The First Three '67 G.T. 500 Cars (Serialized and Built)

Visto 2.467 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Brian Styles

no leída,
28 oct 2019, 12:07:3728/10/19
a shelbyr...@googlegroups.com

The First Three G.T. 500 Cars (Serialized and Built)

After compiling and comparing the Shelby American Production Orders, Ford's Domestic Special Order (DSO) forms, and Ford vehicle computer records, we learned that the first three 'production' G.T. 500 cars weren't just similar -- they were, in fact, ordered identically (except for the body style) and were likely planned for the same purpose.

All three were painted red and fully-optioned, including the 428 SI engine +$200, automatic transmission +50, air conditioning +$356, tinted glass +30, California emissions $45, AM Radio $57, and Deluxe wheels $185. That’s an extra $923 (retail) in comfort and aesthetics which likely indicates all these cars’ were intended to be used as advertising and/or public relations vehicles.

The San Jose assembly plant expedited and built the fastback first, followed by the Coupe and then the Convertible.

All three cars were almost assigned to the Metuchen assembly plant and we're not sure why.

Ford Motor Company Records

Coupe

Fastback

Convertible

DSO Number 1

2504

2511

2512

District Item Number

3000

3001

3002

Model (Serial) Body Style

65 (01)

Coupe

63 (02)

Fastback

76 (03)

Convertible

'Package' Originally Ordered 2

413H

413F

413C

'Package' Delivered 3

413H

411F

413C

Engine 4

8-Cylinder "Ford Cobra" 8V Carb.

(or as it was referred to on the SVOs, the “428 Special Interceptor”)

Transmission

C-6 Automatic - Special Calibration and

GTA Shift Pattern with "Lockout" Quadrant

('Customer Supplied')

Core Options

Air Conditioning and Exhaust Emissions Control System 3

Other Options

Power Steering, Power Front Disc Brakes, Courtesy Light Group, AM Radio, Interior Décor Group, Tinted Glass, Deluxe Seat Belts.

(the Fastback also received a fold-down rear seat)

Wheels & Tires 5

15" Kelsey-Hayes MagStar Wheels

Goodyear E-70-15 Bias-Ply Tires

(wheels, lug nuts & tires were 'Customer Supplied')

Rear Axle Ratio 5

3.25:1

Paint Code / Color 6

#2008 / T / "Candyapple Red"

Interior 7

6A - Black Vinyl Luxury Bucket (Décor)

Assembly Plant

San Jose, California

DSO - Date Typed

Aug. 10, 1966

Aug. 10, 1966

Aug. 09, 1966

DSO - Date Approved

Aug. 10, 1966

Aug. 11, 1966

Aug. 11, 1966

DSO - [Received] Stamp

Aug. 15, 1966

Aug. 12, 1966

Aug. 12, 1966

Data-Entry to Ford Computer Sys.

Aug. 16, 1966

Aug. 15, 1966

Aug. 16, 1966

Serialized

Nov. 02, 1966

Nov. 01, 1966

Nov. 01, 1966

Scheduled for Build

Nov. 14, 1966

Nov. 25, 1966

Nov. 14, 1966

Actually Built

Nov. 08, 1966

Nov. 07, 1966

Nov. 21, 1966

Released

Nov. 10, 1966

Nov. 08, 1966

Nov. 25, 1966

Invoice Date

Nov. 10, 1966

Nov. 09, 1966

Nov. 19, 1966

Ford Serial Number (VIN) 8

7R01S133xxx

7R02S132xxx

7R03S133xxx

Shelby American Records

Coupe

Fastback

Convertible

Production Order Date

Dec. 07, 1966 Completed

Nov. 10, 1966 Received

Dec. 07, 1966 Completed

Designation on Production Order

Co Car  - Engineering Proto

Co Car -

PR Service

Co Car  -

Engineering Proto

Options (per Shelby VIN) 3

Air/Con

Air/Con

Air/Con & EECS

Cost from FoMoCo (Mar.31, 1967)

$2,711.12

$2,861.99

$2,645.11

Assigned Value (Jul.31, 1967)

$3,318.84

$4,207.83

$4,249.76

Cost-to-Value Delta

18.3%

31.9%

37.8%

Shelby American Serial (VIN) 3

67411H9A00131

67411F9--0100

67413C9A00139

California Inventory Number 9

061

? (maybe 059 or 100)

062

Ionia Inventory Number

67ST103

67ST109

?

