tuberculosis

William Flynn Wallace

Jun 2, 2023, 4:52:23 PM6/2/23
to ExI chat list, extro...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you have seen the story:  they finally caught up with a women who has acuteTB and has refused treatment.  She was jailed for 45 days.

I will assume, awaiting your comments, that this is wrong according to libertarian principles which include not being a harm to others.

But should she be held down and antibiotics forced on her?

bill w

John Clark

Jun 3, 2023, 8:06:33 AM6/3/23
to extro...@googlegroups.com, ExI chat list
On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 4:52 PM William Flynn Wallace <fooz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps you have seen the story:  they finally caught up with a women who has acuteTB and has refused treatment.  She was jailed for 45 days. I will assume, awaiting your comments, that this is wrong according to libertarian principles which include not being a harm to others. But should she be held down and antibiotics forced on her?

I don't know the details of the story you're referring to but it sounds like a modern day version of Typhoid Mary. In general I think it makes a big difference if the disease in question is contagious or not. If the disease is not contagious then she certainly should NOT be forced to take the cure. But if it is contagious, as tuberculosis is, then the answer is more complicated. If she has the financial resources to put herself in isolation for the rest of her life then she should not be forced to take the cure, but if she does not have that much money then other people should not be forced to pay the cash needed in order to keep a fool safe. So she should be given a choice, either take an injection of penicillin or take an injection of cyanide.

John K Clark

William Flynn Wallace

Jun 3, 2023, 8:26:47 AM6/3/23
to extro...@googlegroups.com, ExI chat list
Does anyone know if walking around in public with a deadly and infectious disease is illegal?  If not, how can they hold her in jail?  bill w

John Clark

Jun 3, 2023, 8:31:55 AM6/3/23
On Sat, Jun 3, 2023 at 8:26 AM William Flynn Wallace <fooz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if walking around in public with a deadly and infectious disease is illegal?  If not, how can they hold her in jail?  bill w

I'm not a lawyer, thank goodness, but if the law says it's legal for somebody to walk around with a deadly infectious disease then the law is an ass.

tv3

Stuart LaForge

Jun 5, 2023, 3:09:38 PM6/5/23
to ExI chat list, extro...@googlegroups.com
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/is-it-a-crime-to-intentionally-get-someone-sick.html

If she knows she has a serious communicable disease and she spreads it
intentionally or recklessly, then yes. Intentional or reckless
behavior that spreads a disease with serious public health
consequences—such as HIV, SARS, Ebola, or COVID-19—can result in
criminal charges.

Stuart LaForge

Quoting William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat