Easily turn an iOS device into a read/write USB stick - for free - in a few minutes

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 3:02:23 PM9/21/18
Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.

Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?
A: ?

Q: Can the current Mac dual boot to Ubuntu, or not?
A: ?

nospam

Sep 21, 2018, 3:09:51 PM9/21/18
In article <po3f7u$ugo$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen H. Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.
>
> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?

no, because there's no dvd drive anymore.

step into the future and use a usb stick.

> Q: Can the current Mac dual boot to Ubuntu, or not?

why do you repeat yourself?

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 3:49:01 PM9/21/18
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 15:09:50 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.
>>
>> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?
>
> no

The Apple users can only play silly semantic games.
Apple Apologists like nospam, are
a. Almost always wrong, and,
b. Never purposefully helpful.

Meanwhile, I asked the same question on the adult newsgroup, where adults
answered it helpfully and with references (where references are something
Apple Apologists are apparently deathly afraid of).

In stark contrast to what the Apple man children like nospam post,
here's what adults post on the adult newsgroups when I asked the same
question.

HINT: Yet again, when you ask a technical question on the adult newsgroups,
and ask the same question on the Apple newsgroups, all the Apple posters
can do is prove they're all children, to a child.

Here's what an _adult_ posted to the same question.

> Q: Can the Mac dual boot to Ubuntu or at least boot off a bootable DVD?
> A: ?

Yes. This 2018 Jun article tells how to make a bootable Ub USB with the
Mac and boot it and install it to a Mac part.

https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-linux-and-mac-os-4125733 How to
Install and Dual Boot Linux and Mac OS

> Q: If yes, does Ubuntu recognize the native Mac file system?
> A: ?

Yes; you just have to disable journaling in the HFS.

https://lifehacker.com/5702815/the-complete-guide-to-sharing-your-data-across-multiple-operating-systems
A Comprehensive Guide to Sharing Your Data Across Multi-Booting
Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs

--
Yet again this more evidence, yet again, that the Apple newsgroups are
comprised mostly of children who prove time and again they can't carry on

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 3:55:56 PM9/21/18
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 19:49:01 -0000 (UTC), Arlen H. Holder wrote:

> Yet again this more evidence, yet again, that the Apple newsgroups are
> comprised mostly of children who prove time and again they can't carry on
> an adult technical conversation consisting of either facts, or logic.

Special thanks go to "joe" who made me think of this brilliant solution!
What's the best way to copy someone's iDevice's photos to another user's MacBook locally?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/xEF1mtuvvJc>

Despite the fact that the Apple newsgroups are, arguably, comprised of
mostly man children who prove in every post that they lack both adult
comprehensive skills and any technical acumen whatsoever, Mike Easter's
references appear to support the fact that Ant could have *easily* solved
his iOS-to-Mac (and vice versa) problem in minutes.

All he needed to do was boot to Ubuntu from the Mac, which apparently
recognizes the Mac file system as well as it recognizes the Windows file
system, the Android file system, and the iOS file system.

The proposed procedure is brilliantly simple and wholly unrestricted:
a. Boot to Ubuntu
b. Slide the files (either way) between the iOS device & the Mac filesystem

This should work for *any* iOS device, even ones that Ant doesn't own,
which appears to be the case based on his thread over here where he has
been spectacularly unsuccessful following the advice containing imaginary
functionality that the (seemingly sadistic) Apple Apologists always spew.
What's the best way to copy someone's iDevice's photos to another user's MacBook locally?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/xEF1mtuvvJc>

Lewis

Sep 21, 2018, 4:11:06 PM9/21/18
In message <210920181509508583%nos...@nospam.invalid> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <po3f7u$ugo$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen H. Holder
> <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

>> Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.
>>
>> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?

> no, because there's no dvd drive anymore.

The 2015 MacBook can boot off a FreeBSD DVD if you connect and external
DVD drive, I'm at least 80% sure I did this.

> step into the future and use a usb stick.

Yes, much better and faster.

>> Q: Can the current Mac dual boot to Ubuntu, or not?

> why do you repeat yourself?

Booting into Linux is pretty trivial on any recent Mac.

--
"Send beer, words simply can't adequately express your gratitude" --
James Sedgwick

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 4:30:35 PM9/21/18
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:11:05 -0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:

> Booting into Linux is pretty trivial on any recent Mac.

Thanks Lewis for acting like an adult in your response.

While nospam said it won't work, I believe the adults on the Linux
newsgroup who said that it would.