SAI Disposition Notes

"remain in CA"

"disposal"

"disposal"

Actual Disposition

All three (3) were eventually sent to Ionia, MI and further used for engineering and/or marketing purposes. Once the '69 program was in full-swing, all three received full-production '68 livery and were sold-off to the public as used cars.

Current Photos (2018)

The fourth G.T. 500 built by San Jose was a 4-speed Fastback:

  • 67400F7A00171, Lime Gold, DSO 2528, built on Nov-30, 1966, released on Dec-03

Seven (7) G.T. 500 cars were built by San Jose the next day making it impossible to determine which one was completed 5th, 6th, 7th ... or 11th.  The G.T. 500 cars built on December 1, 1966 include (in numerical order): 0164, 0167, 0173, 0180, 0182, 0183 and 0185.

Footnotes:

1. Other than DSO 2505 for one hundred G.T. 350 'showing cars,' the rest of the pre-production orders were dedicated to one car each and placed between Aug. 8th-10th, 1966, including 2504, 2511 & 2512. Of the three cars listed in the table above, the coupe has the lowest item number; the convertible's DSO form was typed first; the fastback was serialized and finished first.

2. Shelby created "Package Codes" to designate the core build of the cars they were ordering from Ford. For example, a "200F" package would be a GT350 4-speed fastback; a 411F would be a GT500 automatic fastback with AC. Shelby invested the effort to create 48 different package codes (16 for fastbacks, 16 for coupes and 16 for convertibles), further evidencing their intention to offer more than one body style for '67.

3. Ford records (DSO and Marti Report) indicate that all three cars (#0100, #0131, #0139) were originally ordered with the Exhaust Emissions Control System (EECS). A FoMoCo Change Notice, dated Aug.10, 1966, was issued to delete the EECS from DSO 2511 (#0100 - the Fastback). This deletion appears confirmed by #0100's Shelby VIN. The Shelby VIN for #0131 (the Coupe) indicates no EECS, however, the Ford records indicate the coupe was built with EECS, and furthermore, a vintage photo indicates remnants of the EECS in #0131's engine bay. Also worth noting is that the Coupe #0131 never actually had a Shelby American VIN plate riveted atop the Ford VIN on the inner fender.

4. Engine Code: 1967 Shelby big blocks were all coded with an "S" in the Ford computer record which would normally denote a Special 390 GT, however, these cars left the factory with the FE-based 428cid 2x4bbl "Special Interceptor." This information is verified both by the DSOs, Memos, SVOs, Ford vehicle records, and the Ford Invoices to SAI for each car.

5. Rear axle ratio, wheels/tires (and engine code as mentioned above) are some of the options that are not accurately represented in the Ford computer record as compared to the way the car was actually ordered and built (per the DSO).

6. The first three G.T. 500 cars were also the first three 1967 'production' Shelby G.T. cars to be painted red. The next (4th) red G.T. was not built until February 8, 1967 by Ford San Jose (and not finished by Shelby American Inc until April 12, 1967). Did you know that the red paint color was almost not offered?

7. All cars on DSOs 2501-2512 were ordered with the performance-themed 5A Black Knitted Vinyl Luxury Bucket trim. It appears this 5A material was not available at the start of production, so ‘early’ cars, up to DSOs 2501-2527, received the 6A smooth vinyl (black).

8. Actual 'hidden' Ford VINs will not be published, however, we can confirm that the sequence in which the Ford serial numbers were assigned to these cars was: 1) Fastback, 2) Convertible and 3) Coupe. This is not the sequence in which they were actually built.

9. Company Car numbers appear to be another form of asset tracking that was implemented by FoMoCo when the took over Shelby American, circa April-June 1967.

