Re: [crux-users] Crux PSM search identify very few PSM with q<=0.01

William S Noble

Sep 18, 2020, 11:12:13 AM9/18/20
to Sangeetha R, crux-users
Hi Sangeetha,

The Tide search engine does not automatically assign confidence estimates (i.e., q-values) to the PSMs it produces.  Not only does your search output not contain PSMs with q-values < 0.01; it does not contain q-values at all. You need to carry out an additional analysis step to do this, either by using the assign-confidence command (to simply apply target-decoy competition) or percolator (to use a machine learning approach).

Cheers.
Bill

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 2:27 AM Sangeetha R <rsang...@cusat.ac.in> wrote:
Dear Professors,

I am a beginner in using the crux software. I have tried running the tide- search to extract all peptide spectrum matches. From the resulting xcorr score, when I calculate the number of PSM with a q-value threshold of 0.01, I am getting very few PSMs around 10. I doubted whether I have some mistakes in querying.

.raw file converted to mzxml file using msconvert tool (CID, MS2, CST peak picking parameters

Crux commands used:
crux tide-index --decoy-format shuffle --enzyme trypsin --max-length 21 --clip-nterm-methionine T --mods-spec C+57.02146 yeast.fasta yeast_ind

crux tide-search --max-precursor-charge 3 --pepxml-output T --file-column T --top-match 1 --concat T --precursor-window 1 --precursor-window-type mass --remove-precursor-peak T B01a_130417_Yeast_long.mzXML yeast_ind

Why I am getting very few PSM with q value threshold of 0.01.

Message has been deleted

Sangeetha R

Sep 18, 2020, 12:52:50 PM9/18/20
to crux-users
I have separately calculated the q-value for each PSM using xcorr score and target/decoy assignment in search result.

William S Noble

Sep 18, 2020, 1:04:18 PM9/18/20
to Sangeetha R, crux-users
On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 9:57 AM Sangeetha R <rsang...@cusat.ac.in> wrote:
I have separately calculated the q-value for each PSM using xcorr score and target/decoy assignment in search result.

OK, then your results should agree with what you get by running assign-confidence on your Tide output file. Can you verify this and send me the log file?

Bill

Sangeetha R

Sep 18, 2020, 1:21:09 PM9/18/20
to crux-users
While running the assign-confidence on tide search result, the minimum q-value obtained is 0.08. Please see the attachment for the log file.

Query used:
crux assign-confidence --score "xcorr score" tide-search.txt

assign-confidence.log.txt

Sangeetha R

Sep 19, 2020, 1:03:14 AM9/19/20
to crux-users
Dear Team,

Please help to identify the issue,  why I am getting zero PSMs with q-value threshold of 0.01 in tide-search?

I have tried using another yeast dataset given in 'http://noble.gs.washington.edu/proj/exact-pvalue'  as well. For this dataset also, I am getting zero PSM with a q- value threshold of 0.01. The query used is given below. The log files of tide-search and assign confidence is attached.

crux tide-index --decoy-format shuffle --enzyme trypsin --max-length 21 yeast.fasta yeast_ind

crux tide-search --max-precursor-charge 3 --pepxml-output T --file-column T --top-match 1 --concat T --precursor-window 3 --precursor-window-type mass --remove-precursor-peak T yeast-01.ms2 yeast_ind --output-dir crux

crux assign-confidence --score "xcorr score" tide-search.txt --output-dir crux

 ( Parameters include fully tryptic peptides of maximum length 21, Precursor mass tolerance of +-3Da, maximum precursor charge +3, extracted top-scored peptide from target+decoy search. )

William S Noble

Sep 19, 2020, 2:40:07 PM9/19/20
to Sangeetha R, crux-users
The problem appears to be that this is old data with low-resolution fragmentation spectra. Hence, rather than the default mz-bin-width of 0.02, you should use something like the 1.0005079:

--mz-bin-width <float> – Before calculation of the XCorr score, the m/z axes of the observed and theoretical spectra are discretized. This parameter specifies the size of each bin. The exact formula for computing the discretized m/z value is floor((x/mz-bin-width) + 1.0 - mz-bin-offset), where x is the observed m/z value. For low resolution ion trap ms/ms data 1.0005079 and for high resolution ms/ms 0.02 is recommended. Default = 0.02.

With this fix, I get 7962 PSMs at 1% FDR for the yeast data set.  The script I ran is attached, along with the log files.

Cheers.
Bill

tide-index.log.txt
runall
assign-confidence.log.txt
tide-search.log.txt

Sangeetha R

Sep 20, 2020, 8:15:22 AM9/20/20
to crux-users
That really helped me. Thanks a lot for the response.
The issue got solved now.