So this idea which "joe" sparked, instantly turns any iOS device into a
read/write USB stick, in effect (even an iOS device you don't own, which
appears to be the case with Ant's problem that the adults are trying to
solve).

The solution that "joe" sparked simply needs the Mac to do two things:
a. Boot to Ubuntu (any way it can), and,
b. For Ubuntu to automatically recognize the Mac file system.

I'd test this brilliant idea that "joe" sparked, but I don't have a mac to
test it with (although I guess I could boot a library Mac to see if it lets
me).

The one thing we have to do to help Ant is help him learn how to "turn off
HFS+ journaling" on the Mac, where I see that's a common question on the
net, so it shouldn't be hard to do (nor problematic).

Do you, Lewis, have experience with turning off HFS+ journaling on the Mac?

joe

Sep 21, 2018, 4:38:06 PM9/21/18
On 9/21/2018 2:55 PM, Arlen H. Holder wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 19:49:01 -0000 (UTC), Arlen H. Holder wrote:
>
>> Yet again this more evidence, yet again, that the Apple newsgroups are
>> comprised mostly of children who prove time and again they can't carry on
>> an adult technical conversation consisting of either facts, or logic.
>
> Special thanks go to "joe" who made me think of this brilliant solution!
> What's the best way to copy someone's iDevice's photos to another user's MacBook locally?
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/xEF1mtuvvJc>
>
> Despite the fact that the Apple newsgroups are, arguably, comprised of
> mostly man children who prove in every post that they lack both adult
> comprehensive skills and any technical acumen whatsoever, Mike Easter's
> references appear to support the fact that Ant could have *easily* solved
> his iOS-to-Mac (and vice versa) problem in minutes.
>
> All he needed to do was boot to Ubuntu from the Mac, which apparently
> recognizes the Mac file system as well as it recognizes the Windows file
> system, the Android file system, and the iOS file system.
>
> The proposed procedure is brilliantly simple and wholly unrestricted:
> a. Boot to Ubuntu
> b. Slide the files (either way) between the iOS device & the Mac filesystem

Except it does not work that way. Your previous post indicated
journaling needs to be turned off. Without doing that you can't write to
the Mac disk. Do you expect Ant to reconfigure the other person's Mac?

For grins, I booted Ubuntu on a Mac, only the DCIM folder on the iPhone
was accessible, nothing else. Additionally, the Mac system disk was NOT
seen. So much for 'simple' and 'unrestricted'.

Connecting the iPhone to the MacBook, running Mac OS, and just importing
the photos seems much simpler and actually works.

> This should

'should' when translated means Arlen does not know what he talks about.

nospam

Sep 21, 2018, 5:52:42 PM9/21/18
In article <po3hvc$2v8$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen H. Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> >> Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.
> >>
> >> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?
> >
> > no
>
> The Apple users can only play silly semantic games.

once again, you snipped to alter context.

here's what i wrote:
In article <210920181509508583%nos...@nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?
>
> no, because there's no dvd drive anymore.
>
> step into the future and use a usb stick.

*you* said a dvd, which won't work because there's no dvd drive. one
could be connected but that's even more of a hassle than a usb stick.

it's also absurd to create a usb stick with ubuntu on it and boot from
it just to copy photos which can trivially be done in mac os. as usual,
you turn everything into a complete clusterfuck.

> Yes. This 2018 Jun article tells how to make a bootable Ub USB with the
> Mac and boot it and install it to a Mac part.

which is what i said.

joe

Sep 21, 2018, 7:38:47 PM9/21/18
On 9/21/2018 4:52 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> no
>>
>> The Apple users can only play silly semantic games.
>
> once again, you snipped to alter context.
>
> here's what i wrote:
> In article <210920181509508583%nos...@nospam.invalid>, nospam
> <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?
>>
>> no, because there's no dvd drive anymore.
>>
>> step into the future and use a usb stick.

He edited (added words) to one of my comments. You can't believe
anything he says.

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 10:54:49 PM9/21/18
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 15:38:03 -0500, joe wrote:

> 'should' when translated means Arlen does not know what he talks about.
> work for *any* iOS device, even ones that Ant doesn't own,

Hi "joe",
Please don't just give up (I never do).
I mean that sincerely, because just the fact you tried, means you're far
more intelligent than most Apple users prove themselves to be on this ng.

Now you know the types of issues I run into all the time. :)

I am going to treat you like an adult, and let you in on a little secret,
since you clearly tried to help Ant by doing some work to test out the
solution on the Mac.

Remember I got upset when the many fools said it was "obvious"?

Well, you're running into the _same_ type of issues that I already overcame
years ago. All pioneers who break through technical barriers run into such
types of issues.

Years ago I _overcame_ the same type of issues you're running into now.
That's why I can do in two minutes, what you can't do yet right now.

I don't say that condescendingly; I say that knowingly since you're the
first person to _try_ to get the Mac to do with iOS what I can already do
with Ubuntu and iOS, which means you have to use intelligence to figure out
the hurdles.

I didn't "just give up" the moment I ran into the same types of hurdles
you're running into now.

I overcame, years ago, those same types of hurdles you're running into now.
That took intelligence on my part.

Then I wrote the tutorial so others could "stand on my shoulders":
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/IFC52JXBQ1c>

It takes zero intelligence to *follow* my step-by-step tutorial, but it
took intelligence to figure out the tricks to make the entire iOS file
system not only visible, but *writeable*.

Now you can feel a little bit of how I felt when the morons said it was
"obvious", which simply means they're too stupid to understand the system.

It's like them telling us quantum mechanics is obvious.
Anyone who says that is a fool - since it's not obvious.

It took very intelligent people to figure it out, just as, in a much
smaller way, it took intelligence of me to figure out how to make the
entire iOS file system visible to Ubuntu for read and write, and to ensure
that Ubuntu read the entire visible file system on Windows (e.g., I had to
figure out to turn off hibernation on Windows).

I applaud you for testing this out on the Mac, and I implore you to not do
what most Apple users do all day, every day, which is "just give up" when
they run into a cross-platform issue that Apple MARKETING didn't script for
them to punch buttons.

Just as I was sure I'd solve the problem on Ubuntu/iOS/Linux/Android, if
you're *intelligent* about it, you'll easily overcome the hurdles you're
running into now.

The solution is never obvious except to the morons who have never done what
I've done so many times that I can't count, and that you're doing right
now, which is breaking new ground in our combined tribal knowledge.

Congratulations to you for trying. If I had a Mac, I'd have it solved I'm
sure, in a short while, perhaps with the help of the Mac users on this ng
(but maybe not, as Mac users are not linux users in any way, shape or
form).

If people like Tim Streater, nospam, Alan Browne, etc., get on this thread,
you'll *never* solve the problem - but if you can ask a question and if
people who are actually intelligent, like David Empson get on your thread,
I'm sure you'll solve the problems just like I did years ago.

My suggestion is to open a separate thread on the Mac users group to ask
people who are intelligent like David Empson to guide you past the hurdles
you're running into.

Please don't just give up (I never do).
Good luck ... I sincerely mean that.

When you figure it out, it will be as simple as it is for what I wrote up.

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 11:09:22 PM9/21/18
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 17:52:39 -0400, nospam wrote:

> once again, you snipped to alter context.

Once again, you provide *zero value* nospam.
a. You are technically clueless
b. You have zero helpful intent
c. You just guess (your credibility is worthless)

*All you _can_ do is play your silly games, nospam.*

Meanwhile, I did, in two minutes, what Ant has failed spectacularly to do
in two weeks (elapsed time) following your idiotic game playing.

> *you* said a dvd, which won't work because there's no dvd drive. one
> could be connected but that's even more of a hassle than a usb stick.

You're an idiot, nospam. A bona-fide idiot.
*You know full well you're playing silly semantic games again, nospam.*

> it's also absurd to create a usb stick with ubuntu on it and boot from
> it just to copy photos which can trivially be done in mac os. as usual,
> you turn everything into a complete clusterfuck.

The funny thing about you, nospam, is I don't have to say you're stupid.
*Every time you write, nospam, you prove you're an utter moron.*

You have absolutely zero idea of what *power* is available to you.

Everything you write proves that you can't even comprehend the fantastic
power & flexibility of being able to read and write to the entire visible
file system of any iOS device, any Windows machine, any Ubunut machine, any
Android device, (and soon, any Mac) on the planet ... simply by booting to
a competent operating system (and being intelligent about it).

I shake my head in disbelief that people like you can be _that_ stupid.

>> Yes. This 2018 Jun article tells how to make a bootable Ub USB with the
>> Mac and boot it and install it to a Mac part.
>
> which is what i said.

*For Christ' sake, nospam, can't you act like an adult once in your life?*

The poster "joe" has shown intelligence by pioneering the process, where I
pioneered a similar process that I wrote about here:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/IFC52JXBQ1c>

Just last week, you played your silly childish games with me regarding that
process, and here, you *continue* to play your silly childish games anew.

