Most 'Expedited' '67 GT by San Jose?

Brian Styles

Nov 8, 2018, 6:23:16 PM11/8/18
to shelbyr...@googlegroups.com
This information is not conclusive -- it's only based on the Marti reports we've been forwarded so far (and that only adds up to about 10% of the total quantity built)

At this point, based on the data that we have, car #0100 (the first GT 500 serialized and built) appears to be the 'most expedited' 1967 Shelby GT built at the San Jose assembly plant.

#0100 was built 18 days ahead of schedule. 18 days ahead of schedule is the greatest delta I've found so far.  Other cars were built ahead of schedule, but nothing close to that 18 days. So far, I think next closest delta is 8 days ahead of schedule for a car.

This certainly leads us to believe that #0100 was very specifically expedited at San Jose to serve a purpose for Shelby, and we all would probably agree that this was all about timing -- timing to get the car tested and in print as quickly as possible by the trade publications.

Also worth noting is that #0100 was originally ordered with the California-required Exhaust Emissions Control System (EECS). The EECS was deleted from the build via DSO Change Notice. This was most likely done to expedite the order to get the car into the hands of the magazine road testers as quick as possible.

If anyone that has a Marti report for a car that was built more than 18 days ahead of schedule, We'd appreciate learning more about it.

See Also:

Eric Johnson

Nov 9, 2018, 1:32:27 PM11/9/18
to 1967 Shelby American Research & History
Hello Brian,

Thanks for this new information about 0100.  I certainly agree with your assessment regarding why the car would have been expedited by the San Jose plant.  I also believe that 0100 was the only "production" GT500 completed at SA during the month of November 1966.

Best regards,
Eric

Brian Styles

Nov 9, 2018, 6:49:40 PM11/9/18
to shelbyr...@googlegroups.com
It appears that #0100 was the only G.T. 500 'completed' by SAI in November 1966; it was rushed by Ford and I'm sure it was rushed to the front of the line at SAI.

Though #0131 was technically built by Ford San Jose early enough that it could have been finished in November, it's likely that #0131 was delayed and waited for #0139 and both were 'completed' at the same time since they both would have been fitted with identical deck lids and quarter extensions.

Eric Johnson

Nov 10, 2018, 11:47:23 AM11/10/18
to 1967 Shelby American Research & History
Hello Brian,

I agree with your thoughts on 0131 and 0139.  The production order for 0100 is dated 11/10/66, 52 years ago today.  Kind of neat to be talking about this subject at this time.

Best regards,
Eric