Make forum instead of Google Group

Klaus

Jun 12, 2018, 9:55:02 AM6/12/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I read this topic and have one question.

Why the MLO team do not create the English-language MLO forum instead of this obsolete Google Group? I dont' think that this is a difficult task. I am currently using Russian-language MLO forum and can say that it is much more comfortable than this Google Group and never has any delays with posts. The other huge disadvantage of this Google Group is that there is no subsections for Windows MLO, Android MLO and iOS MLO, MLO cloud, developer updates, etc. Here all the messages are in one section and it's really ugly.

I know that there was discussion about that 8 years ago but I think the things has changed since that time (because there was no Android and iOS versions, MLO cloud and other things that require separate section). On the modern forums you can subscribe to any section if you wish (directly using forum features or using RSS) and make many other nice things (member groups, reputation, likes, etc.).

So what do you think about it? Maybe we should make some sort of poll about that?

Darryl Brooks

Jun 12, 2018, 4:36:41 PM6/12/18
to MyLifeOrganized
 I appreciate the support to my thread, and I agree with all you wrote, but with the limited staff, I would prefer they keep working on the product first, documentation second, and forum support third.

gno...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2018, 7:22:04 AM6/13/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Great idea! I would love a Discourse-forum!

imajeff

Jun 13, 2018, 9:03:22 AM6/13/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Ok I think the first step would be you create the group (I like Discourse), as an unofficial thing. Then if it gets organized and looks good it will be easier to convince the official MLO people to start using it.

Christoph Zwerschke

Jun 13, 2018, 1:51:54 PM6/13/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.06.2018 um 15:03 schrieb imajeff:
> Ok I think the first step would be you create the group (I like
> Discourse), as an unofficial thing. Then if it gets organized and
> looks good it will be easier to convince the official MLO people to
> start using it.

First you need to convince the users of this forum that it's really
worthwhile to switch. Not everybody likes forums. Google groups have
many advantages over forums, e.g. they are free, reliable,
well-archived, you can subscribe via mail, using them like a mailing
list. Personally I only use forums that I can subscribe to via mail or
RSS feed. Of course you can create an additional forum, but then the
community would be split which is also not so helpful.

-- Christoph

imajeff

Jun 13, 2018, 6:43:57 PM6/13/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Sir you said "advantages over forums", then you listed only things that are also true about modern forums.

Now you say it would split us to make the forum. How many active users do you think there are here? If we got half, say 3 users moving to the forum, that would be insignificant compared to the 100s that are only not here because you are limited to a mailing list. Well they might be not buying new MLO for the same reason as me, it's just not updating enough to the current way we use Internet. Need to change so we can use it again! Well my MLO 2.0.0 still works fine. I was here back when Windows PDA were all the buzz, and they had not released 2.0.0 yet so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about here.

Joel

Jun 15, 2018, 2:11:42 AM6/15/18
to MyLifeOrganized
imajeff, are you still using version 2? Just curious.

Joel

Jeff Smith

Jun 15, 2018, 2:18:46 AM6/15/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Yes it's amazed me how useful v2 has still been. I'm running mostly on Windows 7.

I admit there has been some important features though since then but more that I've always needed that still is waiting.