Why don't you admit you're an utter fool, nospam?
Just admit it.

You _can't_ possibly help "joe" overcome the same types of hurdles I
already (years ago) overcame for the similar process with Windows.

*For Christ' sake, nospam, can't you act like an adult once in your life?*

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 11:20:59 PM9/21/18
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:38:46 -0500, joe wrote:

> He edited (added words) to one of my comments. You can't believe
> anything he says.

Look "joe",
Stop playing the silly games that nospam loves to play.

I have pioneered many breakthroughs in our combined tribal knowledge, which
you will either accept as fact or continue to play silly childish games.

You're running into the same types of issues I solve all the time.

I have an advantage over you, "joe", since I make use of the Windows users
(e.g., Paul) and the Linux users (e.g., Mike Easter), where you're stuck
with the low-life Apple users (e.g., Tim Streater) and the worthless Apple
trolls (e.g., nospam).

I'm positive you will resolve the minor issues you're running into trying
to get the Mac to play nice with iOS. I certainly (almost) *always* solve
the issues I run into - I have almost never failed - simply because I use
*intelligence* to solve the types of minor problems you're running into
now.

Clearly I have *experience* solving these problems as I'm the only one in
any of these newsgroups who can do what I proved I did, which was access
the entire visible file system of all four devices, both read and write,
simultaneously, with zero software over the OS itself.

But it didn't happen without *intelligence*, "joe".
It takes *intelligence* "joe", to solve the minor issues you're having.

For example, I had to learn the hard way that on Windows, Ubuntu won't
recognize the entire file system unless hibernation is turned off. Who the
hell knew that? Not me. Until I figured it out.

Likewise, who the hell knew that you had to remove the ":3" to make the
entire visible file system of iOS writeable? Not me. Until I figured it
out.

Once you figure those kinds of things out, _then_ the morons like nospam
tell you it's "obvious", but they're just morons, which they proved since I
asked _all_ of them what the tricks were, and _none_ of them knew them
(even though I had documented these tricks long ago).

Look "joe", I've been where you are so many times I can't count it, where I
*pioneered* cross platform solutions that *nobody* else could do until I
figured it out for them (then they tell me it's obvious, hehhehheh).

You're running into the _same_ types of minor issues.
You can roll over and play dead, "joe", and "just give up".
Certainly that's what most Apple users do day in and day out, as you know.

Or, you can use *intelligence*, "joe", and *solve* those minor issues.

My suggestion?
Stay away from fools like nospam, Jolly Roger, Savageduck, Lewis, Tim
Streater, Alan Brown, etc.

They can only play silly fifth grade childish games.

I suggest you ask David Empson, one of the only actual intelligent people
on this newsgroup, for advice on overcoming the minor stumbling blocks
you're running into.

I'm confident if I had a Mac I'd sovle them, as I almost never fail, and
you know I already solved them for the Windows side, so yhou know that's
not an idle comment.

You can solve them too.
You need to be *intelligent* about it.
You need to stay away from the morons like nospam, who simply waste your
time.

Ask David Empson.
He can help.

In the end, you can write a tutorial like I did over here, but for the Mac.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/IFC52JXBQ1c>

Good luck. I mean that sincerely, as now you're doing what I have time
thousands of times - which is breaking new ground in our capabilities.

Alan Baker

Sep 21, 2018, 11:45:01 PM9/21/18
On 2018-09-21 3:02 PM, Arlen H. Holder wrote:
> Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.
>
> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?
> A: ?

I don't want to boot to Ubuntu.

That's why I bought a Mac.

:-)

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 21, 2018, 11:56:21 PM9/21/18
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 23:46:38 -0400, Alan Baker wrote:

> I don't want to boot to Ubuntu.
>
> That's why I bought a Mac.

I just remembered it was "Alan Baker", not "Alan Browne" that I needed to
warn the user "joe" to stay away from because he's an utter moron.

Thanks, Alan Baker, for bringing your name up, as I had accidentally
accused "Alan Browne" of being the worthless moron that you are.

HINT: You'd _never_ be able to comprehend a word of this tutorial.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/IFC52JXBQ1c>

Back on topic, to the user "joe", just avoid the morons like nospam, Tim
Streater, _Alan Baker_, Savageduck, Lewis, BK@OnRamp, Chris, etc., because
all they _can_ do is play their silly fifth grade childish games.

On the Linux group, we've made some progress fleshing out your minor
problems with getting Ubuntu to *write* to both the iOS file system and the
Mac.