See Also:

Brian Styles

no leída,
9 abr 2020, 12:11:129/4/20
a 1967 Shelby Research Group

Further demonstrating the familial relationship of the first three production G.T. 500 cars, we've put together their Production orders as an single exhibit.

First three Shelby GT500 Prod Orders Combined.jpg

Eric Johnson

no leída,
9 abr 2020, 19:55:559/4/20
a 1967 Shelby Research Group
Hello Brian,

If 0131 was ordered and built as a 413 code, why does it's P.O. and other SAI documents call it a 411 code?  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Eric

Brian Styles

no leída,
10 abr 2020, 0:46:2610/4/20
a shelbyr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

As you know, all three cars were ordered identically. All were ordered as 413 packages.

We found a Change Notice for your car #0100 deleting the Exhaust Emissions Control System (EECS), and it's my belief that was to expedite it's build and get it to Shelby for PR use as quickly as possible.

There was no Change Notice for #0131 found on the microfilm. If ordered with EECS, it should have received EECS. The Ford computer record (Marti) states the car had EECS (although, as you know, the Ford record is NOT devoid of errors, either.  -- case and point #0100's record shows EECS, yet that is in conflict with the change notice, and the earliest pictures of your car have no evidence of EECs in the engine bay).

Evidence-wise on #0131, Jason Billups found two (2) punched holes on the forward side of the passenger shock tower.
We assume these holes were used to attach the EECS valve or canister (a slightly different mounting method than the single punched hole used by #139's valve bracket).

It is possible that none of the three cars received EECS at Ford, and that it was only added later, at Shelby American.
That could explain why they were almost built at the Metuchen plant rather than San Jose and then could explain why "ENG" was added to their Shelby VIN plates -- as a precaution to appease the strict California emissions regulatory body.
This was Randy Gillis' theory which is included in this thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/shelbyresearch/TmQ_ROmy1DQ/OFo4xqWjBwAJ

Eric Johnson

no leída,
10 abr 2020, 11:35:2710/4/20
a 1967 Shelby Research Group
Hello Brian,

Thanks for the additional information.  So, it appears the 411 code on the P.O. and other SAI documents can be attributed to data entry errors.  Have you found other data entry errors in your research?

Eric

Brian Styles

no leída,
10 abr 2020, 12:18:1210/4/20
a shelbyr...@googlegroups.com
Yes Eric.

We've found multiple errors in the Shelby record, including mis-stamped VIN plates, and also errors in the Ford record.

We continue to work closely with Dave Mathews and he is aware of all the Shelby errors we've found. In fact, we're still working on resolving the remaining DSO paint color discrepancies at this time.

Unfortunately, attempts to resolve the Ford record discrepancies have NOT been met with the same willingness to document, acknowledge and resolve them.

taylorscars

no leída,
11 abr 2020, 21:04:3611/4/20
a 1967 Shelby Research Group

[,m noy sure on all of the ford records but I own 1968 gt 500 conv red 4 spd 00038. made in late nov and occurding to the Shelby registery it is nthe 3 rd conv made. 00036 is the n1st in almira ny,  it is green, and no 00037 is red in geletto ca.

Brian Styles

no leída,
12 abr 2020, 11:16:4712/4/20
a shelbyr...@googlegroups.com
TaylorsCars --

Our knowledge is mostly focused on the 1967 model-year Shelby G.T. vehicles made by Shelby American. Inc.

That said, when counting all Shelby G.T. convertibles:
  • There were four (4) Shelby G.T. 350 convertibles built at the end of 1966 production (Shelby American).
  • One (1) was Shelby G.T. 500 convertible built at the start of 1967 production (Shelby American).
  • and then in 1968 everyone who wanted one could get one after Ford took over -- a Shelby Cobra G.T. (Shelby Automotive).
If your car was the 3rd '68 convertible built (based off actual Ford production date) that would make it the 8th overall, in the history of all Shelby G.T. convertibles.

A great resource for the 1968 Shelby G.T. models built by the Shelby Automotive Company is Pete Disher's TheCoralSnake.com website.
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos