identifiers.org vs purl.org

Bryan Bartley

Nov 19, 2021, 11:14:45 AM11/19/21
to sbol...@googlegroups.com
Hi devs,

Long time, no see!

I just was wondering if anyone recalls the rationale for why we standardize SBOL URIs on the identifiers.org namespace vs. purl.org namespace?

From what I understand, both provide a persistent URI that can be redirected to point to different URLs.  So, was there a particular advantage to standardizing on identifiers.org over purl.org?

Thank you!
Bryan

GONZALO VIDAL PENA

Nov 19, 2021, 1:05:00 PM11/19/21
to sbol...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan,

I don't know when this decision was taken, but reading both sites it seems like identifiers.org is more oriented to life science data and purl.org is a more general platform.

Maybe someone else can bring more information about this. I looked at the SBOL3.0.1 spec but could not find it, in the meantime I will look into SEPs (this may be slow).

Kind regards,

Gonzalo Vidal
Synthetic Biologist
Gonza10V
Biological and Medical Engineering PhD candidate

Chris Myers

Nov 19, 2021, 8:46:01 PM11/19/21
to 'Aaron ADLER' via SBOL Developers
Hi,

I believe we made this decision due to the fact that all other efforts in the COMBINE community utilize identifiers.org as a stable provider of URIs.  It is also a resource that is maintained within the COMBINE community, so it provides a resource that we would have more direct input on.

Best wishes,
Chris

Jonathan Karr

Nov 20, 2021, 9:05:13 AM11/20/21
to sbol...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think Gonzalo nicely summarized the difference. Furthermore, it's easy to request additional namespaces. Namespaces aren't limited to biology.  In my experience, they're typically approved within a week or two.

Regards,
Jonathan

Bryan Bartley

Nov 22, 2021, 11:13:14 AM11/22/21
to sbol...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, all.

I recommend capturing some of this context for posterity. I know it is a question that others have asked before, too.  So, I'm going to file an issue on the specification tracker

I bring up the question now, because I have noticed that the ontology lookup services return purl identifiers. On the other hand, since COMBINE is using identifiers.org, it makes sense that we would use identifiers.org to make integration within the COMBINE standards easier.

Thanks
Bryan