I'm confident if you can find someone *intelligent* on the Mac system
group, like David Empson, you'll solve the minor issues you're running
into, just as I solved them for the system I put in place.

In the end, the brilliance of this system will be that, simply by booting
to Ubuntu, you'll be able to simultaneously have read/write access to
a. Any iOS device on the planet
b. Any Android device on the planet
c. Any Windows machine
d. Any Linux machine
e. Any Mac machine

Please, "joe", don't "just give up" (I never do).

Interfacing with the real world is always harder to do with Apple products,
but it can be done.

*You just have to find someone on this newsgroup who is _intelligent_.*
HINT: It's not Alan Baker, nospam, Tim Streater, Jolly Roger, etc.

Ant

Sep 22, 2018, 4:59:36 AM9/22/18
Yes.
--
Quote of the Week: "Still we live meanly, like ants;... like pygmies we
fight with cranes;... Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify...
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 22, 2018, 7:37:30 AM9/22/18
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 03:59:31 -0500, Ant wrote:

> Yes.

Once the user "joe" figures out the minor kinks, he will be able to show
you how to connect any iOS device to any Mac and then boot to Ubuntu which
will instantly recognize all the file systems, both read and write.

Pce "joe" figures out the minor kinds, in the future, you, or anyone else
on the planet, can simply connect the iOS device and slide thousands of
large files both ways with the same reliablity and ease that you slide
files into folders today on the Mac.

I went through the same process "joe" is going throught now, and solved
every hurdle (which is why I know the process was not "obvious" at first).

It takes intelligence to solve problems, but it seems that "joe" has that,
plus, if he asks questions of experts (like I do), he'll figure out how to
get past the minor hurdles on the Mac that he's running into.

We're on your side, Ant, where all we want is for everyone to have complete
and total freedom to move any file from anywhere to any where else using
100% native operating systems, and without a single restriction.

We've _always_ done things that way - with total & complet freedom, ever
since our first Mac was integrated with Linux and Windows (using Columbia
AppleTalk (CAP) and Samba (smbclient) and SMB.

In those days (mid nineties?) we made common directories for all three
systems (dealing with resource and data forks from the Mac).

Then we had to solve the same issues for iPods, where we learned how to
connect any iPod from anywhere on the planet to these systems so we could
transfer files back and forth.

Then I solved this problem for the current line of iOS devices and the
current line of Windows computers (where I wrote the tutorial below):
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/IFC52JXBQ1c>

The user "joe", who is helping you, Ant, is running into the same type of
problems we've been solving for years, where I'm confident, if he's
intelligent and if he doesn't just give up, he'll solve the minor issues
he's having, particularly if there are Mac users of any technical merit who
can help him (such as David Empson).

If "joe" only gets posts from morons like nospam & Alan Baker & Tim
Streater, then "joe" will fail though.

Everything now depends on the quality of technical acumen that the Mac
users can provide him. Luckily for me, on the linux ng, that quality is
stellar. On the Mac? Well, so far it's been dismal ... but David Empson
hasn't stepped in so there's hope yet as he's clearly intelligent.

It takes intelligence to solve the minor issues that "joe" is running into.

Wolffan

Sep 22, 2018, 9:39:35 AM9/22/18
On 21 Sep 2018, Arlen H. Holder wrote
(in article <po3f7u$ugo$1...@news.mixmin.net>):

> Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.
>
> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?

if you get an USB DVD or BluRay drive, yes. I have, on different Macs, an
Apple SuperDrive USB DVD drive and a Pioneer USB BR drive. I can and have
booted assorted Linux (including various Ubuntu) and Windows install DVDs
using them. Otherwise, no, as current Macs don’t have DVD drives built in.

> A: ?
>
> Q: Can the current Mac dual boot to Ubuntu, or not?

Yes. Quite easily.

> A: ?

Wolffan

Sep 22, 2018, 9:54:41 AM9/22/18
On 22 Sep 2018, Arlen H. Holder wrote
(in article <po59ho$kmd$1...@news.mixmin.net>):

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 03:59:31 -0500, Ant wrote:
>
> > Yes.
>
> Once the user "joe" figures out the minor kinks, he will be able to show
> you how to connect any iOS device to any Mac and then boot to Ubuntu which
> will instantly recognize all the file systems, both read and write.

