Fwd: identifiers.org vs purl.org

Nicolas Le Novere

Nov 19, 2021, 1:19:17 PM11/19/21
to combine...@googlegroups.com
Cf. discussion below.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: identifiers.org vs purl.org
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 15:04:46 -0300
From: 'GONZALO VIDAL PENA' via SBOL Developers <sbol...@googlegroups.com>
To: sbol...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bryan,

I don't know when this decision was taken, but reading both sites it seems like identifiers.org <http://identifiers.org> is more oriented to life science data and purl.org <http://purl.org> is a more general platform.

Maybe someone else can bring more information about this. I looked at the SBOL3.0.1 spec but could not find it, in the meantime I will look into SEPs (this may be slow).

Kind regards,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 1:14 PM Bryan Bartley <bart...@sbolstandard.org <mailto:bart...@sbolstandard.org>> wrote:

Hi devs,

Long time, no see!

I just was wondering if anyone recalls the rationale for why we standardize SBOL URIs on the identifiers.org <http://identifiers.org> namespace vs. purl.org <http://purl.org> namespace?

From what I understand, both provide a persistent URI that can be redirected to point to different URLs.  So, was there a particular advantage to standardizing on identifiers.org <http://identifiers.org> over purl.org <http://purl.org>?

Thank you!
Bryan

Gonzalo Vidal
Synthetic Biologist
Gonza10V <https://github.com/Gonza10V>
Biological and Medical Engineering PhD candidate
Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering <https://ingenieriabiologicaymedica.uc.cl/en/>
IIBMer <https://iibmers.org/>

Tung V. N. Nguyen

Nov 19, 2021, 5:44:14 PM11/19/21
to n.len...@gmail.com, combine...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for forwarding the discussion.

Coincidentally, we have discussed how to build URI-based formats for the items in manifest.xml when creating OMEX files in BioModels. I proposed IANA.ORG-based URIs as the alternatives of PURL.ORG which are currently unresolvable. However, some of us have been recently moving with EDAM (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/ols/ontologies/edam) that is likely relevant to life sciences data than the two former resources. While waiting for the approval of new terms/vocabularies suggested and raised by Jonathan's group, we still go with PURL.ORG legacy.

Going with EDAM, we mostly standardise URIs-like formats on identifiers.org. It will be consistent with COMBINE standards that have been resolved properly so far with identifiers.org.

Hope this helps give more information about the move.

Best regards,
TN

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "COMBINE discussions" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/combine-discuss/277c76fb-3b7c-29a2-9892-fa5937216b79%40gmail.com.