읽지 않은 첫 메시지로 건너뛰기

Kelly

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 1:04:3012. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ok so I've got SON28 on the Bombadil, AHH and my wifes  Atlantis.  I have a Shimano 3n80 on my Quickbeam.  I can notice a difference in drag between the SON28 and 3N80 though negligible.   I was looking around after purchasing a 68 cm RAM for a something but didn't want to shell out the big bucks for the SON28.  Thought about not even having a Dyno hub for it.  Then I ran across the SP Dynamo and it's big claims.  I ordered one for about 130 bucks.   I purchased a SD-8 non switchable.  There is rumors that this company makes the Supernova hub as well though I have no documentation or proof.. just spreading the rumor.  It also has the same connector as the Shimano.

Well I built the wheel last night then today took the wheel off the AHH and  road the SP with light off then on and at speed.  Took it off and road the SON28.  The only difference I could discern was the SP didn't have the vibration the SON28 did / all of my SON28's have at particular speeds.. usually around 20ish mph and doesn't last long.  I was unable to determine by ride if it has any more or less drag than the SON28 it felt the same.   It's also smaller and lighter than the SON28 but I couldn't tell that from riding either.  Overall my first impressions are that this is a viable alternative to the SON at 1/2 the price.   Guess time will tell how it's longevity is.

Here are some photos... not good ones but photos anyway.

Kelly

charlie

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 1:17:5012. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I wondered about this hub....I have the switchable one purchased from Velo Orange and it works nice but want a hub for my daughter and thought of the unswitched version. My only concern.....does it seal against moisture as well or is this just hype? I've had no problems with my current hub but store it inside and haven't ridden it in the rain more than a dozen times. The $130 price is better so.......hmmm what to do.

Kelly

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 1:24:5012. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is the SP the brand Velo Orange was selling?  I just went to look and couldn't find a dyno hub on their site.  (though I've missed things before)  I had also looked at the supernova hub but it was as much as the SON28 or even the New SON which I would buy if spending that much money.

Kelly

Brian Hanson

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 1:30:2812. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kelly - where did you get the SP hub?

Brian
Seattle, WA

Kelly

Ken Mattina

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 1:45:4812. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I bought mine on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SP-hub-dynamo-dynohub-PV-8-24-28-and-36h-The-most-efficient-and-lightest-/280955382900?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416a3eec74

Ken
--
Where did the spring go?
Where did my hormones go?

-- Ray Davies

Peter Pesce

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 1:47:0312. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear your positive experience. I have one of these on order for my commuter.

Common wisdom seems to be that the SP is the same as the VO and Supernova. VO stopped selling theirs after a couple of months due to quality issues. I've never heard of quality issues with the SP branded ones out there, though.

eBay seems to be the best source for the SP. the guy selling them there appears to be the distributor for the US and Europe.

Pete in CT

charlie

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 2:43:0012. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Was wondering why VO stopped selling them...the "clutch wheel ears" were bent a little on mine but it works and I straightened them with no problem. It was probably dropped at some point. I have occasionally had the unit turn off after hitting a large bump requiring that I dismount and re-engage the clutch switch. This wouldn't happen on the switch-less model but.......I also have had trouble with my Lumotec Fly switch not keeping the light on requiring that I wiggle it which is very annoying. I may be switching to a Edeluxe or a Phillips front light but really wish for a switch-less head lamp with this hub. I know I  could use a halogen unit but LED lights are the best. I have had much more awareness and I think respect from auto drivers due to my daytime running lights. They can see me in the shadows on sunny days better and at dusk or when its overcast. Don't feel comfortable riding without them now that I have noticed a difference. Its not unlike riding a motorcycle....people just see you better when you have decent lighting on all the time.

Peter Pesce

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 3:02:1412. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kelly-
Do you have the SD or SV model? From my understanding of SP's nomenclature the "V" is the non-disc and the "D" is the 6 hole disc version. Also the "S" indicated the small wheel version, correct? Any feedback on low speed behavior of the S hub? I ordered the 700c wheel version, I believe it's the "P" series, because I don't mind a few extra grams and read one review where they noticed odd behavior of the S model at low speeds.
(apologies if I have this all completely bass-ackwards!)

Pete in CT

Kelly

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 15. 오후 4:21:1312. 9. 15.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have the PV-8 36 On the box they show the SV-8 SD-8 (switchable) and then the PV8 and PD-8  Non-switchable.
I bought mine on Ebay wiht free shipping.  I had some questions on a couple of things and when I asked I received quick responses.   So all seemed good.

I did go look at the Supernova site and the housings appear different though the descriptions seem very similar.

Kelly

Toshi Takeuchi

읽지 않음,
2012. 9. 17. 오후 5:11:1612. 9. 17.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use the PV-8 on my AHH and so far so good. Can't say about water
resistance, since I've never ridden it in the rain yet (installed this
year and haven't made it to the rainy season yet.)