No, it won’t. Ubuntu will NOT be able to read/write HFS+ file systems if
hfsprogs is not installed, and hfsprogs is not installed as a default. Users
wishing to read/write HFS+ from Ubuntu must follow the instructions at
https://askubuntu.com/questions/332315/how-to-read-and-write-hfs-journaled-
external-hdd-in-ubuntu-without-access-to-os

There is no native methods for Ubuntu to read/write APFS.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/991695/is-it-possible-to-mount-apfs-apples-
newest-file-system-in-ubuntu-17-10

Paragon Software has an add-on extension which can do it.
https://www.paragon-software.com/business/apfs-linux/

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 22, 2018, 10:23:32 AM9/22/18
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:39:34 -0400, Wolffan wrote:

>> Q: Can the current Mac dual boot to Ubuntu, or not?
>
> Yes. Quite easily.

Thank you Wolffan for the very useful information to help Mac users easily
interface in the real world with their Windows, Ubuntu, iOS, & Android
devices, using the mobile device as a read/write USB stick, of sorts.

The closest thing, to date, the Linux users found, by searching, was:
<http://refit.sourceforge.net/info/boot_process.html>
Apple has at least three of their own file systems now.
They have HFS, and HFS+, but they've also added AFS
more recently. While GParted has support for HFS+
(from my Mac G4 box), when I attempted to change
a partition, the partition table got trashed. Rather
than being worried about merely writing to a partition,
I'd be more concerned about getting too adventurous with
GParted. I prepared in advance, and had a backup, so
"nobody got hurt".

Your information was passed on to the Linux users as follows:
Ubuntu will NOT be able to read/write HFS+ file systems if hfsprogs
is not installed, and hfsprogs is not installed as a default.
Users wishing to read/write HFS+ from Ubuntu must follow the
instructions at
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/332315/how-to-read-and-write-hfs-journaled-external-hdd-in-ubuntu-without-access-to-os>
There is no native methods for Ubuntu to read/write APFS.
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/991695/is-it-possible-to-mount-apfs-apples-newest-file-system-in-ubuntu-17-10>
Paragon Software has an add-on extension which can do it.
<https://www.paragon-software.com/business/apfs-linux/>

Together we can resolve this age-old problem, where the minor issues will
be overcome such that anyone on the planet should be able to plug in any
common consumer mobile device such that the entire visible file system
would be "mounted" read/write onto any desktop on the planet.

That's _always_ the goal (total & complete power, freedom, & flexibility),
for every device we own.

I own Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android devices, so I can't test the Mac
solutions unfortunately.

a. Obviously it's best for the Mac/iOS solution to be native, but we will
add software when and if needed.
b. Obviously it's best for that added software to be free and open source,
but we'll add proprietary free software when needed.
c. It's only when there is a cost involved that the universal solutions
plummets, since then it's not available instantly to everyone as easily as
it is with the free and native solutions we already proposed which work
brilliantly.

Thanks for the added information, where I _knew_ there was a technical
person on this newsgroup who could help the user "joe" get past his minor
hurdles, where "joe" himself is attempting to help the user "Ant" who still
hasn't been successful copying 400 photos from an iOS device to the Mac
even after two weeks of trying with AirDrop.

Let's hope "joe" can incorporate your helpful solutions above into his
tests so that he can get past the minor issues (which always happen in such
things) to arrive at a new solution that everyone can benefit from.

Wolffan

Sep 23, 2018, 8:29:19 AM9/23/18
On 22 Sep 2018, Arlen H. Holder wrote
(in article <po5j92$38q$1...@news.mixmin.net>):

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:39:34 -0400, Wolffan wrote:
>
> > > Q: Can the current Mac dual boot to Ubuntu, or not?
> >
> > Yes. Quite easily.
>
> Thank you Wolffan for the very useful information to help Mac users easily
> interface in the real world with their Windows, Ubuntu, iOS, & Android
> devices, using the mobile device as a read/write USB stick, of sorts.

It is trivial to run Ubuntu on a Mac. Getting Ubuntu to do any actual work is
not so trivial. In particular, users have to find drivers for various pieces
of hardware which ship with Macs but which are not supported out of the box
by Ubuntu. Apple supplies drivers for Windows with Boot Camp
https://support.apple.com/boot-camp but Linux users are on their own. Out of
the box Ubuntu will not read/write HFS+ or APFS volumes, which means that it
can’t do anything with natively formatted Mac or iOS devices. There is a
way to read/write HFS+ from Ubuntu, but it has to be installed and turned on,
which means that the user must have experience with Linux in general and the
command line in particular. The vast majority of Mac and Windows users stay
as far away as possible from the command line. The situation is far worse on
iOS; at least Mac and Windows ship with command-line-capable utilities (the
Terminal on Mac, and CMD and PowerShell on Windows) but users would have to
track down and install command line tools such as
http://osxdaily.com/2018/01/08/get-terminal-app-ios-command-line/ for use in
iOS. Worse, all new iOS and Mac systems which use SSD storage (which would be
all of them except for some Mac minis) and which are running newer operating
systems (anything released in the last two years) are formatted APFS, and
there is no native Ubuntu method for reading/writing APFS and it is unlikely
that there will be one for quite some time. There are 3rd-party methods,
notably from Paragon.

