half knowing who your looking for is knowing who they are not. This is from Humboldt County Biographies, and should rule out this John Silva

JOHN P. SILVA.—A native of the Azores Islands, where he was born on February 25, 1855, in the city of Topo, St. George, John P. Silva is the son of Joseph F., a farmer and native of that place, and Mary (San Jose) Silva, both of whom died at their old home. Of the family of nine children, John P. was the youngest, and grew up like other farmers' boys of the locality, receiving his education in the local public schools. At the age of eighteen years he left home, coming to the United States in 1873, and stopping first at New Bedford, Mass., later securing employment in the brickyards of Taunton, Mass., and also on a farm near there, and in cotton factories in New Bedford. After five years spent in these varied employments, Mr. Silva returned to St. George for a visit to his home, remaining there a year, and meanwhile, in May, 1880, marrying Miss Henrietta C. Machado, who was born in the city of Calheta, St. George, the daughter of Antone and Firmina (Olivera) Machado, natives of that place. The bride's father had been a sailor from boyhood, having sailed all over the world and risen to the rank of master in the whaling industry. During the gold excitement in California, as master of a vessel he brought the first lumber from New England around Cape Horn to San Francisco, with which the first wooden house in that city was built, and after coming to California he gave up his ship and engaged in mining, in which he was quite successful, returning afterward to his home at St. George. He made trips thereafter to New Bedford on his vessel with his wife and little daughter, who later became Mrs. Silva, and after living in the Massachusetts town, returned to his old .home on account of poor health, and died there six months later. His wife remained with her daughter, Mrs. Silva, and accompanied her to California, where she spent her last days, her death taking place in Arcata, in 1911, she being then seventy-four years old. Mrs. Silva has an older brother, Joseph Machado, of New Bedford, who is captain of his own vessel, as was his father.

Soon after their marriage in New Bedford, Mr. and Mrs. Silva removed to California, where Mr. Silva for a year followed mining on Cherokee Flats, then coming to Humboldt county in 1881, finding employment there on farms and dairies. By the year 1887 he had saved enough money to permit of his starting in business for himself, and he accordingly leased a ranch of eight hundred acres on Bear river ridge, where he conducted a dairy of sixty cows, panning the milk and skimming by hand, the churning being done by horse power. The butter was taken to Scotia and sold to the Pacific Lumber Company's stores. After continuing in this business for a year, Mr. Silva sold the business and leased a dairy at Rio Dell, consisting of forty cows, selling his milk and butter at Scotia. A year later he removed to Walker's point, where he ran a dairy for a year, at the end of that time removing to Lake Prairie, where he operated a dairy of thirty-five cows and raised cattle and hogs. While living at this place Mrs. Silva with her mother and child returned to her home in the Azores in order to sell their property there and locate permanently in California, and during her absence Mr. Silva leased a dairy ranch at Bald Mountain of eleven hundred acres, remaining there a year. He was also interested in the building of a creamery at Bayside, of which for three years he acted as first manager. His present place, consisting of twenty-two acres at Arcata, was then purchased, where he built a creamery, operating Ihe same for three years before selling it and purchasing the Rosson ranch of twelve hundred acres at Bald Mountain, where for seven years he engaged in stock-raising and dairy farming, then renting the place, which has since been leased for a dairy and stock ranch. Mr. Silva now makes his home at Arcata, where, with Mr. Olivera, he has a small dairy, likewise leasing the Walker point ranch of two hundred acres, where the partners conduct a dairy consisting of fifty cows. At his Arcata ranch Mr. Silva has a fine residence, as well as commodious barns in connection with his dairy industry. He is the father of ten children, of whom only three are at present living, namely : Helena, now Mrs. McKinzie, of Arcata; Firmina and Leo, who are at home with their parents ; the elder seven children who are deceased being by name as follows : Mary, who died at the age of sixteen years ; Henry, who died at three months ; Antonio, who died at seven months ; Manuel, who died at two years ; Henry, who died at six years of age ; Arthur, who died at four years ; and Joseph, who died at three years. Mr. Silva is a Republican in politics, and in fraternal circles a member of the I. D. E. S. at Arcata ; his wife being a member of the S. P. R. S. I., Consul Azores No. 97, at Arcata, of which she is ex-president. A cultured and refined woman, Mrs. Silva is also an able and practical helpmeet to her husband, who by his enterprising and progressive spirit has made for himself a name that is highly respected in the community where he resides.

crwal...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2014, 12:25:43 AM6/5/14
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Etta Bush is my great great grandma. She had a daughter (violet bush /1908-1995)  who was my great grandma and my grandmother was lois rickard.

Cari Walker
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

luiznoia .

Jun 5, 2014, 9:27:55 PM6/5/14
to Azores Genealogy
Cari,

If you compare the staments about John Silva's grandson being instructed to give the lands to the Wiyots in event of his death, it's clear the information is poorly researched.

The grandson, Henry Look was born in 1908, so if John Silva died 1905-1908, this is ruled out.

Eric

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM, luiznoia . <nobla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cari,

This is from B. Clay Shannon's book, Still casting Shadows.

I believe that while he has stated there is confusion about the John P Silva also local, he has perpetuated the confusion by showing the birthplace as Topo, Sao Jorge.

Eric

luiznoia .