Toshi in Oakland, CA

Tom Virgil

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 7. 오후 11:38:4313. 10. 7.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kelly,

I am contemplating wheel builds.  Thinking 32 hole, Velocity polished A23 rims (they seem to address some problems with Velocity Synergy in high dish).  Of course I want dynamo lighting.  When all is said and done, it is an expensive thing to do.  Got to looking around and found Shutter Precision.  (SP) I was also cued by the appearance of an SV-8/Velocity Synergy rim offering in "New Stuff" at the Rivendell site.  SV-8 looks to be very price competitive.  PV8 seems to be build like a brick outhouse but loses the price point advantage.  And there is the question of getting them in the U.S at all.  That being said, now that you have had the SD-8 for a year, how is it holding up?  They do make some bold claims on their web site.  There are some favorable reviews (google search, Bicycle Quarterly).

My use case is front and rear lighting for diminishing light following sunset.  I doubt that I will randonneur hours into the evening.

Thank you,

Tom

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 10:04:30 AM UTC-7, Kelly wrote:

Kelly

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 8. 오전 9:06:4713. 10. 8.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tom
The PV8 on my wife's Betty Foy, and the PV8 on the Holdsworth, including the other four I've built for friends bikes have all been holding up well. They have been ridden in raid / mud / light trails on tours etc.

The drag is undetectable and honestly I can't tell the difference when getting on bikes with Schmidt. My only complaint is how narrow the flanges are and that only from an aesthetics view point.

I've only built and used the PV and PD versions. Purchased all of them on eBay and received them usually within a week to ten days. Cost was in the 120 dollar price range.

I highly recommend them.

Kelly

Patrick Moore

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 8. 오전 11:27:0113. 10. 8.
받는사람 rbw-owners-bunch
I actually like the narrow hub, aesthetically, though I do wonder about the wheel's lateral strength. Still, I don't do front loading, nor do I corner at Jobst Brandt speed,so I hope it will be strong enough.

What is the difference between the "S" model and the "P" model? I forget which I have, but the drag seems about the same, to judge by spinning the front wheel, as with my SON 20 R.

Kelly

Kieran J

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 8. 오후 3:34:5413. 10. 8.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I bought a budget assembled wheel from the same seller, consisting of a Sanyo dyno hub laced to some kind of Vuelta A719-esque rim. Check his other listings, there is always one posted.

Good to deal with and the wheel is pretty darn good for 95 clams.

KJ

Tom Virgil

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 8. 오후 3:51:2213. 10. 8.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kelly,

Based on your experience and what I read around the web, I am impressed.  There are SV and PV models on ebay in the $125-135 "buy it now" range.  That is very good compared to the competition.

For Patrick Moore's benefit,

S = Small Dynamo Hub
P = Powerful Dynamo Hub
X = Extreme Dynamo Hub

D = Disc Brake
V = Cantilever, "V", or Sidepull (no accommodation on hub for disc) Brake

There are voltage and power plots for S, P, and X models on pages 7, 8, and 9 of the SP Catalog.  The catalog is here.

Thanks for the information and report of your experience.

Tom
V =

Tom Virgil

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 8. 오후 7:13:3313. 10. 8.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
More than I ever wanted to know about dynamo lighting outside of the Peter White site:  Deep Dive.  A bit of a Nederlands perspective, but thorough.

For sake of completeness:  Peter White.

meade anderson

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 12. 오전 10:37:3313. 10. 12.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I see the 650B SP hub and Velocity rim on Rivendell’s web site and the description has me puzzled.  “The 650B wheel will “most likely” supply enough power for headlight and taillight, but not for charging USB items.”  Now I’m not an electrical genius but I realize these dyno hubs won’t do all three at the same time but is there any reason you cannot charge USB items using one of the “adaptors” available during daytime riding?

I was thinking seriously about a SP Dyno hub for my 650B wheeled ride and part of the reason was to charge USB gadgets on long rides and tours.

Thoughts on this comment…maybe I need to touch base with the folks in Walnut Creek

thanks

Meade Anderson

Kelly

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 12. 오후 12:50:1113. 10. 12.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My experience tells me that you will be able to charge devices just fine.

Things I've found
IPhone - with screen on and running a route on mapmyride app will maintain a charge but not add to.
With phone just plugged in doing nothing it charges up quickly even while running lights.
It's more about the speed you ride.. If you are at 10 mph you are very close to maximum

I've seen same behaviors on shimano, sp and Schmidt. Of course they put out the same power mostly.

It seems to me a 650 wheel with a dyno designed for 700 would hit full power at lower speeds.

Kelly

Mike Schiller

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 12. 오후 6:44:4913. 10. 12.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm no expert on these but my research is that SV-8 is a 2.4 watt hub.  It works well with the modern lights but since it puts out less power you have to be at a higher speed to charge things like a GPS or iPhone.  The PV-8 is a 3 watt dyno and is a better match for charging devices.  The advantage of the SV-8 is that it's lighter weight and has less resistance so it's a better  for randonneuring and such.  The  PV-8 would be what I would choose for touring where you need to recharge your phone and things and you are traveling at a slower speed.

~mike

meade anderson

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 12. 오후 11:30:1013. 10. 12.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks,

If the SP came in a 36 hole version that would be even better…I only see the 32…

meade

IanA

읽지 않음,
2013. 10. 13. 오전 4:40:1113. 10. 13.
받는사람 rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It does: - IDC has them, but you might need to send them an email first to make sure you're getting the right one.

전체답장
작성자에게 답글
전달
새 메시지 0개