I run Ubuntu (and Win10, and Win7) on Macs from inside virtual machines.
Parallels and VMWare talk to the hardware, so there are no driver or
read/write issues. Booting Ubuntu on a Mac means that you have a Ubuntu
machine which will talk to Mac hardware, including secondary storage
formatted with HFS+ or APFS, only with difficulty. It is much simpler to use
the built-in tools which ship with Macs to talk to other systems.

Alan Browne

Sep 23, 2018, 11:30:38 AM9/23/18
On 2018-09-21 15:09, nospam wrote:
> In article <po3f7u$ugo$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen H. Holder
> <arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> Simple direct yes or no question for the Apple "experts" on this ng.
>>
>> Q: Can the current Mac boot to a Ubuntu bootable DVD, or not?
>
> no, because there's no dvd drive anymore.

You can still hook up a DVD drive. I'm pretty sure you can boot from it
- just hold the "C" key at startup. Will EFI allow it? Not sure anymore.

IAC the best way to operate Linux on a Mac is to put it into a virtual
machine under Fusion, Parallels or other VM managers.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 25, 2018, 12:16:44 AM9/25/18
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 08:29:18 -0400, Wolffan wrote:

> Out of
> the box Ubuntu will not read/write HFS+ or APFS volumes, which means that it
> can┤ do anything with natively formatted Mac or iOS devices.

We found plenty of solutions though, most of which were FOSS, which allow
Ubuntu to read HFS+ and APFS partitions.

> The vast majority of Mac and Windows users stay
> as far away as possible from the command line.

Most of us are wise old men here, where we grew up on the command line.

> There are 3rd-party methods, notably from Paragon.

Thanks for letting me know about Paragon, which also showed up in the
threads on how to get Windows to read Linux partitions.

> I run Ubuntu (and Win10, and Win7) on Macs from inside virtual machines.

Since you run Windows, these details may be of use to you:
<http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/EOP3G3NM/quick-assessment-of-3-windows-tools-to-read-write-linux-filesystems-on-dual-boot-desktops>

A quick summary of Windows tools that read Linux dual-boot partitions are:
1. *7-zip*
<http://7-zip.org/download.html
2. *Linux Reader*
<https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/>
3. *Ext2Read*
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/>
4. *Ext2Fsd*
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/files/Ext2fsd/0.69/>
5. *Ext4Explorer*
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext4explore/?source=directory>
6. *Paragon*
<https://www.paragon-software.com/business/extfs-for-windows/>

The good news is that we (almost) never fail to be able to do whatever we
want, on whatever platform we want, to move any file we want from any place
we want on any operating system we want, whether that be
- The desktop (Mac, Linux, Windows), or
- The mobile device (iOS, Android)

Almost never (if ever) do we install restrictive proprietary software,
since that's the wrong thing to do in almost every situation.

Daniel Cohen

Sep 25, 2018, 3:08:19 AM9/25/18
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

> IAC the best way to operate Linux on a Mac is to put it into a virtual
> machine under Fusion, Parallels or other VM managers.

Perhaps worth mentioning that there is a free Parallels Lite. You can
use it for Linux or other version of MacOS. If you want to use it for
Windows you have to pay.

--
<http://www.decohen.com>
The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives

Wolffan

Sep 25, 2018, 9:42:57 AM9/25/18
On 25 Sep 2018, Daniel Cohen wrote
(in article<1nvmgzd.1nhk1h21d999lvN%dcohe...@talktalk.net>):

> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
> > IAC the best way to operate Linux on a Mac is to put it into a virtual
> > machine under Fusion, Parallels or other VM managers.
>
> Perhaps worth mentioning that there is a free Parallels Lite. You can
> use it for Linux or other version of MacOS. If you want to use it for
> Windows you have to pay.

There’s a free version of VMWare for Windows and Linux.
https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_wor
kstation_player/15_0

Ant

Sep 26, 2018, 1:15:30 AM9/26/18
In comp.mobile.ipad Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2018, Daniel Cohen wrote
> (in article<1nvmgzd.1nhk1h21d999lvN%dcohe...@talktalk.net>):

> > Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
> >
> > > IAC the best way to operate Linux on a Mac is to put it into a virtual
> > > machine under Fusion, Parallels or other VM managers.
> >
> > Perhaps worth mentioning that there is a free Parallels Lite. You can
> > use it for Linux or other version of MacOS. If you want to use it for
> > Windows you have to pay.

> There???s a free version of VMWare for Windows and Linux.
> https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_wor
> kstation_player/15_0

Yes, but it doesn't do snapshots and other features.
--
Quote of the Week: "There's an ant crawling up your back in the nighttime." --They Might Be Giants' Ant Song

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 26, 2018, 7:38:28 AM9/26/18
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 00:15:25 -0500, Ant wrote:

>> There???s a free version of VMWare for Windows and Linux.
>> https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_wor
>> kstation_player/15_0
>
> Yes, but it doesn't do snapshots and other features

While virtual machines have their place, we're all old men who have been
doing the "emulation" thing for decades.

IMHO, VMs end up being slower, less functional, and more complicated than
just booting to the desired OS, and then accessing _all_ the files of all
the systems simultaneously:
a. Desktops (Mac, Windows, & Linux)
b. Mobile devices (iOS, & Android)
c. Peripherals (cameras, external HDDs, flash cards, etc.)

If you simply need the *files* simultaneously on any or all common consumer
platforms, a virtual machine is, IMHO, far more than you need since all you
need for files are *drivers*, which we've proved exist for all the desktops
out there, for simultaneous full safe read/write access to the Mac,
Windows, & Linux filesystems.

The virtual machine is only needed, IMHO, if you wish to run programs
inside that VM, which is fundamentally a far different task that the
trivially simple task of copying any file from any platform on any device
on the planet to any other device on the p;planet, in seconds.

I realize what I wrote above will be well above most Apple users'
comprehension capacity, so I leave it at that.

Arlen H. Holder

Sep 26, 2018, 7:43:55 AM9/26/18
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 09:54:40 -0400, Wolffan wrote:

> No, it won┤. Ubuntu will NOT be able to read/write HFS+ file systems if
> hfsprogs is not installed, and hfsprogs is not installed as a default.

I know you know this, Wolffan, since you're the _only_ person on this
entire newsgroup who knows _anything_ about cross platform compatibility,
so my next sentence isn't for you ... it's for them.

Installing hfsprogs is literally, trivial.

If a user can type his name, and spell it correctly, he can install
hfsprogs.

If _that_ is the hurdle that the user "joe" cried like a baby about, then I
think it explains a _lot_ why a certain class of people gravitate to Apple
products where they only punch buttons with fancy emojis that Apple
Marketing directs them to punch.

For "normal" adults, running a single line to install hfsprogs, is not
something to cry about like "joe" incessantly did, the moment he had to
actually do something that wasn't a button Apple Marketing gave him.

*All the user "joe" proved was that Apple users love to "just give up".*

Arlen Holder

Sep 23, 2019, 6:14:11 PM9/23/19
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 14:07:56 +0200, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>> Do you keep most of your photographs and videos in your iPhone like a
>> digital hoarder? Just wondering. :)
>
> Iphone, iPad, MacBook Air und MacBook Pro have all pix on the device and
> in addition in the iCloud as well as in Time Machine.
> At the moment we talk about 35K pictures.

TECHNOLOGY (and understanding how to use it to your advantage):
o I store nothing on purpose, ever, on the net (including the cloud).
o And, in essence, I use the iOS iPad as a "smart USB stick".

Now that I have a phablet phone with a large screen & long life...
o I mainly use the iOS 11.x iPad as a 128GB USB stick for movies.
o And, as a videotaping platform for capturing technology lectures.

Hence...
1. I often slide feature length movies to the iPad over USB
2. In addition, I directly video technology lectures on the iPad
3. And, of course, I snap lecture whiteboard photos on the iPad

All are stored on the iPad only until I need space for more.
o Then I simply slide all captured files to Windows over USB

Where the iPad mainly serves two fundamental functions:
a. It's a USB stick that can spap pictures & record videos
b. It's a USB stick that can play feature-length movies

When full, I delete the feature length movies.
o And I slide the videos & pictures to any Windows/Linux desktop I want.

Using any desktop on the planet (usually dual boot though),
and, of course, without ever installing the iTunes' abomination
(which means I don't need no stinkin' Apple ID to manage things).